• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
Thanks to the Rihanna stans for helping me push that last page through...

Here is my real list. I omitted using songs from my faves so that bias wouldn't effect my judgement. I also made a checklist of things that each song had to have in order to make the list:

- I actually purchased the song.
- The lyrics interested me.
- I listen to the song often.
- Considered "Pop" or apart of a pop sub-genre.
- And of course, had to be released in 2012.

So here it is...

Botty's Top 5 Songs of 2012

#5​

#4​

#3​

#2​

#1​

Thoughts?
qzpll.gif

And yes, I know I used footage from other songs' videos for some of my choices. Who cares?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Not botty thinking he's so important to bloat this thread with his favorite singles.

But yeah, "Something Inside" is so amazing. She's such a great artist and that song slayed me.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Same thing happened to Gaga right? 1.1 mil the first week (440,000 99cent sales boost) and a second week at 174,000 for an 84% drop.

RED 1,208,598 - 344,249
Take Me Home 540k - 176,000
BTW 1.1 - 174,000

Unapologetic 230k - 72,356k

Those sales are only comparable if you take percentage drop but otherwise they shouldnt be compared or used in the same sentence.

Koodo

Banned
Thoughts?
qzpll.gif
Beautiful list, botbot.

I completely agree with #1.
g6DIz.gif

I'm not sure if Sweet Nothing will end up in my TOP 5 (or TOP 10), but I must also vouch for Florence's amazing vocals on the track. They make the song great despite Calvin Arid's staleness.

Kyon

Banned
If this is part of the criteria, my list just got REALLY easy to make.

5. Christina Aguilera - Your Botty
4. Rihanna - Numb
3. Chris Brown - Turn Up The Music
2. Rihanna - No Love Allowed
1. Rihanna - Diamonds

Bless this list
g6DIz.gif

Except replace Numb with Stay and No Love Allowed with Ride

RED 1,208,598 - 344,249
Take Me Home 540k - 176,000
BTW 1.1 - 174,000

Unapologetic 230k - 72,356k

Those sales are only comparable if you take percentage drop but otherwise they shouldnt be compared or used in the same sentence.

Because Unapologetic was better than the rest of that trash, right?

iUGjTLrhAPsEB.gif

botty

Banned
If this is part of the criteria, my list just got REALLY easy to make.

5. Christina Aguilera - Your Botty
4. Rihanna - Numb
3. Chris Brown - Turn Up The Music
2. Rihanna - No Love Allowed
1. Rihanna - Diamonds

It was my own criteria. I don't see how people can claim to stan for a song, yet not support the artist by purchasing it. But that's just me.
g6DIz.gif

botty

Banned
Beautiful list, botbot.

I completely agree with #1.
g6DIz.gif

I'm not sure if Sweet Nothing will end up in my TOP 5 (or TOP 10), but I must also vouch for Florence's amazing vocals on the track. They make the song great despite Calvin Arid's staleness.

Bless your aWAREness campaign. To think that I might have gone through 2012 without hearing "Something Inside"...

iZVnwfK95NAqs.gif

Bladenic

Yes, praise Allah that Koodo did the absolute most promo for Jessie Ware. If not for him, I don't think I would have ever heard her music and been deprived of the airy wonders of 110%, amongst the other great songs from Devotion.

Bless.

Trigger

Botty that post is flawless. Raising the bar on reviews tbh.

Yes, praise Allah that Koodo did the absolute most promo for Jessie Ware. If not for him, I don't think I would have ever heard her music and been deprived of the airy wonders of 110%, amongst the other great songs from Devotion.

Bless.

Indeed.

working on my album list

iwQFQ898psEa3.gif

Working on my ballot. I need to listen to more music lol....

Having such a hard time coming up with enough names of songs I really liked.

(could I include Kiss You from 1D under the assumption that it will be released as a single before Dec 31st?)

Majmun

Talking about aWAREness...

My top 15 best singles of the year

01. Jessie Ware - Wildest Moments
02. Frank Ocean - Pyramids
03. Lana Del Rey - Blue Jeans
04. Miguel - Adorn
05. Grimes - Genesis
06. Frank Ocean - Thinking About You
07. Florence and the Machine - Never Let Me Go
08. M.I.A. - Bad Girls
09. Azealia Banks - 1991
10. Lana Del Rey - Summertime Sadness
11. Wynter Gordon - Stimela
12. Kimbra - Two Way Street
13. Azealia Banks - Van Vogue
14. Solange - Losing You
15. Jessie Ware - Running

Ready for the popgaf grammies
b80efe23.gif

I will have to get back to you on that since there is no clear signs that it will yet

ibaMLSpoKQDwEY.gif

Now that I am writing this list I realize how little music I actually like in a given year. I tend to buy 4/5 albums and maybe a dozen singles a per year....

Last year would have been much easier. This year all the hype was taken up by We Are Young, Gangnam Style, Call Me Maybe, and Somebody That I Use To Know.........none of which are getting votes from me.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Sigh. I ran through my 'five unreleased tracks' pretty quickly. So many album songs from just the end of the year that slayed my existence. Not complaining, just sayin'.

JT and Bey did have a collab before, and it wasn't exactly a smash hit.

Yeah....doesn't change the expectations game. When you are an Icon (or two Icons in this case), nothing short of a smashing success is considered a win.

(with the obvious exceptions of icons that have been flopping for years)

Majmun

JT and Bey did have a collab before, and it wasn't exactly a smash hit.

What are you talking about??? That wasn't a single you ho
iAeGfN9hwWwP2.gif

Both JT and Beyonce are in need for a comeback. This is going to be good. Y'all can panic all you want.

Superbowl can't come soon enough
b80efe23.gif

The comments on that article are so predictable.

ediT: You know, I'd be offended if I were Ke$ha. Spending your entire career becoming a bada$$ pop star and then getting accused of being a boring ass rock star? Simply insulting *.*

New M.I.A. track... apology for the album delay seems like. Probably a demo, doesn't seem like an album track or she would have said. Cool direction though:

http://miatranslations.tumblr.com/post/37148738447/arulartokalatomayatomatangi-new-miauniverse

I'm not sure I like the sound of this, but I'll keep paying attention (*.*) because VEEKI LEEKZS or whatever it was called was flawless.

Trigger

The comments on that article are so predictable.

From the comment section said:
A couple of points that keep me from taking this article even slightly seriously:

- Ke$ha's music is obviously and blatantly pre-fabricated. It's a prevalent practice in current pop, and at bottom is largely market-driven. Hardly the stuff of rebels.

- And her image as a bad girl/party girl/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is even more pre-fabricated than her music. A "great rock star" (to use your term) generally possesses authenticity - her shtick is the opposite of that.

It's giving me GAF OT teas tbh.
bhuHH.gif

Bladenic

What are you talking about??? That wasn't a single you ho
iAeGfN9hwWwP2.gif

Both JT and Beyonce are in need for a comeback. This is going to be good. Y'all can panic all you want.

Superbowl can't come soon enough
b80efe23.gif

Until the End of Time was a single, at least the duet version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom