• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory 4 (US) for Summer 2013

vareon

We have the XSEED announcement thread, but I figured we could discuss Rune Factory here.

Rune Factory 4

Nintendo 3DS, Summer 2013 – The first game in the Rune Factory simulation/role-playing series to be released on the Nintendo 3DS, Rune Factory 4 adds new romance options, the ability to select a male or female character at the game’s start, and has endless crafting, farming and cooking opportunities. The player becomes Selphia’s prince or princess and can manage the village, explore the countryside with townsfolk, or tame monsters in the wild to aid them in battle or help out in the fields.

This will be the first RF I buy after Frontier a few years back. Hyped! Anyone played the JP version? All I know is it's the best selling in the series.

OceanBlue

It's a shame that all of the other announcements were for systems I don't have, but I'm excited for this one! Hopefully it's as good as RF3 or RF:F are.

To be honest, though, I don't really know anything about this game other than that it sold well.

I really didn't like Rune Factory 1, but 2 and 3 were okay. Frontier was okay also.

Not really interested in RF4, but will buy it to support my third favorite JRPG developer. <3<3<3

Zierath

I've only played RF1 and Frontier but I'll definitely get this one. Interesting that XSEED is bring it instead of Natsume, but I'm not complaining about it. It's almost certain to turn out better this way.

I'm pretty excited it's coming over. I haven't played a deep addicting game on my 3DS yet either. I dump so many hours into each RF game I play that I get burnt out and need to take long breaks before I’m ready again. I wonder how much voice acting is in 4 because I really feel it brings the characters to life. This is supposed to be the RF where they worked on the dating aspect of it so it doesn’t feel like you go straight from infatuated friends to husband and wife.

The last one I played was Tides of Destiny last summer. It makes me sad that a lot of fans of the series skipped over ToD because it was one of the best in the series. The impression I pulled away from GAF members was after Siliconera posted an article saying Farming was downplayed, many people were turned off. Yes, it was different than manually planting each and every crop, but after a few hours I come to appreciate the way it worked and by the end I loved it. Regardless, farming is only a fraction of what makes this series great and all the other aspects of it were spot on. I’d check it out if you haven’t already.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Its too bad the characters in 4 pale in comparison to the varied lot in 3. It was one of the reasons why I got bored with playing 4 and quit.

Noi

ToD had a few dumb quirks, but it was still great.

RFF, you should go claim the OT for RF4 before someone else does!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Surprised Natsume isn't handling this. Looks like they're finally separating the portable series from Harvest Moon too as a result. It's a good thing at the end of the day I guess, XSEED is bound to do a better job localizing it.

This isn't all that exciting, is it? Wasn't this a first gen 3DS game that was essentially ported over from the DS? I heard the 3D effect is poorly done too, because backgrounds are prerendered and 3D stuff looks like a pop up book, as if the building fronts are printed on pieces of paper.

Tide of Destiny was terrible. Not sure if this is any good.
What didn't you like about it?

I got sucked into ToD's world and characters probably more than I did any other RF game. It also really satisfied my min/max obsessions by late game and was fun to platinum trophy.
RFF, you should go claim the OT for RF4 before someone else does!
Do we have a new sign up system for OTs? I don't mind doing it. I didn't step up to make one for RF3 because I busy and knew I wasn't going to be there day one.

vareon

This isn't all that exciting, is it? Wasn't this a first gen 3DS game that was essentially ported over from the DS? I heard the 3D effect is poorly done too, because backgrounds are prerendered and 3D stuff looks like a pop up book, as if the building fronts are printed on pieces of paper.

Never heard such a thing. Maybe you meant Harvest Moon: A Tale of Two Towns, which was on both DS and 3DS? RF4 was released summer last year.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I wouldn't expect it to be a graphical stand out, or make the most amazing use of 3D. That doesn't take anything away from what Rune Factory games offer though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM2ooSUlrRU

One SLIGHT concern is the potential brand inconsistency, I mean if XSEED do 4, but then Natsume do the inevitable 5 and 6, that's kinda odd. Will XSEED stay committed to the series going forward?

Natsume doing 1 2 and 3 were fine, three DS games in a set, but now will XSEED do 4 5 and 6 in a new set? :p

Meier

YAY! I loved Rune Factory Frontier but didn't finish it.. as was the case with just about every Wii title. Should be perfect for me to play on a handheld though. I didn't play the Oceans game or whatever it was called.. planned to but just didn't get around to it. I rarely touch my PS3 either so that didn't help.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
YAY! I loved Rune Factory Frontier but didn't finish it.. as was the case with just about every Wii title. Should be perfect for me to play on a handheld though. I didn't play the Oceans game or whatever it was called.. planned to but just didn't get around to it. I rarely touch my PS3 either so that didn't help.

I loved Frontier, but the Runey system drove me insane, even though I understood it. It drove my OCD crazy and I could never really play the game comfortably. I only briefly touched Oceans, but apparently it's removed / improved in that game. I'm sure RF4 will be great, just like 3 though.

Iph

Banned
What didn't you like about it?

I got sucked into ToD's world and characters probably more than I did any other RF game. It also really satisfied my min/max obsessions by late game and was fun to platinum trophy.
Do we have a new sign up system for OTs? I don't mind doing it. I didn't step up to make one for RF3 because I busy and knew I wasn't going to be there day one.

To be honest, I am a very long time HM fan and liked the first 2 Rune Factory handheld games. I was excited for a Rune Factory on the PS3, picked it up (ToD) not long after release and was just... not interested in it at all. I traded it in. Maybe the premise and characters irritated me, I don't know. Maybe the game was too slow to start. Maybe it looked pretty but I felt it didn't have the charm/depth of the handheld RF's. I was surprised at how much I didn't like it at all. Maybe I really am more of a HM/handheld RF fan.

jackal27

Banned
GOD I am so hype for this. I picked up Rune Factory 3 last year on a whim and it turned out to be one of my top 10 favorite DS games ever. I cannot wait for this.

Zenaku

I bought the digital version from the Japanese eShop last week, and it's amazing. Anyone who enjoyed RF3 should love this game.

Top Bottom