• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Thats not what I was saying. Sure I can't "know" (can be said about virtually EVERYTHING when discussing long term status...do we KNOW MJ will be remembered in 50 years? No...but its probably true)......but I believe it is a strong likelihood. Which is all anyone has.

But you don't believe the girl with 5 platinum albums by age 24 who has been DOMINATING radio Ceaselessly, helped usher in the digital age, and shows NO signs of slowing down is gonna be remembered?

Mau ®

%23Rihanna+Unveils+'Unapologetic'+Album+Cover.jpg

Rihanna delivers a mature 7th album to occasionally mixed results.

Much of the appeal and success that Rihanna has lies within her ability to cater to both pop and urban audiences without causing a divide with either one. A lot of artists have problems being able to successfully please both yet to Rihanna its not as problematic.

That being said, Rihanna is the reigning queen of TOP 40 as recently stated by Billboard themselves. In her 7 years out in the game she has scored more TOP 40 hits than artists thta have been out for double or triple of that timeframe. So it comes as a surprise that Rihanna has released an album so scarce on obvious TOP 40 hits.

At the same time though, its not as surprising. Unapologetic is not only a left-field release but its also a smart one. If the main #1 hits of 2012 (as well as burgeoning trends) are any indication of whats "in" and what's "next" then its clear Unapologetic was made to cater early to that.

For Unapologetic, Rihanna sheds most of her TOP 40 hitmaking for mostly R&B tracks, Adult Contemporary cuts and urban songs.

As a fan, I can safely say Rihanna has never known what a good album opener sounds like (excluding Rated R) and Unapologetic follows this tragic trend by opening with "Phresh Out The Runway", a tryhard "urban" track by David Guetta. Both artists here sound equally ridiculous.

The next track, and what would've been a more fitting opener, is her latest smash hit "Diamonds". The elegant track not only represents the album better as a whole but it also marks a swift change in tone sonically for Rihanna. While to many people "Diamonds" is just another Rihanna single that hits the top spot on the chart, for her and her team its reassurance that Rihanna can excel commercially in other types of songs beyond her usual type of releases. In my opinion, "Diamonds" and whatever singles follow from Unapologetic, will be career-defining for Rihanna in terms what she does next.

Whatever magic "Diamonds" is lost on "Numb". This track is the reunion of Eminem and Rihanna after their "Love The Way You Lie" releases. But this song is completely different from those songs and beyond a brief reference to to them, it shares nothing at all. The instrumental is hot but both Rih's and Em's delivery are not. In fact both to me sound grating, especially over this incredible instrumental otherwise.

After "Numb" the urban and R&B tracks continue to flow, this time thanksfully they're much better. "Pour It Up" is basically the female sequel to "Bandz a make her dance" (which also happens to be one of Rih's fave tracks this year) and "Loveeeee Song" is a crooning duet between newly reinvented artist Future and Rih. This song is actually Unapologetic's most successful album track on itunes and would do well on urban and r&b formats (both ac and hot versions).

Rihanna's TOP 40 side briefly shows up on "Jump" and "Right Now". Both featuring the fading trend of featuring dusbtep/D'n'B breakdowns as choruses. "Jump" interpolates a hilarious (yet effective) Ginuwine's "Pony" sample. As a personal note, its hard for me to pin-point a particular format for Jump. It has urban elements and pop elements and yet its not clear what it is. For this reason alone I dont see it getting plays anywhere but on Urban radio stations in the UK.

Finally we reach the good parts of Unapologetic. Its in the second half of Unapologetic that it forms a clear identity of what it wants to be. Gone are the shoddy urban tracks and mediocre TOP 40 offerings and instead focuses on Adult Contemporary cuts that have never been Rihanna's best strenghts...until now.

"What Now" is a beautifully delivered song thats both sad and conflicted. Rihanna delivers a strangely alluring vocal (especially in the second batch of verses). Im not exactly sure why they added a random 80's glam rock outro in the end on an otherwise well done midtempo though.

After "What Now" comes one of Unapologetic's shinning moments: "Stay". A simple haunting ballad that has one of Rih's best vocal deliveries. Stay is a song of longing that may seem like its for a lover but the more I listen to it the more Im convinced its about her departed grandmother Dolly, who I believe is the major influence in this album, despite the media's constant belief that Brown is the major inspiration on this record.

Speaking of Brown, who is featured on what's without a doubt THE jam of the album "Nobody's Bussiness". The track is a plain fun Michael Jackson inspired jam (it also samples MJ) thats sure to be a likely the feel-good song of the summer (if released in that timeframe). The one main detractor of this track is Bruises himself, whose presence makes an otherwise fun, cool track rather uncomfortable on the first few listens.

My personal favorite album track is actually "Love Without Tragedy/Mother Mary". I like how this song legitimately sounds like a track released in the 80's rock track by The Police, who strangely are not credited despite similarities to "Message in a bottle". Is a lawsuit underway? :conniving:

"Get it over with" is Unapologetic's most mellow track. The problem is that after "Mother Mary" you kinda want something more upbeat and GIOW even slows down things even more. Nevertheless its a very unique track in Rihanna's discography and I think if you get high to it it could potentially be amazing.

"No Love Allowed" plays into Rihanna's Bajan heritage and its always been her card of differentiation from other pop gurls. What's awesome about Rih is that she can work well in pop as well as this kind of sound without seeming forced or non-credible.

Closing the album is "Lost In Paradise" which ends up on the weak side after you've been exposed to Unapologetic's best offerings in the second half. I would've prefered she closed with "Half of it" which is a far more personal track that explains Rih's point of view of her life and how media plays into it. She's never done this type of tracks and I like how classy she did it. Its not a "oh poor me" kind of track, which is always welcomed from pop-stars.

Unapologetic has about as many wrongs as it has rights. The album is a crucial one in establishing Rihanna as a more "serious" artist to audiences and so far they have responded favorably to it. Im excited about this album's campaign to be honest.

botty

Banned
Songs with samples can't sound fresh? Someone should have told Kanye that, when he was making his debut album.

iUCBqAsYkTrCN.gif

You are missing the point I'm trying to make. 4's freshness and 'forward thinking'-ness comes from its diversity. Not every individual track is going to be the most innovative thing ever, but the album does many things and does them well.

I suppose your point applies to those who haven't heard the original songs. Aside from "I Miss U" I didn't find the album to be that impressive, innovative, or forward-thinking... especially in the sense that godels is trying to build it up to. But that is just my opinion.

Artemisia

Banned
I suppose your point applies to those who haven't heard the original songs. Aside from "I Miss U" I didn't find the album to be that impressive, innovative, or forward-thinking... especially in the sense that godels is trying to build it up to. But that is just my opinion.

What did Party sample btw? Countdown was the only song that used samples, IIRC.

But you don't believe the girl with 5 platinum albums by age 24 who has been DOMINATING radio Ceaselessly, helped usher in the digital age, and shows NO signs of slowing down is gonna be remembered?

As I implied. I don't think raw radio success and sales is that closely tied to legacy when it comes to music. (for example....as much as Gaga has had far less total success than Rihanna.....I don't think anyone would argue which would be remembered more if they both quit the game today)

I really don't think, that if Rih's career ended today, she would be considered a legend or icon. Though I also admit that it could change. Rihanna is still young and a LOT can happen. She needs a couple more iconic songs (only one right now is Umbrella) before her legacy is cemented.

Edit: Oops typed Diamonds instead of Umbrella.....

royalan

And funny that for all the praise Bey gets for her bravery releasing 4 she still sent out Run The World - one of the worst tracks she's ever recorded and not at all indicative of what she was doing with the rest of the album. And then followed it up with Irreplaceable Pt. 2.

Fresh my ass.

Majmun

Great review, ITZ.

I still think that Jump and Right Now would smash if it weren't for that awful dubstep.

But I'm glad she's going the classy route single wise. Stay is amazing. Loveee Song should be her next single imo. Followed by Nobodies Business..

I don't think there's anything "forward-thinking" about 4. I just think it's a fully realized album. Every song on that album sounds like it was written by the same person, with the same personality. Furthermore, every single song harkens back to a certain style that Beyonce found influence in (Love On Top bringing back the golden retro style of Donna Summer, End of Time channeling Michael Jackson circa Off The Wall). It's just a well-conceived album that's full of diversity, big moments, subtle moments, and they all make sure to keep Beyonce's amazing vocals in the spotlight. It might not be her most exciting or dynamic record, but it's her best. No gimmicks, no flash or pizzazz, just her voice and a beat.

royalan

Some integrity. Such conviction. Bad Bitches stand by their concepts.

When Christina put out a concept album, she released Ain't No Other Man as the lead single - a song that was the perfect introduction to everything she wanted to accomplish with the album.

She didn't attempt to blindside the masses with a stale, lazy and DIRECT rip of a song that had been (and still was) tearing up the dance clubs.

#Fraudulent

Mau ®

Great review, ITZ.

But I'm glad she's going the classy route single wise. Stay is amazing. Loveee Song should be her next single imo. Followed by Nobodies Business..

Thanks *.*

And yes I agree. Those would be single choices as well *.*

I'd release Loveeee Song during the Fall tho. I think it would be a nice urban jam during that time before she inevitably releases a new single/album. Im really excited what she does next after this album.

Majmun

Yes, stealing Amerie's sound, producers, and direction worked out very well for Beyeti. I liked 4. I even started singing "Tears rolling down My Face" a few times when I'd forget Her Buttery Complexion's lyrics.

Don't even get me STARTED on this. Befraudce stole Amerie's ENTIRE swag.

Amerie's debut remains more flawless and authentic than anything that camel host is capable of.

You two need to cool off.

Here

joJffwmc1feXw.png
joJffwmc1feXw.png

botty

Banned
Rolling out
White flag I surrender
Hear me now
Make it stop
We can do better
Pain and hurt
Living in fear
Wasted energy
In the end
What is it worth
What is our legacy

iiZhYPJQWMfau.gif

Didn't see this posted.

Jewel collaborating with Kelly on her greatest hits album.

Jewel 'Greatest Hits' Features Kelly Clarkson, Pistol Annies

The singer also invited both Kelly Clarkson and Pistol Annies to collaborate with her on the upcoming CD. "I just wanted to do some duets with some artists I really liked and some voices I like," she notes. "Kelly was amazing. She was a hoot to have in the studio. She had done 'Foolish Games' in several talent shows prior to 'American Idol,' so she really knew it. I'm such a fan of her voice and love what she added to the song. She was so effortless on it. It's neat to hear it in her new light.

Should be interesting.

looks like Kelly finally found someone that wants to collab with her

congrats
ixdtMI2bX12KZ.gif

kW3Jg.gif

Your ignorance is unsurprising considering how quickly you bailed on Ke$ha after is became apparent that her sales were flagging. Not here for basic fair weather stans shading Kellegend......

......Kelly has never had problems getting collab's....they have generally been with country artists though. (unsurprising since the lives in Nashville)

botty

Banned
kW3Jg.gif

Your ignorance is unsurprising considering how quickly you bailed on Ke$ha after is became apparent that her sales were flagging. Not here for basic fair weather stans shading Kellegend......

......Kelly has never had problems getting collab's....they have generally been with country artists though. (unsurprising since the lives in Nashville)

He's probably referring to this:

XDSBM.png

...and how she was ignored by all of them, I think.

Don't even get me STARTED on this. Befraudce stole Amerie's ENTIRE swag.

Amerie's debut remains more flawless and authentic than anything that camel host is capable of.

Amerie and Kelis were just too ahead of their time. All their concepts got stolen by The Creole Whose Skin Is The Same Tone As The Sun and Curried Goat, among others. It's kind of sad. Amerie and Kelis were bullied out of pop/urban too.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Not Taylor topping all the new releases and the charts again. Not 1D over 100k again. True slayage.

Glad Rih isn't freefalling tho. -18% this week, US LTD is 370k.

I don't even understand how you could hate Bey?

Is it just because Bey is basically everything Xtina wants to be, but better at it than Xtina is?

That must be grind. Like being a Madonna stan in a post-Gaga world.

Madonna is still slaying though. Gaga's brief, waning, success is but a blip in the radar. If she's reduced to giving away concert tickets now, 2.5 albums in, that doesn't speak well for her longevity.

Mau ®

Diamonds logs a 7th week at #1 in Germany.

84224043.gif

Apparently its the most played song ever in South Africa. That needs confirmation tho.

84224043.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Madonna is still slaying though. Gaga's brief, waning, success is but a blip in the radar. If she's reduced to giving away concert tickets now, 2.5 albums in, that doesn't speak well for her longevity.

That's fucking ridiculous.

What artist other than Madonna is seeing worldwide tour success like Gaga is? For how many artists is to south america and touring in stadiums there even an option?

Your concept of success is asinine. Not doing as well as madonna is not the same fading, flopping, etc. Madonna has been in the game since forever, she is expected to do well. But for Gaga to have comparable touring success only after 4 years in the business is incredible.

I'm not even a Rihanna Stan, but I think it's sad that if ANYONE else was dominating as consistently and long as Rihanna has they'd be considered the front-runner for Icon/Queen of Pop status. But with Rihanna there has to be a bunch if nebulous reasons why they feel she's not The One. But the receipts steadily saying otherwise.

I mean HEW ELSE in the game RIGHT NOW has Rihanna's record? Nobody.

The irony is that they're trying to pass off that tequila swilling pot head as The Queen, after 2.5 albums, and a punk ass meat dress. Eff that noise.

royalan

And when was the last time a Beyonce song not named Single Ladies slayed the WORLD like this. And yet Rihanna does it REGULARLY.

Ch...y'all gone give Rih her crown.

1+1 sounds like a Prince B-side, and if you aren't aware.. Prince has still been releasing albums full of B-sides.

Now bitch... While you're playing, Prince has released an album of actual B-sides, and it slays your faves album tracks. Prince, as of now, is releasing music he wrote 20 to 30 years ago, re-recorded of course, and it sucks. <---Keepin it real.

Mau ®

While first single Die Young climbs 10-7 (33,860 sales), Ke$ha's second album, Warrior, makes a soft landing at number 66 (5,525 sales). It is the follow-up to Animal, which debuted and peaked at number eight in February 2010, on first week sales of 18,723.

For reference....Bionic sold 5X that on first week.

okIAQ.gif
okIAQ.gif
okIAQ.gif
okIAQ.gif

botty

Banned
Now bitch... While you're playing, Prince has released an album of actual B-sides, and it slays your faves album tracks. Prince, as of now, is releasing music he wrote 20 to 30 years ago, re-recorded of course, and it sucks. <---Keepin it real.

Calm ya tits, rob<3

I wasn't even shading Prince. Just spilling the truth.
VjvlV.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom