• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently III: The Third Chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakncoke

Banned
I recently saw The Goonies. At least one of them ended up being an excellent and good looking actor. The movie is still kind of fun. Feldman was a racist douche though. 6/10

Also saw Hitchcock. I had some fun, but overall it felt bland. It's not a film I think Hitchcock would be proud of. I don't know what it is about films like this and My Week with Marilyn; I can't quite put on it, but there's something missing. They lack character and feel like films that could be done by anyone. They are completely unremarkable. 5/10

Hitchcock career is so vast, I think a 5-8 part mini series would of been a better fit for biopic

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
Evangelion 3.33 : A big disappointment, but enjoyable visually and kind of in the context of it as the first half of a 2 part climax. The biggest problems were the narrative and pacing, and big, gaping, wide problemos they were. Could have used 30 minutes of exposition and another 30 of fleshing out in the middle; it just felt really, really convoluted (something I never thought about the series or even movies prior) given that this is all new ground story-wise and everything occurs in less than 90 minutes. I like where they took things, but man it was like watching a four hour long show in fast-forward. For a series that did plot structure (argue with me here, go on) and character development and action crescendo/climax so well, this was a disaster in all those areas, and what was left was a pretty hollow film not very different from your standard anime feature.

Love (2011) : Went in blind and was left with awe until the credits and that fucking shitty Angels and Airwaves song came on and it ruined the whole thing for me. It actually pissed me off quite a bit and I ranted to my ex for half an hour until she told me I was making her uncomfortable by how upset I was. It was really a great psychological science-fiction up until the end, which reminded me of LOST in all the obvious ways.

The We and the I (Michel Gondry, 2012) - Very solid film with a narrow scope. Great acting and music too.

Guilty of Romance (Sion Sono, 2011) - One of the best movies I've seen all year. Definitely my second favorite film of his. Very serious subject matter and lots of craziness (not to mention some of the best boobs I've ever seen onscreen....ever)

Wrong (2012)
Another surreal experiment by Mr. Oizo, some cool dialogue and nice ideas, tight cinematography, but a bit too silly and vacant in the end, same problem as with his previous effort, Rubber (2010). One of the coolest movie posters of the year tho. 5/10

wrong_poster.jpg

Mama (2013)
Started out very promising, but this suffers from the same problems as Sinister: too much exposition. Less of the "mama" would be more good movie. 6/10

Warm Bodies (2013)
Don't get the praise for this, it felt like a teen movie by a video clip director. Didn't think it was very funny, it didn't make a lot of sense, and I like the real Kristen Stewart better. 5/10

And still busy on the IMDb Top-250:

Raging Bull (1980)
Have been putting off watching this because boxing, but this is hardly a boxing movie, instead it was a great biopic with amazing performances. Like it more than Goodfellas, not as much as Taxi Driver. 8/10

La Strada (1956)
My first Fellini, and it seems that was a good choice, liked it very much. Hadn't seen much Italian neorealism outside of Bicycle Thieves, but that's gonna change! 8/10

Upstream Color

(VERY minor spoilers)

One of my favorite aspects was how much trust and confidence Carruth placed in both the story and the audience. The story never doubts itself--despite it's fantastical premise, it is never questioned and no one ever tries to explain or justify the premise. The audience has no choice but to believe what is being presented on screen, and because the film believes in its material, I was on-board within the first few minutes. This confidence in itself and the audience was very refreshing.

I do feel that the first and last third of the movie were the strongest. I accepted the romance between the two leads in the middle but I did not really believe it.

The editing was very effective in communicating its ideas; in fact, sometimes the editing drives home the points via parallel editing and jump cuts. Still, I would much rather someone use montage/edits to communicate ideas than explain it via exposition. Ideas of
shared consciousness and a singular "living" identity
are clearly communicated (I felt) but your hand is rarely held; the editing invites you to understand what is happening to these characters, at the exact same pace that the characters understand it.

Overall, I did like it but need to watch it again. The movie feels like it wants to pull back all directorial intention and let the audience stew on the ideas put forth--it would be far too easy to draw a vapid "life is all connected, be nice to each other, respect life, etc." message from this. The problem is that I'm having trouble drawing my own interpretation of the ideas, so for me, it DOES feel a little hollow. These are my first impressions--I WILL need to watch it again.

I edited this review down from my full review that I posted on Letterboxd--feel a little weird posting a long review here, so you can read it here if you want.

Cyan

Banned
Hi guys! We need to have a little talk. No, you haven't done anything wrong. But you've probably noticed that we've been trying recently to do more to ensure that large ongoing community-esque threads don't become too large and insular, or too intimidating for new posters to jump into. We're also trying to make the OT more consistent with the gaming side, in terms of how threads are managed and so forth.

In line with that, we're asking that if you'd like to continue with this thread, you switch to a monthly format, a la the Comics thread or the What Are You Reading thread, or the threads on Gaming for the various ongoing online services.

I suggest that you start a thread for June within a few days, at which point this one can close up shop. If you guys want to do fancy monthly spreads like the comics thread, that's fine, and if you want to do a minimalist first post and then just talk about what you're watching for the month, that's fine too.

Feel free to discuss among yourselves as to who wants to make the new thread and what form it will take, and to PM me if you have questions.

That sounds like a good idea to me. To take advantage of more frequent threads, we could have different Film-GAF regulars post threads and offer up discussion topics in the OP.

I like that idea. It would be cool to have something akin to "assignments" like creative writing/photo GAF.

I know that's getting close to a "Film Club", but we don't really have to go that far/detailed.

What the difference between Criticker and Letterboxd, if any?

Also, I'm cool with monthly threads over yearly.

Criticker lets you devise your own scoring system. You can go 0-5, 0-20, 0-100, 1-2, and so on. Letterboxd is a much more sophisticated website in design and has more traditional social networking features (following, followers, profile comments and comments on reviews, lists, etc). Letterboxd only lets you rate on a five star scale, though.

Both sites have some pretty cool features. I have an account on both, but prefer Criticker so I have wayyy more films rated on that site. I love having the 0-100 scale and it allows me to really craft my own scale.

I think most in here prefer Letterboxd to Criticker.

Criticker lets you devise your own scoring system. You can go 0-5, 0-20, 0-100, 1-2, and so on. Letterboxd is a much more sophisticated website in design and has more traditional social networking features (following, followers, profile comments and comments on reviews, lists, etc). Letterboxd only lets you rate on a five star scale, though.

Both sites have some pretty cool features. I have an account on both, but prefer Criticker so I have wayyy more films rated on that site. I love having the 0-100 scale and it allows me to really craft my own scale.

I like the sound of setting your own scoring system. Five stars/points just isn't adequate. On Netflix, for example, I find myself scoring two movies as a 4, when I really didn't like one nearly as much as the other, but it was still better than a 3.

Certainly won't hurt to have accounts at both. I'll check it out. Thanks.

I'm gonna try them both out. How do you set your scale in Criticker? Can't find it--I'll probably just match Letterboxd's 5 star system, to be simple. I'm glad it at least has "half" stars...might move it to a ten point scale.

Upstream Color

I do feel that the first and last third of the movie were the strongest. I accepted the romance between the two leads in the middle but I did not really believe it.

Overall, I did like it but need to watch it again. The movie feels like it wants to pull back all directorial intention and let the audience stew on the ideas put forth--it would be far too easy to draw a vapid "life is all connected, be nice to each other, respect life, etc." message from this. The problem is that I'm having trouble drawing my own interpretation of the ideas, so for me, it DOES feel a little hollow. These are my first impressions--I WILL need to watch it again.

I didn't believe their relationship either. Unless that's the point, they're more destined than out of love.

But really, my interpretation of it was basically
maggots are bad, pigs are good
and they're always in a universal struggle lol.

The title is genius, when they show why it's called Upstream Color, it was like a "oh now I get it" moment.

I'm gonna try them both out. How do you set your scale in Criticker? Can't find it--I'll probably just match Letterboxd's 5 star system, to be simple.

Basically, the highest rating you give a film will be considered the highest rating your scale can have. That's as far as the rating tiers are concerned (tiers are how your taste is measured against others, as comparing scores when everyone has different scales would cause a lot of confusion).

Take a look at my page: Here.
You see how different scores are in different colors? Criticker allows you to organize different ranges of scores into categories. Dark green from 70-89 in my scale is labeled "Great." Dark green from 90-100 is labeled "Amazing." "Good" is light green from 50-69 and so on down the line. If you have an account, go to your main page by clicking on your avatar in the top right corner. Scroll down to the base of the page and find where it says you can "Manually control colors and quips..." and click the link on that line. From there, you can customize the color coding.

On another note, since I'm done with school for the summer, I would be willing to make an OT and get the ball rolling with the monthly discussion topics. I have a fair amount of free time and enjoy writing about film, so it wouldn't be a hassle for me. That said, I'm sure there are plenty of others in here who would do just as well making the first OT. Like Cyan said, I think we should establish what we want to do with this new month-to-month thread format. We could talk about what should be in the OP, single out good posts in this thread that would make for worthy inclusions to the OP, how/if we want to do different discussions or themes each month, what kind of links and videos should be included in the OP, and so on. Personally, I like the idea of monthly discussions, where everyone can come in and post about whatever they want, but if they post about the monthly discussion they can simply preface their post like so:

Monthly Discussion or MD

Total Recall by Paul Verhoeven

I thought it was amazing when that girl revealed she had three boobs because it made me wish I had two dicks.

Or something along those lines.

I'm making the new thread.

Beat me to it. Gotta honor dibs, I suppose.

Saw Psycho II. Completely underrated. Of course nothing could live up to expectations for a Psycho sequel, but this one did a pretty good job. I suppose it was so hated because it dared to continue something Hitchcock started. Perkins was great reprising his role, and now that his boyish good looks were gone I found him to be even more creepy. I'm glad Vera was back too. 7/10

Edit: Why would they let Norman move back to the house?!!! Talk about triggers.

Without guidance, I think the move to monthly threads could turn out poorly. My perception could be wrong, but I think that shorter, more frequent threads, while encouraging more newcomers, can also increase drive-by posting. By that I mean posts that answer the question "what are you watching/reading/listening to" without any other information about what they think, sort of like list threads. I think one positive product of more insular threads like this is the possibility for a higher level of discourse as members get to know one another and overlapping areas of expertise/interest being to emerge.

Blader

Without guidance, I think the move to monthly threads could turn out poorly. My perception could be wrong, but I think that shorter, more frequent threads, while encouraging more newcomers, can also increase drive-by posting. By that I mean posts that answer the question "what are you watching/reading/listening to" without any other information about what they think, sort of like list threads. I think one positive product of more insular threads like this is the possibility for a higher level of discourse as members get to know one another and overlapping areas of expertise/interest being to emerge.

Not necessarily, there's a good deal of regular posters and conversations going on in the monthly comics threads.

Basically, the highest rating you give a film will be considered the highest rating your scale can have. That's as far as the rating tiers are concerned (tiers are how your taste is measured against others, as comparing scores when everyone has different scales would cause a lot of confusion).

Take a look at my page: Here.
You see how different scores are in different colors? Criticker allows you to organize different ranges of scores into categories. Dark green from 70-89 in my scale is labeled "Great." Dark green from 90-100 is labeled "Amazing." "Good" is light green from 50-69 and so on down the line. If you have an account, go to your main page by clicking on your avatar in the top right corner. Scroll down to the base of the page and find where it says you can "Manually control colors and quips..." and click the link on that line. From there, you can customize the color coding.

Ah, good stuff, thanks, man! Here I am:

Letterboxd
Criticker

Not really sure which I'll end up using more--both have strengths.

Yup, it's a shame we can't just keep this thread for that very reason. However, I'm sure the problems you mentioned won't get out of hand with quarterly or even monthly threads, though the likelihood is admittedly greater.

yeah its not a huge deal to me but i agree with this

theyre even pushing monthly threads for music when that thread only has 8 pages since march

w/e

then you also have people bumping the wrong month threads

I agree. It might work, but I prefer it as it is. I guess that's out of the question, though.

Raptomex

Analyze This - excellent movie. Really funny. De Niro is my favorite actor and I think this is my favorite comedy of his.

Yup, not really looking forward to this new format to be honest. Let's see how it turns out though.

Akahige

Love (2011) : Went in blind and was left with awe until the credits and that fucking shitty Angels and Airwaves song came on and it ruined the whole thing for me. It actually pissed me off quite a bit and I ranted to my ex for half an hour until she told me I was making her uncomfortable by how upset I was. It was really a great psychological science-fiction up until the end, which reminded me of LOST in all the obvious ways.
It's an Angels and Airwaves film, they produced it as a companion piece to their double album LOVE.

Community is where threads go to die :(

Or, at least, not gain any new members. Trust me, I'm a part of Windows Phone GAF.

Well there could be another explanation :p

But I agree, community would be bad.

Edit : what's with all the name changes now. god I can't recognize anyone anymore.

Another thing that I think has gotta go in monthly threads:

Release dates for upcoming films. I think if there's gonna be a new thread each month, it would help lurkers and browsers identify what's coming out and see if something they've never heard of before catches their eye.

Couldn't we move to community? Or would that be worse?

You should feel bad for suggesting this!

Release dates for upcoming films. I think if there's gonna be a new thread each month, it would help lurkers and browsers identify what's coming out and see if something they've never heard of before catches their eye.

So basically Expendable's 10 Films to See threads, but without the focus on his recommendations since it does list every release?

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management

Shots fired against Expendable's What Are You Watching This Month threads. It's curtains for thefilmstage.

But my countdown is just for new films, while Movies You've Seen Recently is for EVERYTHING (and mostly older).

If the OP wants to combine them, let me know.

HoJu

Wreck-it Ralph 3/10 - spent too much time in sugarland with recycled CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE... jokes, Vanellope wasn't cute, movie wasn't funny, some of the animation was imaginative (NPCs from Fix-it Felix), too many animated movie tropes, conservative voice acting (jane lynch as jane lynch and McBrayer as Mcbrayer), Ralph's arc failed to connect with my cold heart.

movie sucked, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom