• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES Oculus Rift Reactions

Box

So I've just heard of this now and all I've seen is the video, but.....

Playing an FPS with this would be tricky wouldn't it? This seems really great for slower-paced games where you're able to enjoy looking around, but for an FPS, you'd end up aiming with your head, right? I can't imagine that would be very easy or comfortable.

Also, I wonder how this handles menus. It's hard to know, but I imagine that might feel jarring if suddenly you're presented with a flat image where your head stopped allowing you to look around. Would it require 3D menus?

I just don't know how well current games would really adapt to something like this. Some of the differences might be minor or subltle, but I imagine that only games built for this device would really feel right.

Granted, this is my opinion after just barely getting an idea of what this thing does. I doubt anyone will really know how these games work until they try them.

Edit: Ah, you know what would be great for this is Minecraft. Well, maybe not Minecraft itself because it's ugly and slow as hell, but something like that. There aren't many menus and most of the game is spent looking around. Furthermore, the aiming doesn't need to be precise.

PewPewK

Is there any way to tell where you were order # wise in the Kickstarter campaign? I don't think there is, but I'm curious to see how long it was before I pledged.

Since we're talking about solutions to further increase the VR, I'll raise another issue. I remember people saying OR plus a motion controller would make an amazing lightsaber game, or any melee game really. But how would that handle collisions? You swing your saber at Vader and he blocks it, through the OR you see your saber come to an abrupt stop but you feel your arms carry forward, and now your in game hands/saber are out of sync with your real life counterparts.

Vesper73

Since we're talking about solutions to further increase the VR, I'll raise another issue. I remember people saying OR plus a motion controller would make an amazing lightsaber game, or any melee game really. But how would that handle collisions? You swing your saber at Vader and he blocks it, through the OR you see your saber come to an abrupt stop but through you feel your arms carry forward, and now your in game hands/saber are out of sync with your real life counterparts.

I've thought about this as well. I think this is just something your brain will adjust to. After a while, this will be a non issue. The fact that we already deal with this in Wii games is proof of this.

I'm not usually one to feel self-conscious about what I look like when I'm having fun, but I would never do this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vcGqha6xJ0#t=0m37s

Marching in place is no more natural than pushing a thumbstick, and would be hella less accurate and responsive. All physical real-world movements need to translate 1:1 in-game in order for VR to feel good.

That's because motion controls are fucking stupid. They are fucking stupid using kinect, they are fucking stupid using the move, they are fucking stupid using the wii mote.

This thing just tracks head movement and hopefully even that can be disabled. What a kinect type device together with the Rift can help with is for fine controls. Opening a door or using a keypad or keyboard. maybe even moving object around. Never ever ever will any of this motion bullshit work for controlling a game.

The reason that kinect might work well with the Rift for things like keypads and things like that is because of the scale you would experience in a first person game. Built around the Rift scale should be correct. When you see someone move through a doorway now on your 42 inch tv all you see is a character that is looks roughly 6 inches tall move through a doorway that looks 10 inches tall. With the Rift you will feel however tall the charcter is made to feel and the doorway passes right over your head. You have the right scale and proper positioning in game to make to be able to use a keypad with the same motions and at the same scale of real life. it makes it much easier for those types of simple movement to feel exactly as they should.

I'm just gonna quote Gabe Newell on the motion control stuff:

Gabe Newell said:
We’ve struggled for a long time to try to think of ways to use motion input and we really haven’t [found any]. Wii Sports is still kind of the pinnacle of that. We look at that, and for us at least, as a games developer, we can’t see how it makes games fundamentally better.

[...]

Motion just seems to be a way of [thinking] of your body as a set of communication channels. Your hands, and your wrist muscles, and your fingers are actually your highest bandwidth — so to trying to talk to a game with your arms is essentially saying "oh we’re going to stop using ethernet and go back to 300 baud dial-up." Maybe there are other ways to think of that. There’s more engagement when you’re using larger skeletal muscles, but whenever we go down [that path] we sort of come away unconvinced.

I like this thing.... cautiously.... call me old school but I'd rather have a professional monitor and be aware of my surroundings.

That said I still remember those shitty VR hang glider demos they had set up in malls in the nineties and that only makes me want this thing lol.

It would be ridiculous stoned rofl...

Obligatory: If you die in Oculus Rift, do you die in the real world? The body cannot live without the mind.

Zaptruder

Banned
I feel like that'll just veer into some uncanny valley of ambulation. My brain can easily tell the difference between walking in place and real walking, so it's not going to feel natural. It's the same kind of thing they're battling with the head tracking: the closer it is to reality, the easier it is to notice small inconsistencies. But unlike head tracking, body tracking (+ feedback) is a technical and logistical nightmare to get "perfect" (or anywhere close). It's just way further off.

And even a perfect system just plain breaks down in a lot of cases. Any third-person game for example. Or something like Skyrim: my character gets on a horse, but I've now transitioned from walking to just standing while my character rides around. I still need to "drive" with a controller. My character jumps in the water; now he's swimming, but I'm flailing my arms around in the air?

It's the same kind of stuff that sucks on the Wii and Kinect, and those can get away with it a bit more because they aren't pretending to simulate reality.

Yep. I'm not usually one to make the "perfection or not at all" demand, but this is one case where I think it holds true.

I think not. But at least for now, we'll just have to agree to disagree. When the Rift is out, we can (or we'll see) experiment with Kinect/Leap and OR and see what can be done in that regard.

But if imagination + simulation in the form of closing your eyes and walking on the spot... is any indication of the immersive quality of 'walking on the spot', then it shouldn't fair too badly.

It's certainly not as immersive as actually walking, but it's far closer to that then standing/sitting and pushing up on the thumb stick.

If there is any nuance to it though, I think the movement of your body needs to be closely synced to the movement of your avatar. That is - you move your left leg up and hold, your avatar needs to hold his leg up and hold. You put your foot down, your avatar needs to put their foot down.

Your body's up and down gait needs to match the up and down gait of the camera (but actually that should be the easy part; because the camera is controlled by your head, which is controlled by your body's natural oscillation, meaning that indeed the camera does bob up and down as you stomp up and down on the spot).

Similarly, as you put your foot down and pick it up again, your forward velocity needs to cycle in a manner similar to how it would move if you were actually moving forward.

Zaptruder

Banned

This quote isn't in the context of VR experiments, but rather just their own exploration of motion controls in the context of current gaming paradigms.

3D motion controls in a 2D display (even pseudo 3D as stereoscopy is) is lackluster. 2D controls in a 3D environment is also lackluster.

In VR, you'd want to be able to reach into the Z depth. I just can't see how you'd do that well without motion controls.

This quote isn't in the context of VR experiments, but rather just their own exploration of motion controls in the context of current gaming paradigms.

3D motion controls in a 2D display (even pseudo 3D as stereoscopy is) is lackluster. 2D controls in a 3D environment is also lackluster.

In VR, you'd want to be able to reach into the Z depth. I just can't see how you'd do that well without motion controls.
Also Gabe Newell is actually in the video on OR's website supporting it.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
This thing has killed all my interest in Wii U/NEXT XBOX/PS4....Upgrading my PC and waiting for this and Nvidia shield

cakefoo

I feel sorry for people that are so self conscious that they would EVER sacrifice experience for image, but that's just me. Let go Luke!
That's the thing-- I don't have to sacrifice experience. There's nothing natural or desirable about marching in place to walk forward in an adventure game when I could use an analog thumbstick and have full control over the direction and speed of my movement, without getting tired after 30 seconds.

That's the thing-- I don't have to sacrifice experience. There's nothing natural or desirable about marching in place to walk forward in an adventure game when I could use an analog thumbstick and have full control over the direction and speed of my movement, without getting tired after 30 seconds.

Using separate controllable features that meld with a human's natural inherit ability is essentially endowing oneself with virtual android terminator abilities.

cakefoo

Using separate controllable features that meld with a human's natural inherit ability is essentially endowing oneself with virtual android terminator abilities.
But there are some controller methods that are being imagined by Kinect kiddies just for the sake of it, and it's really naive.

Have they mentioned if the consumer model will be using OLED screens? it seems like as important as low latency on this device is that they wouldnt even bother using a tech like LCD with inherent latency issues

Pikelet

So many misconceptions floating around this thread!

But I wear glasses!
You can wear glasses with this device.

I don't want to aim with my head!
All the demos that I have seen thus far have allowed you to use a controller for movement and aiming as normal.

Another Virtual Boy? I'm not falling for that again!
The motion tracking and level of fidelity in both the resolution and field of view make this a qualitatively different experience than all that 90's bullshit. This one should be obvious.

But what about third person games?
There are multiple ways of implementing OR support for third person games, with most of them having the controller function as normal and the headset acting as a kind of supplemental camera control. Furthermore you also get the benefits of 3D, minus the drawbacks that are present in current 3D technology.

This needs to be on consoles.
I agree! However, along with simply allowing for the device to be recognised, the games need to be at 60fps with vsync switched on in order for the 3d effect to function correctly. In other words, there are quite a few hurdles in the way of making this a reality.

This needs software support for it to be viable.
Correct. Currently there are big names (Carmack, Newell etc.) expressing interest, as well as support for both the Unity and Unreal engines. Furthermore, I'd be very surprised if the hacker community doesn't figure out a way to implement support for most popular games where it makes sense.

But there are some controller methods that are being imagined by Kinect kiddies just for the sake of it, and it's really naive.

Kinect is shit (Opener of the year), in its current state. It has both slow processing speed and a low resolution camera (240P). Though, the awesome thing about a 3D camera like Kinect is its ability to measure depth (With lasers). If Kinect 2 were to release with a higher resolution camera, much much higher processing speed, and a mounted background sensor bar (or whatever) that can capture the rear of the user to assist in sensing the unexpected behavior of humans, like putting your hand behind your back then I would look at Kinect as a meaningful controller that could be used for depth and limb tracking.

It would be possible for a combination of controller, kinect, and Oculus Rift that could indeed improve upon an already solid device.

PewPewK

Have they mentioned if the consumer model will be using OLED screens? it seems like as important as low latency on this device is that they wouldnt even bother using a tech like LCD with inherent latency issues

They have not, probably because nothing is set in stone yet. It will likely be some time before we know what screen they're going to use, but they are in talks with a number of companies that they cannot name to deliver the display technology in the consumer version.

You can't. Combining Oculus Rift with a PSmove/Razer Hydra like controllers would be ideal.

Imagine O.Rift + WoW?!

GOD.LIKE.

Actually World of Warcraft works pretty well in stereo 3D because blizzard officially supported Nvidias 3D vision solution. All the UI stuff has correct depth values and for the most part the graphics are satisfactory.

The only real issue for getting WoW to work would be intigrating the head and neck modeling.

This makes me wonder if all the 3D vision stuff could be made to work in harmony with whatever software the rift is going to come with. Even if its just the basic stereoscopic 3D without the head tracking. It would certainly help pass the time while we wait for more games to support the rift.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Since we're talking about solutions to further increase the VR, I'll raise another issue. I remember people saying OR plus a motion controller would make an amazing lightsaber game, or any melee game really. But how would that handle collisions? You swing your saber at Vader and he blocks it, through the OR you see your saber come to an abrupt stop but you feel your arms carry forward, and now your in game hands/saber are out of sync with your real life counterparts.
Thought about this a lot. I think instead of stopping the attack they'd just deflect is so that you can continue your motion and no damage is done, but they're pushed back instead. To prevent flail-fu, maybe have a meter that drains with excessive movement so even if you do connect with a quick but weak attack,you minimal damage.

Or have a button that you constantly hold for blocking (holding the button uses blocking and deflecting animations) and holding this charges your attack. Switching it up and holding another button uses attack animations that drain.

I just want to minimize flail-fu.... :(

syko de4d

Some new Press Reactions:

http://icrontic.com/article/oculus-...iver-on-the-promise-of-virtual-reality-gaming

"My moment of realization came when, during the demonstration, I audibly apologized to a virtual knight I had bumped into."
just lol xD

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6625/the-anandtech-podcast-episode-14

is a podcast about CES, OR starts at 26min

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/49118/oculus-vr-virtual-reality-headset-preview

That's promising, very promising indeed.

And here a Sony HMZ Review which Turns into a oculus Rift preview xD

http://business.financialpost.com/2...-visor-could-be-the-next-big-thing-in-gaming/

plainr_

This would be so amazing.

inS7TlNPVzaTl.gif

+ the oculus rift.

Or if that isn't enough for you:

EqdyZ.gif

Drazgul

Or if that isn't enough for you:

http://i.imgur.com/EqdyZ.gif

I'd hate to see what that contraption does if you drive on a bumpy road.

This needs to be on consoles.
I agree! However, along with simply allowing for the device to be recognised, the games need to be at 60fps with vsync switched on in order for the 3d effect to function correctly. In other words, there are quite a few hurdles in the way of making this a reality.

Wait, so if there's a momentary dip in fps, it'll mess things up? Because in some games that is guaranteed to happen no matter what kind of a monster rig you have, it's just how they are.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wait, so if there's a momentary dip in fps, it'll mess things up? Because in some games that is guaranteed to happen no matter what kind of a monster rig you have, it's just how they are.

Well, it won't mess anything up, but it will completely break your immersion.

Now, I have some good and bad news regarding the Rift after watching one of Carmack's videos. He says that if you leave the GPU to its own devices, it basically buffers 1-2 frames to increase benchmark scores, which results in input lag. I have a feeling this is what causes input lag in a lot of games I play. Now, he overrides this to get low input lag to best interface with the Rift, but I have a feeling many developers may not do so. While input lag only bothers some of us at the moment, it's going to be much more noticeable for others with the Rift. I have a feeling a lot of early games will not play very nicely with the Rift thanks to this input lag. Hopefully this pushes developers to prioritize low input lag when developing their engines.

Rift could solve the deadzone issue

It could extremely easily do that, and what's more is that if you're fine using your eyes/head to aim, then the whole of the Hydra can be for gestures, instead of only sticking them on the left 'chuck to avoid screwing up aim. I'm looking forward to this.

Well, it won't mess anything up, but it will completely break your immersion.

Now, I have some good and bad news regarding the Rift after watching one of Carmack's videos. He says that if you leave the GPU to its own devices, it basically buffers 1-2 frames to increase benchmark scores, which results in input lag. I have a feeling this is what causes input lag in a lot of games I play. Now, he overrides this to get low input lag to best interface with the Rift, but I have a feeling many developers may not do so. While input lag only bothers some of us at the moment, it's going to be much more noticeable for others with the Rift. I have a feeling a lot of early games will not play very nicely with the Rift thanks to this input lag. Hopefully this pushes developers to prioritize low input lag when developing their engines.

I believe what he is talking about is VSync/Triple Buffering, which would be the 2 or 3 frame hold. Turn that off and you're golden, if you've got the PC that can run stable 60 and not tear.

I'd hate to see what that contraption does if you drive on a bumpy road.

It's something Carmack's mentioned. 30fps and 60fps are distinguishable no matter what, but 60fps and 120fps is indistinguishable if you're using a controller and only perceptible if you're using a mouse, because it's based on your expectations of responsiveness. It seems like Oculus believes that 60fps with vsync with under 30ms of latency is the minimum bar for believable VR, so people might want to run rift games at even higher framerates than 60.

I hope Oculus doesn't force on Vsync. My PC rarely tears, and as such I never leave it on. As a result, I've come to be able to notice the feel of when Vsync is on, and it throws me off. T-T As for 120hz, do you think they'll push for 120 on the consumer model? Or maybe one of its successors? I doubt that a majority of computers will be able to push significantly past 60FPS with this thing, so I don't think it'd be on the first model, but if someone else has another thought I'd like to hear it.

A thought. Though most of the focus is rightfully on the graphical side, games that want to best support this could require some alternate audio modes. As is now in games, if you change the angle of viewing, the sounds coming out of different speakers will change with it. But if I'm standing in the same place and just move my head left, what's coming out of the right/left/center/surrounds shouldn't change. However, if using headphones the old way will be appropriate, since the speakers are moving with your head.

Also, I have some doubts Skyrim will work very well without massive changes. Even with a plain 3D screen the combination of left/right images doesn't look right, even with the lighting/shadowing/reflections turned to low settings as NVIDIA suggests.

Mit-

but 60fps and 120fps is indistinguishable if you're using a controller and only perceptible if you're using a mouse, because it's based on your expectations of responsiveness.

Dumb. Wrong.

Even at sixty frames per second, when scrolling your view in circles, you still cannot single out a single small piece of scenery with your eyes (the closer to your character the better--meaning it's moving faster), focus on it, and follow it across the screen without it looking blurry. At 120fps you probably can. I want blurriness to come from my eyes not focusing on something, not the display. Similarly, motion blur can go kill itself. Just give me a high enough framerate that something moves so fast that my eyes actually blur it.

TheExodu5

Banned
I believe what he is talking about is VSync/Triple Buffering, which would be the 2 or 3 frame hold. Turn that off and you're golden, if you've got the PC that can run stable 60 and not tear.

It's definitely more complicated than that, though. I've encountered triple buffered vsynced games that have very low input lag (UE3 games are good for this), and others which have terrible input lag (Source games).

Durante

As for 120hz, do you think they'll push for 120 on the consumer model? Or maybe one of its successors?
Yes, certainly. The first consumer model probably won't have it, but it's the direction later models will invariably go in.

No, he's talking about queuing. But you can usually force that off in the drivers, on NV hardware at least. Unless it's done manually in-engine, but I don't think that's the case often.

Best case for VR is surely correctly implemented triple-buffering with a 100 Hz+ framerate.

Why do you think the technology will work better with VR?

I agree, but I can't see how you'd do it that well with our current motion controls either. They are way too inaccurate.

Sony could easily partner with (or outright buy) the people making Oculus Rift to make out of the box PS4 support for it at launch a reality.

Alternatively, Sony already has it's own VR headset....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmZ-EXZUjro

...though without some of the features Oculus Rift offers that makes the Rift better to use, but there's no reason Sony can't fix those problems and release an upgraded VR headset for the PS4 that is on par with the Rift but at a higher resolution to boot (720p per eye).

If you like this idea, upvote it on the Playstation Blog Share site that Sony developers frequent...

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/08/14/oculus-rift-head-mounted-display/

The Blog Share was how fans managed to get Kevin Butler at the E3 conference last year, so there's no reason they couldn't do something similar with the Oculus Rift this year.

Yes, certainly. The first consumer model probably won't have it, but it's the direction later models will invariably go in.

No, he's talking about queuing. But you can usually force that off in the drivers, on NV hardware at least. Unless it's done manually in-engine, but I don't think that's the case often.

Best case for VR is surely correctly implemented triple-buffering with a 100 Hz+ framerate.
Is that to say I can get my stuff even more responsive by tweaking my drivers? I must look into this! I have an AMD card (6950), but I find that most of those tweaks are available in some form on both vendors so I shall look into this.

Sony could easily partner with (or outright buy) the people making Oculus Rift to make out of the box PS4 support for it at launch a reality.

...though without some of the features Oculus Rift offers that makes the Rift better to use, but there's no reason Sony can't fix those problems and release an upgraded VR headset for the PS4 that is on par with the Rift but at a higher resolution to boot (720p per eye).

If you like this idea, upvote it on the Playstation Blog Share site that Sony developers frequent...

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/08/14/oculus-rift-head-mounted-display/

The Blog Share was how fans managed to get Kevin Butler at the E3 conference last year, so there's no reason they couldn't do something similar with the Oculus Rift this year.

I haevent read the fine print, but I'm pretty sure the nature of the kickstarter has legal obligations that would prevent Oculus Rift from going first party for Sony.

Dumb. Wrong.

Even at sixty frames per second, when scrolling your view in circles, you still cannot single out a single small piece of scenery with your eyes (the closer to your character the better--meaning it's moving faster), focus on it, and follow it across the screen without it looking blurry. At 120fps you probably can. I want blurriness to come from my eyes not focusing on something, not the display. Similarly, motion blur can go kill itself. Just give me a high enough framerate that something moves so fast that my eyes actually blur it.
You don't move fast enough or precise enough to make it a huge difference if you're using a controller, that's Carmack's argument. I don't think he's saying 120fps is not better than 60fps, but the jump isn't as significant as it is from 30 to 60, and console controls is why most console gamers are more receptive towards 30fps.

The Oculus guys did a kickstarter and avoided all kinds of venture capital because they didn't want to work under a large company. I don't think it's a good idea for them to wait to get acquired by a major corporation, I don't see any upside for it if they already have all the funding they need.

beast786

That sony HMZ is NOT a VR, its just a personal regular screen 3D viewer ,ie like watching regular 3D on screen

Top Bottom