• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 has now dropped to 4th on the XBL activity list, is it in trouble?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Same. I love it, and while I can understand why others don't, some of the so called community is just a relentless hate parade. That bums me out more than any changes to the formula.

At least I got to SR 103 before giving up and retiring it to the "games under Mass Effect 3 NEVER AGAIN" pile.

At least I got to SR 103 before giving up and retiring it to the "games under Mass Effect 3 NEVER AGAIN" pile.
Not bad :)

Just hit 72 I think, but that's been a serious run for me so far, as I don't usually hang around multiplayer after the first few weeks. The movement and shooting, weapon and AA selection, and audio/visual effects are just too damn good.

I don't understand what they were going for with Spartan Ops though. As a terrorist hunt mode its great, but that kind of mode should have scoring and other elements of replayability. But even the weekly challenges are just Kill 50 X, or Kill 100 X - not exactly the stuff that gets your juices flowing. By making it out to be small campaign encounters it becomes the kind of thing you run though once, maybe twice.

That said, at least there will be some new environments come next week.

I really enjoy the multiplayer, especially in relation to Halo Reach, which sucked all sorts of dick.

However, I do think they dropped the ball with Spartan Ops. How hard would it be to give you a limited number of lives? That's honestly just about all it needs. In it's absence, there's no sense of accomplishment whatsoever.

Shady859

I haven't seen one of these lists in awhile so the first thing that jumped at me is Minecraft, wow! CoD is just a freak of nature and a genre all it's own with 4 games in the top 13 and we talking 2 and 3+ year old games..... I'd say Halo is still #3 in the USA, I assume that's a worldwide list.

Completely aside from this thread. I got my copies of World at War and CoD4 back from a friend today. He said they were patched online and hacker free pretty much so I jumped online earlier and played awhile hopped around and had zero trouble finding full lobbies. Wonder where those rank, I know CoD4 is still loved by many as it changed the gaming world love it or hate it.

clav

I really enjoy the multiplayer, especially in relation to Halo Reach, which sucked all sorts of dick.

However, I do think they dropped the ball with Spartan Ops. How hard would it be to give you a limited number of lives? That's honestly just about all it needs. In it's absence, there's no sense of accomplishment whatsoever.

Yeah Spartan Ops feels like a game of Halo characters in a bad MMORPG.

CRIMSON KILL THESE THINGS

GO TO PELICAN

I'd love to see limited lives too, but looking at how Reach firefight was set up I'm sure 343 would still fall on the side of being too generous, especially since the encounters don't seem to scale to the number of players and the way respawns are implemented, trying to solo some missions is an exercise in frustration and patience.

I'd love to see some kind of bonus score and XP for making it through a mission without dying, and a lower bonus for making it through in say less than 3 lives.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I went back and played Halo 3. It's better. But if you like 4, hell, you like it. It's prettier, has cooler guns and has sprint. The maps are as bad or worse than Reach's, in my opinion. They feel like they were designed without even taking gameplay into consideration. Plus they tried to push big team which was a huge mistake...in my opinion.

all fair enough, I was more calling out the poster that called it an 'utter disgrace to the franchise'

spoiled whining like that just really pisses me off.

My opinion, it's pretty good and 'seems like halo' I can't keep going nuts for it, because I've played halo years and years now, it's a lot of fun and the multi issues that some hardcore fans take issue with, I don't get it.

Science fiction games are not that popular anymore. People like contemporary more now.

I really feel like this is actually more of the issue with regards to the ongoing community. I'd be surprised if they make halo 5 perfect in every way and it starts outpacing the online communities of the more realistic shooters. Which annoys me, I hate realism in videogames, we have reality for that.

Seance

Banned
Not surprising, multiplayer is pretty fucking awful. In fact Spartan Ops is just as bad, Campaign is sort of meh.

Omega

Banned
all fair enough, I was more calling out the poster that called it an 'utter disgrace to the franchise'

spoiled whining like that just really pisses me off.

My opinion, it's pretty good and 'seems like halo' I can't keep going nuts for it, because I've played halo years and years now, it's a lot of fun and the multi issues that some hardcore fans take issue with, I don't get it.

maybe it's spoiled whining because you have no idea what you're talking about?

This isn't Halo. Just because it has the name slapped on it doesn't mean anything. This is nothing more than Call of Duty: Space

Only way this would seem like Halo is if your only experience with Halo was Reach.

this is what happens when you start to codify the formula. You took away the aspects which kept halo unique in the sea of "upgrade" and "time sink" and "microtransaction" shooters.

Halo prior to halo 3, was the closest thing to an arena shooter on consoles. Then you started adding equipment, an okay change, making the playing field a bit more dynamic, but at least everything was still even, an arena, same starting weapons, and the equipment positions were balanced or at least easy to balance if need be. Then you removed the equipment and started giving it to everyone, now the balance is all messed up, no more consistency in the game. Players with one armor ability were winning out against others based entirely on the ability match up, but at least you still had weapons on the map. A good shot still beat out a poor shot with a better ability. In halo 4, you get rid of the weapons, give players streaks, and each players not only abilities, but perks, and their own weapon choices? Now how do you plan to keep that balanced? If a game sin't balanced, then there's no skill required, it becomes a mindless grind fest to get some shitty new level, some upgrade, some new this. Fuck that noise, I like my multiplayer competitive, I quit tf2 for the same reason, and WOW, seems like I'm stuck on moba games till something interesting comes along again. Where the better player is the one with the skill and not the more time played, or because they're the flavour of the week/month.

MS killed halo when they forced bungie to start codifying the MP, by doing so they killed the competitive and balanced nature of the game. They turned it from the game which everyone cloned to just another clone itself.

Also, the netcode has been garbage for me, and the maps are just boring because there's no strategy. I miss the firefights in pit because of rockets or sword, or invis. That powerweapon placement made the game so much more strategic and interesting. (at least reach had the koth version of invasion slayer, shit was fantastic, actually that whole gametype was fantastic, i wish it was back, reminded me of CS, back when CS wasn't source based)

TheOddOne

It's a disgrace to the franchise and Bungie,not surprised.

This is Halo,did you forget how huge it used to be? Dam standards are that low now?!

Yet COD still is the top dog and people continue to play it. it has to be something else...

He is right,it really is a terrible game if you like Halo.

Actually it thought Reach was decent, halo 4 is crap and a disgrace like i said before. It feels uninspired and nothing like Halo.

it did not outsell the other halo games,it was day 1. In a month even reach sold more.

Very compelling argument.

Not expected at all. Halo 2 was number 1 even over gears. No excuses on it being their first game,all they needed to do was make a halo game,instead they made a cod game.

Halo 4 is garbage. It is not on the level of Halo 2 or 3/reach at any point. Not even counting the COD elements added, they also had glitches where you can hide in walls or go to places you aren't suppose to go. It truly is a disgrace,feels like it has no soul.

I know,i was that disappointed. I can't stress it enough.

MW3 will be ahead in a month or so. Wouldn't be surprised to see it number 8 by the fall.fifa was always popular and never ahead. Also reach lasted longer with the same fifa and cod out yearly.
Yet you can't even understand why I called you out in the HaloGAF thread. You do this on a weekly basis now.

Kujo

80% of my games are against players from other continents, giving me at least a 300 or so ping, many times far more due to bad hosts. The objective numbers can get really low, like >500. That's why population matters, well that and local search. Forgot to copy that from CoD I guess

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
80% of my games are against players from other continents, giving me at least a 300 or so ping, many times far more due to bad hosts. The objective numbers can get really low, like >500. That's why population matters, well that and local search. Forgot to copy that from CoD I guess

My biggest issue also. Halo sucks at finding me Australians to play with. Even at launch with hundreds of thousands of players online, it can't do it.

You can jump in the least popular CoD playlist and find a good connection in seconds.

Killer

Banned
They call it....Failo.

I absolutely lost interest in this franchise after this game. Congrats 343 for shitting on this beloved franchise. Keep doing what you do best, outsourcing/ignoring fans.

Honestly this is just sad but it speaks to the quality of the game 343 made. I wish 343 would just listen to the community. We have been complaining about a lot of these issues since 2010.

NBtoaster

It's a good, well polished game. Better than CE and 2 IMO.

Some things could have been done better, like equipment/vehicles not disappearing, more things to make loadouts interesting and toning down the bloom. But it's still pretty great, when I played, and yes, it's still a Halo game.

wulfstein

Neo Member
Haven't played in a while... did they finally put FFA slayer playlist or is it still that regicide BS? No team doubles either :(

Yet you can't even understand why I called you out in the HaloGAF thread. You do this on a weekly basis now.

he really doesn't like halo. goodness.

regarding this topic, I'm not that surprised. all good things must one day come to an end. I hope for microsoft's sake, they have a good number of new IPs lined up for durango.

actually, this might be the perfect time to reboot perfect dark. give halo a rest for a few years. release anniversary 2 and then put the series on the backburner for a couple of years and focus on some new IPs / rebooting some of that massive back catalogue of games.

crackdown 3 would be nice, with a fully fleshed out competitive multplayer mode. hint, hint.

Yeah Halo 4 was a pretty big disappointment for me and my friends. 3 and Reach lasted a lot longer for us before people started moving on. It might be just because we're a bit older now, not as much free time.

Ah well. Singleplayer also doesn't really do much for me. Never really cared about MC, and making him into some destined galactic savior makes me care even less. I liked Reach.

Hopefully Destiny will be better than this.

Monocle

This isn't Halo's death knell or anything. However, 343 has damaged the franchise with questionable design choices.

The new Spartan Ops missions coming next week will bring it back up for a while.
I am sure a small contingent of masochists are hiking up their drawers and tightening their codpieces in anticipation.

This isn't Halo, This is nothing more than Call of Duty: Space
Not even fucking close.

I can see where he's coming from. Once you introduce customizable loadouts weapon unlocks and perks its more or less CoD:Space Marine.

Halo was at its best with Halo 2 MP. Arena everyone starts with the same weapons and then they fight over the power weapons, simple but easily balanced and fun. by aping CoD, H4 is a complete departure from what made the franchise popular in the first place.

Is it a good game? Sure. Is it Halo mmm not really.

Up until this title the entire series' multiplayer has been focused around the control of power weapons and equipment. With that gone it feels like Halo has lost its identity, trying to be something it isn't. It just doesn't feel like Halo to me anymore.

At least it's better then the steaming pile called Reach.
See if we coulda gotten Reach's MP with sprint as a standard for all and remove all the other armor abilities completely and and play with the adjusted bloom(or zero bloom) that would've been best halo experience IMO.

As soon as 343 decided to go with custom loadouts and weapon unlocks it ceased being Halo MP and became a shitty bastardization.

I played hundreds of hours of halo 2, halo 3 and halo reach and loved them, but halo 4 just didn't click with me. I felt that its main story and campaign was just awful and the multiplayer just didn't feel like halo to me anymore. My mp rank is around 27 and i have no urge to go back to it.

monome

I'm ok with Halo 4.
Seriously.

what I don't like anymore is the SP + MP+ MP DLC thing.

I'd rather have a more compact offering. Or something akin to a MMO.
Reach, then Halo 4, have failed to make their map packs relevant to the community.

I'm better off with 3 maps with a lot of fun and people rather than a shit town of deserted playlists.

NBtoaster

I can see where he's coming from. Once you introduce customizable loadouts weapon unlocks and perks its more or less CoD:Space Marine.

No. Gameplay is what counts. COD doesn't have vehicles, open maps, shields, armor abilities or anything resembling half the weapons in the game.

It doesn't play like COD.

No. Gameplay is what counts. COD doesn't have vehicles, open maps, shields, armor abilities or anything resembling half the weapons in the game.

It doesn't play like COD.
Gameplay is much more like CoD than Halo.

Armor abilities are the same as perks. And with the way the shields feel now it feel like core CoD. It take much less effort and skill to fell your oponent in 4 than previous entries. It's far more twitch oriented.

With this iteration of the franchise 343 has moved furthest from what made it successful to begin with and Halo 4 feels empty and shallow because of it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm ok with Halo 4.
Seriously.

what I don't like anymore is the SP + MP+ MP DLC thing.

I'd rather have a more compact offering. Or something akin to a MMO.
Reach, then Halo 4, have failed to make their map packs relevant to the community.

I'm better off with 3 maps with a lot of fun and people rather than a shit town of deserted playlists.

Yeah, this is kinda what I came to say. I bought DLC for the past few games and it's such a waste. The hoppers had 1-2000 people in them and that's it. I think there are naps I bought for Reach that I never even got to play on. MP DLC is just the worst, there is no way to make it work fairly other than having them be free and compulsory. Which would never happen.

But contrary to most people in this thread, I really enjoyed my time with Halo 4. I've just moved on to other stuff, it happens. I think that releasing Halo so close to CoD is always a mistake and it happens every year. Halo is a month early, has a lot of players, CoD comes out and decimates the population. They should try to release early in the year to give the community time to get into the game before they inevitably leave for the Next Big Thing.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I'm in the same boat. Gave my copy away this weekend, after not playing it for six weeks.

I felt they shoehorned in a long list of ideas that were incompatible with Halo, many of which you listed. The result was just a mess. As someone from the community thread put it, 343 is losing a lot of Halo fans by chasing a market they'll never take.

And I strongly disliked the campaign, and had no desire to play it again once I completed it, a first in the series. Let's not talk about Spartan Ops. 343 will need to really pull back off the path they put the series on to get me interested again.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop further, the decline in that Halocharts graph is pretty steady. This week is its lowest to date.

I hear ya.

Wow. Sad to see so many from Halo GAF come out with these kinds of stories :/

halo lately is "powerful, but not what it used to be".

This is the case for all 1st party games imo. You must be multiplat like COD to dominate now.

And I strongly disliked the campaign, and had no desire to play it again once I completed it, a first in the series.

i tend to agree. though i hated halo 2 and 3 so it's not a first.

Gameplay is much more like CoD than Halo.

Armor abilities are the same as perks. And with the way the shields feel now it feel like core CoD. It take much less effort and skill to fell your oponent in 4 than previous entries. It's far more twitch oriented.

With this iteration of the franchise 343 has moved furthest from what made it successful to begin with and Halo 4 feels empty and shallow because of it.

Not to mention the introduction of hit markers and kill streaks (the orbital resupply or whatever it's called)

TUROK

Reach is still much better than Halo 4. At least in Reach I didn't have to deal with shitty hosts every few matches, didn't have to deal with teams whoring the ordnance drops to get a shitload of sniper rifles, and didn't have to deal with matches becoming a DMR fest.

fawaz

Banned
As a long time halo fan, reach killed halo for me, but I still had faith that 4 would save the franchise. It didn't. It actually made me appreciate reach, and that says a lot.

I am done with halo. The only thing that might interest me is the inevitable halo 2 remake.

ZeroAlpha

Banned
Honest question : Do you think a Halo game like before (2 or 3) would stand a chance against CoD nowadays ?

Halo 3 and Reach didn't but who knows really.

I was bummed out when games like Quake 3 and UT were no longer popular...

I think if a new Quake or UT or hell even Halo came out that were exactly like the old games with updated graphics it wont bring in huge numbers, I wanna see Halo 1 MP return in a modern form just to see if it pulls in the numbers people always claim it would.

I loved Halo 1/2/3 MP and i was ok with Reach MP but i much prefer Halo 4 to Reach, i think at some point you just have to accept change.

Edit: Not to say that you have to accept BAD change but at least be open minded.

acm2000

look at the games above it.... how is 4th even surprising

fifa even sells in USA now
cod is, well, cod
minecraft fad is still selling crazy numbers on xbla

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't recall seeing FIFA charting top 3 in any other year. Is this FIFA game any different than the rest?

yes, in that its sell by the bucket load even in USA, no exact figures, but we know its over 1.3m by npd results

Hindle

Banned
It all depends on what MS do with the series. It's clear Halo 4 has split the fan base, so I'd say they should release Halo 5 in 2015 or hell even 2016. Let people start to miss the series a bit basically.

Edit: It should still get to 7m in total sales.

Top Bottom