• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Take on no GBA eShop on 3DS

This is a thread that I wanted to make a while ago, but I was a Junior member at the time and so I couldn't, but here it is! I don't work at Nintendo, but I'd like to see someone poke any good holes in the whole thing. This ALSO applies to the DS VC that I see some people asking for.

I see a whole bunch of people talking about "Woe is us, Nintendo won't release the GBA on eShop! Noooo!" And talking about how they are so lazy and yadda yadda yadda. I've tried to make this as a singular post before, but it usually gets drowned out in everything else, so here we go:

The main reason that, I feel, is that the 3DS isn't emulating the GBA at all. We all know how Nintendo did Wii BC on the Wii U: it downclocks itself, and then runs the code natively. This allows for a host of advantages, namely perfect speed, compatibility, and errorless execution. It does however, come with a few disadvantages; it can't access anything Wii U specific. No controllers, no Gamepad, and no OS or Miiverse. Based on this, we can see a very large number of similarities between this and the 3DS's implementation of GBA VC. Looking at it, there are no savestates, no sleep, no wireless, no OS, and all in all, no enhancements whatsoever. The most we get is deciding between full screen and blown up, but as we can see with the DS/i compatibility, that appears to actually be hardware based, not software. In fact, the ONLY thing that the 3DS does other than a real deal GBA, is the bottom screen displays a message, and allows you to back out of the game, which still doesn't pause or affect the GBA game in any way.
The GBA, DS, and 3DS all have one major similarity: they all have ARM CPUs. Just like the Wii U has a turbocharged Wii CPU, which in turn has a turbocharged GCN CPU, it's highly likely that the 3DS can natively run DS and GBA code. The 3DS is dual core, so I'd wager that it's actually the second core running the very small bit of background work, being the warning message and the reboot menu. IIRC, the GBA loaded the entire game into RAM during the bootup, and the 3DS probably hands the ROM into some RAM and runs it as such, and simply has a .sav in the location the GBA thinks the battery is.

tl;dr It's not emulating GBA, it's running it AS a GBA.

So why does it do this? Why not just... I don't know, emulate it?
It's probably just not powerful enough. I've... dabbled... into DS based flashcarts, and one of my greatest dreams was to play any GBA game on there that I wished. I got that, but before that I experimented with way too many things and found, rather unfortunately, that the DS cannot emulate a DS. It's simply too weak, and the only way is to get it to run it natively. Even with the DSTwo, a cart heralded as one that could do GBA emulation on its own, was full of choppy framerates and bad compatibility, and that was with a whole extra CPU to help it.
The 3DS, while easily powerful enough to get past DSTwo levels of speed/compatibility, probably just isn't quite powerful enough to run GBA games to the level they want. Nintendo wants it damn perfect, to a flaw. They trickle releases on the VC, and a large bit of why is they recode every emulator for perfect running. A general purpose emulator (what Sony does) simply isn't good enough for them, I suppose.

tl;dr - Not quite strong enough for what Nintendo wants out of it on this front.

So why doesn't Nintendo let people freely download the native running VC versions?
Probably to save face, in its own way. The Virtual Console has a list of features, save states, pausing, working with the OS, etc etc, and these features don't exist on the GBA VC. I feel Nintendo doesn't want to do that, since a lot of people would be confused, or cry laziness, and all sorts of things that Nintendo doesn't want. It's probably much better, in their eyes, to keep them as a specific reward for those who bought the system early. They also assume that people who were early adopters would be Nintendo's loyalists, by and large, and would not be the easily confused mass market.
I DO however think they did try to get it working as an emulated VC, instead of native code. We were promised GBA VC "soon" after the Ambassador program, but it took all the way until December before we actually got it, and even then it was a close call. That's quite a bit of time to work out .sav and RAM passthrough, eh? They were probably working on the emulation based model before they had to fall back to this version.
tl;dr, stupid confused people.

The overall tl;dr of this is a combination of technical limitations and stupid confusable consumers. If anyone knows that any of this is specifically wrong, let me know, but I still see a lot of people bashing on Nintendo for this, even though it's likely the best route they could have gone with, when factoring the non-enthusiast market.
And please, stop yelling at Nintendo for this. Maybe petition them to say we aren't all retarded consumers, or that it really wouldn't be that confusing if two of these games ran slightly different than their NES games.

