• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone surprised MS has managed to keep leaks from happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
Wreckage, I'm with them on this one. Whilst I do think it looks like Microsoft may have left the 360 to an early grave as far as first party efforts go (thus far), I'm not sure it'd be fair to say Microsoft has abandoned the core gamer. Contrary, I think they realise the core gamer is much of their current demographic. Hence the Halo's and the Gears.

I don't think they have completely abandoned the core gamer but they need to do a better balancing act, the last few E3s have been pretty poor

Jadedx

Banned
I'll agree to disagree. Microsoft went through their first and second party studios with a scalpel last generation and I'm supposed to somehow believe that they're back and better than ever. What business sense does it make to shut down so many studios and sever ties with so many devs only to turn around and open up new studios? It would be a complete waste of money. Even if their first party studios are working on new IPs there should be zero confidence placed in that. Should I remind you of Brute Force, Blinx, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kakuto Chojin, and the middling Rare games?

MS got rid of studios that were not making them money, just like sony did, but people tend to forget that. The reason MS' old strategy did not work too well is because they either took pc game devs and then told them to make console games, or they bought an older studio and made them change their process; it did not work out well in most cases. MS' new strategy is the one they started with in 2003/4 with turn 10, create a team of talented devs then build the process around them.

Wreckage, I'm with them on this one. Whilst I do think it looks like Microsoft may have left the 360 to an early grave as far as first party efforts go (thus far), I'm not sure it'd be fair to say Microsoft has abandoned the core gamer. Contrary, I think they realise the core gamer is much of their current demographic. Hence the Halo's and the Gears.

Gears and Halo? So like I said earlier, throwing the core a bone. Their first party line up has been paltry.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't think they have completely abandoned the core gamer but they need to do a better balancing act, the last few E3s have been pretty poor

The sad thing is they probably think they did exactly the right thing. Show off kinect crap, then show a variety of dudebro games depending on what year it is like gears, halo, tomb raider or COD. That's what they consider the core gamer, people that we would consider casual still.

Getting the feeling I've missed something.

Few more days to what.?

He thinks someone from Microsoft will leak the contents of their internal meeting. He also thinks the meeting concerns new specs. He's probably going to be wrong on both counts.

Gears and Halo? So like I said earlier, throwing the core a bone. Their first party line up has been paltry.

We still live in the dreamworld where downloadable games aren't actual games? What other hidden rules do you have?

The sad thing is they probably think they did exactly the right thing. Show off kinect crap, then show a variety of dudebro games depending on what year it is like gears, halo, tomb raider or COD. That's what they consider the core gamer, people that we would consider casual still.

Yes, they clearly moneyhatted Minecraft for the "dudebros". The amount of stupid in this thread is incredible.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think MS is gonna pull a Sony and put out updated specs to developers after the official reveal. Make sense with the current Durango info being so ancient and confirmed by an echo chamber.

Spot on, MS could do with ips like Beyond Two Souls or Last of Us for the portfolio, Alan Wake was a decent start but they don't seem to look past trying to push Kinect and sequels to established franchises. If the mandatory Kinect thing is true it will be interesting to see the reaction.

He thinks someone from Microsoft will leak the contents of their internal meeting. He also thinks the meeting concerns new specs. He's probably going to be wrong on both counts.

We still live in the dreamworld where downloadable games aren't actual games? What other hidden rules do you have?

And are we going to pretend that Sony hasn't had stellar PSN titles released? I love how the goal posts shift. Keep on back peddling.

meta4

I think MS is gonna pull a Sony and put out updated specs to developers after the official reveal. Make sense with the current Durango info being so ancient and confirmed by an echo chamber.

I am still amazed anyone thinks the system is going to be weak when all the rumors from dev's point to it being only slightly weaker than PS4. Both the systems are likely going to be the same spec wise.

Izick

I used to buy into that too, but after thinking about it a little more, especially XBLA games, and seeing people actually list the games, I've come to actually realize that I was wrong. Microsoft definitely has goofed some shit up during the E3's and whatnot, but they still have been bringing out exclusives both at retail and on XBLA.

Now is it as frequently or as diverse as Sony? No, not really but it's not like Microsoft has completely abandoned ship. Their E3 performances are shitty, but it's not indicative of the overall quality of the console's exclusives.

Hindle

Banned
I don't get the whole Sony are diverse, they've released just as many shooters as MS if not more.

Edit. Seriously I don't want games like The Last of Us or Beyond Two Souls anywhere near an Xbox console. If games like that are classed as diversity then I'd rather pass.

Izick

I don't get the whole Sony are diverse, they've released just as many shooters as MS if not more.

I disagree, when I see stuff like Heavy Rain, Twisted Metal, Demon's Souls, etc., I think they're fairly diverse, and even though (as Baconsammy said) some are stinkers, at least they're trying. That's not to say MS isn't though.

And are we going to pretend that Sony hasn't had stellar PSN titles released? I love how the goal posts shift. Keep on back peddling.

Where did I talk about PSN? Now you're seeing ghosts. You're the one saying Halo and Gears are all that Microsoft throws to the core. YOU are the one that discounted XBLA. Now look at game and console sales and tell me with a straight face that 360 owners are being abandoned. It's beyond dumb. At least when Nintendo abandoned Wii owners the sales of consoles and games had the good sense to crater.

Edit. Seriously I don't want games like The Last of Us or Beyond Two Souls anywhere near an Xbox console. If games like that are classed as diversity then I'd rather pass.

Sony desperately tried to capture the shooter market. Desperately. They failed. You don't want Last of Us on 360? Man, this thread.

Feindflug

I assume you also hate Sony's previous E3 conferences (3D gimmick, Killzone 3 & Uncharted 3 as their big titles, Wonderbook e.t.c.) including the recent PS4 event (Killzone & Infamous spin-offs, Media Molecule weird showing), because going by your definition they were as casual and dudebro as it gets.

Hindle

Banned
I disagree, when I see stuff like Heavy Rain, Twisted Metal, Demon's Souls, etc., I think they're fairly diverse, and even though (as Baconsammy said) some are stinkers, at least they're trying. That's not to say MS isn't though.

Games like Lost Odysesy, Blue Dragon, AW, do these not count?

Not my type of thing personally but still they're on the console.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I am still amazed anyone thinks the system is going to be weak when all the rumors from dev's point to it being only slightly weaker than PS4. Both the systems are likely going to be the same spec wise.
I also think its crazy to think those specs are still unchanged from so long ago. I just don't believe it. MS is not here to fuck around, and they have the money to flex.

Moosichu

Can't we leave this list wars discussion until we have actual lists of next-gen games?

Sony and MS both have their pros and cons. Recently I have been prefering Sony because of their pro-consumer and gamer actions (PS+, cross-buy and diverse high-quality AAA and indie games ).

However, Durango hasnt been announces yet so wait for that first.

All those comments were before Sony's final spec were revealed though.

I also think its crazy to think those specs are still unchanged from so long ago. I just don't believe it. MS is not here to fuck around, and they have the money to flex.

I hope your right. More than anything.

Derrick01

Banned
I assume you also hate Sony's previous E3 conferences (3D gimmick, Killzone 3 & Uncharted 3 as their big titles in 2011, Wonderbook in 2012 e.t.c.) including the recent PS4 event (Killzone & Infamous spin-offs, Media Molecule weird showing), because going by your definition they were as casual and dudebro as it gets.

I certainly don't love their conferences either. But I give them a pass because E3 is what it is now, basically a shell of its former glory. I'm more interested in what the companies actually do throughout each year, and Sony released a lot of pretty diverse games over the last 4 years. That's good enough for me.

Jadedx

Banned

Most people on here think MS is incompetent, so they can't see a world where MS could possibly 1 up sony. People forget that it is sony that is incompetent, they lost 95% of their net worth in 12 years and they are still bleeding money.

Montresor

You're so fucking full of yourself. The bolded is you veering off into the deep end with your commentary. There is no "we" here among Neogaf, no contingent of enlightened gamers that are above and beyond the rest of the populace. There are all sorts of gamers at this web site that love Gears, Halo, Tomb Raider and COD and they're core gamers too.

Most people on here think MS is incompetent, so they can't see a world where MS could possibly 1 up sony. People forget that it is sony that is incompetent, they lost 95% of their net worth in 12 years and they are still bleeding money.

If MS spent the money to revamp the system to be significantly more powerful than Sony and still providing the performance bandwidth necessary to keep Kinect 2 and the OS from being starved you realize this would result in them having to release the more expensive system right?

Gamers definition of 'incompetent' and the world at large do not match up.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sony can keep thier diverse games lol. As I stated above I don't want games like HR, The Last Of Us or Beyond two souls anywhere near a MS console.

Why not? Can you point out what's wrong with TLOU that offends your fragile gaming sensibilities?

Sounds like some "Fox and the grapes" type of shit.

I don't think that's accurate. The impression I get is that some people are desperately wishing it to be true, though. As for Sony being incompetent, meh. They've made a lot of moronic decisions which have caused them to hemorrhage money and piss away marketshare, but...well yeah, I guess incompetent might describe modern day Sony. I'm continually surprised at how utterly stupid their handling of the Vita is.

Derrick01

Banned
Wait are some seriously trying to say Sony's output is not diverse?

We should be thankful list wars haven't broken out yet, because then you'd see the definition of the word exclusive being stretched again. Because "PC doesn't count".

Moosichu

I don't think its that, MS just appears to be taking a different direction to Sony. Also, Sony was once and still could be a clever company (lol vita :p ). MS can be the same, Windows 8 is bombing but they could learn from their mistakes. Companies change over tine.

Hindle

Banned
Why not? Can you point out what's wrong with TLOU that offends your fragile gaming sensibilities?

Sounds like some "Fox and the grapes" type of shit.

Just my opinion. Those type of games are seriously damaging to gameplay and I'd rather not have them on a MS console.

Jadedx

Banned
If MS spent the money to revamp the system to be significantly more powerful than Sony and still providing the performance bandwidth necessary to keep Kinect 2 and the OS from being starved you realize this would result in them having to release the more expensive system right?

Gamers definition of 'incompetent' and the world at large do not match up.

So? Xbox lite is good enough for the casual market until the price of the core console comes down.

Feindflug

I certainly don't love their conferences either. But I give them a pass because E3 is what it is now, basically a shell of its former glory. I'm more interested in what the companies actually do throughout each year, and Sony released a lot of pretty diverse games over the last 4 years. That's good enough for me.

So bad conferences is not only MS's problem? OK then because the way you wrote that suggested that Sony's events are not casual-friendly and dudebro.

That being said it will be really interesting to see MS's approach in the upcoming event, at this point I honestly think it's really hard to predict anything since we're talking about a new system and a new gen...I think it's best to just wait and see.

Izick

People here don't think MS is incompetent, the vocal people just think MS doesn't care about them. (not saying it's true)

meta4

Wait are some seriously trying to say Sony's output is not diverse?

There is a guy who says an unreleased game like TLOU is pathetic and does not want it to come anywhere close to an XBOX console. Gears according to him is the pinnacle of diversity and non generic. Fanboys of the most delusional kind here in GAF unfortunately. I swear they would prob have a heart attack if MS loses market share next gen. They are a a couple of them here way too invested.

All those comments were before Sony's final spec were revealed though.

I hope your right. More than anything.

I was thinking beyond 4GB of GDDR5 would be a case of diminishing returns and most of the benefits of the increase going only to the OS features and not games. Is that not true?

Derrick01

Banned
So bad conferences is not only MS's problem? OK then because the way you wrote that suggested that Sony's events are not casual-friendly and dudebro.

That being said it will be really interesting to see MS's approach in the upcoming event, at this point I honestly think it's really hard to predict anything since we're talking about a new system and a new gen...I think it's best to just wait and see.

Yeah bad conferences seems like an everyone problem nowadays since E3 is a more casual event now, at least as far as the conferences go.

What I was trying to say is MS' E3 conferences match their yearly strategy and lineup now a lot more than Sony's. A lot of the games Sony releases each year don't make it into their E3 show beyond a montage video. I wish as much as anyone that they wouldn't waste 20 minutes on wonderbook when they have 4 other exclusives that need to be shown off.

The Crusty Juggler said:
Just my opinion. Those type of games are seriously damaging to gameplay and I'd rather not have them on a MS console.

I understand that kind of complaint about Quantic Dream's games, but the last of us? That seems like it's doing more for third person shooters than any have in years. It also seems strange to see that kind of venom in a comment when most of the games 360 gets now are halo and gears of war.

So? Xbox lite is good enough for the casual market until the price of the core console comes down.

Yeah there is a reason your not in upper management there buddy.

Even if MS released a system that was fairly weaker than PS4 it won't matter. As long as Kinect 2.0 is impressive to the casuals and they have their stable of strong IP(Halo, PGR, Next Epic..ect.) The system will sell great and turn a greater profit. What possible motivator is there for them to fight Sony for the top tech when all they stand to lose is profit.

Hindle

Banned
There is a guy who says an unreleased game like TLOU is pathetic and does not want it to come anywhere close to an XBOX console. Gears according to him is the pinnacle of diversity and non generic. Fanboys of the most delusional kind here in GAF unfortunately. I swear they would prob have a heart attack if MS loses market share next gen. They are a a couple of them here way too invested.

I was thinking beyond 4GB of GDDR5 benefits for games would be a case of diminishing returns and most of the benefits of the increase goes only to the OS. Is that not true?

You calling me a fanboy? Jesus Christ the level of hypocrisy. I happen to prefer playing co op with My friends on Gears then enjoying the latest pretentious story from ND. Notice btw how I say I in my comments unlike you or Thiswreckage who say WE. Opinions dude everyone has them. You or any other of the same users seem to have a hard time understanding that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom