• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog-gaf....(New dog owner)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adorable dog, not sure how you're even letting that cute thing out of your sight lol. I'd be playing with it all day indoors outdoors wherever.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
My kid sucks his thumb, the dog has dirty paws from walking outside and stepping on his own pee for example, seems like a simple connection to make.

Edit: I need ideas on how to make my older son(6 years) to lose his fear of dogs.

Just get rid of the dog. Give it to someone that will love him and not keep him as a novelty to be able to say "hey internet I got a dog!"

Xeke

Banned
My kid sucks his thumb, the dog has dirty paws from walking outside and stepping on his own pee for example, seems like a simple connection to make.

Edit: I need ideas on how to make my older son(6 years) to lose his fear of dogs.

Eh, if it's that big of a deal just wash off his feet after he comes back inside. But it still isn't much of an issue.

puppies-and-babies-picture-6.jpg

baby006.jpg

I really think you're overestimating some random disease coming from the dog.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Plus if all you do is have him in the backyard and not socialize him indoors, he is going to be a fucking hellion while walking as well, unless you only plan on letting him run around the backyard.

Kammie

Why is the walking part so important btw? So the baby can outrun the germs?
Oh my god, I can't stop laughing.

OP, the dog should be allowed in the house. Train him properly, it's always easier when they're young, especially for breaking bad habits. I also think you lucked out and got an intelligent breed, which should help tremendously.

If your wife is afraid for the baby, get a couple of those door blocker things while the baby is out and about, and place the dog beyond them. The dog will eventually work his way into your hearts anyway, and you'll get rid of those things.

Conor 419

Banned
You know how a growing puppy in a litter of dogs of exclusively the opposite sex, can grow up thinking it's also of that sex? Couldn't something similar potentially happen with the kid growing up around the dog and getting the wrong idea of its own place in human society?

My friend Jeggo said it happen to his cousin, also read something about it in Heat magazine a few weeks ago.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You know how a growing puppy in a litter of dogs of exclusively the opposite sex, can grow up thinking it's also of that sex? Couldn't something similar potentially happen with the kid growing up around the dog and getting the wrong idea of its own place in human society?

My friend Jeggo said it happen to his cousin, also read something about it in Heat magazine a few weeks ago.

You are trying too hard.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine

Your friend's cousin thought he was a dog?

Xeke

Banned
You know how a growing puppy in a litter of dogs of exclusively the opposite sex, can grow up thinking it's also of that sex? Couldn't that potentially happen with the kid growing up around the dog and getting the wrong idea of its own place in human society?

No. Not with a properly disciplined dog. My god, you're acting as if dogs haven't grown up around human kids for thousands of years and turned out just fine.

Unicorn

Oh great, The Jungle Book is corrupting minds again.

Not gonna lie, my son has carried things in his mouth. But he's also 21 months old.

alterno69

Banned
Lots of helpful tips, thanks.

Also, stop the hate lol, you have opened my eyes, and like i said i do want the dog inside the house, i just have to work with my wife on that.

I will let the dog inside starting tomorrow, how do i go about letting him know what is right and what is wrong?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dogs are outside animals. They're used to it.

Letting them inside is disgusting. Fur everywhere, they're not sanitary (obviously) and many many other reasons. It's just a bad habit.

That and, they're outside animals. They're meant to be guard dogs, you know, out side, guarding.
You sound like a sad and lonely person.

The puppy is beautiful OP, if you do keep it outside it should make training easier, otherwise you'll need lots of patience. Focus on positive reinforcement training and not negative reinforcement. There's a dog thread here on gaf as well with lots of tips.

My dog guards the house, from inside. Just chillin' on his couch, looking out the window. And he does a good job.
This made me lol. Dogs and dog people are the best.

Unicorn

Not gonna lie, my son has carried things in his mouth. But he's also 21 months old.

God forbid a child uses his imagination for play and entertainment.

Switch the dog for an iPad.

Also, stop the hate lol, you have opened my eyes, and like i said i do want the dog inside the house, i just have to work with my wife on that.