EDIT: Summary for people who can't be bothered to read/or I explained it too badly to understand.
There are two ways of accomplishing running a game. One way is through Emulation, which is what Sony does. Emulation allows you to have it set up where you can add features, such as filters, save states, and other things of that nature. HOWEVER, emulation is not only far from perfect, but is also highly demanding! A PSP can play a GBA game, but is far from perfect on many titles -- reason why is because more accuracy = more required horsepower.
The other way is to simply run it as native code. This provides PERFECT speed, compatibility, and sound, while only taking the exact power required of the original system (if your system is equal or stronger, it's perfect). It has a few major disadvantages, however. The first is it requires a FULLY COMPATIBLE HARDWARE. Without it, you can't even think about it. It'd be like opening a .exe on your Android phone, but even more incompatible. It ALSO limits the game to only the features of the original system. GBA games can't sleep, and neither DS or GBA can use the Home Menu. That's because those games weren't programmed with a Home Menu or Sleep in mind.

Sony uses Emulation, Nintendo (for Wii, DS, and GBA) uses Native code.

Onemic

This is why I use my Vita for my gba games now.

Also there's no way the 3DS isn't powerful enough to emulate gba games. The original psp could, and the 3DS is more powerful than a psp. There's no reason it can't be released on VC. It's just incompetence.

Sophia

This is why I use my Vita for my gba games now.

Also there's no way the 3DS isn't powerful enough to emulate gba games. The original psp could, and the 3DS is more powerful than a psp. There's no reason it can't be released on VC. It's just incompetence.

It's probably not powerful enough for the accurate emulation that Nintendo wants out of it. Or there's some other technical issues; Sound for example.

kQ3S.jpg

Chopper

Of course the 3DS is powerful enough to emulate GBA. I think the reason they haven't released them officially is a cross between incompetence and to give Ambassadors some sense of superiority.

There is no way in hell that the 3DS is not powerful enough to run a native emulator if they pulled their finger out. The Wii can do N64, this should be able to do GBA.

Real reason?

I am the average consumer. Should I buy this;
Or this?
250px-AriaofSorrowCover.jpg

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

tl;dr Nintendo are greedy and will try to get as much out of the GB games as possible before they move on, and they will move on.

Of course the 3DS is powerful enough to emulate GBA. I think the reason they haven't released them officially is a cross between incompetence and to give Ambassadors some sense of superiority.

They're a business. Ambassador thing is fine and well, but it was about a year and a half ago now. People have moved on, they won't care that the benefits they were never entitled to anyway for spending £70 more mean less now.

GulAtiCa

It might be more likely they don't have the time needed to perfect the GBA emulation on 3DS yet (busy with everything else in such). That's my assumption at least.

Onemic

It's probably not powerful enough for the accurate emulation that Nintendo wants out of it. Or there's some other technical issues; Sound for example.

But how about the ambassador program? I have all the gba games they gave to those of us who got screwed buying it on launch.

Tenki

I have an even better theory:

1. They release Earthbound (Mother 2) on the eShop this year.
2. Next year they'll release Mother on the Wii U NES VC and Mother 3 on the Wii U GBA VC.
3. Holidays 2014. Mother 4. Wii U exclusive.
4. ????
5. Profit.

There you have, the Nintendo Mother Machine™.

Berordn

I'm sure it has to do with the way GBA code is currently handled on the 3DS like you said, it's very inelegant with odd screen brightness issues and no way to suspend... something they could fix down the line, but are going to hold off on to push the Wii U a little more right now.

What about my 10 ambassador GBA games on my 3DS?! Those run fine, what's the problem?

I think what the OP is getting at is those 10 games were cherry picked because they run flawless, while some other titles might not emulate or play correctly on the 3DS method of running gba games.

I would think that gba titles would sell well so there must be some kind of big reason why nintendo have not done this yet.

Onemic

He explained this in the OP; they're not being emulated

Then it's incompetence. A company that knows the ins and outs of its system shouldnt have trouble emulating gba games when the homebrew community can do it in less time.

Berordn

Then it's incompetence. A company that knows the ins and outs of its system shouldnt have trouble emulating gba games when the homebrew community can do it in less time.

There's no real reason to emulate GBA code when the system is still capable of running it natively.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Lord, a few posts in and people are already derailing the topic because they didn't read.

On topic, however, I'm not sure exactly why the GBA games play as they do. I figured it was because in order to emulate them, Nintendo would have to put a small team of people on it. A team that could be used better.

I think what the OP is getting at is those 10 games were cherry picked because they run flawless, while some other titles might not emulate or play correctly on the 3DS method of running gba games.

I would think that gba titles would sell well so there must be some kind of big reason why nintendo have not done this yet.

What I'm saying is that ANY game would run flawlessly, if limited to the GBA's capabilities. But people are expecting them to have full parity with the NES/GB VC, which they can't, so they don't release it.

Emulation is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY different from running code natively. This issue is based wholly on that difference.
Emulation is inherently imperfect. We just now got damn near super computers running SNES perfectly. A handheld system won't perfectly run a semi-recent predecessor.

tsab

2. Next year they'll release Mother on the Wii U NES VC and Mother 3 on the Wii U GBA VC.
4. ????
5. Profit.

xqefEH.jpg

Futureman

whatever the issue, they should figure it out, because having low cost games like GBA titles to combat $1 smartphone games is good business.

I sold my 3DS in November 2011. Just looked the 3DS VC list and it's crazy how little has been added since then. I want more 3D Classics and SNES.

El Sincejas

Neo Member
My ambassador Minish Cap runs just fine. No 3d (beautiful) depth like those gb and gbc vc games on eshop (that are emulated on a 1:1 resolution if you hold start when you launch).

4. ????
5. Profit.

Mother Fuckers. They won't do this.

No, if it's as most people say and the GBA emulation is running via the DS BC part of the 3DS (likely since it has the same non-suspend thing and the same weird brightness) then all games would run flawlessly, you just wouldn't be able to suspend them.

My other take (apart from Nintendo trying to squeeze every penny out of black and white era) is that they're trying to perfect that feature set. They didn't launch the Wii U VC till it could be played on the tablet, until it could take advantage of everything the Wii U had to offer. This will be the same story in my opinion.

My ambassador Minish Cap runs just fine. No 3d (beautiful) depth like those gb and gbc vc games on eshop (that are emulated on a 1:1 resolution if you hold start when you launch).

It runs fine because it is being run natively.
It doesn't have the beautiful 3D depth because it isn't being emulated.

Josh7289

Is it possible for them to have the GBA games natively running on the hardware but also use some of the 'extra' hardware that the GBA games don't use to provide some sort of meta-software/hypervisor thing to retain 3DS UI features? I mean, the PS3 does it when natively playing PS1 and (for launch PS3s) PS2 games.

Is it possible for them to have the GBA games natively running on the hardware but also use some of the 'extra' hardware that the GBA games don't use to provide some sort of meta-software/hypervisor thing to retain 3DS UI features? I mean, the PS3 does it when natively playing PS1 and (for launch PS3s) PS2 games.

The PS1 games, actually, are software emulated. Thus why you get features like the filtering and the "disk speed" thing. But since it's emulation, some of those settings can cause games like Wild Arms to crash harder than Win95.
I never had a BC PS3, so I don't know about the PS2. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but hardware emulation might not be quite the same as natively running it.

They do actually use extra hardware, it's just that the only thing they can do without train crashing the GBA game is have the reboot option on the bottom screen. Slamming the brakes on the game to pull the 3DS menu up while the software isn't designed to do that might cause quite a few issues.

EDIT: I'll edit the OP for one more summative tl;dr, and then stop responding to people who fail to read.

Eyothrie

Just because there are no savestates, no sleep, no wireless, no OS etc etc does not mean they're not being emulated. This same lack of functionality came with the NES ambassador games too. But we saw each of the NES games receive an update adding this functionality when they became available for purchase.

tsab

To answer the OP,
they are incompetent to code and emulate it (and stuff generally) with those specs. See 3DS' and WiiU's launch OS.

The "go to backwards compatible mode" ala DS mode to run the roms without the extra features of the 3DS, like multitasking or even FREAKING SLEEPING doesn't made them good enough for commercial sale.

I mean I even hate that the DS mode lacks those features.

Don't get me started regarding the lack of savestates, adhoc for multiplayer etc

I always figured that the GBA and DS games were treated as one and the same by the 3DS at hardware level. This seems to fit in with my assumption.

It just boils my blood that they're skipping 3DS entirely and going to Wii U. It makes no sense whatsoever, especially considering that the 3DS VC is anemic, disappointing, and sparsely supported as fuck.

I'd have zero issue with buying them now in "no suspend BC mode" and upgrading later. At least we'd be able to buy them! Most GBA games had progressed past the point of needing save states anyway, so who give a shit.

Alfredo

The PSP could emulate the GBA. I'm sure the 3DS could, too.

As for emulation not being "perfect" enough for Nintendo, I dunno. Their VC emulation is far from perfect. Their N64 emulator can't even emulate memory or rumble pak support. I've been playing Super Mario RPG on the VC, and the sound emulation is faaaar from optimal.

So, yeah, I have no idea what the real reason for this is.

Teggy

I just want to be able to play SNES games that are on Wii VC (Super Metroid, Super Mario RPG, etc.) It's just silly.

I'm of the opinion that if something is easy to do, it would already be done. I simply don't know how it got into people's heads that perfect emulation of a hardware platform is a matter of flipping a switch. All these people saying the 3DS should have no issue emulating the GBA simply have no answer (that isn't pure hyperbole) to -why- Nintendo wouldn't have done it already if it were so easy.

backlot

I agree that the reason GBA games aren't on sale right now is because Nintendo is unhappy with the quality of presentation of the Ambassador games. I think the fact that they're supposedly going to bring GBA to the Wii U instead of the 3DS probably says a lot. If they were able to, I'm sure they'd be selling them on 3DS too. "They don't want to piss off people they already gave a bunch of free games to" doesn't seem like a realistic excuse to me.

Just because there are no savestates, no sleep, no wireless, no OS etc etc does not mean they're not being emulated. This same lack of functionality came with the NES ambassador games too. But we saw each of the NES games receive an update adding this functionality when they became available for purchase.

The NES games never turned off the 3DS OS. If they were emulating the GBA games why would they turn off the extra functionality?

Josh7289

The PS1 games, actually, are software emulated. Thus why you get features like the filtering and the "disk speed" thing. But since it's emulation, some of those settings can cause games like Wild Arms to crash harder than Win95.
I never had a BC PS3, so I don't know about the PS2. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but hardware emulation might not be quite the same as natively running it.

They do actually use extra hardware, it's just that the only thing they can do without train crashing the GBA game is have the reboot option on the bottom screen. Slamming the brakes on the game to pull the 3DS menu up while the software isn't designed to do that might cause quite a few issues.

EDIT: I'll edit the OP for one more summative tl;dr, and then stop responding to people who fail to read.

I see. That makes sense. I suppose the PS3 playing PS1 and PS2 games might not be fully running on native hardware, but instead running on software that takes advantage of the fact that some of the processors used in the PS1/2 (or PS2 only, and only on launch PS3s, I don't know) are actually available on the PS3. So it's like emulation backed up by real hardware, whereas the 3DS playing GBA games is just purely running natively on GBA hardware.

Still, though... There might be a way to do it PS3-style. Nintendo would just have to not rely 100% on the GBA hardware inside the 3DS, but use it to help out the software emulation instead. Then the question I guess is whether the 3DS is powerful enough to do that. Who knows. Maybe Nintendo is working on just that and that's why GBA VC on 3DS is still not available.

tsab

The PSP could emulate the GBA. I'm sure the 3DS could, too.

As for emulation not being "perfect" enough for Nintendo, I dunno. Their VC emulation is far from perfect. Their N64 emulator can't even emulate memory or rumble pak support. I've been playing Super Mario RPG on the VC, and the sound emulation is faaaar from optimal.

So, yeah, I have no idea what the real reason for this is.

Additionally, Nintendo haven't emulated yet SuperFX and SA1 acceleration chips. So still no Yoshi's Island for example :s

tuffy

Even the early NES ambassador games supported 3DS sleep and wireless functionality while the game was running. Those features are basically free while the 3DS OS is running underneath. But since the GBA titles shut those down and act more like DS games, it's a safe assumption they're leveraging DS mode features to work.

Berordn

I see. That makes sense. I suppose the PS3 playing PS1 and PS2 games might not be fully running on native hardware, but instead running on software that takes advantage of the fact that some of the processors used in the PS1/2 (or PS2 only, and only on launch PS3s, I don't know) are actually available on the PS3. So it's like emulation backed up by real hardware, whereas the 3DS playing GBA games is just purely running natively on GBA hardware.

Still, though... There might be a way to do it PS3-style. Nintendo would just have to not rely 100% on the GBA hardware inside the 3DS, but use it to help out the software emulation instead. Then the question I guess is whether the 3DS is powerful enough to do that. Who knows. Maybe Nintendo is working on just that and that's why GBA VC on 3DS is still not available.

The 3DS's DS mode has some 3DS specific hooks for sure, the home and power buttons invoke 3DS specific screens and remain functional even when everything else is off. GBA mode has specific functions for the bottom screen (which is currently just a message telling you about the lack of suspend) and hitting the home button brings up the same message as it does in DS mode, so it's likely running natively there.

The fact that those exist seem to imply that the 3DS could have some extra hooks and eventually run GBA code without disabling the rest of the 3DS functions, but it's probably on the back of their to-do list considering there's a pretty hefty lineup of 3DS games coming out and the WiiU needs it more than the 3DS does.

M3d10n

The OP is correct: GBA games are run using a modified DS BC mode. The 3DS has four firmwares: two 3DS-mode firmware (standard and safe-mode), the DSi/DS mode firmware and the GBA mode firmware.

The DS BC mode only has a suspend feature because the DS already had a standard one. Pressing "home" in a DS game on a 3DS merely trigger a "lid closed" command. If you do it while playing a multiplayer game, like Mario Kart, the game will not be paused and still runs in the background.

I'm of the opinion that if something is easy to do, it would already be done. I simply don't know how it got into people's heads that perfect emulation of a hardware platform is a matter of flipping a switch. All these people saying the 3DS should have no issue emulating the GBA simply have no answer (that isn't pure hyperbole) to -why- Nintendo wouldn't have done it already if it were so easy.

Sure many people have said it. They want to milk their early GB stuff first before releasing the superior GBA games that will make the GB games all but obsolete.

Additionally, Nintendo haven't emulated yet SuperFX and SA1 acceleration chips. So still no Yoshi's Island for example :s

Super Mario RPG is on the virtual console, it uses the SA-1 chip.

Yoshi's Island is one of 3 (or was it 4?) games officially released that used the SuperFX2.

Also, the OP's theory is ridiculous, the GBA uses a 16mhz arm7 processor. The arm inside the 3DS is 100% compatible, all of the non-ARM parts not included in the 3DS are very easily emulated (the GBC sound chip that the GBA uses for many games, for example, would be beyond trivial, 256K ram is also a total non-issue).

It HAS already been done for the 10 Ambassador GBA games that were released.

It's not 100% perfect emulation, but other than systems with the old systems chip inside of it, no emulation is "perfect."
What the Ambassadors have is more than playable, even if a few graphical tweaks would be appreciated (Yoshi's Island and Metroid Fusion could definitely look a bit better. It woul dbe more than perfect for playing Advance Wars, that's for sure.

Muku

As an Ambassador, we've had the games a while. They're awesome. But I really think if there is any thought in their heads they should keep them for us only, they're sorely mistaken. They can even release the ones we have. I've had my fair share of time with them before everyone else. So I really hope they aren't doing this to everyone for that as a reason.

Josh7289

What's going on with GameCube emulation on Wii U, is it the same issue?

I would assume so. The Wii U has Wii hardware in it (or the Wii U is essentially souped up Wii hardware; I'm not sure), and the Wii is essentially souped up GameCube hardware. So the Wii U could probably run GameCube games natively, but there'd be no way to control the games without GameCube controller ports on the system, so Nintendo has got to find some way around that. Unless the Wii U can actually emulate GameCube games, but that would probably be very tough.

Or none of the above will work out and they'll give up on GameCube VC on Wii U.

As an Ambassador, we've had the games a while. They're awesome. But I really think if there is any thought in their heads they should keep them for us only, they're sorely mistaken. They can even release the ones we have. I've had my fair share of time with them before everyone else. So I really hope they aren't doing this to everyone for that as a reason.

Plus the ambassadors got them for free where others would have to pay.

Top Bottom