• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Animal Crossing: City Folk

Unicorn

With my hype reaching critical mass for New Leaf (10 days and counting!) and the fact that my friend is still on the fence of getting a handheld Animal Crossing game I decided to start City Folk again. This time with a household all living in the same town, sharing the same Wii to play.

I tried City Folk at release but carried over my Wild World character that had an almost complete catalog (literally only missing some choice furniture and that was it) and I think that defeated a lot of motivation to play the game. That paired with a Fall launch with decaying grass, pattern color palettes that were different than the previous iterations, and generally the feeling that not much was added from WW left me wanting.

I started our new town of Squaland last night and was immediately happy with the town layout and villagers. (will post pictures later). And my friend instantly got hyped and excited to be sharing a town again like the Gamecube days.

Anyone else on the edge of hype should also start playing again. I need foreign fruit.

It was okay, but didn't really change enough for it to be substantial. The "city" was a "square", if anything, and the only other additions seemed to be "pro" designs and the Nooks Point System ('dat Samus helmet).

If I hadn't played Wild World first, and if I didn't think Animal Crossing worked better as a handheld game overall, City Folk (or Let's go to the City) would have been fine.

I really despised the city. I preferred the idea of finding merchants in my town than having to go find them. It all just seemed rather redundant and I gave up after a month. I am so looking forward to NL though. I feel like I have been waiting forever.

SmithnCo

This time I'm planting flowers out the ass. Do the flowers need to be planted on the dead areas or anywhere for general grass restoration?

On the dead areas, trees work too.

I definitely would've liked City Folk more if I hadn't played Wild World first. It's definitely a good choice if you want to basically share it with others on the TV though.

Unicorn

On the dead areas, trees work too.

I definitely would've liked City Folk more if I hadn't played Wild World first. It's definitely a good choice if you want to basically share it with others on the TV though.
It will definitely be a different experience than New Leaf since we all have to share the town and resources. There's just a lot of nitpicks. Forcing me to use wiimote is one of them.

zigg

It will definitely be a different experience than New Leaf since we all have to share the town and resources.
It is. We managed a perfect town, but I didn't really get to do flowers at all because I had young children running through them regularly. :lol

I think I just got hooked on having my own acreage too much in Wild World for me to really appreciate City Folk. That, and the repetition. But for someone who hadn't already played Wild World to death and is either playing alone or has co-players willing to work with them, I could see it working.

I never played City Folk and *almost* bought it the other day to tide me over until the 14th. I'm glad I didn't, though. It's been over five years since I stopped playing Wild World so what's a couple of more weeks?

I never played City Folk and *almost* bought it the other day to tide me over until the 14th. I'm glad I didn't, though. It's been over five years since I stopped playing Wild World so what's a couple of more weeks?

It's basically an upgraded Wild World, and everything that's in there and more will be in New Leaf in two weeks!

Only Animal Crossing game that I didn't play much of. I began a town and played a bit but it really was just Wild World (which i played a ton of) with a terrible city. I can't wait for New Leaf though! I have been playing on my really old town on the GC version which has been fun.

MicH

The worst part about the city was that you had to take the bus to get there. Urgh. So annoying. Much better in New Leaf.

Also the grass detoriation was just the worst. Such an overall disappointing game.

Kouriozan

Things I loved in CF :
- 1 house per player
- holidays are back
- the concept of a city, even if it was so limited

I hated :
- essentially a 1:1 copy of Wild World
- grass erosion, ugh, ugly!!

It is still a nice game, but after 2 years of Wild World, I couldn't play this one more than 2 weeks.

Unicorn

I forgot that taking pictures weren't automatically saved so you have to approve each picture before saving. So, all the pictures I thought I was taking to post were not actually taken.

I actually loved City Folk a lot because I skipped Wild World. I played it often many summers ago.

By skipped I mean, I had Wild World for a while but it wasn't until City Folk that I "got" AC.

City Folk is alright for a quick AC fix... but after awhile I felt like playing the original game more if I'm going to play it on console. There is too little added, and at least the GCN version there is a chance to get NES games.