I will let the dog inside starting tomorrow, how do i go about letting him know what is right and what is wrong?

Quick discipline. As soon as he does something you don't approve of, set the boundary immediately. If he is chewing on something, give him a tap/smack on the snout with a Firm "No."

Same for potty training. Look for the signs he needs to go and stop him short. If you're too late, swat his side and take him outside along with stern scolding.

Um then they just kill their brother and start a world famous city.

Crate training

A crate will make your life a lot easier. Also gives the dog a nice, dark, safe place to go to if it's scared or wants to take a nap or something. Just don't put the dog in the crate as punishment. It has to be seen as a save haven from the rest of the world

Xeke

Banned

What do dogs or cats have to do with your baby’s risk of catching a cold? According to the latest research, they may help lower his or her risk of coughs and sniffles during the first year of life.

Reporting in the journal Pediatrics, researchers say that babies who grow up in homes with a pet — namely a dog or a cat — are less likely to get sick than children who live pet-free. The results bolster the notion that keeping infants’ environments overly sanitized isn’t good for their health. Previous research has linked the presence of pets with a lower risk of allergies among babies, while a recent study in mice found that exposure to household dust from homes with a dog prevented infection with a common respiratory virus that is thought to increase the risk of childhood asthma.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/07/09/study-why-dogs-and-cats-make-babies-healthier/#ixzz2GD3gGc6x

kirblar

Well, if his cousin's a chimp, sure.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think babies and puppies are the best combination. Both will grow together and know the limits of each other, so rough play won't be as much of an issue. Besides, the dog will form a tight bond early on and will make sure to keep the baby safe. Cattle dogs are amazing in this regard as they are known to herd little kids away from dangers such as fire and vehicles.

Mumei

To the OP:

1. Get this book.

119723.jpg

2. Don't listen to giri.

3. Dogs are social animals; the earlier you socialize your dog properly by having it spend time with people (especially children!) and other animals you might own or meet, the better behaved he will be as an adult. If you dodge socialization early on, you'll have a nightmare on your hands later.

Kammie

Technically speaking, your kid is filthier than the dog. The dog will lick his own genitals clean right away while your kid will mire in his own filth until you change his diapers. (You can make your wife buy this by showing her how lazy you are about the diaper-changing)

I think babies and puppies are the best combination. Both will grow together and know the limits of each other, so rough play won't be as much of an issue. Besides, the dog will form a tight bond early on and will make sure to keep the baby safe. Cattle dogs are amazing in this regard as they are known to herd little kids away from dangers such as fire and vehicles.
Yeah, my son and the puppy for a little rough on each other (mostly the dog nibbling too hard) from time to time, but that corrected itself pretty quickly. I have to pry them apart sometimes heh.

OP: Your six year old is very much old enough to start establishing dominance over a puppy. Remind him that he is in control. If the puppy jumps on him and it scares him, tell him to say NO in a firm voice. Running and screaming makes the puppy think its play time. Let the baby interact with the puppy but keep firm control of the puppy. If you aren't confident in just your voice, use a leash until you have full control. If you feel the puppy is too rough, correct it, either with a firm no or tugging on the leash and no. Play biting, just grab his snout if he gets to rough.

Puppy training is hard work and you have to be consistent and keep on top of it. Throwing the dog in the backyard isn't going to train it.

Spottty

Neo Member
My mom had one of these and it suited her really well, both very high energy. Just train your dog not to get up on furniture. Its pretty easy, those dogs are brilliant!

We had a dog growing up that would never step on carpet since he was trained that way. Dogs are great in the house, they just need to be trained for it.

yuna55

Maybe you should get rid of your wife. Or leave her outside. She has germs too.

Chances are if either (or both) of you work outside the home, you are way more likely to infect the baby with germs you've picked up.

Ultima_5

Thought this was going to be a cute thread. Instead it's just someone to irresponsible to do basic research on a pet before they get one and leaving it outside to annoy everyone else In the neighborhood. Good job op.

