• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #122 - "Age"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangent

Man, out too late! Darn darn darn. I wanted to work more on the organization
but I'm actually not stating a disclaimer, Cyan.

"New Beginnings" (1681 words)

Sorry I'm a little late... hmm, I wonder if I'm the last one. I'm not actually sure if I have permission to organize the stories in a list.... I will check tomorrow morning!

Alright late night GAF, if you're not finished your story, power through in the next hour or so with me! I just bought a PS3 and I have The Last of Us, but writing takes precedent! Go go go!

GRW810

Is it ok if I edit my story later? When I say edit, I mean literally just change two poorly-used words that escaped my proofread before I uploaded it. I'm out of the house for a few hours and I can't edit it right now. Thought I'd check with you all first, don't want to disqualify myself.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I don't think anyone's a stickler when it comes to the deadline, and especially not about editing stories. If people haven't had time to read your story, you can edit all weekend as far as I care.

Mike M

Nick N
Is it ok if I edit my story later? When I say edit, I mean literally just change two poorly-used words that escaped my proofread before I uploaded it. I'm out of the house for a few hours and I can't edit it right now. Thought I'd check with you all first, don't want to disqualify myself.

Can you do it before 4am?

Which is in 45 minutes, right? Probably not. It's not a disaster, doesn't break the plot, just a few little things I would have liked to smooth out. If anyone notices them please forgive me.

I don't think anyone's a stickler when it comes to the deadline, and especially not about editing stories. If people haven't had time to read your story, you can edit all weekend as far as I care.

I'm personally pretty lenient about such issues. If you edit it before I even read it, I don't really care. Even if you edit it after I read it, I'm willing to read it again and adjust my thoughts accordingly. Idunno, not really sure where I would actually draw the line. Somewhere between making edits and posting something blatantly unfinished that you complete over the weekend : )

Alright, since I’m not getting back to sleep any time soon, I guess I have all the time in the world for reading everything and offering critique after all. Huzzah!

Thoughts and comments...

John Dunbar -- Father of Lies; Daughter of Invention: I love the concept of an utterly corrupt historian plying records of great deeds that never happened in barter for goods and services. Herocitus was just an enjoyable character overall, I think he would be a pretty awesome protagonist of a longer work. The pacing of this one seemed rushed to get everything under the word limit, there’s enough left unsaid that even just this story could be expanded considerably, and I think the premise is strong enough that it could probably carry a book with some work. That said, I kept noticing how Herocitus seemed to have an awful lot of stuff in the folds of his toga. I’ve never actually worn a toga, but they never struck me as being particularly suited for carrying mass numbers of concealed scrolls or jugs of wine, so that was something that stood out as a rough spot that could be smoothed over.

Cyan -- The Tally Book: Honestly, not quite sure what I think about this. While I don’t think it’s necessary that every last detail of a world be spelled out in explicit detail when a reader can make inference on their own, I do wonder if perhaps you skimped too much in this instance. We’ve no concept of the society in which this story takes place outside of the hierarchy of servitude on the estate, which left questions in my mind about what sort of debts so many indentured servants would owe. Faisel also seemed a bit of an irrational bitch. For supposedly being Bel’s friend, she sure seemed quick to dismiss Bel’s perfectly reasonable and rational explanations as to why she couldn’t visit. Hell, it seems weird that she would expect anyone in their situation to be able to come visit her. I also found it strange that Bel needed to see her tally sheet and didn’t know exactly the number of years she had left, that seems like information that people in that position would keep track of. The ending doesn’t seem like much for her to get excited about, but I guess from the perspective of her situation...

False King Allant Mike M -- Tritogeneia: So the chief criticism leveled at you last round was your penchant for verbosity and expounding upon meaningless moments at the expense of moving the story along, and this is what you come back with? This fatality collision of allegory, symbolism, metaphor, and fudged science? Not even sure what you’re going for here to begin to tell you how to fix it. What’re Peter’s goals here? To convince his wife retroactively to not have a kid? To not have a giant parasitoid worm erupt from his face? Does Jacob or Delphine even have a goal in this story? It feels like you just conceived this horrible thing that happens to a bug and tried to build some sort of haphazard scaffolding of a story around it to give it some semblance of context and hope the building inspector doesn’t drop by unannounced. It’s an all around confused mess that suffers from thinking it’s more profound than it actually is.

Tangent -- New Beginnings: Found it a bit difficult to get into the headspace of the protagonist and his obsession with starting Kindergarten, but that might stem from the fact that I’m the older sibling and at that age had no idea what school entailed outside of this abstract notion that it was somewhere I was going to have to go when I got a bit older. I think you should have drawn some parallels between Kindergarten and Young Fives to show why he was so immensely dissatisfied with his academic ambitions being put on temporary hold. There’s a whole list of activities that he wanted to do in Kindergarten, but there’s never any real explanation of what they’re doing at the class/daycare/preschool he’s attending. It’s also never really clear what the narrator’s job is, apparently it involves monitoring kids in some capacity and is somehow involved in a PhD thesis or something? I think a little more elaboration could have tied it all together, as it starts off with anxiety about starting a new job, goes into the meat of the story about Kindergarten vs. Young Fives, and then comes back with “Oh yeah, remember I’m an adult now and this was about my job” at the end. By the time I got that far, I had forgotten the context.

GRW810 -- The Superheroic Chronicles of Ethan Barnes: Fluffy is a dinosaur. What kind of dinosaur, though? That’s a broad spectrum of possible animals, describing something as a dinosaur is about as descriptive as describing something as a mammal. I realize that part was the internal story of a kid (I did something similar a while back : )), but show me one kid who loves dinosaurs and doesn’t know their favorite by name. Ethan’s actual adventure was cute, even if it seemed to be riddled by fortunate happenstance (i.e. he gets off the bus at a random stop, manages to find the charity store when he doesn’t really know where it is, has a repeat encounter with the kid who scammed him and scores 10 pounds for his effort). The whole time I was thinking that it was his sister who was in the wrong, as an 8 year old wanting to play with toys is totally normal as hell to me, and I’m glad to see he reached the same conclusion in the end.

