• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game fonts: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

NichM

Banned
Etrian Odyssey IV's font looks cool, but I's was completely terrible (is it the default DS font?). Sorry NichM
tumblr_ma3oxtb5TJ1rsr0nv.png

It is... not the default font, no... ;_;

(Haha, no apology necessary. I can own up to how bad it is.)

Platy

Really enjoyed the combat font in FFXII, crisp and clean:

I recall Pokemon Sapphire/Ruby having a particularly bad font:
7Qg9XGY.jpg

POKéMON

This is something that ALWAYS KILLS ME !!!

If THE NAME OF YOUR GAME has an "´" why not make a font that acepts capslocked ponctuation like this one ???

Aeana

You love the constant confusion of "font" and "typeface"?

You can attribute that to the computer age, really. At this point, the two are synonymous for the majority of people. I personally know the difference very well, and yet I still find myself using them interchangeably (as I already have in this thread), just because it's what other people are doing. For people who want to be able to keep the difference straight in their head, though, just think of fonts as MP3s and typefaces as songs or something along those lines.

Manu

Fonts in Valkyrie Profile 2 look very good, just like the rest of the game.

valkyrie-profile-2-silmeria-ps2-2.jpg

Best looking game in PS2 along with GoW II.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
This is coming from a graphic designer, I just want to say I LOVE this thread.

You're a graphic designer and you go by Helvetica Bold? I hope it's some irony.

But on topic, I think some of the typefaces mentioned work well with games. San Serif fonts, while not the prettiest to look at, do make games a lot easier to read, which at the end of the day is the main focus of the typeface. If you can get one that helps fit the design of the game AND work on a high functioning level, then that is where we have a wonderful use of typography.

I love the "adventure game" font that a lot of Japanese games use:

DP-Branching-Ending.jpg

I love the font used in Deadly Premonition. I've seen it a few other places- I remember seeing it in Shadow of the Colossus, though it's been pointed out that SOTC uses Papyrus...maybe the OPM demo or a trailer? Most recently it's shown up in the subtitles of the Killer is Dead trailer. Anyone know what it is?

Aeana

I'm surpised this hasn't been mentioned:

jHU3N.png

Chrono Trigger on iOS. They went out of their way to make the font worse.

Helvetica is a bit out of place, but I hated what they did to CT DS, too. Especially the battle interface, where it's super tiny.

ZlNpBuD.jpg
x4rGaVx.jpg

I actually edited both fonts in the game because it bothered me so much:

aetOGEB.png
1yp175g.png

MegaMan Battle Network 5 DS US version used the regular GBA font, which is okay.
4aUSyvj.png

European version changed it for no reason.
C1YroZj.png

The first Star Force game definitely had the worst font.
HJdWbqe.png

The third fixed it and I like this one the most out of the 4 here.
FwfTYzu.png

randomkid

So, uh, what are the criteria for a good font exactly? I've always wondered. All I know is that the font in Square iOS games makes me recoil but I couldn't really tell you why.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
So, uh, what are the criteria for a good font exactly? I've always wondered. All I know is that the font in Square iOS games makes me recoil but I couldn't really tell you why.

They should always be legible first and foremost. But when it comes to your example, they need to seem like they fit in with the game. A lot of ports of older games to newer systems seem to mess this up. In the example of the Square iOS ports, the game is keeping the same pixel resultion of the the models and scenery, etc, but the font is this really clean, high resolution system font. The contrast is so noticable that it detracts from the game experience.

DarkPanda

I loved the game, but Xenoblade's menu font drove me nuts on occasion. The letters themselves were a bit too thin and they really needed more space between letters.

links_zps5853b6ef.jpg

You can see how the double f's and l's blur together, and the first i in "Affinity" is barely there. I specifically remember when trying to deal with the gems I had to squint to see the difference between a level II and a level III.

cj_iwakura

I don't know what it is that bugs me about Innocent Sin; it's something about the capital letters not meshing with the rest of the line.

SMT: Strange Journey did text right. I know the dialogue font isn't unique to this game, but it's clean, easy to read, and nicely spaced:
cJEll.png
rSvur.png

This is the font I wished Soul Hackers and Persona 2 used, and it summarizes my problem; it's not 'clean' so to speak.

cj_iwakura

Also, I kind of liked EO1's font, for some odd reason, even if it was(maybe because?) how different it was. 2 was a nice improvement though, and 4's looks divine.

Riposte

Man... I think I have a soft spot for "bad" fonts as long as they look like something could only come out of a videogame.

Which is to say I fucking hate the SE iOs port font.

I've begun to think some are posting every font except their favorite. Bad is Wild Arms 2, which is almost paint to read; not alot of these clean, eminently legible, and well-kerned typefaces.

Aeana

I've begun to think some are posting every font except their favorite. Bad is Wild Arms 2, which is almost paint to read; not alot of these clean, eminently legible, and well-kerned typefaces.
Or maybe people are judging based on different criteria than you are. It also could be that typefaces are subjective and not everyone finds the same things appealing.

Piggus

Has it supplanted Comic Sans?

Around my area, yes.

Really? I've never seen it before.

I guess it being overused is an indication of it being good.

There are a lot of private businesses where I live and it's really common for things like restaurants, spas, or any store run by hippies selling hemp string. Look for it and you'll see it. It's one of those stupid typefaces that's loved by people who know nothing about graphic design.

Edit: and no, it's not a good font lol. As this person rightly points out, Papyrus is the king of bad fonts.

There's even a Tumblr page called Papyrus Everywhere:

http://papyruseverywhere.tumblr.com/

cj_iwakura

As a tangent, this is the font I settled on for the fan translation of Shikigami no Shiro.
sayo1.png

Call me biased, but I like it.

I've always kinda wondered what Sonic Adventure's font is. Light-hearted, but not as painful as straight Comic Sans.

mqdefault.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

tumblr_m5cpmqsDD71rr2g16o6_1280.png

tumblr_m1h1bcbKAN1ql3a4xo1_500.gif

They changed it for the HD rereleases, and it... kinda sucks, now. Loses any and all character it had for a fairly basic sans-serif.

0.jpg

Mandoric

Banned
P3 and P4 use Skip in English, too, right? I like it, especially because it's one of those rare Japanese fonts where the alphabet portion both matches and looks good.

Mandoric

Banned
wut. I thought this font was perfectly fine. Probably the best font in gaming.

It oozes style, which is exactly what makes it miserable for subtitles that are effectively ten or fifteen pixels high. I realize that I have very, very little room to point fingers re: trying too hard to match a face, but smallcaps subs on an SD display is at best a terrible use of a good font.

AkIRA_22

I guess this classic image fits here

F6ZId.jpg

OH God COD has always made my eyes bleed. I'm not a designer, my girlfriend is and she cringes at games, after explaining the rules to good, clear and interesting typefaces how it's used to convey immediate understanding, familiarity and interest, I can now no longer accept shitty gaming fonts.

Novid

Banned
OH God COD has always made my eyes bleed. I'm not a designer, my girlfriend is and she cringes at games, after explaining the rules to good, clear and interesting typefaces how it's used to convey immediate understanding, familiarity and interest, I can now no longer accept shitty gaming fonts.

you think with all that money the dude bros would at least figured this out by now.

Mandoric

Banned
you think with all that money the dude bros would at least figured this out by now.

Figuring it out is inimical to how AAAA titles are made. If you don't have a single artist devoted solely to each popup, how will you grind out games in a year? And if you don't individually focus-test each one, how will you justify yourself to investors?

You're never gonna get longterm consistency when your model is built around firing the staff when a title goes gold and maybe hiring them back when the next one ramps up, anyway.

flyover

wut. I thought this font was perfectly fine. Probably the best font in gaming.
I understand what you're saying. The FFXII dialogue typeface is beautiful. However, it's just totally wrong for that purpose.

It's not always a matter of good and bad. A good typeface can become a bad one when used improperly. And a mediocre one can be just fine (even if not optimal) in the right situation.

Natsume's use of Comic Sans in Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life is unforgivable. I believe they also translated Chulip, using the same font. Hideous.

Xux

I understand what you're saying. The FFXII dialogue typeface is beautiful. However, it's just totally wrong for that purpose.

It's not always a matter of good and bad. A good typeface can become a bad one when used improperly. And a mediocre one can be just fine (even if not optimal) in the right situation.
What kind of purpose should it be used for? I thought the style of it fit the "rarity" and cinematic quality of the voice acted cutscenes and the simplicity made it readable (even if the dialogue didn't always match the subtitles).

Kup

That Etrian Odyssey IV font... HNNGGGG.

I find that Capcpom stick to the same boring, ugly font. Especially annoying in Dragon's Dogma. It just looks lazy. I'm sure it has been used since the Resident Evil days.

SLing.png

Top Bottom