That said, I've had a bit of fun playing it the last few days on stream, but I think that has more to do with live people interactions than animal ones.

Unicorn

City Folk is alright for a quick AC fix... but after awhile I felt like playing the original game more if I'm going to play it on console. There is too little added, and at least the GCN version there is a chance to get NES games.

That said, I've had a bit of fun playing it the last few days on stream, but I think that has more to do with live people interactions than animal ones.
Whats your town fruit? Maybe we can visit each other's town and swap fruit.

jph139

I've been playing City Folk every day since I got it back in 2008. I mean at this point I'm pretty much just getting up and watering my flowers but it's the principle.

Honestly I like the grass erosion; it helped make paths to and from every important place. As long as you were careful your town still looked good.

Ohhh City Folk. An all right game by its own merits, but the negative elements it introduced were unacceptable. Grass wear and only being able to use the pointer to make patterns were the primary offenders for me...

I played quite a bit of City Folk last year when Japan got New Leaf and I was stupidly hyped for it, but stopped when I got all golden tools. Now I think I'll just wait for New Leaf so as to have a more "pure" experience.

Unicorn

Grass wear is still in New Leaf guys, but it's a lot more well done and just overall better looking.
Yeah, the transitional period (and to some extents the end result) are revolting in City Folk. What I've seen of New Leaf looks a lot more "natural"

Unicorn

To anyone that is playing :
May I have your friend codes?
Does anyone have a froggy hood?

Edit:
Bonus image from my old town
a0000265-1.jpg

That's my Rock Lobster

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta love those 5 second loading times when you go ANYWHERE. Go in your house, to the city (sometimes even takes longer), to Nook's, to anywhere.

Still replay the GC one for the NES games and grid format. Can't wait for New Leaf!

B00TE

It's my least favorite Animal Crossing. It's not a bad game or anything, but I prefer the original much more

This.

Still, it's tiding me over nicely. Wish there was more to do in the city, seems kinda lame otherwise. My town rocks though.

Made me more hype for New Leaf. Can really appreciate all that's changed from GC/DS/Wii with this fresh in my mind. :)

And Unicorn, I love what your character looked like.

Unicorn

Yeah I don't think there were cucumber slices do I had to make do with lemon slices on my face for Kappa outfit.

My current resident is a hippie. Hopefully have pics tonight.

zigg

Do we have to stick to City Folk in this thread? I don't really feel like it's threadworthy, but while I wait for New Leaf I've been drawn back to my old Wild World town a number of times. (My City Folk town was tragically lost to a Nintendo repair, but it didn't have nearly as much put into it as Wild World.)

Just from this morning...

Not gonna miss being accosted by insurance salesmen every Saturday morning in New Leaf. The dude just keeps following me, doing that creepy dance when he thinks he's I'm gonna pay attention to him…

Still got my Ouendan flag flying in Wild World. I'll have to make a new one for New Leaf. Ouendan kinda feels like a distant memory at this point though…

Anyway, it's been fun poking around again, even though I don't really have a goal at the moment. I am missing three bugs—a few of them the dangerous ones, which I had a hell of a time even finding, and when I did, I got stung and sent back home—but peeking at the calendar suggests I'll never find them now anyway. I exorcised the weed menace last weekend (which was strangely relaxing), but didn't go quite so far as to replant my precious hybrids I had in storage. I'm afraid they'll die off when I leave again in eight days!

Not gonna miss being accosted by insurance salesmen every Saturday morning in New Leaf. The dude just keeps following me, doing that creepy dance when he thinks he's I'm gonna pay attention to him…

Aw, what? They took out the insurance guy? I thought he was a funny, if useless, touch to the games.

Unicorn

I found someone on Animal Crossing Community to give me all the foreign fruit. Someone was willing to give me all the animal hoodies, but that was after I went to bed.

Anyone on GAF willing to let me catalog or gift me those animal hoodies? Fruit trees are still growing so I can't offer fruit yet, but in another day or two I will.

Hank of Squaland
0305-0825-1840

Top Bottom