• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf 2012 Backlog Blitz - Where we give the middle finger to Steam sales

The Steam sales didn't get me this time. Only because I physically had no money for anything other than food. It was either "Ooh, that's a really good deal on The Walking Dead" or, y'know, a meal.

Hopefully I'll get some time over the college Christmas break to chip away at my backlog. Particularly want to clear the Ambassador Titles on my 3DS. And all the Steam titles I bought in the Summer Sale that I haven't touched yet...

Here's my list;
3DS
Kingdom Hearts
Hana Samurai
Metroid I & II (Mainly for the GAF Plays thing)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong (VC)
Yoshi's Island (VC)

Steam
Bastion
Broken Sword 3
Cave Story+
Limbo (very near the end on this one)
Plants vs Zombies
Portal 2
Psychonauts

http://www.backloggery.com/fanbuoy

ghibli99

As we get started on the last month of 2012, I wanted to say thanks again for this thread. For the most part, it kept me honest and disciplined about tackling things I had sitting in my collection, although there were games throughout the year that I just had to have. All in all the cost of the games I finished was higher than what I spent, which is probably the first time that's happened since I started buying games myself in the first place (20+ years ago on the SNES). That's nothing short of a miracle. :)

December Update

Backloggery Link
  • Beaten: Getting to the end of the single player campaign/arcade mode/etc.
  • Completed: Beating every available mode/difficulty/collecting everything/etc.

Bought in 2012: 7
Beaten in 2012: 1
Current Score: -5

Beaten:
  • Assassin's Creed III
  • Forza Horizon

Bought:
  • Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (The Sly Collection)
  • Sly 2: Band of Thieves (The Sly Collection)
  • Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (The Sly Collection)
  • World of WarCraft: Mists of Pandaria
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted
  • Assassin's Creed III
  • Forza Horizon

Cleaned up the list a bit, forgot to add Forza Horizon which I now have, and finished AC III today. 85% Sync, so I plan to clean it up to a full 100% this week and move on to one of the racing games probably.

Update #1: Assassin's Creed III is 100% done except for the MP achievements. I'm taking a break from it to play Forza Horizon which I'm thoroughly enjoying currently.

Update #2: Forza Horizon SP content is 100% done. I don't have Xbox Live which means that game is complete. I'm cleaning up the AC III MP achievements now, and I don't think that should take too long. Then it's on to Sly Cooper I think.

As we get started on the last month of 2012, I wanted to say thanks again for this thread. For the most part, it kept me honest and disciplined about tackling things I had sitting in my collection, although there were games throughout the year that I just had to have. All in all the cost of the games I finished was higher than what I spent, which is probably the first time that's happened since I started buying games myself in the first place (20+ years ago on the SNES). That's nothing short of a miracle. :)

this thread really helped me focus my efforts as well. At this rate... I think I can be at zero backlogged games this time next year.

Is someone going to make a new thread for 2013? I don't think the OP for this one posts in this thread anymore.

guest1321

this thread really helped me focus my efforts as well. At this rate... I think I can be at zero backlogged games this time next year.

Is someone going to make a new thread for 2013? I don't think the OP for this one posts in this thread anymore.

I've been talking with him about it and we are discussing plans for 2013. But there definitely will be a new thread for 2013

Arukado

- 12/26/12: Tokyo Jungle beaten, probably the last game i finish this year. The game has some cool things but sometimes it's a kick in the balls (especially with S rank missions that involve running to the other side of the map through bazillions of
dinosaurs
).

- 12/23/12: I'm playing Velocity, thanks to the fb sony offer. Everybody's Golf crowns are a pain in the ass, so back to the "on hold" list.

- 12/22/12: Journey beaten. WOW, just wow. Fantastic and beautiful game.

- 12/21/12: Unfinished Swan... finished. I liked it, especially the music. Now is the time for Journey, there i go.

- 12/19/12: 2 new games bought (last purchase of the year i think): Journey and Unfinished Swan, thanks to the EU psn offer.

- 12/16/12: Vanquish already beaten lol (the game has some nice ideas, but other than that, is pretty modest). Now i'm gonna stop playing everybody's golf for a while and keep playing Monhun on vita / Dead Island coop with my brother.

- 12/15/12: Exams completed, so i already started 2 new games on ps3: Tokyo Jungle & Vanquish.

- Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (awesome little game, very funny and entertaining) and Chronovolt (the concept is neat but it looks and plays kind of bad) beaten. Also, Tokyo Jungle bought. I don't think i'm gonna start anything new until next week (busy with some university exams).

Purchased in 2012: -31
  • {DD} Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
  • Ace Combat Joint Assault
  • Infamous Festival Of Blood
  • Wipeout 2048
  • Motorstorm RC
  • Uncharted Golden Abyss
  • Deus Ex Human Revolution
  • Sonic Generations
  • {DD} Front Mission 3
  • Legend Of Grimrock
  • Little Big Planet 2 (+)
  • Gravity Rush
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Deus Ex HR ~ Missing Link
  • Jewel Keepers Easter Island (F)
  • Wipeout 2048 ~ HD DLC (F)
  • Wipeout 2048 ~ Fury DLC (F)
  • {AP} Alan Wake
  • Alan Wake's American Nightmare
  • {DD} Dawn of War Platinum Edition
  • Sound Shapes
  • House of The Dead Overkill Extended Cut (G)
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  • Dead Or Alive 5
  • Super Stardust Portable (+)
  • Assassin's Creed III Liberation
  • Dead Island GOTY Edition
  • Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (+)
  • Chronovolt (+)
  • Tokyo Jungle
  • Vanquish (+)
  • Journey
  • Unfinished Swan
  • Velocity (F)
Beaten in 2012: +34
  • Infamous Festival Of Blood
  • Sonic 4 Episode I
  • Wipeout Pulse + DLC
  • {2} Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Ace Combat Joint Assault
  • Wipeout 2048 [Platinum]
  • Motorstorm RC [Platinum]
  • Mass Effect 2
  • {2} Sonic 4 Episode I
  • Silent Hill Homecoming
  • Sonic Generations [Platinum]
  • Uncharted Golden Abyss
  • Deus Ex Human Revolution
  • Little Big Planet 2
  • Child Of Eden
  • Gravity Rush [Platinum]
  • Portal 2
  • Resonance Of Fate
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Deus Ex HR ~ Missing Link
  • Limbo
  • Wipeout 2048 ~ HD DLC
  • Jewel Keepers Easter Island
  • {2} Uncharted Golden Abyss [Platinum]
  • Sound Shapes [Platinum]
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2 [Platinum]
  • {2} Vagrant Story
  • Super Stardust Portable
  • Bioshock 2
  • Assassin's Creed III Liberation [Platinum]
  • Wipeout 2048 ~ Fury DLC
  • Dead Or Alive 5
  • Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
  • Chronovolt
  • Vanquish
  • Unfinished Swan
  • Journey
  • Tokyo Jungle
Total: +3

Currently Playing:
  • Velocity
  • Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
  • Dead Island GOTY Edition
On Hold: (I'll keep playing them when the time comes)
  • Oblivion GOTY

vall03

Totally forgot about the backlog blitz thread, can we somehow integrate this with the other challenge thread of buying no games for a year? I also agree with this helping form habits. What I learned doing this the whole year is that Im easily tempted for impulse purchases. Not only that, I realized that several games on my backlog are either not really that good, or games that just aren't my type. My target for next year is to buy as few games as possible. Hopefully also, I have a job by next year :p

Anyway, Ive bought and played a lot last month. Good thing though is that I played all of the games that I bought right away and finished most of them. Got Sine Mora from GMG and I just couldn't resist it at that price. I only got into shmups this year so I have no idea how to compare it to most games in the genre but I liked it and didn't like it at the same time. I dont why but it felt like its good but suddenly get disappointed at some parts. Its kinda unique though. Cherry Tree High Comedy Club was one of the games I really liked. Guess its because its Persona 3/4 without the rpg battles. Fun and humorous dialogue too. Jet Set Radio is another impulse purchase from GMG, I was kinda disappointed in the game actually, I thought I will like it but ended up stopping. I can understand why people like it, it feels like mash up of Crazy Taxi and Sonic wherein you're playing the game several times and getting better at finding the best path in each stage and executing those tricks, I can't get into it though. Liberation Maiden was bought after trying out the Canada trick for international CCs on 3DS. I quite good but find $8 for it too steep and its very short. Theres replay value but it wont last that long either. I also bought a Vita in anticipation for P4G and got Virtues Last Reward with it. Overall a very great experience and can't wait for the sequel, but I still find 999 to be better. For the Steam sale, I mainly bought most Nyu Media games. eXceed Collection was great and my favorite would be eXceed 3rd since out of the three games, its the most polished and had the modern doujin feel to it, then followed by eXceed 2nd. Not really a fan of polarity but its actually my first taste of it since I only played the demo of Ikaruga on 360 and I must say my brain is having trouble keeping up with the two colors. Didn't find eXceed 1st to be good and find it clunky. Ether Vapor Remaster on the other hand felt like Radiant Silvergun, also like how it changes perspectives for different stages, overall my favorite shmup in the bunch. And finally Fairy Bloom Freesia, the button-mashing 2d sidescrolling beat-em-up I really adored. I had no idea what to expect and I just kept on playing the game and I really love it.

For my finished games, I actually didn't finish Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines and Witcher 1. I played them because of Halloween but they dragged for a while and I didn't like either of them. Played Sanctum on the other hand since I just finished Orcs Must Die and I wanted some more Tower Defense games, same with Revenge of the Titans which is very frustrating. I have no idea what happened but I just clicked install on Steam and then finished the three Half-Life games. Definitely a refreshing fps after playing CoD and Battlefield with my friends. I find the first Half-Life to be better though.

Currently spending a lot of time on Persona 4 Golden and Im loving all the new features and the little changes from the original game. This will tide me over until next year and hopefully I buy next to no games this month.

http://www.backloggery.com/vall03

November: -11
Sine Mora
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
Jet Set Radio
Liberation Maiden
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
eXceed - Gun Bullet Children
eXceed 2nd - Vampire REX
eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate Black Package
Ether Vapor Remaster
Fairy Bloom Freesia
Persona 4: Golden

November: +16
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines
The Witcher
Sanctum
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Sine Mora
Liberation Maiden
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Revenge of the Titans
Jet Set Radio
eXceed - Gun Bullet Children
eXceed 2nd - Vampire REX
eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate Black Package
Ether Vapor Remaster
Fairy Bloom Freesia

Purchased: -62
Finished: +100

Jan: +6
Feb: +6
Mar: -1
Apr: +1
May: +5
Jun: +7
Jul: -1
Aug: +2
Sep: +6
Oct: +2
Nov: +5

Total Points: +38

IrishNinja

jesus christ i have to stop buying games

okay so im gonna go buy adventure time LE in a bit but after that i have to stop buying games. cant recall a time my backlog was this bad, i only beat about that many games this year and god knows there's at least 10 titles i have in mind for the next. most of those aren't really bad but the bigger WRPGs ive put off are gonna bite me in the ass when time sinks like animal crossing, PSO 2, monster hunter etc come out.

ps 2012:

completed - 27
new - 43

= -19 for the year, fuck

ghibli99

Picked up both the new Indie Royale Winter Bundle and Bundle-in-a-Box: Eclectic Delights today. I keep slipping. LOL

-6 with less than four weeks left! C'moooon break even! :D

Carlisle

I'm going to start this Jan 1 and really keep track. Not sure if I'll go so far as to not buy a single video game, but that's a secondary goal. Would be cool and I'd save a small fortune getting everything I missed in 2014--not just from price reductions, but mostly from getting past the hype of some games and realizing that I can in fact live without them. Dunno if I'm strong enough for all that though :/

guest1321

Nice! I love threads like this.

Me too! I think christmas is going to screw over my progress but looking back on what I played this year is incredible. I've definitely completed far more games than I have in the past.

I'm going to start this Jan 1 and really keep track. Not sure if I'll go so far as to not buy a single video game, but that's a secondary goal. Would be cool and I'd save a small fortune getting everything I missed in 2014--not just from price reductions, but mostly from getting past the hype of some games and realizing that I can in fact live without them. Dunno if I'm strong enough for all that though :/

I didn't really go into this with the intention of not buying a single game, but more to keep track of how worthwhile new purchases were. There were more than a few occasions were I thought to myself "$60 and another -1?" and decided to hold off. In some cases I picked it up later in the year for a lot cheaper and in others I decided I really wasn't interested and would rather spend money on newer games that I actually cared about.

So if you're going into this with the secondary goal of not buying any new games, then I imagine that that drive combined with the side effects of this thread will keep those -1's pretty low. Good luck!

ghibli99

I didn't really go into this with the intention of not buying a single game, but more to keep track of how worthwhile new purchases were. There were more than a few occasions were I thought to myself "$60 and another -1?" and decided to hold off. In some cases I picked it up later in the year for a lot cheaper and in others I decided I really wasn't interested and would rather spend money on newer games that I actually cared about.

So if you're going into this with the secondary goal of not buying any new games, then I imagine that that drive combined with the side effects of this thread will keep those -1's pretty low. Good luck!
Definitely my mentality too. Lots of deals over the past month were just too good to pass up, but most of my purchases this year came with the mental caveat that I was in for a -1. On the flip-side, there were games that came out this year that I just *had* to play. In those cases I was fine with it, because I viewed denying myself as adding undue stress and sadness to my gaming... and really, we shouldn't be feeling those things. :) If you have the means and really want to enjoy those things at that moment, go for it!

guest1321

Definitely my mentality too. Lots of deals over the past month were just too good to pass up, but most of my purchases this year came with the mental caveat that I was in for a -1. On the flip-side, there were games that came out this year that I just *had* to play. In those cases I was fine with it, because I viewed denying myself as adding undue stress and sadness to my gaming... and really, we shouldn't be feeling those things. :) If you have the means and really want to enjoy those things at that moment, go for it!
Words to live by!

