• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS open Xbox Entertainment Studios in L.A The future of gaming is entertainment?

This may well be old news from Nancy Tellem joining MS but this is a new press release showing what that studio will be doing and some new stats.

02-11Xboxinfo_Page.jpg

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/features/2013/feb13/02-11Xbox.aspx

“Yes, we started with video games, but we have been on a journey to make Xbox the center of every household’s entertainment,” says Yusuf Mehdi, corporate vice president of Microsoft’s Interactive Entertainment Business.

2012 also marked the Xbox’s biggest year for entertainment and games usage. Users enjoyed more than 18 billion hours of entertainment in 2012, with entertainment app usage growing 57 percent year over year globally. Last year in the United States, Xbox LIVE Gold members averaged 87 hours per month on Xbox, an increase of 10 percent year over year

Nancy Tellem is spearheading a new L.A.-based studio called Xbox Entertainment Studios, where the mission is to create true interactive content for Xbox and other devices that will change the way entertainment content is experienced and delivered. Tellem also now oversees live event programming for Xbox LIVE. Xbox has had success with live events such as the Elections 2012 Hub on Xbox LIVE, which aired the presidential debates with an added interactive polling capability. Viewers submitted 3 million answers to on-screen questions during the live telecast of one of the debates. More recently, Xbox aired an interactive red carpet experience for this year’s Grammy Awards and will be doing the same for the 85th Academy Awards.

During 2013, Microsoft is planning to launch more than 40 new voice-controlled, customized TV and entertainment apps on Xbox.

“We want to partner with the industry to bring entertainment into a new era,” she says. “It’s an era when interactive entertainment becomes the greatest form of all entertainment – and we couldn’t be more excited to play a part in it.”

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This was their modus operandi from the start, and why certain gamers might be disappointed with Microsoft's offerings over the next year or so.

Do people want this?

I don't know if I run with the targeted demographic (obviously not), but when I talk to my friends about vidya, none of them tell me that they want a miltimedia entertainment box. They want a video game console, and only that.

I'm not trying to shit on Microsoft's deal here, but with all the Durango news that's coming out, it seems like they're going in the exact opposite of what their fanbase even wants. Am I wrong?

Foffy

Banned
Doesn't this, and their rumors of Durango, all point to them just wanting to own the living room as an entertainment hub?

Hana-Bi

Do people want this?

I don't know if I run with the targeted demographic (obviously not), but when I talk to my friends about vidya, none of them tell me that they want a miltimedia entertainment box. They want a video game console, and only that.

I'm not trying to shit on Microsoft's deal here, but with all the Durango news that's coming out, it seems like they're going in the exact opposite of what their fanbase even wants. Am I wrong?

I think the most people here want games. And it is safe to say that there will be interesting games coming for the 720. Sure MS will be focusing on multimedia, but this doesn't mean that the 720 won't be a console for gamers.

This was their modus operandi from the start, and why certain gamers might be disappointed with Microsoft's offerings over the next year or so.

Considering that out of 76 million boxes, they readily admit that 30 million, that is 39% of their total customer base isn't on Live, I think it's more than certain gamers. It's almost half.

strata8

Do people want this?

Who said they can't expand their userbase? As long as the gaming capabilities are up to scratch (and the price is competitive) I think most gamers would be happy.

I've got a 360, Blu-ray player, DVR, and Apple TV (for hiring movies). It'd be great to replace all those with a single system next gen.

Do people want this?

When people are spending money on mulitpurpose entertainment devices these days like tablets it's going to take more than a fancy new Halo game to get people excited about a $500 console. See Wii U sales.

GAF might hate that their Xbox has a video streaming but Joe Public will lap that shit up.

ITT: People hate that the Xbox plays more than just games.

I don't remember people getting mad that their cellphones did more than make phone calls.

FrankT

~1/3 tie in with Kinect. Bit higher than I thought. Not sure what kind of sales guesses were ever given early on.

This is the golden bit, will ad to OP.

But it’s not just about new types of entertainment; it’s also about new business models and new engagement opportunities for advertisers. Mehdi called the launch of NUads – a new ad format that harnesses Kinect and natural user interface – an important moment for TV advertising. NUads deliver what is most scarce to advertisers today: consumer engagement. NUads enable natural interactivity using the simplicity of a spoken word or the wave of a hand. The first wave of NUads, which launched last fall with interactive polling, saw a record level of consumer engagement with 37 percent of people responding. With this model, passive TV advertising is transformed into engaging and actionable experiences.

I have not seen one of these NUads once...US only thing?
Interactive polling, they had that with the US election campaign didn't they.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
You guys are kidding yourself if the next Xbox isn't going to be pegged as more of a 'multimedia/entertainment' box than a video game console.

It's already happened, look at your dashboard son.

Firestorm

Cell phones were never my favorite hobby. Or any hobby for that matter.
I think you meant talking to people. The cell phone is a product. Is gaming your hobby or is your Xbox 360 your hobby?

I'm not sure why we're still getting these threads. Welcome to 3 years ago. Or at the very least whenever the hell they put Netflix on consoles because I'm pretty sure Netflix is the #1 most used anything on my 360 friends list.

saunderez

You guys are kidding yourself if the next Xbox isn't going to be pegged as more of a 'multimedia/entertainment' box than a video game console.

It's already happened, look at your dashboard son.

I don't see it as a bad thing at all. If it's functional enough to replace my AppleTV it will replace my AppleTV. I'm always up for 1 less device taking a HDMI port on my TV.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Personally, I have no problem with Xbox being a home entertainment device. The problem is it's not a particularly good one compared to many alternatives, particularly if you're tech-savvy enough to roll a home media server.

Likewise, I have no problem with applications, but no matter how much effort they put into them, there'll be more options on my tablet, which can AirPlay with my ATV.

I mean, if your 360 is your only home entertainment device, that's cool, it works, Netflix is good, whatever.

More exciting for them than for gamers. Still that's pretty cool that 76 million Xbox 360s have been sold, Kinect is at 24 million with a 1/3 attach rate.

Izick

Of course this is the future; Microsoft wants to battle the Apple TV's and Roku's out there, and the Xbox console seems like a better deal overall if you're slightly interested in games, and since they usually have any necessary relevant apps.

This likely means that Microsoft will give less of a shit about 1st party stuff, but it of course won't affect 3rd party games. With that said, as someone who really enjoys playing video games, Sony seems like the way to go, but we'll see.

On man the meltdowns are gonna be interesting.

GAF already hates Microsofts next gen reveal and maybe their E3 showing.

Popcorn.gif

BadWolf

With the WiiU kinda going nowhere and the 720 possibly heading in a different direction... the timing seems just right for Sony to make a comeback to the glory days of PS1 and PS2.

FrankT

Personally, I have no problem with Xbox being a home entertainment device. The problem is it's not a particularly good one compared to many alternatives, particularly if you're tech-savvy enough to roll a home media server.

Likewise, I have no problem with applications, but no matter how much effort they put into them, there'll be more options on my tablet, which can AirPlay with my ATV.

I mean, if your 360 is your only home entertainment device, that's cool, it works, Netflix is good, whatever.

It would be significantly better if those apps didn't require and update all the time.

If all of these rumors are true about the nextbox then I wouldn't doubt if if fails as a 'core' gaming console, but finds acceptable success as a all-in-one media box. Though as I think about it I'm reminded of the saying 'Jack of all trades, master of none'.

Meelow

Banned
No wonder Microsoft will push Kinect 2 this gen, Kinect selling 24m units and it's just a add on is really good.

Mr.Green

ITT: People hate that the Xbox plays more than just games.

I don't remember people getting mad that their cellphones did more than make phone calls.

Good point.

This is merely fanboy trollism disguised as critique if you ask me.

This is the same ilk that bitches about a Kinect bundle or the Wii-U's resistive touch screen. They didn't give a shit to begin with but hey, why miss an opportunity to dis the filthy competition right?

Pooya

Please don't tell me Microsoft is going to continue to make all the apps themselves for the next gen.

I imagine they just open the windows store apps to it, wording from the other thread sounded like something similar is being deployed. there is already everything media related on there more or less, I'm not sure about their usability and interface in living room though!

If all of these rumors are true about the nextbox then I wouldn't doubt if if fails as a 'core' gaming console, but finds acceptable success as a all-in-one media box. Though as I think about it I'm reminded of the saying 'Jack of all trades, master of none'.

This is what spurred on my earlier question. Would their be a backlash from the current Xbox faithful if something like this happened? Can you really do all of these things and be good enough at all of them to maintain your fanbase and get new people on board?

I'm interested to see where this goes. Judging from the reactions to Microsoft's E3 presentations, "gamers" don't seem to be too thrilled with their current direction, and nothing in these rumors seem especially appealing.

Top Bottom