• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your PC controller of choice?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
DS3 over Bluetooth, emulating a 360 controller via MotioninJoy. Not quite as plug-n-play as just using a 360 controller (have to manually enable 360 emulation via the software), but works perfectly once it's up and running.

Tekku

I have used both DS3 with MotionInJoy and a wired 360 controller. I prefer the 360 controller mainly because of the compatibility. The game interface changes instantly when you plug it in and you don't run into wierd bugs like with MotionInJoy.

PS3 controller with MotionInJoy. It's just lighter than the X360 one, and the D-pad doesn't suck.

Oddly enought, though:

PS3 controller

Because while 360 controller is better for shooters, i just use my mouse+keyboard for those. But if i am playing Super Meat Boy i want to use the d pad, and the 360 dpad is...well...a piece of work.

Just prefer PS3 controller for specific genres and it works fine, mouse+keyboard does the rest.

I played the entirety of Super Meat Boy with a 360 controller, and it played really well. The trick is that I used the analog, which for some reason felt really great with it.

Barnzini

Neo Member
I always thought the PS3 controllers were a bit iffy on PC's so i just bought a wired 360 controller knowing it'll work drama free.

Weird thing is i've never owned a xbox and it took me awhile to get used to the controllers layout....I still prefer the DS3. After reading through this thread i will try out the MotionInJoy app.

PhilGPT

I used a wired 360 controller for a while, then I got a Logitech Chillstream as a present and have been using it ever since.

I wouldn't recommend the Razer Onza. I've been thru 3 Onza TE's in the last two months... always the same problem, right trigger stops working after a few of days.

Either I have bad luck with Razer products (1 keyboard, 1 mouse and 3 gamepads have died) or Razer's quality control is shit lately.

My wired 360 controller works with no issues. On screen button prompts are already set up for it as well, with every game I've played so far.

I don't know if MS fixed the d-pad for their standard controller recently but I have no issues throwing fireballs in Street Fighter like I do with my older Xbox 360 console controllers.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Anything that needs analog sticks or more buttons (Dark Souls PC): PS2 controller with USB adapter. I tried using a PS3 controller but I've heard bad spyware-ish things about MotionInJoy.
Anything that has less buttons but needs more precision (Super Meat Boy, Touhou games): Arcade stick.

DS3 on my desktop with Motioninjoy. Mostly because the lights around the jewel in the 360 controller blink constantly and make a beeping sound through headphones that drives me crazy.

360 controller on my Win 8 laptop, because it works well.

Banned
360 controller has the best compatibility. In a lot of Steam games, you can just plug it in and have at it.
First post nails it. I bought the black wired one to match my PC case and I prefer wired connection around all my PC equipment.

Raw64life

Saturn USB pad for certain games.

wireless-gamepad-f710feature-image.png

Logitech F710.

Wireless and with rumble feature. Nice rubber padding on the back for those sweaty moments, robust springs in the triggers. D-pad can be a little bit iffy at times, but other than that it's a great gamepad.

This for everything else. Although the signal drops can be annoying sometimes. Having considering getting a DS3 + Motionjoy for a while. Might pull the trigger when Dark Souls II comes out.

I used a wired 360 controller for a while, then I got a Logitech Chillstream as a present and have been using it ever since.

I wouldn't recommend the Razer Onza. I've been thru 3 Onza TE's in the last two months... always the same problem, right trigger stops working after a few of days.

Either I have bad luck with Razer products (1 keyboard, 1 mouse and 3 gamepads have died) or Razer's quality control is shit lately.

i agree, went trough 2 Onza's before i just said fuck it, biggest piece of shit i've ever had in my hands..
Never buying a razor product again.

If anything, it seems to have more customization options. Watch the video on the "Support" page.

Yeah they were on the edit profile section. They seem to be the exact ones though minus the turbo/auto options, so less, not more.

Still not sure I wanna take away the developers income though. I'll probably just keep using DS3 Tool as I've never had any problems with it.

Stet

Banned
The 360-for-Windows controller seemed like such a waste for how expensive it was and the fact that other than the dongle it's literally the same as a regular 360 controller, but I'll be damned if it wasn't the best gaming purchase I've ever made.

Kokonoe

Banned
SNES controller via USB adapter for 2D games.

Retrode or one of those 10$ dollar USB adapters work perfectly, and well, the SNES controller is certainly one of the best DPad controllers.

360 controller wireless for 3D games.

I prefer the PS3 sticks for certain games, but the sheer compatibility the 360 controller has and the ease of use since it's microsoft brand is much less of a hassle than messing with those motioninjoy drivers, especially for wireless.

Tenrius

Logitech F710.

Wireless and with rumble feature. Nice rubber padding on the back for those sweaty moments, robust springs in the triggers. D-pad can be a little bit iffy at times, but other than that it's a great gamepad.

This. Great gamepad, works with my PS3 too. It has two modes: XInput (in which it acts as a 360 controller) and DirectInput.

Ploid 3.0

Dual Shock 3 emulating 360 via motion joy so it's compatible with a lot of games.

Really looking forward to Dual Shock 4 support asap. I hope the motionjoy guys jump all over that. I want that controller.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
saturnusbkb2e.jpg

I have 4 of them... such a shame that they're no longer available as they are probably the best controllers ever made (along with the 360 pad).

Ivan

DS3 + MotionJoy. I'm still waiting for a solution to automate that clicking on "enable" process. If there is one, please let me know.

Logitech F710.

Best option for no wires / dongles (it uses a version of the micro connector Logitechs mice use).

Only issue is signal can be dropped if you sit more than a few feet away from the receiver.

Another vote for the F710/510. I've had an F710 for maybe eight months and I wouldn't swap it for any other controller. In the house we've got a wired 360 pad (uncomfortable round buttons with unsatisfying action, horrible spongy shoulder buttons, nasty sticks that wander off-centre) and a PS3 pad which my partner uses with Motioninjoy.

After eight months the sticks on the F710 are still responsive and tight and never lose calibration. The flat face buttons and the clickly shoulder buttons are fantastic, and the stiff triggers (my least favourite part) have loosened and are now very comfortable. I have pretty bad joint problems and find it a comfortable and reliable pad to use for long periods of time; I played through all of Bioshock Infinite with it, playing 3-4 hours without break at a time.

It does drop signal now and then if you're too far away from the receiver. I just have the USB dongle on an extension and sit it on the desk right in front of me, and I never have a problem. If that sounds like a pain, you can get the F510, which is just a 710 with a wire (and it's slightly cheaper).

99% of games recognise it as a 360 controller, including every new game I've played from the last several years. The last one to require any fiddling to get working was Assassin's Creed 2, I think.

Jawmuncher

360 for me. The compatibility it has just works.
Love starting a game and the prompts going to 360 controls.

The PS3 controller just isn't as straightforward to use personally.

A wired 360 pad for most of the big stuff because I know it'll accept it instantly and I can play straight away.

I also have a PSX-like pad (no analog, d-pad only) for doujin games and shmups because I just can't seem to be able to play them with anything else.

Bottom line, it helps to have choices!

Wow 3 pages and no one has mentioned that Motionjoy is no longer needed.

I use a ds3 with this http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInp...-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller?pid=281823#pid281823

Its freaking amazing, no need to open frontends or anything, once paired during install, all you do is press the ps button and it automatically connects to your PC emulating a 360 control so it works in all games right away.

Works with usb and/or bluetooth.

And who would use an actual 360 controller on a PC, the pad is useless for 2d games.

didamangi

Logitech F710 for most of my games, nice features like direct input and xinput switch for compatibility, rubber grip and a better dpad than 360 controller. Only negative is the wireless range is not that good for me.

And Street Fighter Anniversary Controller + USB adapter for retro/platformer/fighting games, good dpad and I got it for cheap.

I have 4 of them... such a shame that they're no longer available as they are probably the best controllers ever made (along with the 360 pad).

Play-asia now sells saturn to pc usb adapter so you can use the original saturn controller on your pc.

Jockel

I use a ds3 with this http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInp...-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller?pid=281823#pid281823

Its freaking amazing, no need to open frontends or anything, once paired during install, all you do is press the ps button and it automatically connects to your PC emulating a 360 control so it works in all games right away.

And who would use an actual 360 controller on a PC, the pad is useless for 2d games.
Is it lag-free? And can I easilly re-pair it for switching between PS3 and PC use?

I'm rocking Saturn USB for 2D and wireless 360 for 3D games.

Jawmuncher

False. Maybe for fighters but everything worked fine. I beat SMB with the damn thing so its definitely not worthless.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
For a good while I was using my DualShock 2 with x360ce, and I still do for d-pad intensive games, but I recently got a wired 360 pad and I gotta say the shape, the sticks, and the triggers are really quite nice. It's also nice to have rumble working in all the console ports.

SteveWD40

8cZKU.gif

You are a god, going to try this later.

Top Bottom