Sober -- When You're Gone: Seven shades of Up going on on this one. I don’t think the time skipping really added anything of value to the presentation, and indeed the fact that it wasn’t revealed that Matthew and Pebbleby were the same person until the fourth such jump just seemed to needlessly muddy the waters to no real benefit. Perhaps if there had been some sort of reveal that put everything into perspective, but the information that gave context to Pebbleby’s actions came out in the last section set in the present, which rendered the sections set in the past moot. The information contained there could have easily been folded into Pebbleby reflecting/recollecting the past while in the present or something.

Ashes1396 -- firenza: Wait, that’s it? Just when it seems like it’s getting started, it just abruptly ends : ( Sounds like some real shit was going down, I’d want to know what kind of world features an all out war between what seems to be every type of mythological creature conceived by man, but also features Switzerland. I would point out though that “skin” by definition is on the outside of a body, a gullet would be lined with esophageal tissue. Also, acid on its own doesn’t generate heat. Also also, typos : / EDIT: Final draft edition! Lots of crazy shit going down in this one. Not quite the same feel as Author's last appearance, but has a screwball, madcap darkness of it's own about it. Kind of reminds me of Douglas Adams' nonchalance in describing awful things. Liked the Soul Wretcher being essentially a giant witch with a broomstick, that's a unique sort of monster I've not seen before. Comments regarding the science of heat generating properties of acid and the anatomy of the esophagus remain standing : P : )

True King Allant Mike Works -- Antoine: I fucking quit.

Picks:
1. Mike Works
2. John Dunbar
3. GRW810

GRW810

GRW810 -- The Superheroic Chronicles of Ethan Barnes: Fluffy is a dinosaur. What kind of dinosaur, though? That’s a broad spectrum of possible animals, describing something as a dinosaur is about as descriptive as describing something as a mammal. I realize that part was the internal story of a kid (I did something similar a while back : )), but show me one kid who loves dinosaurs and doesn’t know their favorite by name. Ethan’s actual adventure was cute, even if it seemed to be riddled by fortunate happenstance (i.e. he gets off the bus at a random stop, manages to find the charity store when he doesn’t really know where it is, has a repeat encounter with the kid who scammed him and scores 10 pounds for his effort). The whole time I was thinking that it was his sister who was in the wrong, as an 8 year old wanting to play with toys is totally normal as hell to me, and I’m glad to see he reached the same conclusion in the end.
I genuinely specified T-Rex in my first draft, then decided neither Ethan nor the reader would care what species it was and cut it. Clearly I was wrong! In hindsight it wouldn't have hurt to have left it in.

Ashes

Banned
Oops.

fixed link. Everyone else should have the correct file now.

edit: that version was just me testing out something. Take that secret to your grave mike m. ;)

Cyan

Banned
John Dunbar -- "Father of Lies; Daughter of Invention" - Love the concept here. The opening totally worked for me; I loved the bit with the bartender. Went off the rails for me a little once Atalanta arrived. I didn't believe that the villagers would argue with her instead of flipping out and lynching our hero. Also, I would've thought Atalanta's disdain for the man would lead her to just leave him behind, and disregard his self-proclaimed ability to define the future.

Cyan -- "The Tally Book" - Trying to incorporate too many things at once, champ. Trim it down a little next time. :p

Mike M -- "Tritogeneia" - Opening was confusing. I liked the theme here, and the metaphorical aspect worked for me though it felt heavy-handed. Also, I didn't believe that the dude would give up the other guy's poker tell as easy as that, though I liked the reuse at the end.

Tangent -- "New Beginnings" - This is hilarious, Tangent. Love the little details about Young Fives vs Kindergarten and so on. How much of that is autobiographical? :p I had kind of two problems. One was the POV, which would kind of switch around between older/looking back and younger/explaining things as they were seen back then, and I sometimes found it confusing. There was also a structural confusion, where the kid is (I think) getting shipped off to kindergarten but then we hear about Young Fives for a few more paragraphs. I wasn't entirely sure what was going on there.

Cyan

Banned
GRW810 -- "The Superheroic Chronicles of Ethan Barnes" - The opening felt a bit long for a story that was ultimately about something else. I wanted to know more about how he got home. I was somewhat confused at times, including wondering how he could afford a burger, and what he actually did at the charity shop. At first I assumed he was buying more toys, but then he was playing at home again and it all seemed to be the same. Also, ditto on the dinosaur, I wanted to know what it was. I'm sure Ethan knew exactly what sort of dinosaur it was, and could've given us chapter and verse on it if he wanted.

Sober -- "When You're Gone" - I found the structure very confusing. The first swap especially, as it left me thinking that we were following two plot threads about two different characters who would meet up; I only figured out midway through the third bit that they were the same. I also found many parts of the individual scenes confusing. I'm not sure if this was prose or blocking or what, but I would lose track of characters and what was going on.

Ashes1396 -- "firenza" - Surveying the battlefield from atop a stream of projectile vomit is almost ridiculous enough for me to totally buy it. I'm not entirely sure what the aim was with this piece. I was alternately confused and amused by the endless ridiculosity. I never had a good sense of what was happening on the battlefield, and the ghost bit sort of bounced off my brain after the unrealness of the rest. Nice to see that Author Philosopher is still around.

Mike Works -- "Antoine" - Great prose as usual, and this seems like an interesting idea. Unfortunately, I just didn't get it. I feel like I was supposed to understand exactly what was going on by the end, but I still don't. I guess she's a robot, and he's being punished by being forced to make a simulacrum of his daughter do a lot of work? But then I don't get the deal with her mother and the burial plot and history lessons and such. Also, one of the scenes switched tenses... was that on purpose?

Votes:
1. John Dunbar -- Father of Lies; Daughter of Invention
2. Mike Works -- Antoine
3. Mike M -- Tritogeneia

Well most of us waited until the last second to get our stories in, but I'm loving the early critiques. Keep them up, guys!

OP updated.

Read through a handful of the stories and man, such an improvement over last week's challenge already. Outer and inner goals for your protagonist(s) are so, so important; don't forget it for the next challenge!

Mike M

Nick N
Don't worry about it. You don't have to really... ;)
WELL I DID ANYWAY! : D

Mike M -- "Tritogeneia" - Opening was confusing. I liked the theme here, and the metaphorical aspect worked for me though it felt heavy-handed. Also, I didn't believe that the dude would give up the other guy's poker tell as easy as that, though I liked the reuse at the end.
Umm... They don't actually play poker that frequently?

I've got nothing.

Read through a handful of the stories and man, such an improvement over last week's challenge already. Outer and inner goals for your protagonist(s) are so, so important; don't forget it for the next challenge!
Interested in finding if you genuinely think this was any sort of an improvement on my part. I did manage to trim a lot of the needlessly technical jargon, but I still feel like there was plenty of work to be done. Just didn't have the time for this one : /

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Cyan: This is a hard one to critique (especially to one so terrible at it as I and who is only doing it because he's scared of Mike Works), because I cannot really perceive any apparent flaws in it, though the ending did come across a bit strange. I assume Bedrooms means some sort of sex slavery, so I can understand Bel's relief to avoid that, but her reaction to Daen comes across like someone who has just been a victim of a harmless practical joke going "Oh, that Daen! What a rascal!", while this is a girl who found out she is due 15 years of slavery, and any kind of payback to Daen would probably result in getting the crap beat out of her. Based on the ending it just seems like her and Daen have a cordial relationship, or at least an understanding, between them. While he story would have probably benefited from giving the reader a bit clearer picture of how the world worked, there is enough to more or less understand the main character's place in it.

Mike M: It was certainly verbose, but with the exception of the beginning which made it difficult to get really involved right from the start, I don't think it went too overboard. I actually thought the cricket part was some gripping stuff, but as a result the interaction between Jacob and Peter became overshadowed. I see Cyan had a problem with Jacob revealing a poker tell, but my problem with it was that if Peter's tell was so obvious, how could his wife not know it? He must be very honest when his wife is around.

Tangent: This was a good read, but I felt the kindergarten part was too overpowering, so how it related to the later experiences at work felt like more of an afterthought. There were some good stuff that captured childhood and as a result felt universal, but I feel the whole came up slightly short of that.

GRW810: Man, those girls were some bitches. I liked the mood and of all the stories I think this had the best flow, but I was taken out of the story by some of the stuff that happened. The pierced kid dropping a tenner could definitely be handled better. I'm also not sure about an 8 year old who can read not having at least a decent understanding of currency. I recall I was counting my coins like mad much earlier. Of course maybe I was born a miser, who knows.

Sober: Usually a good reveal requires that there was a good reason to keep something a secret or at least vague to the reader in the first place. I'm not really sure that it added anything in this case to not know Matthew was Mr. Pebbleby right from the start. Looking past that, it was a rather tragic tale that was made all the more tragic by how firmly in reality it was rooted, but at the same time that is probably why it ultimately came across a bit mundane.

Ashes1396: It was a nice scene with some good imagination at display, but didn't really grow past that. There's certainly plenty of sights to work on, though I'm not sure how all those elements blended together would work in a longer story.

Mike Works: Very well written and kept me engaged throughout, but I must confess I got a bit lost at the end. I didn't really see how the education bit fit into whole story, or what the lecture Antoine had to give to the daughter was. Confess that he made robot children as slaves? But it wasn't really his daughter. Did he know it wasn't, or was his memory wiped? He did seem to know something more than was let on, otherwise how would he know he would have to give some lecture at an unknown time at some point in the future, and not to let her go digging? As a result the explanation at the end feels a bit dropped in, and not really earned. At the end I think it was a very good story that made me ask a lot of questions, but I feel most of them are born out of confusion rather than curiosity.

Votes:
1. GRW810
2. Mike Works
3. Cyan
HM: Mike M

Cyan

Banned
Cyan: This is a hard one to critique (especially to one so terrible at it as I and who is only doing it because he's scared of Mike Works), because I cannot really perceive any apparent flaws in it, though the ending did come across a bit strange. I assume Bedrooms means some sort of sex slavery, so I can understand Bel's relief to avoid that, but her reaction to Daen comes across like someone who has just been a victim of a harmless practical joke going "Oh, that Daen! What a rascal!", while this is a girl who found out she is due 15 years of slavery, and any kind of payback to Daen would probably result in getting the crap beat out of her. Based on the ending it just seems like her and Daen have a cordial relationship, or at least an understanding, between them. While he story would have probably benefited from giving the reader a bit clearer picture of how the world worked, there is enough to more or less understand the main character's place in it.

This is actually great feedback, because it tells me exactly what I failed to get across, as well as the unintended consequences of some of the things I was doing.

I was at a writing seminar/retreat over the last week, and one of the things we did was critique groups. We were explicitly told to be descriptive in our critiques rather than prescriptive (i.e. "I had this problem" rather than "you need to do xyz to fix this"), using the following four markers:
-things that we didn't believe
-things that we didn't understand
-things that we didn't care about
-things that we thought were cool

This turned out to work really well. I haven't always bought into the idea that it's better not to be prescriptive in your critiques, but I think I'm sold on it now--the feedback I got was much more useful than I've typically received from other groups that focused on prescriptive stuff. It also obviates the problem of pushing other people to write more like you do, which has often niggled at me when I was reading and commenting on stuff here, especially with the more out-there writers like Timedog.

I think I'm going to move more towards this type of crit going forward.

John Dunbar – “Father of Lies; Daughter of Invention … Opening scene is fun and there are some nice humorous lines of dialogue in this piece. I’ll agree with Cyan that things got weaker in the second and third acts with Atalanta. I think there’s little doubt that Herocitus is our protagonist, but what are his goals? Exterior: wine. Not hugely exciting or ambitious. Interior: perhaps to gain infamy by being the recorder of this history? Perhaps, but I didn’t really get that impression; it truly seemed like he was using his gift of writing in order to get more wine. I felt like he was wisely manipulating the barkeep in the opening scene, whereas he just turned into a bumbling joker in the latter scenes. Perhaps stronger goals would aid this?

Cyan – “The Tally Book” … I concur with some earlier critiques in that a setting and time period would make the reader less distracted early on (doesn’t matter if it’s fantastical; ground us at the beginning and tell us that we’re in 1837 Georgia or 750AC on the planet Grykec). Also agree that Bel’s relationship with Faisel doesn’t work; their argument seems forced, particularly because it amounts to nothing. Right now (Faisel) is working more to serve the reader as an explanation for what the bedrooms are like – give her a stronger purpose. Also felt that Bel’s character became a little too one-note with the punching. She seems to survive in this slave role, yet I can’t imagine her being kept alive for more than a week. Lastly, I was surprised that she was so happy with the climax, as the story didn’t show her handling Daen that well at all, 15 years is of course a very long time, and I didn’t get the impression that the bedrooms were super horrific (at least to her) leading up to that moment. Perhaps I had Django Unchained in the back of my mind, but the house slaves there had it much better (aside from the sex) than the outdoor slaves (who sometimes got locked in a heat box). For this dynamic to work, I think you need to SHOW the bedroom aspect being horrible (perhaps put us in a scene with Bel going to visit Faisel for the first time, but witnessing her having “sex” and being too distraught/repulsed to go back – perhaps something happened to Bel before/during the story that has to do with sex?). Additionally, she either needs a victory over Daen or the Daen character needs to be transposed to the Bedrooms (perhaps he gets his pick of the women after hours). Whatever route you go, I think the opportunity for a bittersweet ending where Bel the slave finds relief in “only” being an outdoor slave for 15 years still remains and sounds good. Work at that revision!

Mike M – “Tritogeneia” … Some similar pitfalls with your last piece in terms of overly verbose diction, but an improved piece nonetheless. Let’s look at your first sentence (which is pretty important!): “The visage of the Jerusalem cricket” (okay, we might be in Jerusalem, and there’s a visage of a cricket… could be a projection, could be a wordy author) “looked down upon the darkened biology lab” (okay, we’re in a lab, but why is the visage of the cricket looking down and not the cricket itself? But okay, there’s a cricket looking down from above) “from the giant flat panel monitor mounted high on the wall,” (okay I guess the cricket is sitting on top of the monitor and looking down, unless it’s on the monitor itself, but then would it really be looking down at the lab then?) “the beaming icon of an arthropodal god,” (here comes the verbosity!) “sitting in incomprehensible judgment of the world” (incomprehensible is right). There are two important goals a writer has to do at the start of a story: ground the reader in the setting and catch their interest. An overly wordy opening sentence that moves in so many directions isn’t the best way to go.

I found the strength in your piece to be the conversation between the two male characters. Very natural, lots of give and take, engaging. There was SOME conflict in that Peter didn’t want to be in the lab since the bugs creeped him out and he didn’t want to tell Jacob his secret, but I would’ve liked more. Jacob’s goal I suppose is to pull off this experiment correctly so he can show off to the students later on and nothing gets in the way of that. I understand that you were probably following my third prompt, but make sure that you always have obstacles to every goal, no matter how minor (the goal or the obstacle). Moving on, the final scene felt tacked on. The female character and that apparent issue wasn’t fully tackled or built up to (mainly because Jacob and Peter never reach that point in the conversation). If they’re not going to talk about it, then I think that conflict has to come through in the narration when Peter isn’t talking.

My advice for your next story: keep the same level of dialogue, as it worked quite well here, but scale WAY back on the complex word usage in your narration. A great way to do that? Write a fable or a parable, but adapt it with a more nuanced complexity. In short, something that a child could read, but perhaps only an adult could fully understand. I attempted to do something like that with my previous story (the Sloth and Worm and whatever) and found that it really helped with just getting a clean story and structure out there, despite how simplistic it all felt at times. You don’t have to write a fable featuring talking horses, but really, really try to keep the diction down to earth.

Tangent – “New Beginnings” … The opening might need retooling, as I think you could lose readers to your protagonist’s POV when he states that the third stage of starting a new job is the Honeymoon stage. Small thing that irked me. As for the heart of the story, you did a good job building up the importance of Kindergarten in the (younger) protagonist. Really sold it well.

That said, there are two timelines in this story: past and present. And as a general rule of thumb, the importance of a story almost always has to be placed in the fictive present. In this current incarnation, the fictive present is just a bookend (opens with KIDS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY and closes with I GOTTA WRITE REPORTS ON THESE KIDS). There are a few fixes to this. Set the entire story in the past tense and ditch the fictive present. OR expand the fictive present (I personally like this idea, as I like the juxtaposition between his younger self pining for Kindergarten and his older self perhaps loathing kids that used to be like him). I’ll finish by saying I think the main portion of the piece could use a little more structure in terms of progression and the young protagonist’s goals… the narration felt a little meandering near the end and it didn’t really tie up in a strong fashion in the sense that I didn’t have a stronger idea of the protagonist in the present due to this story I’ve just read in the past. Definitely suggest working on a revision though, as you’ve captured the young protagonist’s persona and the details of his world quite well.

GRW810 – “The Superhero Chronicles of Ethan Barnes” … Opening goes on WAY too long. Honest truth: I would’ve stopped reading this story after a few paragraphs (I actually did stop reading it after the first page my first attempted readthrough). There are some annoying lack of descriptions in the superhero stuff (what kind of dinosaur, why is it called Fluffy, what’s the point of it all!), and there wasn’t any subversion or real creativity in it. Once the reveal came that it was just a little kid’s imagination, the story suddenly opened up and hooked my interest. My advice for the opening: cut it in half, at least, and add some specificity; not just what type of dino, but make the fake characters unique (starting with their names)… perhaps Ethan has a pet dog and that’s who he names the dinosaur after? Also, how does the superhero match up with Ethan’s perception of himself (same question for the villain/sister and the damsel/girl he likes)?

I liked the journey that Ethan took in the sense that there was a new event/surprise every few paragraphs, though it did feel a little too aimless and convenient (as others have mentioned) at times. It wasn’t until the climax (where Ethan states his revelation with adults) that the story gave me any indication that him wandering into a sex store held any sort of purpose, and I think that needs to be remedied. He goes in looking for steps, they say no, and he goes out. And then it doesn’t matter because the mean boy conveniently drops his bus fare home. You’ve gotta make Ethan earn these things, even though he’s a little kid!

As for the climax itself, I love the idea behind it and his character arch, but the execution is rushed and sloppy. Far too didactic. It’s that second to last sentence where you flat out tell us the revelation. It needs to be cut, killed, and you need to (in my opinion) find a way for the reader to reach that conclusion on their own. Perhaps he can be playing with Playmobil toys and recreating his city adventure? I dunno, but I think if you find a way to have the reader discover that for themselves, the payoff with Ethan’s character arch is going to be so, so strong. It actually made me a little mad that the story spelled it out so poorly, because I knew it would be such an awesome realization to earn. Definitely revise this one – there’s a fun and strong story here.

Revision suggestion: Before you tackle any of the content, here’s what I demand you do: remove every single instance of the word “was”. This will probably take you a bit of time to do since you’ll have to rework a lot of sentences. But do it. Now. There are far too many passive sentences, and once you do this you’ll be amazed at how much more direct your diction will read.

Sober – “When You’re Gone” … There are a bunch of grammatical errors in this one that can be cleaned up. Here’s the biggest: when you have a line of dialogue in a sentence with narration, you almost always have to have a dialogue tag. So instead of this:

"At least I wouldn’t have to put up with a sixty-year old man swing around one of these,” raising one of his crutches.

It has to look like this:

"At least I wouldn’t have to put up with a sixty-year old man swing around one of these,” the nurse said, raising one of his crutches.

As for the story, I didn’t feel like I learned much about either version of Matthew through the other. There’s very little action in the story, and the main points of conflict come through exposition (old Matthew tells us he never got to travel with his wife, instead of them having an argument about her wanting to travel for instance). Money is a problem to young Matthew, but we never see him struggle through action; we only get hints of tension through conversation, and even then his wife is docile and supportive and compliant. When it comes to a rewrite, I would jot down all of the conflicts that both young and old Matthew have, and figure out how they can be shown in scene. Kind of like struggling with crutches at the beginning. More of that.

Ashes1396 – “Firenza” … Almost have no words for this one. Reading this felt like watching a YouTube compilation of God of War and Demon Souls cutscenes mashed together. I guess the protagonist’s outer goal is to survive? And his inner goal? And where are we and why is there some great battle and what’s at stake and Ashes you made my mind explode! Very curious to hear what you were going for with this one.

Votes:

1. GRW810 -- The Superheroic Chronicles of Ethan Barnes
2. Tangent -- New Beginnings
3. Mike M -- Tritogeneia

HM's: Cyan -- The Tally Book, John Dunbar -- Father of Lies; Daughter of Invention

Ashes

Banned
Spoiler warning:
@mike works: your secondary goal reminded me of an article I read long long ago -I'm not entirely sure why - as the article was talking about something different. It was something about signposts, and how readers tend to decide on whether a story is going to be good very quickly. I've looked for the article all week and could not find it, but the gist of it was that if we see a bunch of action scenes, our minds associate this to summer blockbuster movies, and think it shallow, and mindless, and all sense of depth is lost. I doubted the theory, but it was preying on my mind, and the more I thought about it, the more I thought... maybe?

I just fancied a challenge - to invoke a sense of depth in 'shallow' action scenes. To invoke a a bonfire upon the imagination, but you know, focus the story on the unknown soldier, the one left to suffer with shell shock. But then I looked up documentary footage of shell shock, and it doesn't work with fairy tales. Post world war shell shock is a dreadful business. Truly.

So having written the first draft, and knowing the story doesn't work, from an author's point of view, and one theoretically doomed to fail from a reader's pov (I'm dubious of this claim but regardless), I wasn't sure what to do, but try my best to improve it and post it.

In the end, I had a lot of fun doing the choreography. Author Philosopher is just too overpowered in this story, but I needed a quick fix without using an atom bomb shall we say.

Firenza: read Florence cause that's what it means I think - the character was originally female and Florence Nightangle-esque, but I was worried some readers might think the character is afraid because of their gender, so took that out of the equation.

The outer goal is beating the enemy, surviving in awesome cool fashion. The inner goal is satiating curiosity - read: experiencing war, truly. So really, in this story, there is not much difference between the outer and inner goals, just different perspectives. It's all surviving by the skin of the teeth, on an all expenses paid roller coaster and living to tell the tale.

Firenza starts off so brave, presumably taking on the giant, and ends up having his arse kicked by a soul eating witch. When brainstorming, apart from the above, I wrote down that, a lot of people think they are special, and really, only a few people are gifted. And Firenza is a personification of this idea. However, as Firenza realises in the end, there is something spectacular about being human, ordinary and human, and it is all too easily lost. Only problem being, that I couldn't get this across I guess. Still, it was fun writing.

Sober

John Dunbar - Really enjoyed the opening scene in the bar, though with Atalanta I thought the banter might be too on the nose for complete opposites (might just be me though). Concept was great, mostly because it's a nice take on historiography.

Cyan - Just enough tidbits of information of the outside world but not too much detail which I liked. I assume that was also to put us in a closer perspective to Bel. Not sure about the ending other than being somewhat bittersweet and a bit nihilisitic in that she has all that time left to go either way.

Mike M - A bit wordy, not my style though I think I like it when you incorporate it into dialogue over just purely descriptive, such as the beginning or the scenes with the worm.

Tangent - Very fun read, just shows how everyone thinks they're self-aware and thinks they have everything figured out.

GRW810 - I'm fine with an eight year old not being grossed out by girls and liking them (a little too early perhaps) and being able to afford that burger was a little odd though all-in-all I liked it. What was weird was no one noticing a lost eight-year old, especially with the sex shop part.

Ashes - That was just a whole bunch of crazy cramed together and still easy to follow. I was surprised that angel just got tore up like nothing, so much for that one-of-a-kind plot armour :)

Mike Works - I have to say it had me but by the end I was genuinely confused with the events that unfolded and whether or not the soldiers came back because of being late or because they knew she ran off to the grave or something else entirely which you seemed to hint at but wasn't very clear about.

Votes:

1. GRW810
2. John D
3. Cyan

Tangent

Wow, these stories were absolutely fantastic to read. I am extremely impressed with all of you and flattered to think that I get to write with you people. Such high level of work. It's truly fantastic. Well done to you all. It is also motivating for me...while a little intimidating, it also makes me want to buckle down and actually spend more time on my work and actually apply all the great feedback I get from you guys each week. I intend to... hopefully in the upcoming challenge.

Crits:
John Dunbar -- Father of Lies; Daughter of Invention: This was a gripping story to read. I liked the character of Atalanta. And I loved the exchanges between the Herocitus and the bartender in the beginning. To be picky, I’m wondering how she got by with being such a strong person without being “shot down” for being so, so to speak. I also really liked Herocitus’ pitch and was wondering if you could elaborate on that. It reminded me of a comparative history class I took and how when certain countries started printing a lot, there was a big shift in science, news, literature, and thought… to suddenly trust the printed word. Perhaps it might be fun to go into that even more, unless it would be a… tangent. (Badam ching!) I was a little confused about how the people in the town made the shift so quickly to the “new news” before Atalanta arrived. But nevertheless, it didn’t seem to throw me off too much. I liked some of the catchy lines likes “Might as well compromise and say it was sixty thousand men” and “I don’t think…” “That’s all right, you look good.” And I liked how Herocitus was matter of fact about not believing his stories if he wrote about Atalanta. Another thing that reminded me of was one reflection about Biblical stories and how it was interesting how women, instead of men, were the first to “see Jesus after the crucifixion” so their report might be more questionable, which makes for an interesting choice in the story.

Cyan -- The Tally Book: This was a really fun story to read and it reminded me of so many good, classic stories. One that comes to mind is Memoirs of a Geisha. (Actually, bad connection…. I liked the language and word choice of that novel a lot more than the plot.) I wonder why, though, Faisel was so unforgiving and standoffish towards Bel? I felt like Bel had some good explanations of why she didn’t come to visit earlier, but maybe it was just that Faisel had changed so much in her own wretched situation? Faisel was sure blunt about “not being remembered” like when she said, “I’m surprised you even remember my name.” One thing I thought was an interesting choice was all the violent anger Bel had. She always seemed to be trying to count or unflex her fist to prevent herself from lashing out at someone. However, in some ways, this seemed to be in contrast to other parts of her personality. Maybe it was just a side of her I didn’t totally understand. I also was surprised that she’d talk so demandingly when it was clear she’d get slapped around pretty easily for talking out of line. But maybe she still had a lot of chutzpah still. :)

Mike M – Tritogeneia: Can I just first say I’m completely biased with this story? A story about insects?! I was sold! I love love love insects. I absolutely loved how you described Peter’s disgust of the cricket in the first paragraph. I’ve never seen a disgust for insects described so precisely. Likewise, I like how you describe Jacob’s appreciation for them so well. Some of the jargon maybe seemed a little too much (or at least it slowed me down when I wanted to keep on racing on to find out what might happen next), but at the same time, the jargon was fun and gave the story a sense of adventure, in a way. One thing that was surprising was, in the beginning, when I was trying to understand Jacob’s character, I was thinking, “Oh, this guy sounds like he might have Asperger’s or something” because he seemed to not care if others were into his single-minded, obsessive interest and would go off on monologs, etc., and just get so pumped up about an interest that others didn’t necessarily share. But, I changed my mind entirely about this as a character trait of Jacob when you described how good he was at noticing that Peter had more to say, and really trying to help him out. That ability of understanding or suspecting how his friend was feeling was well described. Peter seemed a little angsty, obviously, but I felt like it was rude of him to just race off when he was supposed to be hanging out with his weird friend Jacob. I also thought it was a little smug of him to interject and be disgusted with Jacob referencing Tool as being immature. But again, I guess this fit in with Peter being a little self-involved! I really like the symbolism of the metamorphosis of new life and changes. I find it hard to use symbols well without being too explicit or implicit but I like the balance you struck. I know this is just me (doh!), but I was a little confused with Tritogeneia as the title and the Greek references to Delphine’s parents and stuff and the symbolism of naming the daughter Athena, etc.

GRW810 -- The Superheroic Chronicles of Ethan Barnes: Beautiful story. I felt the way I felt reading JK Rowling’s stuff in that I wanted to be friends with Ethan Barnes pretty soon into the story. That’s how I felt reading the Harry Potter series: it wasn’t the plot I cared about as much as just wanting to truly just hang out with the 3 main characters. Ethan Barnes had that effect. I wonder if the way his crush was described could have been different, towards Melanie. I find it fascinating how kids are not quite aware of their own crushes and it comes out in interesting ways. I think the explanation of his initial embarrassment could have maybe been described differently to stick with Ethan’s age and his level of self-awareness of his own crush. It was fun reading about the classic heroic stories in the beginning and wow, Ethan sure has a villainous, uninspired babysitter/older sister! I also liked reading about Ethan’s adventures in the city. It was fun to read and easy to visualize but I suppose parts of it seemed a little surprising. I wonder if more panic might have ensued with him crying or racing off or trying to find an adult that could help more quickly before trying to find other tools such as a stool to reach the coin slot, etc. Although I really liked the point you were trying to make, I wonder if there was any other way Ethan could have reached his final realization without it being stated so explicitly. That’s tough though; I’m not sure how to advise you there! Though the one elderly person he didn’t seem to reflect on was the nice elderly lady on the bus! What I really liked about having that elderly lady on the bus is that it seemed so classically Roald Dahl like to have all these horrible, scary adults, but one trusting adult. Anything that reminds me of Roald Dahl has gotta be pretty good.

Sober -- When You're Gone: This was a fascinating story. Having said that, I’m not sure if what I got out of it is what you intended. It’ll be embarrassing if I’m really off the mark but I’ll divulge my understanding anyway… I understood Matthew as playing the part of Mr. Pebbleby to try out for a role in some performance but then Matthew’s real life and the character’s life that he was trying to portray blended together. I’m not sure if this is what you intended but anyway, I got a kick out of my interpretation.  I thought it was great how you related the tragic tale of the Matthew’s dreams being sucked dry by reality to the old man’s dreams. It was like Matthew’s understanding of his own situation added to where his character went on stage. Also, Mr. Pebbleby reminded me of “Up.” And darnit, I wish those dang nurses or rehab people just popped him some pills so he could get over his self-pity stage and actually help himself when time is ticking! Oh well. One thing that seemed a little surprising was how quickly his character turned when he was talking to the boy that still looked up to him, though you did try to explain this with Diane’s surprise. Anyway, I liked the relationship between Matthew and Mr. Pebbleby, it reminded me of something I read about Heath Ledger and Joker (though I don’t mean to make light of that story…). Sorry if I completely butchered the point you were trying to get across!

Ashes1396 – firenza: I struggle with giving crits when I’m not sure how to start because I’m not actually the best reader. (It’s quite frustrating, and embarrassing… what kind of person tries to write when they can’t read?!) I tend to like your writing style but there are times when the level of abstractness is a bit over my head! So, take anything I say here with a grain of salt. Anyway, basically, I like some of the imagery but I had trouble following the storyline. I also liked how dramatic some of this was, like with the projectile vomit. I liked the last bit with the trembling fingers – it reminded me of when a baby first discovers that their wiggling fingers are indeed their own, and a sense of self is first realized.

Mike Works – Antoine: This was a beautifully written story, even the bit the about letting loose more hot liquid diarrhea. Somehow this reminded me of maybe what Esylium the movie (though I have only seen the previews) would be if it met 1984 combined with “Artificial Intelligence” the movie, or something. I really liked reading about Antoine’s feelings towards his daughter but was a little confused about what she was – like a hologram or some sort of robot with artificial intelligence or something. I think this would make a totally awesome longer novel with greater explanation to help the reader along with the knowledge each character had of their situation, or at least of what Antoine knew (e.g., I thought it was interesting that he picked Julie’s voice – was he creating an entire world for himself to cope with things? Sorry I’m just a little confused but it could just be me!). While I didn’t entirely understand the point of the history lectures and if there was brainwashing involved or what not, I thought the choice of the topic of Roman Empire was hilarious. It just made me think about how sometimes the things we learn in school seem so far removed from what we’re experiencing in life.

Feedback for me:
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm going to just think out loud so I can try to capture what everyone is saying for myself. I think I have a general trend of needing to simply start my stories earlier so I have more time for editing. When I edit, it sounds like it'd be best to work on at least the following: (a) structure and organization, (b) point of view, especially if switching back from present to former self, I also struggle with this when the narrator has a larger understanding than the main character. (c) how much of a flashback to put in or how to organize the sense of presence and determining how important it is, (d) describe why a character might be so hung up on their hang up (e.g., Kindergarten). Anyway, THANKS! I appreciate it. One thing I realized too is that I think I was trying to cover too much ground... to many ideas/topics in one story which might have made it more confusing or groundless.

I was at a writing seminar/retreat over the last week, and one of the things we did was critique groups. We were explicitly told to be descriptive in our critiques rather than prescriptive (i.e. "I had this problem" rather than "you need to do xyz to fix this")

Awesome that you went to a writing retreat last week! What I find funny about this is that it's the whole relationship advice thing where instead of saying, "I hate how you Blah blah!" you're supposed to say, "I feel X when you do Y in situation Z." LOL. No, but really, good point. Obviously, descriptive critiques I think would be way better but I think it's also harder -- but in a good way!

especially with the more out-there writers like Timedog.
This sounds like a hint of some writing you'd like to see coming back! ;)

Mike M

Nick N
I know this is just me (doh!), but I was a little confused with Tritogeneia as the title and the Greek references to Delphine’s parents and stuff and the symbolism of naming the daughter Athena, etc.

Tritogeneia is an epithet for Athena, who was born fully grown and armored from Zeus's head. That was all kind of an afterthought to the premise of "oh hey, what if I wrote this horrible description of the emergence of a horsehair worm?"

I fudged that part anyway, they come out the abdomen, not the head.

Tangent

Tritogeneia is an epithet for Athena, who was born fully grown and armored from Zeus's head. That was all kind of an afterthought to the premise of "oh hey, what if I wrote this horrible description of the emergence of a horsehair worm?"

I fudged that part anyway, they come out the abdomen, not the head.

Ah, gotcha. Awesome. Thanks for the clarification.

GRW810

Votes:

1. Mike Works
2. Cyan
3. John Dunbar

Feedback to come at some point between now and forever, but it'll come.

