• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: PS3 Menu Examination

fse

sableholic said:

what...
is this true?

"ou can keep your own Wallet without your buddies charging up hundreds of dollars on online demos when they're all stoned, and you can keep your own game saves, online buddy list, browser favorites, Blu-Ray and game 'kiddie protection' settings, and other personal details"

gketter said:
what browser were you using? Do you have any popup blockers enabled that'd interfere?

I got it figured out. I have an anti-spyware program running and it has it's own pop-up blocking feature (which was on).

Amir0x

Banned
Well, as long as it's 95% BC with thousands of games that's a far better trade off then BC with upscaling/enhancements but only 20% of games work. However, they really should offer the upscaling/enhancements... it's odd that it doesn't, considering at least upscaling should not be a monumental task.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm sure they will improve the bc with updates, but I'm just glad that it works. I wonder if they will let you install right onto the hd...

sp0rsk said:
I'm sure they will improve the bc with updates, but I'm just glad that it works. I wonder if they will let you install right onto the hd...

Supplanting HDloader would be awesome, but somehow I feel doubtful about this particular possibility.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Has anyone talked about how "aware" the network is in terms of what's being played by your pals?

There was a blurb in the Friends section of the writup

ign said:
This feature was a little empty in great big features, but its abilities were hidden in the demo -- looking at the menu of friends scrawling out on the screen, you wouldn't think that there was much more until you saw it in action. However, this Friends feature is not just your AIM buddy list -- when you click a friend (either offline or online), you can get info about that friend and make a connection with them. We didn't see it in action at this event, but previous events hinted that you should be able to find out what game a player is in by checking their profile, and pop-up flags for chat features will also allow you to connect with that user either through Mail, live Text Chat, live Audio Chat, and even live Video Chat.

gketter said:
There was a blurb in the Friends section of the writup

There you go!

The pieces are all in place in little chunks: Store, the Friends List, Pive Arcade, Jet Moto II... All it needs is the one big chunk, lovingly hand crafted by the descendants of Pierre Belmondo and Feisar Industries.

Bring me my Wipeout, Sony. I'm ready now.

It appears the initial article, was a work in progress and now the completed article is done.

Check out this cool bit of info on the blueTooth setup:
ign said:
Register BlueTooth Device -- This is where you can set up your various BlueTooth wireless devices to network into your PS3. The feature was already working, and pretty cool. The menu option came up with a search function for Headset / Microphone / Headphones as the devices it searches for first, and there were no BlueTooth Keyboard / Mouse or other devices to select instead. (Not that there were any to find in the room.) However, the BlueTooth register feature was already going beyond the simple features, and when we asked it to scan, the system found a number of BlackBerry PDAs being held by journalists and PR reps at the event. A number of generic drivers should be available for various devices, and SCE's reps (if you want to call EyeToy mastermind Richard Marks a "rep" -- note that we got this information second-hand by eavesdropping, and aren't 100% sure this was what he was talking about) said that PS3-compatible drivers might be available for various BlueTooth units to download.

Seems like that pretty much confirms it'll support almost all BlueTooth headsets

CamHostage

You can also download games when over at a friend's house and play your games on his system (provided that you're still there -- if you go back home, your friend can't play the game for free anymore.) You can re-download a purchase up to five times, making buying online much less a scary endeavor.

Goreomedy said:
Confirmation that IGN ****ed up when blogging earlier. No game sharing, just the ability to download and essentially show off a title to your friends.

Rice-Eater said:
If it's based upon the user ID then can't we just share each others user ID as a way to share the games?

It's a version of Game Sharing, just not a permanent one. You can play a game over at a friend's house, he doesn't have to buy it, so it's kind of like having the game be portable.

Sharing the User ID will probably not work since it'll boot one player if the other tries to use it. Plus, if you have cash in your PS wallet, you won't want your buddy to have access.

CamHostage said:
It's a version of Game Sharing, just not a permanent one. You can play a game over at a friend's house, he doesn't have to buy it, so it's kind of like having the game be portable.

Sharing the User ID will probably not work since it'll boot one player if the other tries to use it. Plus, if you have cash in your PS wallet, you won't want your buddy to have access.

Its essentially the same as on 360 at the moment, you can play the game with friends, but you can't log into your profile in more than one place at once.

dc765

It's odd that the XMB has got two sections for resolutions, unless the main one is for the webbrower etc, then you have a seperate one for games. But why no 1080i/1080p split etc on the first image. Kinda odd.

ps3_11_1161118130.jpg

ps308.jpg

"ED. NOTE - IGN previously reported that SCE had confirmed an omission of upscaling features. We have since checked our interview notes and have found that the comment that led to this report was more vague than we understood at the time -- SCEA President Kaz Hirai commented that backwards-compatible games will "run in their original form", which does not specify exactly whether display adjustments do not fit the "original form." We apologize for the confusion, and will ask SCE as soon as possible for clarification. Please stop posting on message boards that "SONY SUX" for the time being."

Just added to the article, I presume.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/740/740601p5.html

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AndriaSang said:
"ED. NOTE - IGN previously reported that SCE had confirmed an omission of upscaling features. We have since checked our interview notes and have found that the comment that led to this report was more vague than we understood at the time -- SCEA President Kaz Hirai commented that backwards-compatible games will "run in their original form", which does not specify exactly whether display adjustments do not fit the "original form." We apologize for the confusion, and will ask SCE as soon as possible for clarification. Please stop posting on message boards that "SONY SUX" for the time being."

Just added to the article, I presume.

theres still hope then, if not I assume a firmware update could add the enhancements. Anyways, glad to hear about bluetooth headset/devices confirmation. :D

Jonnyram

dc765 said:
It's odd that the XMB has got two sections for resolutions, unless the main one is for the webbrower etc, then you have a seperate one for games. But why no 1080i/1080p split etc on the first image. Kinda odd.

http://www.ps3blogi.fi/images/ps3_11_1161118130.jpg

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20061018/ps308.jpg
It's not odd at all. The first one is setting the output res for games, and the second is setting what res your TV can display. OK, so it is odd, but I'm explaining it, at least :)

glaurung

Jonnyram said:
It's not odd at all. The first one is setting the output res for games, and the second is setting what res your TV can display. OK, so it is odd, but I'm explaining it, at least :)

Sony's probably still tweaking the interface though. The smaller screen with the black background is older, the amber one is from the Finnish test machine.

It could be that the first setup of a PS3 system differs from the latter adjustments interface-wise.

Also notice that the Finnish test machine has a different icon for user menu on the XMB™ and looks worse in my opinion than the older arrow-shaped one.

And of course, if they decide to start updating/upgrading the XMB™, everything would still change etc.

squicken

Crazymoogle said:

I know my TV, a Samsung DLP, doesn't accept a 480i image over HDMI. And since most PS games are 480i, lots of people with similar sets will have to switch cables around to play those games.

But since I don't care much about BC, I'll just add that the menu interface is awesome. It absolutely blows away the 360 interface in terms of presentation. The small little videos all playing, the photos cascading onto the screen. Absolutely stunning. The PS3 really can be the center of one's living room with all that functionality. No wmv playback is a little silly, but understandable.

squicken said:
No wmv playback is a little silly, but understandable.

Strange though, since they will already have to support VC-1, which is the hollywood form of WMV-HD, for blu-ray. So they already have paid the license!?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
ChrisAllenFiz said:
Strange though, since they will already have to support VC-1, which is the hollywood form of WMV-HD, for blu-ray. So they already have paid the license!?
Maybe it's because the WMV format itself is proprietary too. I remember that virtualdub had to remove the wmv support because MS would let them use it without the proper license.

squicken

Blimblim said:
Maybe it's because the WMV format itself is proprietary too. I remember that virtualdub had to remove the wmv support because MS would let them use it without the proper license.

One wonders if MS refused or if Sony even bothered to ask.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
sp0rsk said:
I'm sure they will improve the bc with updates

Yeah, just like Microsoft. :(

Although I guess Sony have more interest in actually providing updates than MS, given that they'll be making money from their backwards compatibility through downloads of old games, and adding enhancements will make that more appealing to gamers.

Safe Bet

Banned
dc765 said:
I'm probably making way too large of a leap here, but...

Multi-Display Gaming from the same Console?

*fingers crossed*

Edit:

This is most likely the reason though:

glaurung said:
Sony's probably still tweaking the interface though. The smaller screen with the black background is older, the amber one is from the Finnish test machine.
:(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I wonder if you can adjust the output for BluRay? I would really like to have the system output at 1080p/24 (best for movies).

Hopefully there will also be some enhancements for PSX/PS2 titles, but I would not be suprised if there were not. They are aiming for 99% compatibility here and throwing in enhancements almost always causes issues.

Baryn

Banned
gketter said:
Wait till you get to the games section where they state the've been told no PSOne or PS2 upscaling or enhancments! Ugh!

That's really disapointing. I'm hoping a future update can fix that

truthofmaxpaynebp7.jpg

Don't post crap like this. They didn't even try the BC feature, what they said is baseless conjecture. Upscaling is likely still in, as Sony has said NOTHING about texture smoothing in the past, but has confirmed upscaling multiple times.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
So have their been any shots of the store yet? The IGN description makes the store sound like just a series of web pages.

Baryn said:
truthofmaxpaynebp7.jpg

Don't post crap like this. They didn't even try the BC feature, what they said is baseless conjecture. Upscaling is likely still in, as Sony has said NOTHING about texture smoothing in the past, but has confirmed upscaling multiple times.

I think the jury is still out on this:

We were not able to try PS2 or PS1 backward-compatibility on PS3, but we have been told that the system will not enhance games with improved textures -- it will run them straight.

ED. NOTE - IGN previously reported that SCE had confirmed an omission of upscaling features. We have since checked our interview notes and have found that the comment that led to this report was more vague than we understood at the time -- SCEA President Kaz Hirai commented that backwards-compatible games will "run in their original form", which does not specify exactly whether display adjustments do not fit the "original form." We apologize for the confusion, and will ask SCE as soon as possible for clarification. Please stop posting on message boards that "SONY SUX" for the time being.

BuddyC

Music playback is done much as it is on PSP, with a folder structure that you can browse through of your various devices, which include the HDD, the Memory Stick and SD Card slots (if you have the $599 model), or your PSP or music player connected by USB.
The hope for custom soundtracks streaming from iPods lives on!

On a down note, SCE informed us that DVD upscaling was not part of the PS3 multimedia feature set. The Xbox 360 upscales DVDs, so it's surprising to see SCE go without the feature.

Selecting games with the PS3 is very similar to PSP, but also a little different as well. The thing that is the same is that discs pop up as discs, while there are also save folders and other features to store PS3 content. The difference is that, at current, it doesn't store applets inside any Memory Stick folder -- everything is now much more clear as to what it does with downloaded content. For one, it's all right there on the menu. You can browse through every game you have available to play -- your downloaded games simply show up as menu choices, so you can play Criminal Crackdown or your demo of MotorStorm or your Blu-Ray disc game of Untold Legends, all from the same menu, all presented as the same choices at any given time. (Blu-Ray games do show up as Blu-Ray games, with a Blu-Ray icon, as they take some time to load the data from the disc on what they are, so it's faster and more iconic to show the game this way.) This folder-less system may prove unwieldy once you start accumulating downloads and demos and other content, so we're hoping SCE comes up with some kind of folder structure. Compared to the PSP's menu of the same feature, however, it's a little less confusing in presentation.

We were not able to try PS2 or PS1 backward-compatibility on PS3, but we have been told that the system will not enhance games with improved textures -- it will run them straight.

ED. NOTE - IGN previously reported that SCE had confirmed an omission of upscaling features. We have since checked our interview notes and have found that the comment that led to this report was more vague than we understood at the time -- SCEA President Kaz Hirai commented that backwards-compatible games will "run in their original form", which does not specify exactly whether display adjustments do not fit the "original form." We apologize for the confusion, and will ask SCE as soon as possible for clarification. Please stop posting on message boards that "SONY SUX" for the time being.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
On a down note, SCE informed us that DVD upscaling was not part of the PS3 multimedia feature set. The Xbox 360 upscales DVDs, so it's surprising to see SCE go without the feature.
I hope they allow for 480i playback then. XBOX360 will not do 480i unless you switch the cable and, quite frankly, my TV does a *MUCH* better job than the 360 (whether using VGA or component). 480i allows me to use the 3:3 pulldown feature as well while it is disabled while using 480p.

If I can output 480i for DVD and 1080p/24 for BD, I will be very happy.

Forsete

New pics from the finnish blog. http://www.ps3blogi.fi/

Old icons am back?

ps3_19_1161294848.jpg

Project Midway or Chitta, can you say what this says? Its printed under this image. "Valikoista löytyy nyt enää vain yksi resoluution valinta joka pätee sekä valikoille että peleille."
ps3_20_1161295132.jpg

"Ja tässä Custom valinnan alla oleva lista. En mennyt sen pidemmälle kun sormet jo syyhysivät päästä pelaamaan." <<<<- Says something about Custom :D
ps3_21_1161295393.jpg

If they're bringing downloadable PS1 emulation to the PS3 then software emulation and enhancements for the original discs can't be too far behind. PS2 will be trickier but seeing that latest emulator running games pretty well on a dual core system with AA gives me hope.

Jonnyram

I think it's been known for some time that BC in the early units is hardware-based. There won't be improvements, largely for that reason. It's based on the chipset used in the new PStwos, so those games that had problems, like Tekken 5, will have the same problems on the PS3.

Oni Jazar

On a down note, SCE informed us that DVD upscaling was not part of the PS3 multimedia feature set. The Xbox 360 upscales DVDs, so it's surprising to see SCE go without the feature

It shocks me that they're not upscaling DVDs. THERE IS NO REASON TO NOT HAVE THIS FEATURE. I hope everyone raises a stink about it and they offer a FW update.

Jonnyram said:
I think it's been known for some time that BC in the early units is hardware-based. There won't be improvements, largely for that reason. It's based on the chipset used in the new PStwos, so those games that had problems, like Tekken 5, will have the same problems on the PS3.

That's kind of a bunk argument though Jonny; PS2-3001 was using hardware-based BC for PS1 but managed to pull off a few things.

I'm not saying the process is trivial, but getting cell to upscale the frame buffer on the way out, bumping up disc speed, and possibly installing to drive really isn't going too far out of the way.

Midas

Oni Jazar said:
It shocks me that they're not upscaling DVDs. THERE IS NO REASON TO NOT HAVE THIS FEATURE. I hope everyone raises a stink about it and they offer a FW update.

The X360 does that? How do I get it to do that?

Top Bottom