Also it's a blue heller so you're going to have to exercise the shit out of it. They're smart athletic dogs. Things just going to jump the fence if you leave it outside.

Edit, seems ops wants to bring the dog in now. Good job man.

Row

Banned
cute dog

I really wish I could have a dog, but so few apartments allow them and the odds me owning a home or really being settled anytime soon are small, which makes it impossible

alterno69

Banned
I'm getting a crate tomorrow and my wife is ok to give the dog a room in the laundry room by the kitchen starting tomorrow( the dude has lots of thicks cause he was in a ranch before we got him, i removed the bigger ones yesterday but i'm taking him to the vet tomorrow)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Thought this was going to be a cute thread. Instead it's just someone to irresponsible to do basic research on a pet before they get one and leaving it outside to annoy everyone else In the neighborhood. Good job op.

Also it's a blue heller so you're going to have to exercise the shit out of it. They're smart athletic dogs. Things just going to jump the fence if you leave it outside.

Edit, seems ops wants to bring the dog in now. Good job man.

I can't imagine what he'd do with a Border Collie. Those dogs are BA-NA-NAS.

I wouldnt let a dog in the house either. Well, a puppy I would, but when it's big enough, I'd keep it outside, occasionally letting it in. I'd have to have a pretty good backyard though, and I mean something like a shelter built for him. I haven't gotten a dog because I wouldn't know what to do in the winter.

You should probably allow him in until he's old enough, especially if someone is sneaking in your backyard.

Sorry, not into dogs curling up in my bed, hair all over the place, and having it lick my face.

I wouldnt let a dog in the house either. Well, a puppy I would, but when it's big enough, I'd keep it outside, occasionally letting it in. I'd have to have a pretty good backyard though, and I mean something like a shelter built for him. I haven't gotten a dog because I wouldn't know what to do in the winter.

You should probably allow him in until he's old enough, especially if someone is sneaking in your backyard.

Sorry, not into dogs curling up in my bed, hair all over the place, and having it lick my face.

Never get a dog.

australian shepherd

I haven't read the thread yet, but in regards to his breed, he isn't an aussie, though he probably has some mix of heeler or another sheepdog in him. Given that he looks like a high energy dog, I strongly recommend enrolling him in an obedience program. Don't leave him alone for long periods of time, socialize him with other dogs and people as often as possible, and exercise every day.

Aussies are extremely energetic and need to be given a job. They follow you around literally everywhere. Mine follows me to the bathroom door and sits outside until I get out, for example. Given that level of energy and loyalty, they make good watchdogs, but without proper training that instinct could cause them to bark at strangers, doorbells, etc.

These kinds of dogs will try your patience and test your intelligence and leadership skills. Everything they do that is destructive is a test of your pack leading skills. Deal with them fairly and they will listen to you. The opposite if you are lazy or respond poorly to that challenge.

Unicorn

You do realize the majority of dust is your own skin cells, right?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh god that's the cutest doggie ever!

Also lol - if you train your dog to be housebroken you can keep it inside.

Kreunt

Banned
they're cattle dogs, they love being outside.
not sure where this 'not a backyard dog' BS comes from.

as for training, like others have said, consistency is key.
reward him whenever he does something you tell him to, it doesnt need to be treats it can just be a nice pat or praise, they understand the tone of your voice pretty well.
classes are great.

JonnyBrad

Blimey judging by this thread I shouldn't even be alive with all the nasty evil diseases I would get by letting our springer spaniel sit on the couch. If you're not going to let a dog in the house don't get one IMO.

Ps our cat drops more fur than our dog and she's currently asleep on the bed with us. I'm surprised we're both not dead.

Sporran

Never do this.

It's disgusting.

But remember to treat your dog well. They are family, and they'll treat you as well as you treat them.

As I type this it's 4.12 in the uk, I'm in bed, wifey is sleeping and I have 36kgs of German Shepard lying on my feet.

A dog will never screw you over, it's pure unconditional love. And for that she is welcome to our bed. The bottom part though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom