• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch.tv reaches 28 million unique monthly visitors in February.

Way to go Twitch. I love this site.

In fact im building a small form pc just so I can watch it (and other internet stuff like Revision 3) on my big screen in the main room. And probably some steam games too.

Even going to start broadcasting when New Monster Hunter is out. Twitch is better than tv imo but then again most stuff is.

If anyone important is reading this, FIX THE iOS APP. Let's not pretend it isn't garbage anymore, please.

They have fixed it, three times now. The problem is more they have broken it four times :|

Testing that streams play would be a good feature to add to their regression testing.

wildfire

Banned
LOL at Runescape at #10 and it's a new entry. I loved playing that game but I just can't see how that game is watchable. Even Ultima Online had better options for spectating by virtue of using an over the top isometric view. Runescape has no draw distance to speak of.

Orayn

Ustream being the only confirmed streaming service so far does not mean it'll be the only service at all. Even if it is, PS4 streaming would light a fire under Ustream's rear and motivate them to be more competitive with Twitch.

Mr Jared

Wait, so has it been confirmed that the PS4 wont be using Twitch???

Yeah. It's like choosing Myspace over Facebook. Not in terms of popularity, just is worse.

No, it hasn't. In fact, Ustream has already gone on record saying the deal is not exclusive. I also don't see Ustream on PlayStation doing much of anything to encourage them to take gaming seriously, as I explained in an earlier post. They had the entire world of broadcast gaming in their fingertips years before Twitch even existed and they purposefully chose to neglect it because gaming "didn't fit their portfolio." Looking at their homepage right now, I don't see that changing.

Mr Jared

My bad, didn't see that. What does this mean on Sony's end? Ustream might not care for gaming streams, but surely PS4 users will only stream that kind of stuff instead of anything else that would incur copyright.

I have my own predictions and theories on how exactly broadcasting via PS4 is going to work, but I'd imagine that, at the bare minimum, you wouldn't be allowed to broadcast (or manipulate anything via the share button) without actively being engaged in a game. It's far too risky, if you use your imagination ;)

I have my own predictions and theories on how exactly broadcasting via PS4 is going to work, but I'd imagine that, at the bare minimum, you wouldn't be allowed to broadcast (or manipulate anything via the share button) without actively being engaged in a game. It's far too risky, if you use your imagination ;)

Sounds like OnLive. I haven't kept up, but is PS4 built to share videos on youtube rather than just streams? I know some games have already tried that, instead of their own proprietary players (Halo, Skate).

Dec

LOL at Runescape at #10 and it's a new entry. I loved playing that game but I just can't see how that game is watchable. Even Ultima Online had better options for spectating by virtue of using an over the top isometric view. Runescape has no draw distance to speak of.

They opened a server dedicated to 2007 Runescape where people have to completely start over, but it'll never be updated. The game has been monetized to shit these days so the community has been really loving it.

They are upgrading the game to html5 this year which enables unlimited draw distance.

sunnz

Ustream has a LONG way to go, the layout and style, especially for gaming streams, is just terrible.

Ustream will need a lot more than just ps4 to even compare to twitch, they need some of that LoL and MOBA streamers.

Twitch's layout is amazing for games, Ustream, because it's mixing everything, will never have that dedicated gaming stream site.

Mr Jared

I thought I saw in VGCW chat yesterday that WWE13 had passed Minecraft or something on the Most Watched Games list.

Whenever Bazza goes live, WWE'13 rockets up the directory and into the top ten. The same goes for Super Mario 64 whenever Siglemic goes live. There are definitely broadcasters who prop up entire games by themselves.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I probably watch more Twitch.tv streams than actual TV.
Spooky, IPW, etc
Watching floe right now while i cook!

Hey Jared can you change my twitch.tv username? Someone got Fersis but doesnt use it >8(

I live on Twitch.TV. I use it to watch pros in games i follow. Let's play in games I did play or want to be nostalgic for or watch people play new games I'm curious about. It's a great service but I'm there with the people asking for a better android app.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Sounds like OnLive. I haven't kept up, but is PS4 built to share videos on youtube rather than just streams? I know some games have already tried that, instead of their own proprietary players (Halo, Skate).

Well they haven't announced the share button will let us upload to YouTube, they've only shown Facebook as far as I know, but seeing as other PS3/360 games have done it without a problem the hope is YouTube will be there too.

In hopin Twitch will be universal rather than some annoying MS deal, while it is only speculation currently no big company like MS should get their hands on a website like Twitch that as this topic shows is really developing a great community, it should be for everyone on every platform.

G-Fex

Are you saying you'd like to be the owner of it? :D

It's being worked on and there's an active beta program with the new version. Also currently an update under review.

yeah yeah yeah let wario be in charge of it, so long as I'm a member to since i'm a active streamer.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
What does it mean to own it? I don't feel comfortable owning it unless Evilore is cool with it, I dunno, lol

I'm pretty sure there's someone better at Twitch than me anyway

Mr Jared

What does it mean to own it? I don't feel comfortable owning it unless Evilore is cool with it, I dunno, lol

I'm pretty sure there's someone better at Twitch than me anyway

I'll DM you in a bit. There just has to be an account that is seen as the Team Leader, who can make changes to the team page itself. It can always be changed later.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I probably watch more Twitch.tv streams than actual TV.
Spooky, IPW, etc
Watching floe right now while i cook!

Hey Jared can you change my twitch.tv username? Someone got Fersis but doesnt use it >8(
I so badly wish I could change my name too.

Gaf group would be cool. I try to stream alot.

Are you saying you'd like to be the owner of it? :D

It's being worked on and there's an active beta program with the new version. Also currently an update under review.
Good to hear about the app, I watch twitch daily especially when working at home and at night on my iPad, when it works!

Into

I never really fully 100% watch something on Twitch, i just put it on my second screen, either Kripp for PoE or Reckful for WoW Arena

Tried watching some Black Ops 2 and other FPS games but they are just not all that entertaining to watch, much like i never found esports FPS fun to watch

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Youtube should challenge them.

From what i experienced youtube stream are really stable and win.

Youtube requires the users to adhere to copyright, most streams play music and you can't do that on Youtube.
I only wish Twitch could make a functioning iPad app.

Has always been junk.

Never really had an issue with it, plays streams just fine for me.

Youtube requires the users to adhere to copyright, most streams play music and you can't do that on Youtube.

Never really had an issue with it, plays streams just fine for me.
I don't think you're suppose to play mainstream music on twitch either but it happens, I see people with subs and adverts playing album stuff now and again, if no one checks then they get away with it. Maybe youtube has more workers checking more often then twitch does.

The latest iOS update kind of broke it completely for a lot of users (thankfully my iphone 5 still has the build before installed) and it's been something like a month now waiting for a fix, it sucks because I use that app near daily, love me a bit of twitch. Honestly I only use my tv now for a little sport or the bbc 24hour news channel.

Android app might still be functional but I don't have any modern android stuff.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
A GAF Twitch team would be nice. I've only watched Kadey and Slasher stream, but would check out any others if they were playing something interesting.

If we get a gaf team on twitch i'd be for joining, I play ABC score attacks and trying to speedrun dust an elysian tail when it's not crashing :p

Top Bottom