Yeah this thread resulted in a lot of post-poned purchases and in a lot of cases denying myself purchasing other games. Looking back on what I played I really forced myself to choose a couple that I liked rather than that just blowing through a bunch and not allowing myself to indulge in the ones I really like.

So with only a couple weeks left in the year I think we should have a final submission for scores and maybe a leaderboard-esque for the OP next year to acknowledge those that stuck with it, or didn't lol. Any thoughts on that? Or other ideas for the 2013 thread? Name?

Valkyria Chronicles II is beat. I enjoyed it, there were a few small things I didn't like, but overall it was really good and fun. Makes me sad that NA will never see the 3rd one

I downloaded Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden. It's free, but I downloaded it with every intention of finishing it, so might as well count as a purchased and beaten game once it is.

Puts me at +15, for now

Beat: (+31)
1. LA Noire: Complete Edition
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
5. No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise
6. Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
7. Duke Nukem Forever
8. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
9. Outland
10. Mass Effect 3
11. God of War: Origins Collection: Chains of Olympus
12. Ms. 'Splosion Man
13. God of War: Origins Collection: Ghost of Sparta
14. Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Wii version)
15. Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP (iOS)
16. The Gunstringer
17. Lollipop Chainsaw
18. Dead Space (iOS)
19. Resident Evil 5: Gold (plus sp DLC)
20. Mass Effect: Infiltrator (iOS)
21. Batman: Arkham City (plus sp DLC)
22. Persona 3 Portable
23. Child of Eden
24. Ys Seven
25. Breath of Death VII
26. Rayman Origins
27. Deadly Premonition
28. inFAMOUS 2 (plus Festival of Blood DLC)
29. Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7
30. Fable 1 + The Lost Chapters
31. Valkyria Chronicles II

Bought: (-16)
1. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
2. Mass Effect 3
3. Lollipop Chainsaw
4. Mass Effect: Infiltrator (iOS)
5: Persona 3 Portable
6. Gungnir
7: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
8. Child of Eden (360)
9. Rayman: Origins
10. Prince of Persia Trilogy HD
11. Persona 4
12. Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams (original Xbox)
13. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
14. Saints Row the Third: Full Package
15. Lego Lord of the Rings
16. Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden

Removed from backlog without beating due to not liking (does not count as +1 beaten but does count as -1 on backlog)
1. KOTOR 1
2. KOTOR 2
3. Gungnir

Backlog now at: 21
http://backloggery.com/gryphter

Friday I'm starting a lazy weekend in celebration of my bday, which is actually the 18th. I'm seeing The Hobbit on Sat but other than that, it's going to be Saints Row the Third the whole damn weekend. This is good because I'll be able to play it uninterrupted, but I mostly asked for video games so my minus section might get some additions.

Until then, I am going to idle a bit and play some DLC I downloaded, which I never count as backloggable. Left 4 Dead 2: The Sacrifice and Cold Stream DLC (which were on sale Black Friday weekend), ME3: Omega, and Ni No Kuni's PSN demo will keep me busy until Saints Row.

ghibli99

Words to live by!

Yeah this thread resulted in a lot of post-poned purchases and in a lot of cases denying myself purchasing other games. Looking back on what I played I really forced myself to choose a couple that I liked rather than that just blowing through a bunch and not allowing myself to indulge in the ones I really like.

So with only a couple weeks left in the year I think we should have a final submission for scores and maybe a leaderboard-esque for the OP next year to acknowledge those that stuck with it, or didn't lol. Any thoughts on that? Or other ideas for the 2013 thread? Name?
I'll have my final tally (and some stats) in early Jan. I'll be traveling when 2013 rings in, so I might be a little late, but I'll be there.

I like the "Backlog Blitz" title... even on FB, my friends and I call it that. A Google doc that we can all freely update with basic numbers (bought, finished, totals, etc.) and an accompanying graph that shows everyone's month-to-month progress would be cool.

guest1321

Have you guys seen the "Stop buying games" challenge thread? A lot of people are using it the same way we use this one. Might want to join forces with them?

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=499275

I remember seeing that a while back and I thought I left a message in that one (or maybe it was another) telling about the backlog blitz. It seems like they are going for a who is willing to try not to buy games while we are aiming at a high score. I think we could call attention to this thread to get some more traction if those partaking in the other are interested and vis versa, but I don't know if merging them would make sense.

Ours looks prettier too

I remember seeing that a while back and I thought I left a message in that one (or maybe it was another) telling about the backlog blitz. It seems like they are going for a who is willing to try not to buy games while we are aiming at a high score. I think we could call attention to this thread to get some more traction if those partaking in the other are interested and vis versa, but I don't know if merging them would make sense.

Ours looks prettier too
Maybe bring it up again when the 2013 thread goes up? I actually made a no new games vow before that thread was made. I mentioned it there and am inadvertantly participating in that thread now, ha.

ghibli99

I keep riding that failboat... bought more since GOG had that 75% off Bullfrog games sale. Could get ugly if the deals stay this good through early January. :p

12/14 Update
Backloggery

So the onslaught of games has calmed down, and I only fell prey to the Far Cry 3 hype. Ehh, also gave into Sonic & All-Stars racing, so bought 2, beat 4 since my last update which isn't too bad. Of course, they were the shorter games, so I still have a long way to go.

Bought in 2012: -68
Beat in 2012: 52
Current Score: -16

Bought
  • Super Stardust Delta
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Rayman: Origins
  • Resident Evil: Revelaitons
  • Mutant Mudds
  • Metal Torrent
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • Kid Icarus: 3D Classics
  • Mario's Picross
  • The 3rd Birthday
  • Patapon 2
  • Motorstorm RC
  • WipEout 2048
  • Unit 13
  • Dissidia duodecim Final Fantasy
  • Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
  • Trials Evolution
  • Fez
  • The World Ends With You
  • Monster Tale
  • Mortal Kombat
  • ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead
  • Diablo III
  • Kirby's Block Ball
  • Gravity Rush
  • Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • Syndicate
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
  • Spelunky
  • Resistance: Burning Skies
  • Alice: Madness Returns
  • Alan Wake: American Nightmare
  • Alan Wake
  • Binary Domain
  • Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
  • Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dread Drop Distance
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Tomba!
  • Guild Wars 2
  • Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
  • Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
  • Torchlight II
  • Borderlands 2
  • LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
  • Fractured Soul
  • Dead or Alive: Dimensions
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  • A New Little King's Story
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
  • Persona 3 Portable
  • Assassin's Creed III Liberation
  • Need for Speed Most Wanted
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star
  • Zombi U
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Persona 4 Golden
  • Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified
  • Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion
  • The Walking Dead
  • Call of Duty Black Ops II
  • Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage
  • Trine 2
  • Nano Assault Neo
  • Sine Mora
  • Mark of the Ninja
  • Far Cry 3
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Completed
  • Super Stardust Delta
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Portal 2
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Rayman: Origins
  • Child of Eden
  • Shinobi
  • Nano Assault
  • Resident Evil: Revelations
  • Vanquish
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Mutant Mudds
  • Metal Torrent
  • L.A. Noire
  • Xevious 3D Classics
  • Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition
  • Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
  • Metal Torrent
  • Kid Icarus Uprising
  • Monster Tale
  • Mario's Picross
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Darksiders
  • Kirby's Block Ball
  • The 3rd Birthday
  • Duke Nukem Forever
  • Resistance: Burning Skies
  • Unit 13
  • Gravity Rush
  • Dawn of War II: Retribution
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • Diablo III
  • Serious Sam 3: BFE
  • Trials Evolution
  • Fez
  • Motorstorm RC
  • Spelunky
  • Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
  • Mortal Kombat
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Syndicate
  • Alan Wake
  • PushMo
  • Dead or Alive: Dimensions
  • Little Big Planet
  • Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
  • Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal our Garbage?
  • Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion
  • Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
  • Nano Assault Neo
  • Sine Mora

Currently Playing
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
  • Trine 2
  • Paper Mario: Sticker Star
  • Binary Domain

guest1321

So, I have yet to beat a single game this month which is a little depressing. With finals going on right now I might be lucky if I can squeeze in PSABR before the New Year. I was really hoping to have a strong end to 2012 but it looks like more games will be available for 2013.

Sora_N

I am not officially starting my list yet but I killed 2 games within the past few days, finished NSMB2 and Kid Icarus. :)

Working on Code of Princess soon!

guest1321

Backloggery

Bought in 2012: -34
Beat in 2012: +41
Current Score: 7

Beaten:

Currently Playing:
  • Halo 4 $
  • Portal 2

Backlog Priorities:
  • Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time $
  • BIT.TRIP RUNNER
  • Metal Gear $
  • Metal Gear 2 $
  • Metal Gear Solid $
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater $
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Sly 3: Honor Amont Thieves +

Impressions:
Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale (4/5) - I remember playing super smash for hours on end when I was younger, and I was expecting a similar experience but with characters that I had attachment to in the playstation universe that I spent a lot more time on. Unfortunately i didn't click quite as well as I hoped but what I did play I really enjoyed. I completed over half the campaigns but I find this game to be more of a local multiplayer rather than a play through all the campaigns by myself. The concept of using Supers to get kills was concerning when it was first announced but after playing the beta I wasn't so bothered by it and now having played the actual game I've gotta say, I really like it. I'm not very familiar with how fighting games tend to en structured but I found it frustrating that some characters first supers were super easy to get and really effective, white other took forever to build up a sup that turned out to be fairly crappy. Maybe playing with more characters and understanding their techniques would overcome that issue but I don't foresee myself playing with characters I'm not interested in. I thought the levels were good but didn't really feel myself taking advantage of them and rather just adapting to those that were dynamic throughout the match. Visually I thought it looked great and even on the vita I was impressed. Online is a lot of fun too, and being able to play with a friend is great. It's unfortunate that people didn't get into it all that much, it definitely deserves a fan base. I'd say that if you have a ps3 and are into fighting games it is definitely worth it, especially if it's on sale.

$ - indicates game was purchased in 2012
+ - inidicated game was a PS+ freebie or was free in some other form, no points are awarded to these titles for completion or ownership.

Notes:

Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package is beat. I loved it! Had a handful of frustrating glitch moments, though. I really want to go back and play SR2, but I must remember buy less games, play more.

Last week I finished L4D2 The Sacrifice and Cold Stream, ME3: Omega (was ok), and Ni No Kuni Demo.

I also downloaded Street Fighter x Mega Man. It's free, but I plan on beating it, so I'm counting it as backloggable and beatable; same as Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden. I plan on playing it next so my next update should be real soon.

Puts me at +15, for now

Beat: (+32)
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
7. Duke Nukem Forever
9. Outland
10. Mass Effect 3
12. Ms. 'Splosion Man
16. The Gunstringer
17. Lollipop Chainsaw
18. Dead Space (iOS)
22. Persona 3 Portable
23. Child of Eden
24. Ys Seven
25. Breath of Death VII
26. Rayman Origins
27. Deadly Premonition
32. Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package

Bought: (-17)
2. Mass Effect 3
3. Lollipop Chainsaw
6. Gungnir
8. Child of Eden (360)
11. Persona 4
17. Street Fighter x Mega Man

Removed from backlog without beating due to not liking (does not count as +1 beaten but does count as -1 on backlog)
1. KOTOR 1
2. KOTOR 2
3. Gungnir

Backlog now at: 21

ghibli99

xmXVW.jpg

Their winter sale started today. :(

Since my backlog's obliterated for 2012, I'm just stockpiling for next year. :p In 2013, I think I'll just cut myself off from internet access in Nov and Dec.

Street Fighter x Mega Man is beat. Good grief, before playing this I just wouldn't believe some of the criticisms this game is getting, but now I know. Level design is very much an afterthought, but they're VERY short so that's a plus. The bosses were fun but I was able to figure out most of the boss order on my first shot, so I didn't even really get actually fight them until the inevitable final stage where you face them all again. There were some moments where things weren't very clear in the stages which led to frustration. Definitely glad this one was free and that it's behind me.

Puts me at +16, for now

Beat: (+33)
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
7. Duke Nukem Forever
9. Outland
10. Mass Effect 3
12. Ms. 'Splosion Man
16. The Gunstringer
17. Lollipop Chainsaw
18. Dead Space (iOS)
22. Persona 3 Portable
23. Child of Eden
24. Ys Seven
25. Breath of Death VII
26. Rayman Origins
27. Deadly Premonition
33. Street Fighter x Mega Man

Bought: (-17)
2. Mass Effect 3
3. Lollipop Chainsaw
6. Gungnir
8. Child of Eden (360)
11. Persona 4

1. KOTOR 1
2. KOTOR 2
3. Gungnir

Backlog now at: 20

I don't know what's next. It was initially going to be Barkley: Gaiden but I might want something more professional after SF x MM.

ghibli99

Nov/Dec was brutal... and I don't really expect to finish much else this year except for maybe my Sonic playthrough of Sonic & Knuckles and Virtue's Last Reward.

Just for PC digital, this is my damage so far (Steam, GOG, HIB, etc.). Total cost was less than 4 $60 games at retail, so considering the sheer number of individual games, I did pretty well. Now to find the time to play some of these in 2013. :)

I'll post up my final details after Christmas sometime.

Humble Bundle for Android 4
Sonic Generations
Botanicula
Trine
The Blackwell Bundle
Mutant Mudds
Gemini Rue
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Quantum Conundrum
Orcs Must Die 2
Batman: Arkham City GOTY
The Basement Collection
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition
Legend of Grimrock
Castle Crashers
Super Hexagon
Alan Wake
Wizorb
Sine Mora
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
Bundle in a Box: Eclectic Delights
Indie Royale: The Winter Bundle
The Walking Dead
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Bullfrog Favorites
Quest for Sierra Bundle
Pick & Mix: Telltale Adventures
Jumpin' Indie Action Bundle
The Humble Indie Bundle 7
Prince of Persia Complete Pack
Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition
F.E.A.R.

Jadedx

Banned
I have some games in my backlog that I want to finish.

FF 13
MGS HD
DeathSpank TOV
DeathSpank Baconing
Stacking
Mass Effect 3
LA Noire

I really want to finish those before I buy any new games.

Need to update after opening Xmas gifts; if I don't do it now, it'll keep me up at night. Game-wise, I received:
Prototype 2
The Last Story
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Catherine
The Walking Dead
I also received a $50 gamestop gift card, meant for Xenoblade Chronicles. I will include that now since I plan on going to get it asap.

Puts me at +10, for now. Not as bad as it could have been

Beat: (+33)
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
7. Duke Nukem Forever
9. Outland
10. Mass Effect 3
12. Ms. 'Splosion Man
16. The Gunstringer
17. Lollipop Chainsaw
18. Dead Space (iOS)
22. Persona 3 Portable
23. Child of Eden
24. Ys Seven
25. Breath of Death VII
26. Rayman Origins
27. Deadly Premonition

Bought: (-23)
2. Mass Effect 3
3. Lollipop Chainsaw
6. Gungnir
8. Child of Eden (360)
11. Persona 4
18. Prototype 2
19. The Last Story
20. Ys: The Oath in Felghana
21. Catherine
22. The Walking Dead
23. Xenoblade Chronicles

1. KOTOR 1
2. KOTOR 2
3. Gungnir
4. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time HD
5. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within HD
6. Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones HD

Backlog now at: 23

In the middle of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time HD. I'm also addicted to Life is Magic (iOS) which is not backloggable, but damn that game has me hooked and is sucking my attention! Imma play right now!

edit: So after probably 90 min of frustrating fights including 2 friendly fire induced deaths, the game froze on me. I read the PoP HD trilogy was buggy but that Sands of Time performed the best, so if this one is going to freeze on me, I don't want to imagine the next 2. I don't have time to put up with this, the 3 of these (aka 1 HD trilogy) are getting cut out from the bottom. I am going to edit the above info so that I don't have to double post.

ghibli99

Gonna be busy until the end of the year, so I'm just going to post my stats now. Got destroyed in Nov/Dec due to all the sales, but oh well. Hopefully that makes 2013 a smoother ride.

Here we go (all numbers rounded):

Total purchases: 79
Total cost: $965
Average purchases per month: 7
Average spend per month: $80

Total games finished: 51
Total cost of games finished: $805
Total hours spent gaming: 663
Average rating: 8.9 (B+)

Highest rated games:
Mother 3 (GBA)
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS)
Journey (PS3)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakai! Ouendan 2 (DS)
Super Hexagon (iOS)
Portal 2 (PC)

Lowest rated games:
Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)
Mega Man VI (NES)
The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES)
Otomedius Excellent (360)
Don't Look Back (Android)
Borderlands (PC)

Final tally:
2012 Backlog Blitz score: -28
Spent $161 more than the value of what I finished

The Backlog Cliff...

A weak finish for what was a pretty productive year before November. Oh well! Thanks again for this thread, and looking forward to doing better next year. ;)

Brashnir

I've been largely absent from this thread since the early Summer due to a lot of factors. I have been keeping up and reading others' progress, but haven't been making any progress toward my own backlog. I did end up acquiring (and not finishing) quite a few games over the second half of the year, and might pick up a few more before the year ends, but here's my "year end" list as I see it now. The only game I did finish was The Walking Dead.

I have a couple games I'm on the verge of finishing, but probably won't make it until the new year. Hoping to have a little more time for gaming coming up and to be able to make a dent next year.

Bought in 2012 - 27
Rayman:Origins
Gears of War 3
Batman: Arkham City
Zen Pinball 3D
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
De Blob 2
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
Adventures of Tintin
Pinball Arcade
Hack Slash Loot
Trials Evolution
Legend of Grimrock
Diablo 3
New Super Mario Bros. 2
XCOM:Enemy Unknown
Halo 4
Binary Domain
Dark Souls
Hotline Miami
The Walking Dead
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Darksiders 2
Q.U.B.E.
Krater
Quantum Conundrum
FTL

Finished in 2012 - 28
Batman:Arkham City
Batman:Arkham Asylum
Gears of War 3
Rayman:Origins
Prince of Persia:The Forgotten Sands
Alan Wake
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon
Fable 2
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Meat Boy
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Mech Commander 2
Zen Pinball 3D
Chrono Trigger
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Elefunk
Back to the Future: Episode 3: Citizen Brown
Back to the Future: Episode 4: Double Visions
Back to the Future: Episode 5: Outatime
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Adventures of Tintin
Hack Slash Loot
Trials Evolution
Puzzle Quest : Challenge of the Warlords
Puzzle Quest : Challenge of the Warlords - Revenge of the Plague Lord.
Diablo 3
The Walking Dead

Overall Score: +1

Update for December:

After a big negative number for 2011 (-31 to be exact), 2012 ended up mostly as a "break-even" year. I see myself mostly sticking to 2012 and 2013 games as far as what I plan on buying next year, so hopefully I can put up a big, positive number.

January-November (-1):

Bought (-45)
Finished (+44)

December (0):

Bought (-5):

Doom 3: BFG Edition (360)
Saint's Row: The Third (360)
999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (DS)
The Walking Dead (360)
Bully: Scholarship Edition (Wii)

Beaten (+5):

Assassin's Creed III (360)
Journey (PS3)
Dishonored (360)
The Walking Dead (360)
ZombiU (Wii U)

2012 Score: (-1)

http://backloggery.com/thebigg753

stonedwal

Christmas and Black Friday ruined my +/-

Bought in 2012: -40
Beaten in 2012: +81
Current Score: +41

Bought:
Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)
Mass Effect 3 (360)
Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)
Binary Domain (PS3)
Diablo III (PC)
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha (PSX)
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (PSP)
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 (PS2)
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (PS2)
Gradius Galaxies (GBA)
Mega Man Battle Network (GBA)
Asura's Wrath (PS3)
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (PS3)
Soulcalibur V (PS3)
Sleeping Dogs (Xbox 360)
Dragon's Dogma (Xbox 360)
Max Payne 3 (Xbox 360)
Inazuma Eleven 2: Firestorm (DS)
Mario & Sonic at the 2012 Olympics (3DS)
Devil May Cry HD Collection (PS3)
Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3)
Prototype 2 (PS3)
Fight Night Champion (Xbox 360)
X-Com: Enemy Unknown (PS3)
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (Xbox 360)
Pokemon Black 2 (Nintendo DS)
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (PS3)
Dead or Alive 5 (PS3)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (PS3)
Okami HD (PS3)
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Xbox 360)
UFC Undisputed 3 (Xbox 360)
Borderlands 2 (Xbox 360)
Syndicate (Xbox 360)
Dishonored (Xbox 360)
Resident Evil 6 (Xbox 360)
Assassin's Creed III (Xbox 360)
Halo 4 (Xbox 360)
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors (Xbox)
Capcom vs SNK 2 (PS2)
Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360)

Beaten:
Shadows of the Damned (PS3)
Mortal Kombat Armageddon (Wii)
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil (Xbox)
Total Overdose (Xbox)
Deathrow (Xbox)
Sid Meier's Pirates! (Xbox)
Sly 2: Band of Thieves (PS3, Sly Trilogy)
Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (PS3, Sly Trilogy)
The House of the Dead: Overkill - Director's Cut (PS3)
Urban Chaos: Riot Response (Xbox)
NBA Jam (PS3)
Banjo-Tooie (XBLA)
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (3DS)
Dead Island (360)
God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PS3, Origins Collection)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (GCN)
Resident Evil 0 (GCN)
Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (PS3)
Mass Effect 3 (360)
WWE Day of Reckoning (GCN)
WWE Day of Reckoning 2 (GCN)
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 (360)
Binary Domain (PS3)
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (PS3)
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage (PS3)
Kirby's Return to Dream Land (Wii)
Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce (360)
The Saboteur (360)
Crysis 2 (360)
Sonic Generations (360)
Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Wii)
Project Snowblind (Xbox)
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (PS3, POP Trilogy)
Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble (DS)
MadWorld (Wii)
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS)
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones (PS3, POP Trilogy)
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha (PSX)
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (PSP)
Asura's Wrath (PS3)
Soulcalibur V (PS3)
Yakuza 2 (PS2)
Twisted Metal Black (PS2)
Guitar Hero: Rocks the 80s (PS2)
Scarface: The World is Yours (PS2)
Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Earth (N64)
Wave Race 64 (N64)
Yakuza 3 (PS3)
Yakuza 4 (PS3)
Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)
Gradius Galaxies (GBA)
Astro Boy: The Omega Factor (GBA)
Advance Guardian Heroes (GBA)
Yoshi's Universal Gravitation (GBA)
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge (GBA)
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 (PS2)
Mario vs. Donkey Kong (GBA)
Ace Combat: Squadron Leader (PS2)
The Red Star (PS2)
Demon's Souls (PS3)
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy (3DS)
Boom Blox (Wii)
Batman: The Brave and the Bold (Wii)
Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii)
Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3)
Mario Strikers Charged Football (Wii)
Red Steel 2 (Wii)
Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces (Wii)
Sleeping Dogs (Xbox 360)
Prototype 2 (PS3)
Max Payne 3 (Xbox 360)
Fight Night: Champion (Xbox 360)
Skate 3 (Xbox 360)
Colin McCrae Dirt 2 (Xbox 360)
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (Xbox 360)
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (PS3)
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (N64)
UFC Undisputed 3 (Xbox 360)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (PS3)
Assassin's Creed III (Xbox 360)

I guess 81 games beaten is pretty impressive for a dude who has a demanding full time job and runs a website in his spare time. Unlike previous years where I've beaten lots of games, the majority of these required a lot more time. I really petered out towards the end when work started to heat up - I beat more games in August alone than I did in October through December. I also think that very few things were going to give me the same high I got from beating Demons Souls.

My backlog is still sizeable, but has been halved since the first NeoGAF backlog contest thread back in late 2009. I'm not that bothered by having a massive backlog - so long as what's in the backlog ticks over. I'm pissy that I didn't get back to Majora's Mask or Okami like I said I would, but there's always next year.

No pretty chart this month since my PC went belly up. Is anyone planning on setting up a shared spreadsheet on Google Docs so we can compare our stats?

Added the following games to the backlog:
December
• Dota 2*
• Nintendo Land
• Metro 2033*
• Anachronox
• King of Dragon Pass
• Sid Meier's Colonization
• Fragile Allegiance
• Marvin's Mittens*
• Big Sky Infinity†
• Emerald City Confidential
• Dear Esther
• Condemned: Criminal Origins
• Wizorb*
• Mortal Kombat†
• FTL: Faster than Light
• Virtue's Last Reward

Completed:
December
• The Darkness
• Blackwell Unbound
• Blackwell Convergence
• Blackwell Deception
• The Shivah
• Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
• Resonance
• Big Sky Infinity
• Mortal Kombat

* - free
† - "free" from Playstation Plus

Backloggery

Summary for 2012

4kQDR.png

(December isn't included since LibreOffice sucks at interpreting MSOffice charts)

January update
February update
March update
April update
June update
July update
August update
September update
October update
November update
December update

Overall I completed 116 games in my backlog.
Overall I acquired 190 new games.
Total score for 2012: -74

However, it includes 46 free games and 12 freebies from PS+. If I wanted to feel better about myself I could always pretend I'm only -16 for the year.

I currently have 321 unfinished games in my backlog. 54% are from Steam and Good Old Games.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Bought in 2012: 43
Achron
Alan Wake
Alice: Madness Returns
ARMA 2 Combined Ops
Asura's Wrath
Be Mine 3 Bundle
Binary Domain
Civilization V
Dear Esther
Divinity Anthology
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Drakensang
Driver San Francisco
FTL: Faster Than Light
Humble Indie Bundle V
Humble Indie Bundle 6
Indie Royale The Fall Bundle
Journey
L.A. Noire
Legend of Grimrock
Lone Survivor
Lume
Mafia 2
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Mini Ninjas
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
Offspring Fling!
Proteus
Puzzle Agent
Spec Ops: The Line
The Basement Collection
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
The Walking Dead
Thirty Flights of Loving
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
W40k DoW2: Chaos Rising
W40k DoW2: Retribution
W40k Space Marine
Yakuza 4
Zeno Clash

Completed in 2012: 33
Alice: Madness Returns
Asura's Wrath
Bastion
Binary Domain
Braid
Civilization V
Deadlight
Dear Esther
Defense Grid: The Awekening
Deity
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Journey
Mass Effect 2
McPixel
Offspring Fling!
Portal 2
Puzzle Agent
Red Dead Redemption
Saints Row: The Third
Shatter
Spec Ops: The Line
Starcraft 2
The Walking Dead
Thirty Flights of Loving
To the Moon
Trine 2
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
W40k DoW2: Chaos Rising
W40k Space Marine
Proteus

Curret Score: -10
Not great but I honestly didn't expect to do even half this good.

Year In Summary:

Bought (-50)

Darksiders (360)
Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)
Heavy Rain (PS3)
Rayman Origins (360)
Alan Wake's American Nightmare (XBLA)
Siren: Blood Curse (PSN)
Beyond Good & Evil HD (XBLA)
Perfect Dark (XBLA)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (XBLA)
Shadow Complex (XBLA)
Halo: Reach (360)
Fable III (360)
Max Payne (XBLA)
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (XBLA)
Max Payne 3 (360)
Devil May Cry (360)
Devil May Cry 2 (360)
Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening (360)
Devil May Cry 4 (360)
Dark Souls (PS3)
Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
Luigi's Mansion (GCN)
Viewtiful Joe (GCN)
Star Fox Adventures (GCN)
Dishonored (360)
Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
Hitman: Blood Money (360)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360)
Silent Hill 2 (PS3)
Silent Hill 3 (PS3)
Jak and Daxter (PS3)
Jak II (PS3)
Jak 3 (PS3)
Flow (PS3)
Flower (PS3)
Journey (PS3)
Darksiders II (360)
Sleeping Dogs (360)
New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
ZombiU (Wii U)
Nintendo Land (Wii U)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Wii U)
Madden NFL '13 (Wii U)
999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (DS)
Doom III: BFG Edition (360)
Saint's Row: The Third (360)
Bully: Scholarship Edition (Wii)
The Walking Dead (360)

Finished (+49)

Shadows of the Damned (360)
Gears of War 3 (360)
Dead Space (360)
Dead Space 2 (360)
Alan Wake's American Nightmare (360)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
Ico (PS3)
Shadow of the Colossus (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (360)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (360)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (360)
Heavy Rain (PS3)
Mirror's Edge (360)
God of War (PS3)
God of War II (PS3)
God of War III (PS3)
Half Life 2 (360)
Half Life 2: Episode 1 (360)
Half Life 2: Episode 2 (360)
Vanquish (360)
Beyond Good & Evil HD (360)
Darksiders (360)
Max Payne (360)
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (360)
Max Payne 3 (360)
Rayman Origins (360)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
Goldeneye 007 (Wii)
Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii)
Assassin's Creed (360)
Assassin's Creed II (360)
Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Wii)
Condemned: Criminal Origins (360)
Siren: Blood Curse (PS3)
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Wii)
Bioshock 2 (360)
New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
Journey (PS3)
Dishonored (360)
The Walking Dead (360)
ZombiU (Wii U)

Looking back...WOW, I played a lot of really great games this year!

Final 2012 Score: (-1)

http://backloggery.com/thebigg753

Last update before 2013! Excited for the new thread

The Walking Dead on 360 is beat. I loved it! One major criticism though, it's clear that this game was made with mouse and/or touchscreen in mind. There were a handful of times where the window for clicking something was extremely narrow. Not a problem with mouse/touch, but when using your right thumb on the analog and then needing to use your right thumb again to hit a face button, controller users are at a SERIOUS disadvantage with those moments. I'm worried because my wife plans on playing real soon and I was able to get by with my lightning fast reflexes and finely honed gamer skillz, but in all honesty it really is a disadvantage. You can't change the cursor speed, either. Ah well, no big deal. Still, I adore this game.

Puts me at a final score of +11 for 2012!

Beat: (+34)
2. Shadows of the Damned
3. Uncharted 3
4. Kinect Adventures
7. Duke Nukem Forever
9. Outland
10. Mass Effect 3
12. Ms. 'Splosion Man
16. The Gunstringer
17. Lollipop Chainsaw
18. Dead Space (iOS)
22. Persona 3 Portable
23. Child of Eden
24. Ys Seven
25. Breath of Death VII
26. Rayman Origins
27. Deadly Premonition
34. The Walking Dead

Bought: (-23)
2. Mass Effect 3
3. Lollipop Chainsaw
6. Gungnir
8. Child of Eden (360)
11. Persona 4
18. Prototype 2
19. The Last Story
20. Ys: The Oath in Felghana
21. Catherine
22. The Walking Dead
23. Xenoblade Chronicles

1. KOTOR 1
2. KOTOR 2
3. Gungnir
4. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time HD
5. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within HD
6. Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones HD

Backlog now at: 22

Closing notes:
34 games beat is probably low for what could have been. I got married in May so we prepared for that plus the honeymoon for a long time. I read through probably... 4 books this year and 4 comic book series, 2 of those were A Game of Thrones so they're longer than your average book.

I did pretty well with not buying new games, but in the end I ended up with whatever I wanted anyway. Once Xmas rolled around, any titles that were resisted the first time through, I asked for as gifts. So to be truthful if I weren't on a new game diet, I probably would have ended up close to the same amount anyway.

I have recently switched from playing games on normal difficulty to easy. Only the creme de la creme will be played on Normal of whatever is appropriate for my enjoyment, but I am playing most games on easy for 2 reasons. First, so that I can play the games and still experience them, but with less stress, less time, etc. Secondly, I am losing patience with games nowadays. I haven't started skipping dialog (yet) but in RPG's I will seldom talk to townspeople, I will rarely do side missions, weapon forging... things not really necessary I guess. I just don't have the patience for that stuff anymore, depending on the game. I got 100% in Saints Row the Third, but I did like 2 side missions total in Fable 1, never bought a house, never romanced anyone, didn't even use the expressions, none of that. So it's not everything, but I expect this to get bigger in 2013.

I am participating in the "2013 Stop Buying Games" thread. I have 4 exceptions: Ni No Kuni, South Park, Tomb Raider, and Beyond. That, plus any game(s) that my wife wants; I'll buy them for her/us because I'm grateful to have a wife who is into video games and I'm not going to let my backlog rules ruin her enjoyment of gaming.

I don't plan on buying any next gen consoles but all bets are off once they're announced and the details are revealed. If this happens, I'll probably break my no new games rule for some launch titles or whatever. Same thing with a 3DS XL; I want one to play my remaining DS games on, but if I get a 3DS of course I'll need to buy some 3DS games to go with it. Same thing with a Vita, but I have no plans on getting one unless the price is impossibly low, but who knows what will come up.

I hope to buy a house next year but we'll see how long it takes for me to save the upfront money. If/when this happens, being a first time homeowner will surely cut into my gaming time. Before that, since we're in save money mode, I expect to be staying in much more than usual in an attempt to save on money, so I'll have a little more time for gaming.

I do plan on reading A Game of Thrones book 5 before Season 3 starts on HBO. I also want to read the The Hobbit and the 3 LotR books before The Hobbit part 2 releases. This will obviously cut into my video game time.

I think that's it. Thank you all for the support in this thread! Looking forward to the 2013 thread and I plan on wowing you all with my backlog destroying skill. I was at zero games once... and I will again.

mfE0e.png

Did I miss anyone so far? I'll continue to add people the next few days or so until someone starts a thread for 2013. It seems like stonedwal is at least four times as awesome as everyone else.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sorry for posting this here... but the Winter Sales thread reached the max amount of posts, so where's |OT2|?

SalsaShark is banned again, so someone else will have to make a new OT for the Steam sale. I've only gotten four games, but I'll look through my wishlist before the day is over. I don't want to ruin my backlog progress for next year.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SalsaShark is banned again, so someone else will have to make a new OT for the Steam sale. I've only gotten four games, but I'll look through my wishlist before the day is over. I don't want to ruin my backlog progress for next year.
Why didn't anyone plan this out before-hand :/? Very sloppy...

You don't really have to put much effort into making a OT2. Just post a link to the Steam store and the previous OP and you're done.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
mfE0e.png

Did I miss anyone so far? I'll continue to add people the next few days or so until someone starts a thread for 2013. It seems like stonedwal is at least four times as awesome as everyone else.
What's this? I can't see the pic. Are you adding people to gift them games? Or is it a Steam group that serves as the OT2? Or is that a pic of your Death Note with the name of everyone on Steam-GAF on it?

Haha...it's just a list with how well people did this year. I made a simple list plot with bought games, completed games, and the backlog score.

Edit: Here's the same thing as a list.
Code:
Name	Bought	Completed	Score
stonedwal	40	81	41
Gryphter	23	34	11
Brashnir	27	28	1
TheBigG753	50	49	-1
Blitzniak	43	33	-10
ghibli99	79	51	-28
archnemesis	190	116	-74

Netto-kun

Well damn, there goes my overall 2012 score. The thing is that I haven't bought too many games from the Steam Holiday Sale. 11 of my new games were either gifts or free games!
laugh.gif
If there's one thing I'll try to focus on with 2013, it'd be playing more short games rather than a bunch of 30+ hours RPGs. Might edit and add Mark of the Ninja and Under Defeat HD to the "Beaten" list later if I manage to beat both before 2012 is over.

Games bought in December:
  1. Metro 2033 (Steam) [Free game]
  2. Wanderlust: Rebirth (Steam) [Gift]
  3. Sine Mora (Steam)
  4. Mark of the Ninja (Steam)
  5. Nimbus (Steam) [Gift]
  6. Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy (Steam) [Gift]
  7. Fairy Bloom Freesia (Steam) [Gift]
  8. Wizorb (PSmini) [Free game]
  9. Canabalt (PSmini) [Free game]
  10. BREAKQUEST (PS Mini) [Free game]
  11. Velocity (PS Mini) [Free game]
  12. Under Defeat HD (PSN)
  13. Metroid II: Return of Samus (VCH)
  14. Crimson Shroud (3DSDL)
  15. The King of Fighters XIII (PS3)
  16. Final Fantasy Dimensions (iPod)
  17. Sorcerian iOS (iPod) [Free game]
  18. Guilty Gear XX Λ Core Plus (PSN)
  19. Kirby's Adventure Wii (Wii)
  20. Wizorb (Steam) [Gift]

Games beaten in December:
  1. Final Fantasy Dimensions (iPod)
  2. Fairy Bloom Freesia (Steam)
  3. Sine Mora (Steam)
  4. Tales of Destiny Director's Cut (PS2)
  5. Guilty Gear XX Λ Core Plus (PSN)
  6. The King of Fighters XIII (PS3)
  7. Kirby's Sdventure (Wii)

December
Bought: 20
Beaten: 7
December score: -13

As for the other beaten/bought games from 2012:

Bought
  1. Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3)
  2. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (Wii VC)
  3. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (Wii VC)
  4. Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3)
  5. Pokémon Black Version 2 (NDS)
  6. Liberation Maiden (3DSDL)
  7. Worms Pinball (Steam) [Free]
  8. Worms Crazy Golf (Steam) [Free]
  9. Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise (Wii)
  10. Tokyo Jungle (PSN)
  11. Pokémon Conquest (NDS)
  12. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
  13. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure HD Ver. (PSN)
  14. Persona 4: The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena (PS3)
  15. Nayuta no Kiseki (PSP)
  16. Catherine (PS3)
  17. Lollipop Chainsaw (PS3)
  18. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (3DS)
  19. Orcs Must Die! 2 (Steam) [Gift]
  20. Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone (Steam)
  21. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Steam)
  22. Q.U.B.E. (Steam)
  23. Bunch of Heroes (Steam) [Gift]
  24. Trine 2 (Steam)
  25. THEATRHYTHM Final Fantasy (3DS)
  26. Shining Blade (PSP)
  27. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PSP)
  28. Sonic Colours (Wii)
  29. La-Mulana (WW)
  30. Mighty Switch Force (3DSDL)
  31. Dillon's Rolling Western (3DSDL)
  32. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (VCH)
  33. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (VCH)
  34. Rayman (VCH) [Free]
  35. Ys Origin (Steam)
  36. Midnight Club II (Steam) [Free]
  37. Rayman Origins (Steam) [Gift]
  38. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (PS3)
  39. Rhythm Thief & the Emperor’s Treasure (3DS)
  40. Bug Princess 2 (iOS) [Gift]
  41. Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
  42. Ys: The Oath in Felghana (Steam)
  43. Twisted Metal (PS3) [Free promo]
  44. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 (NDS)
  45. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
  46. Pullblox (3DSDL)
  47. Super Mario Land (VCH)
  48. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (DSiW) [Free]
  49. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
  50. Deus Ex [Trade]
  51. Tales of the Tempest
  52. Sonic Generations

Beaten
  1. Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3)
  2. Tales of Xillia 2 (PS3)
  3. Sky Jumper Sol [aka Aura-Aura Climber] (DSiWare)
  4. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (DSiWare)
  5. Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X (PSP)
  6. Tales of Phantasia: Cross Edition (PSP)
  7. Pokémon Black Version 2 (NDS)
  8. Persona 4 (PS2)
  9. Liberation Maiden (3DSDL)
  10. Half-Minute Hero (PSP)
  11. Mega Man Star Force 3 - Red Joker (NDS)
  12. Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim (PCDL)
  13. Catherine (PS3)
  14. Orcs Must Die! 2 (Steam)
  15. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
  16. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure HD Ver. (PSN)
  17. Nayuta no Kiseki (PSP)
  18. Persona 4: The Ultimate In Mayonaka Arena (PS3)
  19. Gundemonium Recollection (PSN)
  20. GundeadliGne (PSN)
  21. Pokémon Conquest (NDS)
  22. Kirby Super Star Ultra (NDS)
  23. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (3DS)
  24. Vampire Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (PSP)
  25. Shining Blade (PSP)
  26. Inazuma Eleven 3: Sekai e no Chousen!! Bomber (NDS)
  27. THEATRHYTHM Final Fantasy (3DS)
  28. Mighty Switch Force! (3DSDL)
  29. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (VCH)
  30. Rockman Zero 4 (NDS)
  31. Rockman Zero 3 (NDS)
  32. Rockman Zero 2 (NDS)
  33. Rockman Zero (NDS)
  34. Sengoku Basara X (PS2)
  35. Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (NDS)
  36. Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (PSN)
  37. Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (PSN)
  38. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Fight for the Future - Online Edition (PSN)
  39. The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki (PSP)
  40. Ys Origin (Steam)
  41. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (PS3)
  42. Rhythm Thief & the Emperor’s Treasure (3DS)
  43. Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (PSP)
  44. Irregular Hunter X (PSP) [Aka Mega Man Maverick Hunter X]
  45. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
  46. Bug Princess 2 (iOS)
  47. Ys Origin (PCDL)
  48. Ys I & II Chronicles: Ancient Ys Vanished - Omen (PSP)
  49. Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)
  50. Ys: The Oath in Felghana (Steam)
  51. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 (NDS)
  52. The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki (PSP)
  53. The Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki the 3rd (PSP)
  54. Dead Nation (PSN)
  55. Super Mario Land (VCH)
  56. The Legend of Heroes: Sora no Kiseki SC (PSP)
  57. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
  58. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
  59. Street Fighter IV Volt (iOS)
  60. Sonic Generations (PS3)
  61. Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie (NDS)
  62. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP)
  63. Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PSP)
  64. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP)
  65. Inazuma Eleven 2: The Threat of the Invaders - Fire (NDS)
  66. Portal 2 (Steam)
  67. Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3)

Overall score for 2012
Bought: 72
Beaten: 74
2012 score: +2

Backloggery

Top Bottom