• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Vortex566

Just got to the first sub-mission and I'm finding it hard to level up Donny. Darn, if this is chapter 4, then what will chapter 5 be like?

Just got to the first sub-mission and I'm finding it hard to level up Donny. Darn, if this is chapter 4, then what will chapter 5 be like?

As some have already pointed out. Pair him up with someone strong and let him stab archers (or enemies with 1-2 HP left) and you will be able to level him up decently.

zoukka

storafötter;55761744 said:
As some have already pointed out. Pair him up with someone strong and let him stab archers (or enemies with 1-2 HP left) and you will be able to level him up decently.

I killed
Marth
with Donny, dat 2 damage strike!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Quick instruction on the class change seals and when to use them?

I got one or two and my chars are getting past level 10, so wanna make sure I don't make mistakes.

I'm going to make this one last detailed post about using seals. Then I'll just link to it from now on.

Starting with the summary/tl;dr version:

Master Seals promote a unit in a base class (tactician, lord, cavalier, etc) into an advanced/promoted class (grandmaster, great lord, great knight, etc). In general it is best to use a Master Seal either 1) when a unit hits level 20 (not 10) in their base class, or 2) after the unit has started to hit their stat caps (green stat numbers) in their base class.

Second Seals are new in FE Awakening, and change a character to another class. You can change to any base class available to that character, and as a promoted unit you can reclass into other promoted classes after level 10. As a level 20 unit, you can reclass back to the same class you were in to keep gaining experience.

In general, it is better to reclass with Second Seals as soon as possible to enter the class you want to get to. So for example, if you want your avatar to go to mercenary for Armsthrift, it's most effective to do it as a level 10 tactician.

Now the "why" part:

For Master Seals, when you promote a character the game automatically assumes you were level 20. When you go from Lord -> Great Lord, even if at level 10, the game will treat the unit as level 1 (displayed level) + 20 (base class levels) unit. This affects your experience gain, so if you promote at level 10, your unit will be a level ~11 unit statistically, but gain experience at the rate of a level 21 unit. This means those levels were effectively skipped, and less frequent levels relative to your stats will make the game more difficult.

Second Seals are more complicated. In terms of when you should use them they are basically the opposite of a Master Seal - if possible putting off a Master Seal as long as possible will lead to better stat growths for your character. On the other hand, using a Second Seal sooner rather than later will benefit your experience growth in the long run and help you collect skills faster.

To keep reclassing balanced the game keeps track of all your levels in previous classes through an "internal level." Each time you use a Second Seal, the game adds levels to this internal level, which combined with your displayed level (+20 as a promoted unit) determines your experience growth. The exact formula for the internal level is:

(displayed level [+20 if promoted] - 1) / 2, rounded down.

This means your levels early on in the game will be the fastest and easiest levels to get. If you are concerned about stats, you can take advantage of this and reclass frequently early on. Not only is this useful for gaining both stats and base class skills, but you will actually level faster this way than just getting to level 20.

Say you reclass at level 10, that adds 4 internal levels and you become level 1, so you gain experience at the rate of a level 5 character. But statistically you are level 10. You get to level 10 in this second class and reclass again. This adds 4 more levels to your internal level (so 8 levels), and you are level 1 again, so you will gain experience as a level 9 unit despite being statistically level 20.

This isn't really as good for skills for promoted classes since the minimum you are adding to your internal level is 10 with each reclass. While promoted units can reclass at any time, most of their best skills come at level 15 meaning you are looking at 17 internal levels. Still, you should reclass ASAP rather than holding off until 20 - Level 5 if you just want the level 5 skill and go back to a base class, level 10 if you want to go to another promoted class immediately, and level 15 if you want that skill.

It's also worth noting that each difficulty level has a cap on the internal level. For normal mode it's 20, for hard it's 30, and for lunatic it's 50.

Draxal

Only unpromoted class that it worth doing on is merc (actually it's worth doing for tactician to get veteran on the second gen kid as well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Going mercenary is good for the avatar? I might have to go for that.

Mercenary is good for anyone with access to it, Armsthrift is a great skill since you can get more usage out of your better weapons. It also makes forging much more worthwhile.

Plus you can promote to Hero for Sol, which is one of the most useful skills in the game.

I need another second seal... is it a fool's errand to drop him back down after I already went to grandmaster? :<

It's really only worth it if you are targeting some specific skills, or if you feel like the character is too weak and gaining experience too slowly since you promoted early (hi Frederick!). Otherwise you are better hopping around promoted classes for skills. Levels might come slower, but you'll be going for those skills eventually anyway (unless you change your mind, I guess?).

Tenki

My Unit is Level 20 Tactician. Should I reclass him to Tactician again (to level up another 20 levels) before upgrading to Grandmaster?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Will reclassing Olivia into Assassin give her Astra and Lethality? I already have two Swordmasters so I'd prefer Assassin.

Lethality and Pass. Swordmaster skills are better (especially Swordfaire) but Assassin has better caps so going Swordmaster->Assassin is better than going Assassin->Swordmaster. Having a bunch of Swordmasters doesn't really hurt unless you end up limited by weapon types, and all Assassin is going to add is bows anyway.

My Unit is Level 20 Tactician. Should I reclass him to Tactician again (to level up another 20 levels) before upgrading to Grandmaster?

There's no reason to go through the same class twice unless you have all the skills you want but haven't capped your stats yet. And that only applies to promoted classes, zero reason at all to go through a base class twice.

So any particular class to reclass or just upgrade to Grandmaster?

Mercenary is the only all-around good base class to send your avatar through. Anything else is situational if you're going for a specific build. Like Vantage, Gamble, Despoil.

Jintor

It's really only worth it if you are targeting some specific skills, or if you feel like the character is too weak and gaining experience too slowly since you promoted early (hi Frederick!). Otherwise you are better hopping around promoted classes for skills. Levels might come slower, but you'll be going for those skills eventually anyway (unless you change your mind, I guess?).

Well, I was only really thinking about armsthrift. But I guess I just don't really see the point. Or more to the point, I don't have any opportunity to get more second seals

Santiako

Holy difficulty spike, Batman! I'm on Chapter 5 and can't beat it without losing people, there are just too many enemies. I wonder if starting on Hard was the wrong choice.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Holy difficulty spike, Batman! I'm on Chapter 5 and can't beat it without losing people, there are just too many enemies. I wonder if starting on Hard was the wrong choice.

That's probably one of the more difficult chapters for a newcomer, if you can beat that you can probably get through the whole game. The difficulty curve is wonky, it's likely going to get easier with just a few spikes here and there.

A couple tips:

You can save Maribelle and Ricken by pairing them together and putting them in the lone safe spot (hit X to see it).

Move the bulk of your units north through the narrow passage rather than around the side. Use your tankiest units like Sully/Stahl and Kellam to lead so they do most of the initial fighting.

Reinforcements aren't infinite. As long as you are around that fort to the north of where you start (and cover it) none of them should reach you immediately, giving you time to react to them.

Ricken's wind attack will murder wyverns.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Their children can be pretty good, and also the dragon girl is an absolute beast as a wyvern rider/lord in my game.

Anteo

What's the benefit of the dragon girl and bunny girl btw? I'm not sure how to use them in combat to their fullest advantage.

The manakete class is really good are compared to most other. At level 15 they both learn a special skill that increases damage against a certain unit type (Mounted units for Panne, DragonRiders for Nowi). Besides that, they do not have other usefull skills so reclasing them to get other skills and then going back to their main class is the way to go.

Despera

Banned
Everything was going so damn well. Destroyed every unit with relative ease.

And then Walhart swooped in and killed Libra with 2 consecutive hits in one turn, each worth 36 HP. WTF!

I'll admit that I got a little cocky and moved my units a bit too carelessly near the end though. The moment I saw Walhart move straight to my weakest duo (Libra and Nowi), I knew I was fucked.

The previous chapters were a cakewalk, and this one was pretty easy as well until "that" happened. It seems Hard/Classic aint that bad after all. Maybe I shoud've gone with Lunatic? Or is it too much to handle for a newcomer to the series such as myself?

In any case, time to give it a rest and continue some other time. I'll make sure that Libra gets his revenge...

So technically I can reclass my avatar to go through every single class available until forever?

Does that come with disadvantages?

/edit

Also: when do random risen spawn? Once per day? (I know you can use an item to summon them yourself, curious about the random ones.)

MicH

Which child is the easiest to recruit? I fear many of them are way too hard for me at the moment (chapter 13, pretty much everyone is promoted but level 1)

-Horizon-

Also: when do random risen spawn? Once per day? (I know you can use an item to summon them yourself, curious about the random ones.)

Usually Risen show up on the map after you finish a chapter. I'm not sure about the time it takes if you didn't do a chapter though, I usually only check once a day so yeah. Maybe every 12 hours?

McNum

So technically I can reclass my avatar to go through every single class available until forever?

Does that come with disadvantages?
Leveling speed. The game still keeps track of your level internally, although it only counts half your levels, so the more you reclass, the slower your EXP gain will be. The penalty is harsher on higher difficulties, though, but you can feel it on Normal, too. Of course, your reclassed unit still has the stats, so it's probably to weigh up having a level 1 character that hits like a level 20.

Speaking of reclassing, any tips for improving weapon levels fast? I just have my units hit things with bronze weapons, but I was wondering if there is a better way.

Which child is the easiest to recruit? I fear many of them are way too hard for me at the moment (chapter 13, pretty much everyone is promoted but level 1)

The difficulty of the child paralogues rises based on when that child's mother joined you. So the chapters for Lissa's and Sully's kid are the easiest (paralogue 5 and 8 respectively).

-Horizon-

I thought Morgan's and Cynthia's were pretty easy. Can't remember what level the enemy on the map were though.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Man that was quite the tough side mission, where you got to protect someone during a ritual. I got the character though. Can your main character do multiple love relationships or only just one?

Anteo

Man that was quite the tough side mission, where you got to protect someone during a ritual. I got the character though. Can your main character do multiple love relationships or only just one?

=(
Just one.
You can get as many A ranks as you want though!

McNum

The difficulty of the child paralogues rises based on when that child's mother joined you. So the chapters for Lissa's and Sully's kid are the easiest (paralogue 5 and 8 respectively).
I take it that means that I should leave Nowi's chapter alone for now? Funny enough, it's the only one I have the skills I want to pass on ready for. Well, Nowi could probably give a better one, but Donnel has Underdog ready to go.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
God help me, but I think I've gotten fond of Panne. I think I'm gonna hook Kellam up with Sumia and Panne with Chrom :p

Assuming I'm not missing something here, Panne isn't compatible with Chrom, due to the limitations of the narrative regarding Lucina.

She has a lot of others to choose from, though.

Not a fan of Yarne's personality, but PannexDonnel supports were pretty stupidly hilarious.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of reclassing, any tips for improving weapon levels fast? I just have my units hit things with bronze weapons, but I was wondering if there is a better way.

Arms Scrolls occasionally pop up in secret shops. Discipline skill, if the character has access to the Cavalier class. Supposedly some equipment has discipline built in, like the log, ladle, tree branch. Maybe the kneeder and slack bow. So using those might increase your weapon level quicker.

McNum

Arms Scrolls occasionally pop up in secret shops. Discipline skill, if the character has access to the Cavalier class. Supposedly some equipment has discipline built in, like the log, ladle, tree branch. Maybe the kneeder and slack bow. So using those might increase your weapon level quicker.
Ah, I don't have any of the joke weapons, yet. I keep getting awesome ones instead off the tiles and barracks. Will keep an eye out for Arms Scrolls.

Also, just saw Villager 15/Merc 1 Donnel in action today. Impressive, most impressive. Enemies have between 10% and 50% chance of hitting him. Underdog in action!

Assuming I'm not missing something here, Panne isn't compatible with Chrom, due to the limitations of the narrative regarding Lucina.

She has a lot of others to choose from, though.

Not a fan of Yarne's personality, but PannexDonnel supports were pretty stupidly hilarious.

That's a bummer. I hadn't actually looked at their supports yet.

In case it isn't obvious, I'm just winging it here. Hoping to do a playthrough where I get more into the intricacies next. I haven't been in a min/maxing mood lately.

Fireblend

Banned
So should I second-class Donnel to Mercenary now that he reached level 15? That was a pain to get to
KuGsj.gif
also, what's a good Olivia build? She's level 17 already.

Top Bottom