• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of 25 years of Demon Summoning, GAF Plays: The (Shin) Megami Tensei series

You can get all the skills you want on a Persona when they're randomly selected ; it's gonna take FOREVER but it's still doable. I'd rather not waste an hour of accepting/cancelling shit just to get the skills I want.

cj_iwakura

Holy crap if this is true:

1357387955755.png

Hazama is on the same level of bullshit as Mem Aleph. He keeps debuffing (with Debilitate!) and using the most powerful spells and physical skills, and Makarakarn. And he has 20,000 HP, much more than YHVH in SMT2. He nulls some elements, too.
The fetus is even worse, with 30,000 and instant death spells.

I want another shot at If now.

Soulhouf

I hope SMT4 lets you fuse demons anywhere at anytime, would be a major downgrade from SJ if you need to go to specific places to fuse demons.

I prefer doing it in an insane Cathedral of Shadow with that suspicious looking priest and weird dick-like pillars and on top of that ritual dark music.
Nothing beats that.

@cj_iwakura: I made some screenshots during my run in SMT if... PS1 version. If you're interested, PM-me.

cj_iwakura

I prefer doing it in an insane Cathedral of Shadow with that suspicious looking priest and weird dick-like pillars and on top of that ritual dark music.
Nothing beats that.

@cj_iwakura: I made some screenshots during my run in SMT if... PS1 version. If you're interested, PM-me.

I agree, there's something for the ambient experience. I like how Soul Hackers does it. You can do simple stuff on the go, but if you want the intricate(like triple) fusions, you need the Goumaden.

And I've been playing the SFC version(I always start with the original), but I wouldn't mind seeing the PS1 version at some point.

Soulhouf

Does it behave like a frolic in the park until you get to that boss and/or have another easy boss on a different ethical route like SJ or?

You have to choose a specific partner in the beginning of the game. His ultimate form has a instant death attack with 100% success rate. So if you don't equip your MC with the right gear, Game Over.

cj_iwakura

Does it behave like a frolic in the park until you get to that boss and/or have another easy boss on a different ethical route like SJ or?

From what I've played of If, I assume it's a frolic until that point. The dungeons are the hardest part, boss fights are minimal to non-existent, and usually a joke.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Finally found the time to update the summary again. I'm glad the thread is still doing so well.

I'm currently playing P4:Golden (about 15 hours in) which is so new that I didn't really want to post about it in here. I still plan to play the SNES version of SMT later on, if I find the time. So much else to do and there's also still a Lunar game to play.

Soulhouf

I agree, there's something for the ambient experience. I like how Soul Hackers does it. You can do simple stuff on the go, but if you want the intricate(like triple) fusions, you need the Goumaden.

And I've been playing the SFC version(I always start with the original), but I wouldn't mind seeing the PS1 version at some point.

I played both version and I pretty much prefer the PS1 version. It keeps all what made the SFC version great and makes it better.

Here we go: screenshots from my playthrough Shin Megami Tensei if... PS1 version.
It includes the end boss and his special form as well. Spoilers alert of course.

smtif02_zpsfe55fb87.jpg

smtif04_zpsa043a1cb.jpg
smtif05_zps349ab93f.jpg
smtif06_zpsff304c0d.jpg
smtif07_zpsb79e561f.jpg
smtif08_zps1f744cea.jpg
smtif09_zpsf1bb0248.jpg
smtif10_zps37629149.jpg
smtif11_zpsc7d2a289.jpg
smtif12_zps471841af.jpg
smtif13_zps2ff71c04.jpg
smtif14_zps476abec7.jpg
smtif15_zps83fc8d9e.jpg
smtif16_zpsc97beff3.jpg
smtif17_zps64f2331a.jpg
smtif18_zps5b25db1e.jpg
smtif19_zps9fb9e705.jpg
smtif20_zps9311bdb5.jpg
smtif21_zpsfda12622.jpg
smtif22_zps77427d70.jpg
smtif03_zps8a9e2728.jpg
smtif23_zps24ebeca3.jpg
smtif24_zps8ddf856f.jpg
smtif25_zps2b2e33b1.jpg
smtif26_zpse5bf0f22.jpg
smtif27_zpsad6009ce.jpg
smtif28_zpse25c20c1.jpg
smtif29_zpsff793a35.jpg
smtif30_zps9f52a2e5.jpg
smtif31_zps9a468dd4.jpg
smtif32_zps0aa7e4e5.jpg
smtif34_zps253ec0f6.jpg
smtif37_zps91bb1ed8.jpg
smtif39_zpscd70b79c.jpg
smtif40_zps5516b411.jpg
smtif41_zps672ae5aa.jpg
smtif42_zps13c0ff2b.jpg
smtif43_zps1fe17c06.jpg
smtif44_zps0c813b12.jpg
smtif45_zps1cc09c22.jpg
smtif48_zpsc30e8cda.jpg

MechaX

Picked up P2:EP after a long break and powered through the Sumaru TV dungeon.

Man, I forgot how the map-making quest + high encounter rate really make for a strenuous time. Doesn't help that Sumaru TV is a beefy dungeon (even if a highly fascinating one at that).

I think I'll get back to the screenshot play-by-play and get the Sumaru TV section posted tomorrow. There are just too many interesting things that happen in that dungeon.

Picked up P2:EP after a long break and powered through the Sumaru TV dungeon.

Man, I forgot how the map-making quest + high encounter rate really make for a strenuous time. Doesn't help that Sumaru TV is a beefy dungeon (even if a highly fascinating one at that).

I think I'll get back to the screenshot play-by-play and get the Sumaru TV section posted tomorrow. There are just too many interesting things that happen in that dungeon.

Estoma is your best friend.

randomkid

So, some SMT1 interface questions I hope someone here knows the answer to.

1. The manual says this:
"FUSION SHORTCUTS:
If you hold down the L button when picking the first demon you want to use in
your fusion (second demon if you are doing a triple fusion) you can the Race of
the demon you fuse in the "Result" column of the Fusion screen. If you hold down
the R button when picking your demons, you can see the Name of the resulting
demon next to the Result Column"

But uh, this doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong? Is it an issue with the fan translation patch? Fusion has been a pretty major slog so someone please tell me there's a way to do this.

2. Can you sell multiple items at once to people in shops? Going one by one is not very fun and my inventory cant handle all the random shit I keep getting.

3. Any complete Demon FAQs out there? I'm normally not that OCD about this kinda stuff but if there's a demon with crazy awesome skills around my level I'm missing out on that would kinda suck.

I'm otherwise enjoying myself but some pointers from the vets would be very helpful thanks.

cj_iwakura

Great news!

There's a patch for If out in the wild that translates the gameplay(only).

ifl.png

ifl2.png

Even worked with my existing save. Back into the trenches!

randomkid

Haha yeah things have been real easy so far (my bead stockpile is ridiculous and I'm only at Ginza) but I love fusing so not being able to see my options is a bummer.

Heropon

Eternal Punishment beaten. Now I can have access to that spoiler thread and read theories about the plot to understand it better.

I feel that I've grinded a bit too much in the last dungeon, I won't do that again. I wanted to get all those ALL incenses!

Heropon

After thinking that I was running out of Persona games, I thought about getting into other games of the main series or spin-offs and I finally got SMT3:Nocturne. I've just completed the first "dungeon" (the hospital) and I wanted to share some thoughts:

Wow, the MP drains really fast. Thank goodness there were healing rooms all over the place. I fear the next dungeons.

The Nagatama growth system seems interesting, but seeing that learning skills is limited to the level ups, I fear not choosing well between them. That reminds me that I have to choose the build of my hero, and I'm not sure if I should make him balanced, physically or magically powerful. And the other question: Should I increase the luck stat?

The story seems pretty interesting so far, I mean, the "crysis" happens before I have any idea of what is really happening. I think I was spoiled in other threads about the identity of the kid/wheelchair man:
Louis Cyphre/Lucifer???
. Damn if it's true!!!

I like this game so far, let's see how it goes.

Ourobolus

Banned
After thinking that I was running out of Persona games, I thought about getting into other games of the main series or spin-offs and I finally got SMT3:Nocturne. I've just completed the first "dungeon" (the hospital) and I wanted to share some thoughts:

Wow, the MP drains really fast. Thank goodness there were healing rooms all over the place. I fear the next dungeons.

The Nagatama growth system seems interesting, but seeing that learning skills is limited to the level ups, I fear not choosing well between them. That reminds me that I have to choose the build of my hero, and I'm not sure if I should make him balanced, physically or magically powerful. And the other question: Should I increase the luck stat?

The story seems pretty interesting so far, I mean, the "crysis" happens before I have any idea of what is really happening. I think I was spoiled in other threads about the identity of the kid/wheelchair man:
Louis Cyphre/Lucifer???
. Damn if it's true!!!

Get Tornado and Fog Breath for the Demifiend. Thank me later.

Soulhouf

Louis Cyphre/Lucifer???
. Damn if it's true!!!

The most important "spells" for demifiend are the buff/debuff ones and the HP using ones for damage.
I hope you're playing hard mode for full experience.
Enjoy!

Louis Cyphre/Lucifer???
. Damn if it's true!!!

Obligatory:
6IvAM.jpg

Heropon

I hate demon negotiation and how random it is! The demons are like: "Gimme, gimme, gimme" and then: "Oooops, I forgot that I had something else to do." Everytime they want a life stone I have to refuse thanks to this.

randomkid

Man, I thought I was being so slick grabbing this demon early through a random triple fusion...

shinmegamitensei012bxr1k.png

Only to discover that SMT1's version of Mediarahan is in no way comparable to the one in every other Megaten. Freaking 60 HP, are you kidding me? Also Petra Eyes only goes after one enemy at a time. I guess what I'm saying is, Gorgon, I'm disappointed in you.

Also Ginza took foreeeeeever, yeesh, glad to be above ground.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Been playing SMT Nocturne for the past week. As much as I can between school, work, and chores...

Got stuck on Matador back when I first tried out the game a couple years ago.

This time around I'm more experienced with SMT. Beat Persona 4 and I've tried a couple others such as King Abaddon and Strange Journey.

I came prepared with a Force absorbing demon. I've always read on forums about how "Oh Matador is easy just get Zan demons and be at least Level 10" so I knew what was coming. Was able to get him to his second phase of attacks which I had never done before. And thats when he proceeded to beat the everliving shit out of my party.

Don't spoil the strategy for me, I'll figure it out eventually. I'm mainly gonna focus on getting one more party member with Sukunda and one more with Media. Maybe another Force absorbing or at least resistant demon too. And I know they sell a Force Magatama in the sewers so I might try that since I have lots of monies. Would be easier than fusing and getting certain Skills at least.

Been playing SMT Nocturne for the past week. As much as I can between school, work, and chores...

Got stuck on Matador back when I first tried out the game a couple years ago.

This time around I'm more experienced with SMT. Beat Persona 4 and I've tried a couple others such as King Abaddon and Strange Journey.

I came prepared with a Force absorbing demon. I've always read on forums about how "Oh Matador is easy just get Zan demons and be at least Level 10" so I knew what was coming. Was able to get him to his second phase of attacks which I had never done before. And thats when he proceeded to beat the everliving shit out of my party.

Don't spoil the strategy for me, I'll figure it out eventually. I'm mainly gonna focus on getting one more party member with Sukunda and one more with Media. Maybe another Force absorbing or at least resistant demon too. And I know they sell a Force Magatama in the sewers so I might try that since I have lots of monies. Would be easier than fusing and getting certain Skills at least.

Fight fight fight fight!

Sub_Level

Beat him after like 3 hours of grinding and fusing! I'm used to much easier JRPGs so all this is new to me.

8416664131_398911e531_b.jpg

Wasn't terribly hard, though (playing on Normal). The Force Magatama was tempting but I used the Physical one instead (not the Phsyical one you start with, the better one that has Skills like Heat Wave and Focus). My Snake Nozuchi died too so I switched him out midfight for good 'ole Pixie (now High Pixie) from the Hospital.

Also, thank god for the Alchemy system; I have like 7 Bead Chains, a couple Soma Droplets, Chakra Pots, and even a couple Balm of Risings. Never put any resources into Elements or Mitamis since I don't completely understand them.

Beat him after like 3 hours of grinding and fusing! I'm used to much easier JRPGs so all this is new to me.

Wasn't terribly hard, though (playing on Normal). The Force Magatama was tempting but I used the Physical one instead (not the Phsyical one you start with, the better one that has Skills like Heat Wave and Focus). My Snake Nozuchi died too so I switched him out midfight for good 'ole Pixie (now High Pixie) from the Hospital.

Also, thank god for the Alchemy system; I have like 7 Bead Chains, a couple Soma Droplets, Chakra Pots, and even a couple Balm of Risings. Never put any resources into Elements or Mitamis since I don't completely understand them.

Elements are very useful since they allow you to rank up or rank down a demon (depending on the race). They make getting specific demons much easier.

Sub_Level

Spent an hour clearing out the entire first floor of the First Kalpa only to get killed with an instant death spell on floor B1.

AlrightyThen.gif

But I guess I should look forward to that kind of thing.

Fou-Lu

Wait, Nocturne and DDS I&II are only $20 on Amazon? I can finally own these games again! Also just got Persona 4: Golden, I've never played it, so really looking forward to it! (By the way I haven't played the first two Persona games, how are they on PSP?)

Finalow

that's the boss where you realize that you can fuse demons to get better ones! The game isn't hard, you just need to grind sometime like you should in every jrpg.

cj_iwakura

So listening to the Raidou 2 OST reminded me I should finish the optional boss before Soul Hackers comes out.

Do I have to finish all the quests, or can I just fight him straightaway? I got the Chaos end last time, so I should be good there.

Top Bottom