• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Wii U going to do in 2013?

They need an important first party title in the spring. Something to keep the system going and build a consumer base before the fall competitors arrive.

I don't think Pikmin 3 will be it. In fact I'm pretty sure it will bomb commercially. Pikmin 1 and 2 both sold something like a million units each. That's not exactly an IP with a bright future. I know this may seem silly, especially on GAF, but the hype for Pikmin 3 seems almost manufactured to me. When I heard it was being made I didn't give it a second thought. I enjoyed the first two games, yet they weren't by any means on par with Nintendo's other IPs to me, but I digress.

They need Mario Kart U in the spring, or something similar. Fun for the whole family, but a Nintendo staple as well.

syko de4d

Was there even a single Wii U game at the VGAs? Even the new MGS and DS2 which just got announced are for everything but.

Third party's seem to have given up before they even start.

can´t remember to see one WiiU logo at the VGA. And Dark Souls 2 site only has PC, xbox360 and PS3 logo and the "fake" site from Moby Dick Studio only has XBox360 and PS3 logo.

prwxv3

can´t remember to see one WiiU logo at the VGA. And Dark Souls 2 site only has PC, xbox360 and PS3 logo and the "fake" site from Moby Dick Studio only has XBox360 and PS3 logo.

castlevania has a good chance to be on it. But not having Dark Souls 2 or GTA5 is not good.

zroid

Banned
I don't think Pikmin 3 will be it. In fact I'm pretty sure it will bomb commercially. Pikmin 1 and 2 both sold something like a million units each. That's not exactly an IP with a bright future. I know this may seem silly, especially on GAF, but the hype for Pikmin 3 seems almost manufactured to me. When I heard it was being made I didn't give it a second thought. I enjoyed the first two games, yet they weren't by any means on par with Nintendo's other IPs to me, but I digress.

Many GAFfers consider the Pikmin games to be among the best Nintendo has produced. The hype's definitely not fake, but you're right, it's a modestly successful series, at best. Based on the lofty expectations inevitable for a game with such a long dev time, this will probably bomba.

prwxv3

Many GAFfers consider the Pikmin games to be among the best Nintendo has produced. The hype's definitely not fake, but you're right, it's a modestly successful series, at best. Based on the lofty expectations inevitable for a game with such a long dev time, this will probably bomba.

I dont think it will bomba. Its the most anticipated game for the WiiU and probably most the people that bought the WiiU at launch are planning on getting it. It should do ok.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
E3 will be the decider, but I'm not holding my breath. As of now 2013 for the Wii U is abysmal.

I think the big problem was that their launch titles consisted of games that a lot/most of us already had.

Having a rough launch is nothing new in this industry. Everything seems perfect until you send it out into the wild. Although the first day patch was terrible. That's the problem of committing to a launch date when all of the software isn't ready, but is ready before the product is officially on the shelves.

Darryl

Banned
E3 will be the decider, but I'm not holding my breath. As of now 2013 for the Wii U is abysmal.

i'm curious if they'll even do anything at E3, either. it really looks like they're trying to find another way to do game announcements/advertisement. they weren't at the VGAs, and their presence at E3 this year (or 2?) was a joke. we don't have any significant first-party 3DS announcements. something is up, IMO.

i'm really blown away by the hype this game is getting. i thought it was always one of those titles that people talked about getting, but never did. i suppose we'll find out soon enough, though.

i'm curious if they'll even do anything at E3, either. it really looks like they're trying to find another way to do game announcements/advertisement. they weren't at the VGAs, and their presence at E3 this year (or 2?) was a joke. we don't have any significant first-party 3DS announcements. something is up, IMO.

i'm really blown away by the hype this game is getting. i thought it was always one of those titles that people talked about getting, but never did. i suppose we'll find out soon enough, though.

I actually like the concept of Nintendo Direct. Do a one hour showcase every month about your stuff, through your channels/websites/whatever.

They get to control the presentation aspect of it, and it keeps a steady stream of news coming in for consumers.

I would actually prefer it if every major publisher started doing something similar instead of having E3.

You can predict those pressers to a tee at this point: Microsoft - 15 minute Call of Duty gameplay. Xbox OS features/additions, Kinect garbage, dance game, third party "core" title, you get the point.

prwxv3

They better not have fucking WiiUFit at the E3 press conference. They can have a logo at the conference and demos units on the show flow and thats it.

Striek

It'll probably be slow going until a pricedrop and/or more heavy hitters. Both are coming in 2013 though, no doubt about it, so next holidays should see a turn-around.

Nintendos baffling failure to secure more third-party AAA titles is a big loss for Wii U gamers and themselves.

The only big title from third parties in the first half of 2013 announced for Wii U is Rayman Legends. All the other systems are getting a Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, Tomb Raider, BioShock, and Dead Space, and possibly Grand Theft Auto as well.

Alex

It depends entirely on what software it can get that lights a spark for it. It's in a bit of a rough spot as it's expanded audience has likely moved on and Nintendo is doing next to nothing to appeal to the hobbyist group. Even their own core fangroup seems a little fatigued at the endless franchise refreshes and general missteps.

My feeling is it will wind up akin to the 3DS in the US. It'll chug along well enough to sell a few Nintendo games, but that'll be about the gist of it...of course that's why I bought it, so I'd be ok with that.

Really, Nintendo needs to spend some money. This ultra conservative angle isn't healthy when they could be expanding and covering all these bases and problems themselves. They also need to get off their ass and announce whatever they're working on because their 2013 lineup is an absolute travesty at the moment.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!

Pikmin2 multiplayer was amazing.

Anyways, a key difference to the Wii so far is that people seem to like the system more once they actually have it. Was kind of the opposite with the Wii. It will be a slower burn but I wouldn't write it off.

RM8

I'm honestly a bit pessimistic about WiiU at the moment. I'm sure it'll be more than worth owning, but I can see it being one of Nintendo's worst selling systems. Of course it's way too early to tell right now. "Losing" systems that don't die usually get very unique and interesting libraries, so from a gamer point of view I'm really looking forward to it regardless of how successful it is.

Fox Mulder

It's gonna be sad.

The ps3 and 360 are gonna have huge games early in the year, and E3 will probably be all about their hardware successors.

Oh well, we all buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo exclusives right? I just think they'll have a hard time delivering quality games for the 3ds and a hd console.

QaaQer

As far as the systems success, we have to define what success is. Will it be number 1 console in LTD in 2017? highly unlikely.

Will it be successful enough to get all the important multi-plat games? Probably not.

Will it have a place in the market? Definitely. There are Nintendo die-hoards who will buy the system no matter what. There are mario/pikmin/monsterhunter/bayonetta fans who will buy the system once their particular fav game comes out.

But most importantly, there are the cost conscious parents who will be looking for the cheapest game system for their kid, with the cheapest software prices. Wii U is going to have a lot of cheap shovelware games, and once PS720 come out, it will be the cheapest new console on the market. There is a reason Nintendo went extreme cheap with the build on this system, pinching every penny.

The question is, will those sales be enough to sustain their fixed costs. They don't have a lot of employees, but they are in a very high cost of living country with a very high exchange rate.

Japanese companies have not been competitive during the last 10 years, Nintendo has been an exception to this rule. However, I don't know if what worked for the wii/ds will work for the 3ds/wiiu, and it looks like the wii/ds strategy is what Nintendo is using for the 3ds/wiiu.

zroid

Banned
I'm honestly a bit pessimistic about WiiU at the moment. I'm sure it'll be more than worth owning, but I can see it being one of Nintendo's worst selling systems. Of course it's way too early to tell right now. "Losing" systems that don't die usually get very unique and interesting libraries, so from a gamer point of view I'm really looking forward to it regardless of how successful it is.

That is, at the very least, the good thing about Nintendo. You can always count on them to support their hardware with high quality games, even if they're few and far between and third parties don't give a flying fuck.

I don't have such expectations with Sony and the Vita :\

And on the Wii U, not only are we getting high quality Nintendo games, but AT LEAST TWO Nintendo published P* games. That's pretty awesome.

IrishNinja

really surprised to see "gamecube level" posts as a serious thing. id expect the 3DS formula (pricecut + get big 1st party stuff out the gate by the holidays) would alleviate that.

never even seen that thing before

In terms of sales? Just above average...

In terms of good software? LOOOOOOL.

if it's not a 999 thread, you don't even really try, huh

It's a Tricky I Shadow post in a Nintendo thread.

yeah, kind've a pattern here

Put me in the crowd that thinks it will survive but not reach wii level success.

pretty much the default/safest bet all around, since long before it even launched

Nintendo should hopefully have some good stuff to announce at E3 for it to even hope to compete with new MS and Sony offerings and we should have some good holiday season first party games next year.

Anth0ny

Outlook not so good.

Virtually zero third party support, and while we'll see some awesome exclusives next year (Rayman, Pikmin, Wonderful 101, Bayo 2, 3D Mario? Retro?), I don't expect any of them to set the world on fire sales-wise.

WiiU line up for 2013 is nice but not comparable to what available for PS360. Not to mention a very likely huge momentum shift to MS and Sony camp after E3 when the next Xbox and/or PS are announced. It's going to be bloodbath.

Pineconn

What's fucking horseshit is that a portion of 3rd party response was along the lines of a wait and see approach. "Ah, we'll think about it later." But you better damn well know that they'll load up their arsenal of games on the PS720 at or near launch. It's all dogshit.