Tangent, unless I'm being blind you didn't include votes with your feedback.

Voting deadline's come and gone, but I'll leave it open for another ~hour before I go to bed in case anyone who hasn't voted is still up!

GRW810

Voting deadline's come and gone, but I'll leave it open for another ~hour before I go to bed in case anyone who hasn't voted is still up!
The craziness of time zones - you haven't even gone to bed yet and I've had a full eight-hour sleep and spent several hours awake. I've had breakfast, coffee, read the morning newspaper, watched parents walking their kids to school while I did the washing up and now debating what to make for lunch.

I did wake at 6am my time though (nearly five hours ago) and I guess it's just short of 3am where you are.

I mentioned it above, but Tangent didn't include votes with his (?) feedback. I don't know if it's an oversight or whether he just didn't want to vote! So Tangent may be back with votes at some point. Who else hasn't voted?

The craziness of time zones - you haven't even gone to bed yet and I've had a full eight-hour sleep and spent several hours awake. I've had breakfast, coffee, read the morning newspaper, watched parents walking their kids to school while I did the washing up and now debating what to make for lunch.

I did wake at 6am my time though (nearly five hours ago) and I guess it's just short of 3am where you are.

I mentioned it above, but Tangent didn't include votes with his (?) feedback. I don't know if it's an oversight or whether he just didn't want to vote! So Tangent may be back with votes at some point. Who else hasn't voted?
It's less craziness of time zones and more craziness of Mike Works who routinely stays up until 3am.

As for who hasn't voted, I just eyeballed it and it looks like Tangent and Ashes.

I gotta head off, here's the voting as it stands right now:

10 - GRW810 (3)
10 - Mike Works (2)
8 - John Dunbar (1)
4 - Cyan
2 - Mike M
2 - Tangent

I'll let you guys figure out when the voting closes; hopefully Ashes and Tangent get their votes in before it ends! Night.

GRW810

As I understand it, it closes when you as the previous winner and setter of the current theme decides to close it.

Ashes

Banned
Bowing down to peer pressure, and some good advice by cyan on the subject, I've decided to provide crits. God help you all!

John Dunbar -- dragged on, like it was was trying to find its way home. But it was tied up nicely in the end. I didn't know historist was a word.
Cyan -- You have to do this, that and the other. ;) I liked the setting - ending made me think a bit. Some conversations were better than others.
Mike M -- I wish to lodge a complaint about verbiage.
Tangent -- charming as usual, but Samuel is Elijah?
GRW810 -- I was expecting a change up, and read on without much patience, but once it happened, it gave the story a gravitas I didn't expect.
Sober -- A little confusing, and I kept thinking that a more cohesive piece would be more enlightening.
Ashes1396 -- so that happened. Yeah. draw a line. move on.
Mike Works -- the present tense is jarring, I couldn't get much out of reading it.

1. the kid wot won't grow up.
2. the slave girl who loves her chains thinks her chains are not as bad as they could be.
3. the bungling historian.
hm. stewie, stewie is that you all grown up and going to kindergarten?

GRW810

Thanks for the votes guys!

Given that some folks have exams around this time, the sun is should be shining and people have been struggling to meet the deadline, how would people feel about a shorter-than-average word count? I'm not talking about micro fiction in the dozens or hundreds, but less than the typical of minimum of 2000.

I wanted to check because, as a relative newcomer, I wouldn't feel comfortable strolling in here, changing it up and alienating folks.

Still working on a decent theme. I'll have something up in an hour or two if I get the thumbs up about the word count.

Cyan

Banned
My thoughts on word counts have changed over the years. These days I tend to think that the less restrictive, the better. I feel like low word limits have led me to some bad writing habits. The next time I win a challenge, I'll probably go either no limit, or limited to the max length for something to be considered a short story (usually 7500).

Buuuuut the challenge creator has the final say. Do what you want. :)

Mike M

Nick N
People running up agaisnt the deadline has been a staple of this thing since I started participating (and likely long before that), regardless of word count. Besides, people are free to submit something shorter than the limit anyway, so I don't think trying to ratchet it down is going to do much on that front. Might generate some people being forced to play with their usual style or something to get something under the limit, but most of them will still be popping up Friday night/early Saturday morning : )

I'm finding my sweet spot is the 2500-3000 range, which probably isn't doing me any favors since that's too long for flash fiction, but too short for a proper short story. I clearly don't have many ideas that are worth 7500-8000 words, and almost certainly wouldn't meet the deadline if I tried : /

Ashes

Banned
My thoughts on word counts have changed over the years. These days I tend to think that the less restrictive, the better. I feel like low word limits have led me to some bad writing habits. The next time I win a challenge, I'll probably go either no limit, or limited to the max length for something to be considered a short story (usually 7500).

Buuuuut the challenge creator has the final say. Do what you want. :)

To be honest, that's a bit too much. No way, people can read even three entries over a weekend if they are 5000 words +. How about a separate story of the year neogaf competition? or a quarterly event specifically for longer yarns? Something with a minimum and maximum limit?

Cyan

Banned
To be honest, that's a bit too much. No way, people can read even three entries over a weekend if they are 5000 words +. How about a separate story of the year neogaf competition? or a quarterly event specifically for longer yarns? Something with a minimum and maximum limit?

I'm not expecting everyone to write stories of that length. The last time we had a no-limit challenge, only a few people had lengthy stories. The idea isn't to say "hey everyone, write super-long stories!" but to let people write the length that their story should be, rather than slavishly chopping down to a limit.

I would expect that most people would stay in the normal range just due to lack of time for anything longer. There's a tendency in these threads to take the word limit as a suggested length, but I don't think that's necessary or even useful. With no limit, that might not be a problem.

Also, the intent here is that this would be experimental rather than a decree of how things would go from then on. If it made things impossible, we wouldn't have to do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom