• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN: Real Names

Boss Man

They said you can keep your avatars and usernames.

I am also under the impression that this is optional-- especially with Sony's hacking fiasco, they wouldn't force this.

Also, I am under the impression that only friends can see this, or at least you would have that flexibility
I'm not so sure, he worded it like "they aren't going away." If you look at the screen, the PSN ID and avatar are still there. They're just barely there, and the focus is on the person's real info.

Um the guy in the press conference said it the entire experience was centered around real names, and importing FL from social networks. I don't think its optional.

Did you listen to and watched the same conference as me? He said its optional.

I'll repeat cause the OP is a very FUD post: ITS OPTIONAL.

Some people will stir shit up for no reason.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'm annoyed that Youtube keeps asking me if I want to use my real name. I don't want this stuff.

nothankyou.jpg

will be pretty funny it it's something like this on PS4 too.

-Boot Folklore 2 on PS4
-get to the start screen.
-Hit x to play
-PS4 stop the game and the screen turn to black
-message on screen saying "Get a Better Name on PSN"

androvsky

Of course you are not going to have to do it. But you know that there will surely be an option to "connect" your Facebook account, and if you say yes to that it will probably autofill all the details or somesuch.

No, I did too, and you can see it in their own interface mockup, right below the dude's real name.

2eCJJld.jpg

Thanks, was beginning to worry.

Oh hey his nickname is DayZ100 i wonder if that's hinting at anything...

B.O.O.M

I think he meant you'll still have your PSN ID with avatars and all of that. But you can link it to existing social media if you want.

I definitely don't plan on linking it so it shouldn't bother me one bit ... I hope.

Here's a comment from Yoshida about "always online." It's not about the social stuff, but I think this philosophy will probably be present throughout PS4, thankfully.

Few women will want to use this. Just think of the danger it poses as far as stalking and online harassment. No one with a sensitive career choice in danger of being judged will want to use this: teachers, nurses, doctors, and on and on. It's the same as the Blizzard forum real name stuff.

The ability to do damage to someone with just their name is pretty extensive. I would never, ever use it. How many stories have come out about people losing in games online then tracking someone down and attacking them? I know I saw one for WoW and Call of Duty at a bare minimum.

Privacy is not something that should be given away so easily. As long as it's optional, I can live with it.

This..so much THIS. Well said

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm annoyed that Youtube keeps asking me if I want to use my real name. I don't want this stuff.

nothankyou.jpg

Well, that... and it wants you to make a Flopple Plus account. Nokthxgoogie

Omega

Banned
I use a fake name on that stuff so I don't care.

I don't understand why they would do this after the infamous PSN hack. Your solution to protecting people's privacy is to remove it?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
As you can see with many Facebook posts, using a real name doesn't deter people from acting like horrible pieces of shit.

MoogPaul

The facebook integration doesn't do it for me. I like Nintendo's idea of Miiverse better. Separate gaming social sphere.

They said in the conference that there would be anonymity for those who wanted it. They were very straight forward about that. I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Boss Man

I'd love to at least be able to manually add aliases to my friends list. It's hard to keep track of who "BluntDude420XXX" is IRL.
I don't mind real names existing in some form, and I'd appreciate a feature like this as well (even one that works through connecting your FB account). What I don't like is the priority implied in the screen, where you are 'Henry Bayle' (with FB picture) first, and weedGOKU666 (with skull avatar) second.

If it was the other way around, I'd be cool with that.

Again, for me this is not an issue of privacy or anything. It's about how PSN will look.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Um the guy in the press conference said it the entire experience was centered around real names, and importing FL from social networks. I don't think its optional.

He explicitly said it was optional. Multiple times.

Thanks, was beginning to worry.

Oh hey his nickname is DayZ100 i wonder if that's hinting at anything...

Well yeah they were even on the list last night. So who knows!

XJlNqu8.png

Haunted

nothankyou.jpg
Exactly what I thought of when I see this.

I explicitly want Facebook (which uses my real name) separated from Youtube and PSN and XBL and WiiU stuff etc etc.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I wouldn't be surprised if they have a tiered system of friends. Like you can have your close friends who get to see your personal info, and then general gaming friends who just see your username. Then it's up to you to manage that, although the system would probably build the 'close friends' list off your Facebook profile.

Mikey Jr.

Of course this is optional....Why is this even a debate?

1. It'll have privacy settings, so who can see your face/name/comments/etc. Ie, the user only, friends only, everybody. Maybe which pieces are shown as well?
2. You don't have to put anything sensitive in there? Don't like putting your real face, name, etc., in there? THEN DON'T.

I love it. I won't put my last name, but my first name, location, picture? Sure. Why not. I already have my Uncharted 3 profile linked to psn, and that has ALL my shit on there and I don't even care.

sublimit

Banned

nothankyou.jpg

Absolutely this.

At some point Youtube didn't let me use my old username anymore and forced me to use an actual name.But because my Youtube account was linked to my yahoo mail address,my new (fake) youtube username appeared as my contact name for my yahoo friends.That was embarrasing and from that moment i deleted completely my Youtube account.Seriously fuck that shit.I don't want this big brother mess invading my hobby as well.

Salsa

it'd be one way to town down the usual online discrimination/trash talk/etc

but yeah they're not gonna do it

VanWinkle

OP sounds like a jerk, but I'm sure that stuff will be optional. Never really understood why its such a big deal, though, myself.

Roto13

Sony thinks I'm going to start treating you all like actual human beings and they're completely wrong about it.

Boss Man

OP sounds like a jerk, but I'm sure that stuff will be optional. Never really understood why its such a big deal, though, myself.
Hey, you're a jerk. What's your name?

This not the reason why I don't like real names. It's purely based on how PSN will look because of it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I actually think Sony articulated a very clear vision in the talk.

- When you are gaming with your friends, a handle mostly gets in the way. And you want to game with your friends, and there's value in the convenience of connecting with friends through your existing social networks. An avatar can still be valuable, but so can real-life photos. You'll want to share photos and videos with friends using existing social networks as well.

- On the other hand, when you're gaming with strangers online, you mostly want to use your handle for privacy purposes. You don't want to share your location, name, and photo obviously. If you upload a video to share to the public ("check out my high score"), you probably want it anonymous.

So a good system is one that accommodates both effectively, and I think this will.

odhiex

I guess that's optional? Like facebook and Twitter??... I have many friends with fake ids on them too.

velociraptor

I think he meant you'll still have your PSN ID with avatars and all of that. But you can link it to existing social media if you want.

I definitely don't plan on linking it so it shouldn't bother me one bit ... I hope.

Here's a comment from Yoshida about "always online." It's not about the social stuff, but I think this philosophy will probably be present throughout PS4, thankfully.

Few women will want to use this. Just think of the danger it poses as far as stalking and online harassment. No one with a sensitive career choice in danger of being judged will want to use this: teachers, nurses, doctors, and on and on. It's the same as the Blizzard forum real name stuff.

The ability to do damage to someone with just their name is pretty extensive. I would never, ever use it. How many stories have come out about people losing in games online then tracking someone down and attacking them? I know I saw one for WoW and Call of Duty at a bare minimum.

Privacy is not something that should be given away so easily. As long as it's optional, I can live with it.
100% spot on.

Obviously it's optional, but in a way, I wouldn't mind it. I almost wish it were mandatory. Imagine how many of the assholes you'd eliminate if you stripped away the anonymity! I think people tend to be much more well behaved on a site like Facebook than social media outlets that promote using a fake handle.

I know they can't possibly make you "be yourself" online in any capacity, but I wouldn't mind the experiment of seeing what could happen if they did.

What would be nice if we didn't have to pay 20-40p just to use a more readily identifiable 100x100 avatar for PSN.

I would love it if Sony would drop that revenue stream and let us upload our own pictures for PSN profiles but that's unlikely to happen because microtransactions > what makes sense. I mean even those things take months to get approved by SCEE if at all.

Even if it's a small thing, the current situation is really pathetic.

Shinta said:

Well said, I'm not comfortable with Faceblob as it is. Who wants to let loose personal infomation akin to that in a gaming context.

I'm fine that it exists, just as long as it's not a mandatory feature or something forced upon us.

I would like to be able to use my real name for real life friends, and my PSN name for friends I meet online, and I imagine that's what Sony is envisioning.

There's no way they'll repeat Blizzard's real name fiasco.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Obviously it's optional, but in a way, I wouldn't mind it. I almost wish it were mandatory. Imagine how many of the assholes you'd eliminate if you stripped away the anonymity! I think people tend to be much more well behaved on a site like Facebook than social media outlets that promote using a fake handle.

I know they can't possibly make you "be yourself" online in any capacity, but I wouldn't mind the experiment of seeing what could happen if they did.

Um, is this being sarcastic?

For the last few years, ever since "real names will clean up the internet" has become a marketing angle because Facebook wants marketers, people have been observing: so-called real names and even photos don't do crap.

Facebook is a den of assholes and psychopaths, most of them proud to display their grinning mug and driver's license name. Many of them all but literally say "come at me bro!"

One of the big jokes that went around during Google Plus beta, was that when Google began kicking people off for using their persistent online handle, that all their friends knew them by as opposed to a so-called "real name", it was often the people using real names who were assholes. They were the ones yelling "get that internet trash off here! This is for us!" and insulting people, even trying to get them in trouble.

Meanwhile the people with nicknames, pseudonyms, and preferred handles were explaining how "anonymity" doesn't work the way many people assume. And quite often being the nice people.

Izick

I'm actually fine with real names on the console, since I really only play games with people that I know in person.

Boss Man

I don't have a problem with the real name being there in some form, I just don't want it to be the focus. I think the PSN ID (and avatar) should be front and center, not the way that it's shown in the screen.

NeededSleep

i hope they finally give us the option to change our PSN name ID.

I hate mine, made it quickly as a place holder thinking i can change it later.. Yeah i failed to read the instructions :(

element

I'm personally all for real names. One feature on XBL or PSN I've been asking for year is the ability to personalize names on my friends list.

I'm personally tired of seeing DarkLord206 (or whatever) is now online, when really I just want to see James is now online. It is just juvenile IMO.

hodgy100

if you watch it again they clearly state that when playing online people only see your PSN ID I believe that people on your friends list will see your real name.

Number45

flashbacks to Battle.net 2.0's RealID that blew up in Blizzard's face and that is still fucking weird to use.
The way battle.net works at the moment is fine, so if Sony use that as their template I don't see the problem.

• Someone adds me with my email address, they see my real name
  • Someone adds me with my PSN ID, they see my PSN ID
  • Not on my friends list, they see my PSN ID

Top Bottom