• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 6, 2013 (Feb 04 - Feb 10)

It's pretty discouraging that some of you prefer Apple's dominancy in the handheld gaming arena as opposed to supporting a game-dedicated handheld device. Granted, Nintendo's handheld designs have always been less-than-sexy and non-intuitive, but I'm not going to cease supporting traditional game devices and software in exchange for what smartphone games have to offer. Furthermore, it seems pretty strange that supporters of the Vita and its games would rather migrate to iOS games when the closest platform providing the similar titles and experiences to those found on the Vita is on the 3DS, not iOS.

On a personal and selfish note, it'd suck for me because I far prefer the Sony approach to handhelds. If they dropped out of things altogether that'd be the end of dedicated handhelds for me.
You can't enjoy 3DS games because of its shitty LCD screen? This is really silly.

Maybe you should just play games for fun and forget about what graphics card it's running on.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
oot3dtestv7.gif

joke

Holy crap

Jamix012

Has there ever been as much of a disconnect between Japan and America in hardware sales than it is right now with 3ds doing amazing in Japan and somewhat disappointing in America?

Well the DS was more disconnected at this point in it's life. The 3DS is tracking behind the DS in japan and infront of it America so it's actually closer...

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Wonder how much the 3DS will sell with the legs of AC, MH4, DQVII, and Pokemon XY. Record year?

I am actually wondering, what are the next few biggest franchises in japan apart from these? I am guessin mario and final fantasy...not sure what else.

I am thinking that maybe its a good decision to delay MH4 3DS away from March. The momentum from these 2 titles will most probably carry on for the next few months so it'll do more harm than good if MH4 is out in March as scheduled initially

SmokyDave

It's pretty discouraging that some of you prefer Apple's dominancy in the handheld gaming arena as opposed to supporting a game-dedicated handheld device. Granted, Nintendo's handheld designs have always been less-than-sexy and non-intuitive, but I'm not going to cease supporting traditional game devices and software in exchange for what smartphone games have to offer. Furthermore, it seems pretty strange that supporters of the Vita and its games would rather migrate to iOS games when the closest platform providing the similar titles and experiences to those found on the Vita is on the 3DS, not iOS.
As far as I'm concerned, the Vita is a noticeable step up from my smartphone / tablet, the 3DS isn't. I have many reasons for feeling like that but since they're only relevant to me and have nothing to do with sales, I won't bother going into them. You can rest assured that Apple and Nintendo can co-exist though, for the forseeable future at least.

You can't enjoy 3DS games because of its shitty LCD screen? This is really silly.

Maybe you should just play games for fun and forget about what graphics card it's running on.
Perhaps I should decide how best to spend my money and where my priorities lie?

Soriku

A few people would rather play iOS games than play on Nintendo handhelds? Smh.

Your loss. Everyone else will continue to play good games on Nintendo handhelds.

As far as I'm concerned, the Vita is a noticeable step up from my smartphone / tablet, the 3DS isn't. I have many reasons for feeling like that but since they're only relevant to me and have nothing to do with sales, I won't bother going into them. You can rest assured that Apple and Nintendo can co-exist though, for the forseeable future at least.

Join us for the Direct tomorrow man.
The overhype, the disappointments, the final surprise; then finally...the piece of fruit or veg.

pNWxlh.gif

SmokyDave

Well the DS was more disconnected at this point in it's life. The 3DS is tracking behind the DS in japan and infront of it America so it's actually closer...

Woah, that's actually really interesting. Any theories on why? Was the GBA playing a part in that?

I'm curious which system will end up playing second fiddle to the 3DS. It's pretty clear at this point that the 3DS will dominate the next generation in Japan, but there's always one or two other consoles behind the leading system which have at least decent market presence. Right now, it doesn't look like that will be the Vita or the WiiU.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well, 3DS is really on fire. Not only HW-wise, but also software-wise.

Dragon Quest VII 827.922
Very solid debut

Animal Crossing: New Leaf 81.559 / 2.513.424
Unstoppable

Fantasy Life 13.342 / 221.720 (-35%)
Solved the stock issues, is still performing well. Very solid debut for a new IP from L5, that could still count on its "evergreen" franchises and finally was able to found another "Ninokuni" kind of game to be exploited (Nino was huge on the DS but I think that this one will still sell for awhile and could be better managed in terms of franchise)

New Super Mario Bros. 2 11.685 / 1.910.708
Not as hot as on DS but still performing very well. 2 millions is near

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) 10.523 / 218.097
As said in the other thread, it's performing really well and adding the LTD of the normal edition could hit 2 millions. Not bad at all.

Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb 7.459 / 416.033
When we talk about long seller, here it is one of them. Strong LTD up to now and not fading at all.

Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! 7.383 / 420.815
This is some of those unpredictable successes that was so popular on the DS

Paper Mario: Sticker Star - 6.452 / 518.096
Best episode ever in the series and still selling

Inazuma Eleven Go 2: Chrono Stone - Neppuu / Raimei 6.121 / 414.207
Here we are with the stable L5 brands as I think Prof Layton will be also with the 6th episode, considering the solid result of the spinoff.

Mario Kart 7 5.674 / 1.972.440
As for Mario2, not at DS levels but very solid. Also here, 2 millions is near.

BadWolf

I'm curious which system will end up playing second fiddle to the 3DS. It's pretty clear at this point that the 3DS will dominate the next generation in Japan, but there's always one or two other consoles behind the leading system which have at least decent market presence. Right now, it doesn't look like that will be the Vita or the WiiU.

I think there is a good chance of the PS4 taking that spot.

When quoting AC numbers, please use the superior tracker!

02./01. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 90.652 / 2.857.599 (+19%)

Cheebo

Banned
Woah, that's actually really interesting. Any theories on why? Was the GBA playing a part in that?

DS struggled somewhat till DS Lite came out, the DS Lite changed everything. The fact there is no real DS Lite like massive change to the hardware and how it is perceived on the horizon means it will not really match that situtation, especially in the west where 3DS is under-performing with no real turnaround in sight.

DS struggled somewhat till DS Lite came out, the DS Lite changed everything. The fact there is no real DS Lite like massive change to the hardware and how it is perceived on the horizon means it will not really match that situtation, especially in the west where 3DS is under-performing with no real turnaround in sight.

Mainland Europe has seen a turn around. US has another year I'd say; NPD with Fire Emblem will be pretty interesting to see.

UK it seems dead. Though who knows; Animal Crossing might do something, we'll see.

Mileena

Banned
The main failure were Ni no Kuni on PS3 (though it is having a good reception in the West) and Gundam Age on PSP (which was published by Namco though). Nothing worrying; probably Level-5 will not see the heights it had on DS with Layton and Inazuma, but it is adapting fast to the changing market, and it seems it is having some good ideas lately. Fantasy Life was able to grasp some of the Animal Crossing craziness and it has eventually overcome the 200k mark (pretty unusual for a new IP) and Youkai Watch might have a chance to sell nicely as well.
Any chance NnK sells more in NA than Japan? Just how bad did it do?
Would be really nice to see a good JRPG do better here for once while the JP are busy with their Animal Crossing nonsense.

Zenaku

Nintendo website has a 9 minute video of Iwata appologizing for the stock problems for AC, and explaining why/offering alternatives (download version).

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/egdj/info/movie.html

Basically, the game requires a larger space for save data than any other 3DS game, and needs to use a special type of ROM (SLC-NAND) to save the data to quickly. It's more expensive than MLC-NAND (which is used by all other 3DS games), faster and lasts a lot longer (about 10-20x as many writes). It's because the game uses this type of ROM that they can't just use cartridges from other games.

Problems with creating these cartridges may also have a hand in AC not being available worldwide; they can't even create enough for Japan let alone other regions.

Doczu

Basically, the game requires a larger space for save data than any other 3DS game, and needs to use a special type of ROM (SLC-NAND) to save the data to quickly. It's more expensive than MLC-NAND (which is used by all other 3DS games), faster and lasts a lot longer (about 10-20x as many writes). It's because the game uses this type of ROM that they can't just use cartridges from other games.

How many save writes does a typical cart handle?

I can't enjoy my 3DS at much as my Vita simply because half of the experience is moot since access to the store is essentially null and void until they offer me a competent account system. The cheap tech is a shame, but I have no problem overlooking it if there are quality games to be played.

Nintendo website has a 9 minute video of Iwata appologizing for the stock problems for AC, and explaining why/offering alternatives (download version).

The apology should be for not manufacturing enough copies but also for creating an alternative to it that is horrendously awful (their download service). I would have gladly bought Fire Emblem on their e-shop, but instead had to wait for stores to get stock.

sphinx

the piano man
Problems with creating these cartridges may also have a hand in AC not being available worldwide; they can't even create enough for Japan let alone other regions.

well, there's that.

if anyone was wondering if/when it will come to the west, this is pretty telling.

Zenaku

How many save writes does a typical cart handle?

According to Wikipedia (might need confirmation from others):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory
SLC NAND flash is typically rated at about 100k cycles (Samsung OneNAND KFW4G16Q2M)
MLC NAND flash used to be rated at about 5k – 10k cycles (Samsung K9G8G08U0M) but is now typically 1k – 3k cycles

Normal cartridge could be anywhere between 1-10,000. AC is 100,000. How data is saved would affect that though.

mclem

By 'competition', I don't mean a neck & neck race. I just mean it'd be bad for gamers if the dedicated handheld market only had one entrant.

Mmm, that's a good question. I'm not sure I agree, but I do see your point.

I do agree when you take the handheld market in isolation; I don't think having one player there is helpful to the industry as a whole. However, Nintendo having a stable rock on the handheld side might well serve to spice up the *console* market, since it means Sony would want to fight strongly there to make up for their deficit in the handheld arena.

I have no doubts that things will get better for Wii U. But it won't be anytime soon. It's fair to say Nintendo squandered their headstart. PlayStation 4 could make quite an entrance if Sony has the games at launch.

Cheebo

Banned
Can carts run out of saves? o_O
My understanding is the cards ds/3ds games don't have timed batteries like old gameboy carts but a a set amount of times they can be saved onto. It's a high number but yeah the will eventually run out of the ability to save eventually if you save it enough times from what I understand. Same with all sd cards I believe.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
U stable in its horrendous sales. But it will recover

3DS doesn't need to be discussed about anymore. That thing is unstoppable

Vita

3973852_o.gif

It's really annoying when nearly every device around these days has a high res IPS or OLED screen, but the 3DS doesn't. The games are still fun mind, but the idea of playing those games in much higher resolution on a slightly bigger screen is what kills some of the fun, for me anyway. How I wish some 3DS games were for Vita, purely because it would control and look better.. But hey, we can't have it all, and we'll have to accept the fact Nintendo doesn't care about proper hardware anymore.

But at least the console sells like mad in Japan, which is good for the dedicated handheld market.

Zenaku

My understanding is the cards ds/3ds games don't have timed batteries like old gameboy carts but a a set amount of times they can be saved onto. It's a high number but yeah the will eventually run out of the ability to save eventually if you save it enough times from what I understand. Same with all sd cards I believe.

Yep. If the numbers on Wiki are right (and I'm understanding them properly) then saving a 3DS game 100 times a day would wear out the flash memory in 1-2 months. Maybe.

Diablos54

I can't enjoy my 3DS at much as my Vita simply because half of the experience is moot since access to the store is essentially null and void until they offer me a competent account system. The cheap tech is a shame, but I have no problem overlooking it if there are quality games to be played.
See, now this is understandable, since a unified account system is something that's needed. But people 'quitting' handheld gaming if Sony leave are pretty much fanboys, it's supposed to be about the games, not the hardware/Sony or Nintendo.

Road

Comgnet store pre-order points comparison:

9 days away:

[PS3] MGS4 - 579pt
[PSP] MGSPW - 429pt
[PS3] Bayo - 165pt
[PS3] DmC - 78pt
[PS3] MGRR - 327pt

(Mess...)

16 days away:

[PS3] DW6 - 184pt (final 381pt)*
[PS3] DW7 - 158pt (final 328pt)*
[PS3] DW8 - 106pt

[PSP] Shining Blade - 267pt
[PSP] Shining Hearts - 327pt
[PSP] Shining Ark - 149pt

(Just die, PSP)

[NDS] Layton 3 - 207pt
[NDS] Layton 4 - 160pt
[3DS] Layton 5 - 145pt
[3DS] Layton 6 - 48pt

(Is it too late to reformat these Layton carts into Fantasy Life ones?)

[3DS] Boobs - not top 20 (<36pt)
[3DS] Boobs Burst - 37pt
[PSV] Boobs Versus - 49pt

[NDS] DB Kai Ultimate Butouden - not top 20 (<40pt)
[3DS] DB Heroes Ultimate Mission - 101pt

(Only DB card games from now on...)

[PSP] PSP - 291pt (final 303pt)**
[PSP] PSP2 - 285pt (final 535pt)**
[PSP] PSP2 I - 448pt (final 574pt)**
[PSV] PSO2 - 72pt

(Or I could just play it for free...)

23 days away:

[PSV] ToI R - 30pt
[PSV] ToH R - 35pt

[PSV] Gravity Rush - not in top 20 (<17pt)
[PSV] Soul Sacrifice - not in top 20 (<35pt)

(From the "Savior of the Vita" Series)

[PSV] Diva f - 102pt
[PS3] Diva f - 116pt

* Comgnet was a very "wrong" for Dynasty Warriors. 7 had less pre-orders than 6 there, but it ended up selling 260k first week, while 6 did only 176k.

** And also of how Comgnet store can be "wrong" in a funny way. Pre-orders there were PSP2I > PSP2 > PSP, but actual first week sales were the opposite, PSP > PSP2 > PSP2I. Also note how PSP2 had a rush of pre-orders near the release date.

So, before you go thinking DIVA f will sell better on the PS3 or that Senran Kagura will sell better on the Vita, think Comgnet can simply be "wrong" again.

It's really annoying when nearly every device around these days has a high res IPS or OLED screen, but the 3DS doesn't. The games are still fun mind, but the idea of playing those games in much higher resolution on a slightly bigger screen is what kills some of the fun, for me anyway. How I wish some 3DS games were for Vita, purely because it would control and look better.. But hey, we can't have it all, and we'll have to accept the fact Nintendo doesn't care about proper hardware anymore.

But at least the console sells like mad in Japan, which is good for the dedicated handheld market.

Really now, you do realize that Nintendo's handhelds have always been woefully behind the times right, and that's the exact reason why they dominated for so long.
So, before you go thinking DIVA f will sell better on the PS3 or that Senran Kagura will sell better on the Vita, think Comgnet can simply be "wrong" again.

Yep, although generally a title not appearing at all in those charts is not a good sign at all which speaks very badly to me about Soul Sacrifice's appeal to the wider market.

Top Bottom