GlassBox

Banned
Is there any actual official release schedule for the Wii U available? I have no idea when games are coming out for it. At least, nothing outside of vague "early 2013" or something like that.

if it's not a 999 thread, you don't even really try, huh

yeah, kind've a pattern here

Oh please, I'm telling it like it is. At this point the Wii U's software line-up for 2013 is near nonexistent and just plain bad.

Heaven forbid me for not having much faith in them for E3 after the last few years.....things don’t look good, deal with it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
What's fucking horseshit is that a portion of 3rd party response was along the lines of a wait and see approach. "Ah, we'll think about it later." But you better damn well know that they'll load up their arsenal of games on the PS720 at or near launch. It's all dogshit.

It's because I don't buy their dogshit on a Nintendo console. If it's worthy of my time, I'll buy it on PC. I am a part of the 3rd party problem.

Reallink

My guess would be really rough. Interest doesn't seem to be there with the larger audience and obviously it's a total nonstarter with your CoD-tards, Xbots, and the SDF. Negative word of mouth is going to be the biggest obstacle what with frequent hard locks, embarassing load times, inferior multiplatform support/performance, and the second screen lacking wow-factor and as of yet failing to light game design on fire. The fact that the first new console in 6 years can launch on November 18th and (anecdotally) be sitting readily available on store shelves on fucking Black Friday is pretty telling. Something went really really wrong somewhere.

Soul_Pie

I think they'll be hoping Mario and NintendoLand carry it for the first half of the year then hopefully we'll get some big announcements about the second half. Stuff like Pikmin, Rayman, Wonderful 101 won't do anything in terms of sales. The one thing that might happen is that Wii Fit 2 takes off in the same way as the first game and some of the previous crowd start to get drawn over.

But third party stuff ain't looking too crash hot.

As for the second half of the year, well we'll just have to wait and see, but I'm sure they've got some big titles up their sleeve.

prwxv3

The shitty 3rd party support for next year is even worse then the Wii because all the great third party games coming out next year are all capable of running on WiiU without major changes at all.

rockx4

For me it's kind of worrying. Nintendo has been really frustrating with the Wii\3DS. I've been buying every console\handheld since DC\PS2, and I'm holding off on a Wii U. The lack of third party games on Nintendo sucks, but what sucks even more is that even Nintendo games aren't a sure thing to make it over. Waiting and hoping that Nintendo localizes their own games makes it hard for me to buy a Nintendo console, given that most of the games I want on them are Nintendo published.

speedline

Banned
Nintendo should hopefully have some good stuff to announce at E3 for it to even hope to compete with new MS and Sony offerings and we should have some good holiday season first party games next year.

They really should not wait for E3, they need to stir some excitement before then. Too many people are out there right now that are completely unaware of what Wii U even is, or that it's even out right now. Only the people who follow gaming on a regular basis even care about E3 and the industry goes way beyond us.

I've asked around at work and a large majority of people did not know anything about the Wii U while almost everyone was familiar with Wii. I know thats only circumstantial, but its apparent to me Nintendo doesn't have the right marketing approach right now.

Outlook not so good.

Virtually zero third party support, and while we'll see some awesome exclusives next year (Rayman, Pikmin, Wonderful 101, Bayo 2, 3D Mario? Retro?), I don't expect any of them to set the world on fire sales-wise.

Yes. If not, something has gone terribly wrong. I'm also assuming EAD Tokyo is making 3D Mario. If they arent, we won't get 3D Mario next year.

olimpia84

It will be just fine in 2013. The real question should be how it will fare in 2014 when the other two major consoles are out.

speedline

Banned
It's competition. Does it matter who comes first? We're talking about WiiU survival here.

Exactly, why would I buy a Wii U to play the same games I can get for the 360 or PS3 that I already own? I wouldn't. If Wii U can't compete with the current gen consoles then what makes anyone think it can hold its own against the next gen consoles?

Nintendo exclusives are one thing, but I would be pretty darn careful making games for Wii U if I were a developer.

Misterhbk

Well duh. 1st year vs 6th and 7th year.

Give me some good Nintendo games and 1 or 2 cool 3rd party exclusives along with Bayo 2 and I'm happy.

People buying the system aren't thinking about that and giving it a break. They look at the games and right now the Wii U has zero games that will do amazing as far as sales numbers go. Monster Hunter isn't big over here, and neither is Pikman. Gonna be a rough year unless they have something massive up their sleeve.

So basically, wait for E3.

I think the first party games will be bliss to play.
But it will never be the succes that the Wii was.
I don't really care about multiplats on WiiU but i'll keep an eye on them. In the first year. Will buy a multiplat that i'm interested in if it's the best version. Like Trine 2.

RM8

You know what would make me buy one instantly? A Smash Bros. trailer like the one we got for Brawl with the reveal of MK/Pit/Wario/ZSS/Snake.

Top Bottom