• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGR5 speculation thread Lucid dreams with Rare side effects?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
AzOqB3W.jpg

So, PGR5 at the reveal then..?
I still trust BADNED/aegies/all the folks that hinted at it more than one rumour that was suspected to have validity issues (though it did say FPS 3rd party support would be strong, which would go along with Respawn's project, but even that has no date).

From all of the evidence gathered thus far (and I'm not talking inconclusive hirings in OP either), a PGR5 makes much more sense than Forza 5 this fall.

What is Playground games doing? Microsoft assembled an All-Star racing team that don't have much to work after Horizon DLC. Have they given any indication of what they're next project is?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
What is Playground games doing? Microsoft assembled an All-Star racing team that don't have much to work after Horizon DLC. Have they given any indication of what they're next project is?
Dude they shipped Horizon like six months ago.

They are a racing studio and will continue to make racing games, I'm sure.

Shaneus

Wasn't gonna say I called it, but I fucking called it.

Edit: Going through that old PGR thread, found this picture that I posted way back when. Seriously, still looks so great:
0SYhOjs.jpg

#2: Ahaha, oh lol.

Wow, I've actually managed to creep *myself* out with this stuff. But hopefully, when we're all playing PGR5 on our Nextboxes, we'll look back on this and wonder how awesome I managed to be and not at all stalker-ish.

TJP

@EightBitNate: MS had little to do with the formation of Playground Games; the company was formed by a number of ex-Codemasters people alongside many others from defunct UK developers. Playground pitched the concept of Forza Horizon and the rest is history...

As for what PlayGround are doing, they recently tweeted about vacant positions for Senior Physics Engineer and Senior Character Artist so perhaps a new game is in production. I note that Google states the company makes games for all platforms including PC. I hope we see platform agnostic game from PG soon.

saladine1

Yep, logically speaking, PGR5 is a better choice for a launch title.

PGR3 took my breath away when I first saw and played it. Honestly, I haven't had that feeling since. Hopefully, i'll be floored once again..

Shaneus

C'mon Shaneus, you just said what we were all thinking :p
Maybe, but I had the balls to come out and say it (and get called out by the head of Lucid for e-stalking!).

Still think that one of the biggest indicators they're working on the next PGR is that he was in the PGR Appreciation Thread to begin with. Don't think there was ever anything linking them to GAF (maybe referrals? Not sure how that'd work, though) so that was a pretty major thing.

TheOddOne

Maybe, but I had the balls to come out and say it (and get called out by the head of Lucid for e-stalking!).

Still think that one of the biggest indicators they're working on the next PGR is that he was in the PGR Appreciation Thread to begin with. Don't think there was ever anything linking them to GAF (maybe referrals? Not sure how that'd work, though) so that was a pretty major thing.
I think they might put a restraining order on me.

saladine1

lol, where has he gone?

Fuck man, the wait is killing me.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Shaneus

May or may not be newsworthy, make of it what you will:
JqBzzuW.png

Might just be that they were on FB posting their Jacob Jones stuff, but maybe...

What's so good about PGR that differentiates it from other racing games? I played the original on Xbox and it was good for its time but I'm not sure why people are craving another.

saladine1

What's so good about PGR that differentiates it from other racing games? I played the original on Xbox and it was good for its time but I'm not sure why people are craving another.

pgr4zk9d.gif

You haven't played the 360 versions?

PGR is an amazing game. Very satisfying all around.

TJP

PGR has the best blend of realistic and arcade physics, great graphics and sound, racing in different weather conditions at different times of the say, weather includes snow and rain and a robust multiplayer with different modes added based on community feedback.

Fantastic graphics, weather (PGR4), perfect marriage of sim and arcade handling, great city circuits (Edinburgh [PGR2] and Quebec [PGR4] to name a few), Kudos system, tons of gameplay variety, great selection of licensed songs, online innovation originally with Xbox Live (PGR2) and with things such as Gotham TV (PGR3)... The list goes on.

Krilekk

Banned
1317774673285lyuqn.gif

Regardless of the actual game, which looks rad, I want PGR or another (hopefully multiplatform) arcade racer to continue PGR's legacy.
The talk about this being one of multiple "cool projects" doesn't give me hope for a huge AAA racing game being in the pipeline though.

They could do it like EA did with Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (DICE created the world and all assets, Criterion was responsible for the gameplay).

Shaneus

So, I managed to re-work out how to get pics from PGR4, what with PGRNations being down. This is also great if you had photos you saved but didn't upload, but because the option wasn't there, couldn't re-upload.

1. Find any USB memory stick, doesn't matter what size. Format it in your 360, go into the 360 memory manager and copy the photo(s) you want from under "Project Gotham Racing 4" to it. The names of the things to copy are the names you saved them as, so it's easy to work out which is which.
2. Download this program: Xbox 360 USB Storage Explorer (Xplorer) - Xtaf v44 (New) Download
3. Open up the program, open your USB drive (I just used "Open First USB device"), navigate like so:
Za3mDd6.png

4. Extract that file (you may have multiples there, depending on how many photos you copied) and save it somewhere on your PC (duh!).
5. With a hex editor (I use "Free Hex Editor Neo"), open that file and look for the following hex string:
ff d8 ff e0
5. Delete *everything* prior to that string (it will just be a bunch of 00s immediately before that, preceded by some other data which we want to get rid of), right to the beginning of the file:
lFXMYer.png

6. Save the file with the .JPG extension.

Et voilà:
wYd0JGw.jpg

As you can probably tell, it was my attempt (way back in the middle of Jan, going by the date in the filename in that first screen I posted) at recreating this:
hOIuIvM.png

So there's no reason to not spam all your favourite threads, Facebook walls and Twitter with brand new screenshots :)

monkeyhat

Just checked Lucid's Facebook page. A couple of posts today:
RHDXCMR.jpg

So either their racing game (PGR?) is getting revealed mid-May (Xbox conference on the 21st?), or this is becoming an elaborate troll.

Edit: Beaten! But, still, posting the PGR-ey London picture on their Facebook 2 hours before must count for something.

You really have to play PGR to feel its magic.

People have described it well, but to me PGR distills everything into a compulsive 'way-heyyyy' feeling.

Racing on the platinum difficulty is a thing of beauty.

Top Bottom