• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns Previews and New Trailer | Fall/Autumn 2013 Release

You're such a boner killer.

Why do you have to dash my hopes like that? You're like... my light at the end of the tunnel, that sorta thing.

Only one thing to do now.

7686178464_fdc8ea66c7.jpg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The unpublished video with the new areas was definitely rough looking. Trees looked really flat, lots of environmental effects and details misisng. The wildlands looked like the Taijin area from FFXIII though, at least part of it. Dead Dunes looked like a desert from FFXII.

I also like to have more limitbreaks. I fondly remember FF8's lionheart, zells duel, selphies the end etc. FFX had some cool attacks as well.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
the magical feeling is gone? I think we need the overworld back.

final-fantasy-8-overworld.jpg

ss-368.jpg

This game had one. Everyone told me it wasn't real.

Type 0 had limit breaks for each character through unique skills.

---------------------------------

Kagari I have a question. In what you saw did they show more of the world map? Specifically the desert? The world view concept looked like it has a large bridge and perhaps some sort of canal.

Stark

Banned
The unpublished video with the new areas was definitely rough looking. Trees looked really flat, lots of environmental effects and details misisng. The wildlands looked like the Taijin area from FFXIII though, at least part of it. Dead Dunes looked like a desert from FFXII.

Then its understandable why they didn't release it.

I also like to have more limitbreaks. I fondly remember FF8's lionheart, zells duel, selphies the end etc. FFX had some cool attacks as well.
I am conflicted in this regard. I adore the Job System, but I also like it when each character expresses their personality in battle and also has a concrete specialized purpose in battle. Limit Breaks are all about personality (that's their goal, anyway...) and not so much about specialization, and they tend to go along with games that have little specialization.

FF4, FF9, and FFX are probably the best games as far as specialization is concerned. FF5 and FFX-2 as far as customization is concerned. FF6 and FFX are probably the best as far as expression of personality is concerned (FF6's characters, and FFX's endgame characters, all become pretty identical and can all dish out and take crazy amounts of damage; their in-battle differences are mostly aesthetic, and I don't mean that disparagingly - aesthetics are crucial).

I give limit break-based differentiation (FF7, FF8, and to an extent FFX) low marks because it's aesthetic personality-oriented differentiation, but only actually becomes available every so often in battles.

FFXII and FFXIII tend to have purely aesthetic differentiations that DON'T really jibe with or add to their characters' personalities with regard to summons or special moves; or utility-based differentiations (based on roles and stats) that affect gameplay but not aesthetics. The special moves in those games are largely not the point of whether a given character is useful or not, nor do they speak to their personalities. That's not to say that differentiation doesn't exist, just that the special moves are almost entirely superfluous.

CorvoSol

I swear to God man. You've gotta write that Lightning x Toriyama 500 page book. It'd make me a very happy person.

If I were to invest any time into an FFXIII fan fiction, I would invest it into Super FFXIII.
I don't think I can make a Lightning x Toriyama joke stay funny for 500 pages

Lightning will deliver you unto salvation with her gams.

NO WAY. Dissidia told me that gams were the express territory of Terra Branford.

Actually, the XIII defenders never whine and complain like that. Most of us just try to correct storyline misconceptions and help clarify certain plot points. Also, we have to CONSTANTLY fight back the notion that the game sold less than x-2 that it was a complete bomb, with certain people not even caring to look at the Japanese market. Someone said that we should call XIII-2's sales disappointing and that is a more accurate portrayal of the situation.

You could've fooled me, what with the actual whining and complaining and claiming GAF had jumped the shark for making a joke at Toriyama's expense and calling members delusional for thinking that Square staff has lied when we've just been shown evidence suggesting that hey, they lied.

Personally, I am so tired of all the Toriyama irrational hate just because it is getting borderline fanatical here. We. Know. He.is .not. A. great. Writer. (Emphasis added). We get it. But he is not what is wrong with Final Fantasy. He has his three games to shine and that will be that. The reason Lightning is so shoved down our throats is because he is being asked to clean up the mess his fellow staffers have made.

Well 1) it isn't irrational. This is the guy who with one fell stroke sent Parasite Eve scurrying back to the bowels of hell. His being a terrible writer has everything to do with the amount of hatred he's earned. 2) His bad writing may not be all that is bad with Final Fantasy, but it is a large part of it. Just as Lightning garners extra hatred for being the face of the FNC, which represents to all their disappointment with what has happened to Final Fantasy, Toriyama and his so-crazy-Dr.Suess-can't-figure-them-out plots are the poster for that side of things. I'd love to believe your more positive interpretation, that Toriyama is a nice man covering for his fellow staffers, but it just doesn't mesh well with what we've already learned.

Final Fantasy XIII was horribly mismanaged. I'm not pointing the blame at Toriyama for that, but I'm not awarding him credit for it either. I'm just stating a fact. That the next big installment in their massive cash cow franchise made it all the way to the goddamn demo before they had a concrete idea of how it played strengthens your point: Toriyama is not the only problem at Square Enix. But at the same time, we can't say "Oh no Versus is all Nomura's fault!" since his staff was siphoned away from Versus to help the still-born XIII. Nomura is almost beyond reproach because aside from mobile games, he's basically the only one to get anything done at Square these days. While allowing KH to kind of run off the rails, we mustn't forget that the guy also got 3 KH games and TWEWY out before Type-0 was ever even finished. When we learn the whole story about the hell that is Versus' development, then we can take him to task for everything he messed up. But we also can't say Oh well Tabata screwed up and that's what hurt XIII and why Toriyama is allegedly covering for everyone because the only thing distracting Tabata from Type-0 was PE, which Toriyama was on, too.

Square is messed up to no other. They're not localizing the games that would be good. They're selling crazy nickle and dime ios games, they put out a sequel to Dissidia like, a year after it came out, its taken them 6+ years to get their FNC games out, etcetera etcetera. So yes, Toriyama is not all that is wrong with Final Fantasy. He's undoubtedly not the man to blame for why XIII's gameplay was bad. He's not Wada or whoever.

Does that stop his writing from being a laughingstock? Not for a minute. Should anyone be surprised that fans are upset that this man who killed Parasite Eve, who wrote Mindjack, and who has penned the hilariously bad XIII series gets to write for 3 games while other writers' works aren't even sold outside of Japan? No. Is it only natural for a jaded fanbase to deride Toriyama, just as it once did Nomura? Of course it is.

The Final Fantasy fanbase is made of lots of different people, and what they have in common is a shared love of hating on what other members of the fanbase like. If you don't find it funny, do like the rest and crack wise about some other aspect of the series.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

You were impressed or not, by the size and what could be once finalized? I mean the gameworld of course. It's from 2006 we're not playing an open-world Final Fantasy, so I'm quite interested in the first impressions.

MCD

You guys can always play Lost Odyssey if you want an overworld map.

Have fun with that treasure trove bullshit undersea!

FUCK YOU MISTWALKER

Perfo

You guys can always play Lost Odyssey if you want an overworld map.

That's not even an overworld, more like a 3d background for a menu-based exploration. That game was terrible.

Ah I don't agree. Gameplay is the central pillar, everything else (music, story, graphics, etc.) surround the central pillar as supporting columns. If the gameplay is strong enough, it can eschew everything else and still hold up the game, or a good everything else can support a weak gameplay component also leading to a good game. Ideally everything would be good but those games are very rare.
For me if a story is really good, I will sit through a shit game. Or it has to be so hilariously bad that I am left belly laughing and get my hero killed because i still couldnt believe the cutscene 5 minutes ago. Like ninja gaiden sigma. Different strokes.

Perfo

This on the other hand was the real shit:

I really enjoyed Blue Dragon at that time. Though it aged really bad, I tried to play it again a while ago and it really looks bad. The OST though still rulez like nothing else. It was a funny game overall, now stuck in the past and memories.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I don't remember it.

Then again everything in that game got hazy after
Squall died

You used it to blow a hole in the Lunatic Pandora so you could board it.

Shortly GILGAMESH kicked Seifer's ass with a Wind Slash. Like a boss. And then walked off like one.

And stalked Squall because he looked like Bartz.

Trust me, GILGAMESH is a stalker when it comes to Bartz.

Toth

If I were to invest any time into an FFXIII fan fiction, I would invest it into Super FFXIII.
I don't think I can make a Lightning x Toriyama joke stay funny for 500 pages

NO WAY. Dissidia told me that gams were the express territory of Terra Branford.

You could've fooled me, what with the actual whining and complaining and claiming GAF had jumped the shark for making a joke at Toriyama's expense and calling members delusional for thinking that Square staff has lied when we've just been shown evidence suggesting that hey,

The Final Fantasy fanbase is made of lots of different people, and what they have in common is a shared love of hating on what other members of the fanbase like. If you don't find it funny, do like the rest and crack wise about some other aspect of the series.

I suppose I can consider myself a lucky fan who has loved every FF and enjoys various aspects of each. I take little fun in belittling other people's opinions. What's the point?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I suppose I can consider myself a lucky fan who has loved every FF and enjoys various aspects of each. I take little fun in belittling other people's opinions. What's the point?

Crystal Chronicles?

Spirits Within?
I liked it

Dirge?

Toth

Crystal Chronicles?

Spirits Within?
I liked it

Dirge?

Yup. Enjoyed both CCs and Dirge, which I felt told a good follow up story to 7. The whole Omega Weapon concept and Chaos' true purpose were interesting. Much more interesting than Genesis' LOVELESS stuff.

I liked Spirit Withins honestly. It had the themes of a good FF but lacked cohesion.

Perfo

Yup. Enjoyed both CCs and Dirge, which I felt told a good follow up story to 7. The whole Omega Weapon concept and Chaos' true purpose were interesting. Much more interesting than Genesis' LOVELESS stuff.

I liked Spirit Withins honestly. It had the themes of a good FF but lacked cohesion.

Im with you, I like every entry in this series more or less.

Btw, another aspect that concerns me of LR, maybe the only one is that fucking time counter. The concept it's cool as hell, but I want to explore in relax the gameworld, and it's obvious this could be a problem, so serious that even taking a break and looking at the sunset could be annoying because you're "wasting" time. I appreciate they're trying something original with this... but what are the costs?

CorvoSol

No, no, no. Not their opinions. Just the stuff they like. And not directly as in "Hey Magius I think Gilgamesh is a terrible character WAH HA HA." Just like "UGH I CAN'T STAND THIS STUPID GILGAMESH CHARACTER."

See the difference?

Besides, I've liked all the games in the series I've played. Some less than others. But complaining about things you like or aspects you don't like of things you do like is a pretty normal human action.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Crystal Chronicles was amazing.

Provided you had the hardware and friends.

Here's hoping to a Wii U CC game. Perfect hardware for it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
No, no, no. Not their opinions. Just the stuff they like. And not directly as in "Hey Magius I think Gilgamesh is a terrible character WAH HA HA." Just like "UGH I CAN'T STAND THIS STUPID GILGAMESH CHARACTER."

See the difference?

Besides, I've liked all the games in the series I've played. Some less than others. But complaining about things you like or aspects you don't like of things you do like is a pretty normal human action.

But hey if they say that I can use this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQf-zYn5TJE

"But you have heard of me"

ohlawd

Crystal Chronicles?

Spirits Within?
I liked it

Dirge?

CC is goddamn amazing. If I had friends with a GBA so we could all hit up multiplayer back in the day it'd be my game of the forever. I've done a lot of playthroughs and I'm always a female Selkie because I'd be damned if I'd go 20+ hours a playthrough without seeing jiggle. This game's OST is also my favorite, at least as far as FFs go.

I liked Spirit Within too.

Never played Dirge. I was never interested in the FFVII mythos anyway. At least there's Advent Children and even though the content is crap, at least it's pretty. And I haven't played Crisis Core either.

Goli

the magical feeling is gone? I think we need the overworld back.

final-fantasy-8-overworld.jpg

p77aXWa.png

And re: complaining. Everyone can express their like or dislike towards things but is it really necessary to derail every FF thread into places where things like that Final Fantasy Destruction thing get posted (though I admit I found that particular image extremely funny... but you get my point).

See the difference?

Corvo, you know I tend to agree w/most of what you have to say about XIII etc. but you can't deny that sometimes the criticism gets a little personal around here as well, and I think that's what Toth was responding to and what I was talking about earlier, about both sides being guilty of shit flinging.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Corvo, you know I tend to agree w/most of what you have to say about XIII etc. but you can't deny that sometimes the criticism gets a little personal around here as well, and I think that's what Toth was responding to and what I was talking about earlier, about both sides being guilty of shit flinging.

But you don't lecture the Toriyama Defense Force. ;_;

But you don't lecture the Toriyama Defense Force. ;_;
That's cause Luukyk hasn't gone on any crazy defensive rants yet today, that I've seen. :p I did make reference to that fact that I found Shinta's post to be snide and condescending, but he hasn't come back to the thread to discuss it.

EDIT:

But hey if they say that I can use this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQf-zYn5TJE

"But you have heard of me"
LOL, missed this before. Perfect. Reminds me of the scene in Dissidia 012 where Gilgamesh rages because no one has any idea who he is.

Narolf

Banned
Does "interactive storytelling" mean anything more than story in video games?

Of course it does...

Please look forward to a dramatic story focused on emotions of characters.

Music has been integral to Final Fantasy in conveying, and bringing to life emotions...

It's clear they intended FFXIII to put a better emphasis on the story, and even more so than the previous FF games. Besides, whether the idea came in as a response to the backlash on FFXII, from the Xbox 360's port or out of their sheer "laziness" isn't the matter at hand.

And that's where I put Mother 3 into the equation: both games ultimately use their respective story as their loam, that's where it all starts and that's all what matters at last. No other J-RPGs share the same creative process as those two. However, I may be missing something here, for I don't pretend having experienced everything the genre has to offer.

You seem to have taken a chuckle out of that 30-seconds lasting chapter, while that's exactly a great example that defines the loam I'm referring to. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing FFXIII and Mother 3, rather I'm making a parallel between how both games have been designed. A great part of why FFXIII (and its sequels once I got to play them) places third in my top 3 of the series (after FFVII and FFVIII) is precisely because it reminds me of Mother 3 a whole lot, which is, simply put, the best game I've ever played. Owe you one GAF.

Whoever stated gameplay and story should be equally supported was neither right or wrong, but thinking makes it so. It's a debatable point.

FFXIII ~> 75% story | 25% gameplay
FFXIII-2 ~> 50% story | 50% gameplay
FFXIII-3 ~> 25% story | 75% gameplay

All three games approach XIII's setting differently.

All three games ultimately form a cohesive unit that remains one of the most ambitious projects SE have ever taken upon themselves.

Top Bottom