• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... how will videogame tournaments work on the xBone?

Duxxy3

This.

Shit, I didn't think about that.

Plus, this won't be an issue for a while. How many next gen fighting games will there be in the next year or two?

Mike Z (skull girls designer) has said the PS4 will accept PS3 arcade sticks.

The PS4 seems like the logical choice for FGC.

El Sloth

Banned
It was a joke about how most tournaments, to my (admittedly limited) knowledge, have used PS3s for a while. Unless that's just a recent development.

If I'm wrong, it was still just a joke. :p
Players (of Capcom games) are constantly whining about something to do with the PS3. Slowdown on stages, dropping combos because of some sort percieved lag, etc.

Some tournaments use PS3, EVO most famously, but not all. Most players seem to prefer the 360 and are pretty vocal about it (which is why I was confused.)

El Sloth

Banned

And how does that work? I was under the assumption that PS4 doesn't have any of the innards of the PS3. Hence the no backwards compatibility with PS3 games and the gaikai streaming.

Does this mean that DS3s will work on the PS4 too?

The majority of the money MLG makes is from gamebattles anyway. Sony sponsored just about all the MLG events last year, but the last MLG there was no Sony. I'd imagine Sony coming back into the picture in 2014.

I worked the last two events in Dallas and we had enough people at the pre release halo 4 tournament trying to steal 343's copies of the game by cutting the twist ties around the consoles blocking the dvd drives. Would we have to twist tie down the kinects to the consoles as well? Sounds annoying for refs and security to keep track of, especially when the majority of players carry backpacks.

Valnen

for tournaments using multiplat games, yes.

...but what about Halo 7 MLG tournaments? Gears 6?

No more Halo/Gears tournaments or they'll just keep playing the old games.

Not without Microsoft intervention anyway. The question is, does Microsoft even care about these tournaments? Should they?

Ri'Orius

Seems like you all are making a big deal out of nothing.

You've got an Xbone, you've got Marvel and SF on it. You bring it. People can play those games on it, and swap between them without switching discs. You can't swap in someone else's Injustice disc, but at the same time you don't need to worry about your discs getting lost because you don't need to bring them. You might need more people to bring in their consoles (isn't that how tournaments tend to work? Volunteers bring in their gear for people to use?), but I really don't see much of a problem.

I mean, Kinect isn't going to scan people's faces and check it against your gamertag. No need to worry about or fiddle with accounts. And hasn't it been confirmed that Kinect's various voice- and gesture-recognition systems can be disabled?

And how does that work? I was under the assumption that PS4 doesn't have any of the innards of the PS3. Hence the no backwards compatibility with PS3 games and the gaikai streaming.

I mean, a stick is just a USB controller. As long as the PS4 can support peripherals over USB, it'd be pretty trivial to support PS3 versions. They could make DS3s supported if they want to (maybe only over USB; do we know whether PS4 is bluetooth?), but it probably won't work for PS4 games any more than the Gamecube controllers worked on Wii games in general (although specific games could support them, eg Smash).

FlyFaster

Developers can disable Kinect functionality in-game.

still waiting on the MikeZ source and I read your comment.

Can You provide a source for THAT? I haven't read that anywhere. From what I understand the kinect must be "kinected" (lol) to the system for it to operate. It also seems to play a role in verifying users, ect. Haven't heard a single thing about being able to shut it off/disconnect it.

Skilletor

Seems like you all are making a big deal out of nothing.

You've got an Xbone, you've got Marvel and SF on it. You bring it. People can play those games on it, and swap between them without switching discs. You can't swap in someone else's Injustice disc, but at the same time you don't need to worry about your discs getting lost because you don't need to bring them. You might need more people to bring in their consoles (isn't that how tournaments tend to work? Volunteers bring in their gear for people to use?), but I really don't see much of a problem.

I mean, Kinect isn't going to scan people's faces and check it against your gamertag. No need to worry about or fiddle with accounts. And hasn't it been confirmed that Kinect's various voice- and gesture-recognition systems can be disabled?.

Nah, we're really not. Consoles are difficult to get. Games aren't (as difficult). Now we need more consoles because they can't play everything. We need to keep track of which console can play which games.

You act like getting consoles is a trivial thing. How many people want to lug around their 400-500 dollar box? How many people have extra monitors because we need more consoles since not all consoles can play everything? Where are those going to come from?

BadWolf

Hope its true, haven't picked a stick up yet because I thought it wasn't going to be forward compatible.

AAK

Apparently a guy on twitter made the claim that wired ps3 sticks are compatible with ps4 saying his source is from a comment made by MikeZ during a Salty Cupcakes stream.

For all I know that guy might have mistook something MikeZ said and put it out of context so I wouldn't take this as truth just yet.

Apparently a guy on twitter made the claim that wired ps3 sticks are compatible with ps4 saying his source is from a comment made by MikeZ during a Salty Cupcakes stream.

For all I know that guy might have mistook something MikeZ said and put it out of context so I wouldn't take this as truth just yet.

If it turns out not to be true, there's still always the possibility of convertors. etokki has PS2 to PS3/360 convertors that work great, I imagine they could make PS3 to PS4 convertors in the future.

JoshHood

I mean, a stick is just a USB controller. As long as the PS4 can support peripherals over USB, it'd be pretty trivial to support PS3 versions. They could make DS3s supported if they want to (maybe only over USB; do we know whether PS4 is bluetooth?), but it probably won't work for PS4 games any more than the Gamecube controllers worked on Wii games in general (although specific games could support them, eg Smash).
I believe the only reason DS3s are not supported is by design - they've seen how confusing things got on the Wii and Wii U with all the controller variations and would rather have all the devs using the touch pad and new triggers etc rather than just going for the lowest common denominator of the DS3.

You know that just gave me a really cool idea.

"Xbox, Create Team Slayer, 150% Gravity, Primary Weapon Battle Rifle, 120% movement speed."

Probably would never happen though but would be very very cool.

They will probably have tournament discs supplied or something with an infinite license.

"Xbox. Beat the game for me"

Wynnebeck

Banned
ibwI1puhNCjqAg.gif

The salt would be glorious.

Players (of Capcom games) are constantly whining about something to do with the PS3. Slowdown on stages, dropping combos because of some sort percieved lag, etc.

Some tournaments use PS3, EVO most famously, but not all. Most players seem to prefer the 360 and are pretty vocal about it (which is why I was confused.)

Ha, I see... I apologise for speaking so confidently without the proper information. Jon Snow indeed.

grendelrt

God I hope so, I am still thinking its 50/50. The usb protocol a lot of the mad catz sticks use is only supported by older USB chipsets. I had put a PCI USB card in my HTPC to keep it compatible because the newer intel chipsets didnt support the older protocols.

FlyFaster

Nah, we're really not. Consoles are difficult to get. Games aren't (as difficult). Now we need more consoles because they can't play everything. We need to keep track of which console can play which games.

You act like getting consoles is a trivial thing. How many people want to lug around their 400-500 dollar box? How many people have extra monitors because we need more consoles since not all consoles can play everything? Where are those going to come from?

+1

omfg... I would be livid.

SpecDotSign

Unconfirmed Member
And if PS4 does it just like XB1 then?

Then Wii U it is. lol. I think Sony is going to go the Vita route and have games available day and date as a downloadable with their retail release. Pre-load maybe? Here's hoping they don't shoot themselves in the foot.

Innards aren't a big factor here. It's just a peripheral device connected by USB; the only thing limiting it from being used on the PS4 would be software.

Same with 360 arcade sticks and the XBOne. It's just a literal choice by the platform holder whether to let them work or not.

Sblargh

Banned
I know there are going to be people in the audience who troll like this. It's going to happen at least once during a major if they decide to go with the Bone.

Tbh, I doubt there won't be an option to turn voice commands off (it is more likely to be a minor annoyance at people's home where they forget to do it instead of a tournment where people are very much aware of the problem).

XBone on tournaments have 99 problems, but voice commands aren't one.

Duxxy3

Do you have a link to where he said this? That's really amazing if true.

I got the information from twitter last night.

Waasiq Shafi ‏@Waasiq 20h

@supermoose201 @jchensor @FloydLatos Mike Z said on stream about the PS4, wired controllers like arcade sticks will work even if DS3 doesnt.

I looked it up myself on the twitch archive and got very lucky.

http://www.twitch.tv/eightysixed/b/369948877

5:08:45

That's where Mike Z talks about DS4 and wired controllers. All he says DS3 incompatibility doesn't effected wired controllers, but he doesn't know if that effects arcade sticks or not.

edit: a little further on he explains why the DS3 won't work the the PS4 - because the DS3 has analog buttons that the DS4 does not have.

Top Bottom