• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PPSSPP 0.75 released

That's a fairly complicated way of saying neither are "finished". Fortunately PPSSPP has a more sizable, active committer list so they're both still swimming along.

I think what he meant was that JPCSP is a lot more "demanding" on your PC but has a much larger list of games that it can handle as of this moment as compared to PPSSPP.

However, when it comes to performance, PPSSPP beats JPCSP hands down on games that it can handle, without having to do much tweaking.

For example, in Soul Calibur Broken Destiny, I could never, ever get JPCSP to run at an acceptable FPS on my admittedly old ass Core 2 laptop, after much tweaking and changing of Java versions, the best I could get is only 20 - 25 FPS in game. (No more tweaking heap sizes and all that bs ever again)

With PPSSPP, I got 60 FPS right off the bat, with mostly default settings and all the graphical enhancements set to on (4x rendering res, 2xSSAA, all that good stuff). My mouth was agape, what a difference in performance without that awful, awful Java dependency.

Thanks to the focus in multiplatform and mobile Android development, PPSSPP is pretty damn fast even on older, decrepit x86 PCs like mine.

@Sajjaja

You beat me to the punch. :D

Sajjaja

I think what he meant was that JPCSP is a lot more "demanding" on your PC but has a much larger list of games that it can handle as of this moment as compared to PPSSPP.

However, when it comes to performance, PPSSPP beats JPCSP hands down on games that it can handle, without having to do much tweaking.

For example, in Soul Calibur Broken Destiny, I could never, ever get JPCSP to run at an acceptable FPS on my admittedly old ass Core 2 laptop, after much tweaking and changing of Java versions, the best I could get is only 20 - 25 FPS in game. (No more tweaking heap sizes and all that bs ever again)

With PPSSPP, I got 60 FPS right off the bat, with mostly default settings and all the graphical enhancements set to on (4x rendering res, 2xSSAA, all that good stuff). My mouth was agape, what a difference in performance without that awful, awful Java dependency.

Thanks to the focus in multiplatform and mobile Android development, PPSSPP is pretty damn fast even on older, decrepit x86 PCs like mine.

@Sajjaja

You beat me to the punch. :D

Yup, thanks for clarifying that for everyone.

:p

I finally got my bluetooth adapter in the mail today. So now I can use my PS3 controller to play. It's so cool being able to play Persona 3 Portable from my bed while my shitty laptop is on my desk. I can't wait till Monster Hunter FU works with sound and everything. Any news on the official .8 version?

Any news on the official .8 version?

Well, I've been following the development somewhat closely, and apparently they're in the final stages of merging x264 video support into PPSSPP to allow FMV cutscene playback. Henrik wants to iron out the bugs/issues with video implentation before the final merge from oioitff's build.

They've already partially merged FFMPEG audio support into the main branch of PPSSPP for quite a while now for basic atrac. atrac3+ is still a no go, and dependant on sonic stage and at3tool.exe until they can come up with an open source implementation of it.

The official .8 version is the one that's supposed to have somewhat proper A/V playback.

Sajjaja

So how does a3tool.exe work? The file itself I mean. And what is it exactly? Every revision has that folder to put that tool in it but I don't notice anything.

So how does a3tool.exe work? The file itself I mean. And what is it exactly? Every revision has that folder to put that tool in it but I don't notice anything.

It's Sony's atrac3+ mono decoder. For whatever reason, if you have missing audio with oioitff's build even with Sonic Stage installed, at3tool.exe will help in playing the remaining portion of the audio, especially the voices in games.

It's supposed to be closed source and hidden away in gamefiles, so it can't be distributed freely like the Sony licensed Sonic Stage, which is why the folder is empty and you have to put in your own copy of at3tool.exe.

The only way to get it is to have a legit copy/iso of Fate Extra CCC (JP) and get the file from the decrypted pgd of the game using JPCSP.

The full details are in oioitff's issues post on github:-

https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/pull/997#issuecomment-17175353

It looks like the latest git revision added a nice feature that I've been waiting for quite some time, which is an adjustable custom framerate limiter, ala PCSX2.

It can be adjusted via the emulator UI or the ppsspp.ini file. Just choose your desired VPS/FPS, and to activate it, click down on the Left thumbstick of your controller to swap between three states:-

1. Default capped 60 VPS

2. Your VPS choice (set in the ini file or the UI, under graphics options)

3. Completely uncapped framerate.

(Holding down Tab still works the same way as before, it unthrottles the framerate)

Works just fine for all my tested games on Windows. 90 - 120 VPS is the sweetspot for slow moving JRPGs like FF I, II and III. Also useful in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for yawn inducing gathering/collecting quests.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

It works pretty well! The Audio that wasn't playing in Kingdom Hearts BbS and Black Rock Shooter now work! It also fixed the hang at the begin mission screen for BRS.

Latest git revision now supports more than the default 12 recent items in Windows, to a specified maximum of your choice on the frontend UI. (using the MaxRecent entry in the ppsspp.ini file)

Which is a blessing for those of us emulating on the PC with 1080p screens.

(Screenshot taken at 3x rendering res, supports 28 recent items now, more for 4x rendering res and full screen)

i8VWvRkZ6maEj.PNG

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Anyone know a good way to video capture this on Windows?

The recently released Toukiden Demo (upcoming monhun clone by Tecmo-Koei) works wonderfully on the latest git revision PPSSPP 0.7.6-627.

60 VPS+ at 4xRR and 2xSSAA on Windows.

With sound and music.

Only problem is the glitchy saving and loading.

You need to prepare the demo you download for PPSSPP's consumption first:-

1. Convert the game from PBP to ISO using PSN PKG Decryptor and Extractor

https://sites.google.com/site/theleecherman/psnpkgdecryptor-extractor

2. Decrypt the EBOOT.BIN using iso tool

http://pspslimhacks.com/psp-homebrew-iso-tool-1-980/

3. Run the iso

4. Profit

The big news is that iso tool actually works within PPSSPP itself. That's right, I friggin decrypted the EBOOT.BIN using iso tool in PPSSPP. Emulator-ception ftw.

Some pictures (menu shot, chracter, and gameplay):-

A picture of Iso Tool running in PPSSPP:-

Kokonoe

Banned
Are there any games with full music support?

Also, any news of Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi Tag Team or the Yu-Gi-Oh! games being worked on?

Are there any games with full music support?

Also, any news of Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi Tag Team or the Yu-Gi-Oh! games being worked on?

On Windows and using oioitff's A/V build coupled with the Open MG 4.7/Sonic Stage and at3tool.exe combo?

A majority of them. Note that at3tool.exe (have to google for this) is almost mandatory for voices in quite a number of games.

On Android?

Tough luck for now, until they get native FFMPEG support (in progress, next stop, FMV cutscene playback) and somehow atrac3+ support fully coupled into the master. Atrac3+ support for BGM playback is the biggest stumbling block for mobile devices as OMG/SS can't be used on those platforms for decoding.

Kokonoe

Banned
On Windows and using oioitff's A/V build coupled with the Open MG 4.7/Sonic Stage and at3tool.exe combo?

A majority of them. Note that at3tool.exe (have to google for this) is almost mandatory for voices in quite a number of games.

On Android?

Tough luck for now, until they get native FFMPEG support (in progress, next stop, FMV cutscene playback) and somehow atrac3+ support fully coupled into the master. Atrac3+ support for BGM playback is the biggest stumbling block for mobile devices as OMG/SS can't be used on those platforms for decoding.

I wasn't aware of that other stuff, thank you for the help.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This at3tool is mysterious and seemingly impossible to find. Even with my googlefu.

edit: nevermind, the Japanese seem to love hosting it.

Apparently its not even legal to extract it yourself from your own copy. Its a dev tool with no license to use it. Do you think the PSP emulation will come up with its own way to handle the audio or are people stuck using an illegal tool?

It's one of the major things written up in their to-do list; an open source implementation of the the atrac3+ encoder/decoder.

Realistically, it'd most probably be one of the last things they'll accomplish due to the immense complexity of the task (reverse engineering it has proven to be quite difficult and tedious).

Until then, OpenMG (from Sonic Stage) + at3tool.exe is the only way to go for a complete audio solution in PSP emulation. Which poses a quandary for mobile devices as I've mentioned earlier.

Even JPCSP, which is far more mature in its development still relies on this patchwork of external .dlls and .exe to get atrac3+ audio up and running.

Kokonoe

Banned
Does someone have the link to the specific build of PPSSPP I need for At3tool? And I got Open MG and stuff but I'm not sure what I'm suppose to do with it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Does someone have the link to the specific build of PPSSPP I need for At3tool? And I got Open MG and stuff but I'm not sure what I'm suppose to do with it.

Pretty sure all you need to do on the sonicstage openmg end is install it. At3tool requires files be placed in a directory for the psp software.

Here's the latest one by oioitff:-

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1ftGc2t9-dZS1NIeVVRZ1NaNms/edit?usp=sharing

Mind you it has it's share of issues (potential crashes in certain games, etc.) since it's a bleeding edge build with video and audio almost fully implemented as compared to the github orphis builds which are a bit more stable on that end, but lacking the aforementioned functionality.

As Kinggi mentioned, install the OpenMG stuff, and don't forget to restart after you've done it. Also place the at3tool.exe file if you have it in the folder provided. Lastly, don't forget to register the AsyncStreamflt.ax file located in the flter/lib folder and read the readme.txt.

oldmario

It's one of the major things written up in their to-do list; an open source implementation of the the atrac3+ encoder/decoder.

Realistically, it'd most probably be one of the last things they'll accomplish due to the immense complexity of the task (reverse engineering it has proven to be quite difficult and tedious).

Until then, OpenMG (from Sonic Stage) + at3tool.exe is the only way to go for a complete audio solution in PSP emulation. Which poses a quandary for mobile devices as I've mentioned earlier.

Even JPCSP, which is far more mature in its development still relies on this patchwork of external .dlls and .exe to get atrac3+ audio up and running.

i have sonic stage installed, will i still need to find openMG?

Kokonoe

Banned
Here's the latest one by oioitff:-

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1ftGc2t9-dZS1NIeVVRZ1NaNms/edit?usp=sharing

Mind you it has it's share of issues (potential crashes in certain games, etc.) since it's a bleeding edge build with video and audio almost fully implemented as compared to the github orphis builds which are a bit more stable on that end, but lacking the aforementioned functionality.

As Kinggi mentioned, install the OpenMG stuff, and don't forget to restart after you've done it. Also place the at3tool.exe file if you have it in the folder provided. Lastly, don't forget to register the AsyncStreamflt.ax file located in the flter/lib folder and read the readme.txt.

YAY the sound is working now! just had to register that Async thing. Thanks!

-edit- it stopped working now. hmm. maybe it's cause I uninstalled sonicstage.

Kukuk

Banned
Ah snap, forgot about this thread. Was messing with this a few weeks ago, and was really surprised by how well this emulator works. I tried out a few different games with it, and while most of the games were only semi-playable, Soul Calibur was the only one I found to be almost entirely playable.

Ah snap, forgot about this thread. Was messing with this a few weeks ago, and was really surprised by how well this emulator works. I tried out a few different games with it, and while most of the games were only semi-playable, Soul Calibur was the only one I found to be almost entirely playable.

Not quite so. You can't save/load the game properly in Soul Calibur as of yet. Only save states can be used atm. (Saving a game will cause the set of numbers to flash on the bottom right corner of the screen endlessly after selecting any of the main menu options) If and when they fix that functionality in SC and Tekken 6, I'd deem those games fully playable. (Save states can't be transferred across revisions, so it's only a stop gap solution)

I do agree it runs like a dream though. It's pretty damn gorgerous for a PSP game when you iron out the jaggies and increase the rendering resolution. One of the best looking PSP games next to the God of War games, Tekken games and possibly FF Type 0

Has anyone gotten Final Fantasy Tactics' music to work?

The question should be has anyone gotten FF:Tactics fully playable yet on PPSSPP?

The answer is still no. It goes ingame and is only playable up to the third stage, where you're destined to meet a never ending black screen that leads to a crash.

Clevinger

The question should be has anyone gotten FF:Tactics fully playable yet on PPSSPP?

The answer is still no. It goes ingame and is only playable up to the third stage, where you're destined to meet a never ending black screen that leads to a crash.

Ah. I never got far since the music sounded like nightmare fuel.

Foffy

Banned
Something I've heard of with JPCSP is that certain games with a specific type of audio barely work or need some absurd levels of hoop dancing to get through in order to get it working. Is PPSSPP the same? It seems to be coming together pretty well, but that audio stuff is why I never bothered really getting into emulation, despite the better visual quality of every game.

Also, how does Castlevania: DXC perform? I mean both the 3D Rondo remake and the PSP SotN update.

Something I've heard of with JPCSP is that certain games with a specific type of audio barely work or need some absurd levels of hoop dancing to get through in order to get it working. Is PPSSPP the same? It seems to be coming together pretty well, but that audio stuff is why I never bothered really getting into emulation, despite the better visual quality of every game.

Also, how does Castlevania: DXC perform? I mean both the 3D Rondo remake and the PSP SotN update.

Pretty much at the moment.

Wait for 0.8 if you really can't be bothered with the hoop dancing and require pitch perfect sound and BGM in your favourite game of choice.

It's gonna be long wait though. I personally just play my own OSTs for the game that I'm emulating to replace the silent BGM. It is often the case that games have working sound effects (clanging, gunfire etc) but no BGM.

Castlevania DXC has issues. It is playable but not fully. Expect crashes/hangs at certain points in the game.

110+ hours in MHFU. So awesome. Best MH playable on the PC that's offline and with dual analog controls, it just got even better.

Kukuk

Banned
Not quite so. You can't save/load the game properly in Soul Calibur as of yet. Only save states can be used atm. (Saving a game will cause the set of numbers to flash on the bottom right corner of the screen endlessly after selecting any of the main menu options) If and when they fix that functionality in SC and Tekken 6, I'd deem those games fully playable. (Save states can't be transferred across revisions, so it's only a stop gap solution)

I do agree it runs like a dream though. It's pretty damn gorgerous for a PSP game when you iron out the jaggies and increase the rendering resolution. One of the best looking PSP games next to the God of War games, Tekken games and possibly FF Type 0

Yep, that's that I did. Definitely not ideal, aside from that, most of the features work perfectly. Aside from the save issue, the only other issue I ran into was custom character portraits not working right.

Really eager to see the emulator progress, though. I've been dying to play Crisis Core again, but I have the hardest time playing games on the PSP.

I can't seem to get any sound to work on MHFU, whatsoever. I just wanted to confirm, is this the case for you as well?

Yep. That is the case. Which doesn't impede the gameplay one bit for me.

(Except for the BBQ Raw Meat bit. Have felyne chefs do it for you. Also not being able to hear monsters roars and shouts could make it harder, as you've got to rely on visual feedback solely instead.)

The latest git revision (0.7.6-732) has the BGM play at times though. But it cuts out and is inconsistent, so I just disable the sound completely. But since I enjoy eating in the kitchen too much for the buffs I'm still on a much older git revision, 0.7.6-387 for MHFU, which is the last one to have functional meals in the kicthen.

I shall remain there for the MH games until they completely iron out the sound issues which I suspect would resolve the kitchen issue as well.

Quick edit:- Nice to see you back Sajjaja. :D

Holy shit! Guitaroo Man Lives! actually works!
http://i.imgur.com/Z1mrkEE.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Amongst others :)

Gods Eater Burst actually goes ingame now. They just need to iron out the save/load issues and the crash when entering the 1st mission and it'll actually be playable. I've been waiting for that game to playable in PPSSPP for quite some time.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well after trying out other games to see if they ran better there seem to be more audio bugs in ones that had decent support before.

Top Bottom