• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 Character customization

XSamu

Banned
Bungie had a MAJOR surprise that really shocked me. There's character customization in the Halo 3 multiplayer that goes way beyond my expectations. Gamepro has a special on Halo 3 where they show new maps (including a desert map and some indoor maps), a new vehicle, the "Brute Chopper".

Don't know if I'm allowed to post the scans though :)

FatalT

Banned
Could you give some details on the advanced character customization or link to the posts that talked about this in a different thread? I haven't heard anything about this.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
FatalT said:
Could you give some details on the advanced character customization or link to the posts that talked about this in a different thread? I haven't heard anything about this.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159694&highlight=halo+gamepro

Here is an article scan from a newspaper (hope that's okay - it's not a gaming mag) posted over at HBO:

halo.bungie.org

Thar be spoilers, mateys.

edit: took the direct link down. It's from Sunday's Toronto Sun, so I don't want to step on any toes. I PM'd a mod to see if it's okay to link. For now, head to HBO and have a look. Some really nice shots of the Chopper and a couple other goodies in the text.

Xdrive05

Nice! I wonder how/if that will affect the HUD.
We know the 1st person HUD so far has a faint outline of the helmet visor. With these huge visors, or different visors, I wonder if the outline changes too.

NJ Shlice

Xdrive05 said:
Nice! I wonder how/if that will affect the HUD.
We know the 1st person HUD so far has a faint outline of the helmet visor. With these huge visors, or different visors, I wonder if the outline changes too.

I would think so...

Mojovonio

Banned
This made me very VERY happy, because 2 weeks ago, I was talking to my friend about how I hate that everyone looks the same in MP.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Mojovonio said:
This made me very VERY happy, because 2 weeks ago, I was talking to my friend about how I hate that everyone looks the same in MP.

Yeah, it'll be cool to have things switched up a bit. The article scanned over at HBO pretty much confirms that all the elements of each armor type will be chosen ala carte, so there should be quite a number of variants, especially when you start throwing colors, symbols, and other identifiers into the mix.

It also confirms another non-human character set playable in MP, which would seem to indicate Elites, but who knows, maybe we'll see a Brute set considering the way the story is moving. Or maybe both Brutes and Elites. Eh, we'll know soon enough.

GhaleonEB

urk said:
Yeah, it'll be cool to have things switched up a bit. The article scanned over at HBO pretty much confirms that all the elements of each armor type will be chosen ala carte, so there should be quite a number of variants, especially when you start throwing colors, symbols, and other identifiers into the mix.

It also confirms another non-human character set playable in MP, which would seem to indicate Elites, but who knows, maybe we'll see a Brute set considering the way the story is moving. Or maybe both Brutes and Elites. Eh, we'll know soon enough.
They've confirmed Elites in MP before in a couple of the Updates. I doubt we'll play as Brutes - but who knows.

I'm still hoping we get the ODST armor. Frank can have my kids if that's in there.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:
They've confirmed Elites in MP before in a couple of the Updates. I doubt we'll play as Brutes - but who knows.

I'm still hoping we get the ODST armor. Frank can have my kids if that's in there.

I can see Brutes making it in. The model shown in the Vidoc seems like it would work just fine and with the introduction of all the new Brute goodies, plus the arc of the story moving heavily that way, it would make sense to include them in MP. Of course, not putting them in doesn't hurt, so they could move in that direction too.

Odd though that the Beta only has Spartans. Makes me think that Bungie has something very interesting up their proverbial shirt sleeve.

MrDaravon

urk said:
In Halo 3 or in real life?

:lol

Man, I've got to hook up w/you on Halo 3 this weekend. I haven't been on lately, no one's really been on :(. I've seen you on a couple times but was busy, and you were the only person on my list on it, everyone else has moved to Forza/Shadowrun.

urk said:
In Halo 3 or in real life?

262.jpg

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
The article lists name for a couple of the armor types. One is QCB (close quarters battle) and the other is EVA (extra vehicular activity). Since mix and match is confirmed, I doubt that any performance differences will exists in MP, but what do you guys think about them doing something in SP? If not, why the specific reference to alternate skill sets in the nomenclature?

Dirtbag

urk said:
I can see Brutes making it in. The model shown in the Vidoc seems like it would work just fine and with the introduction of all the new Brute goodies, plus the arc of the story moving heavily that way, it would make sense to include them in MP. Of course, not putting them in doesn't hurt, so they could move in that direction too.

Odd though that the Beta only has Spartans. Makes me think that Bungie has something very interesting up their proverbial shirt sleeve.

I doubt it heavily. I thought the main reason we saw elites in multi was because they allied in single player. And it was hard enought to get the models to balance with spartans/elites why throw in a giant guerilla. Although I do believe in flood skins for certain gametypes. So maybe brutes in certain gametypes as a modifier, but that would be the extent to which I'd expect to play as a brute.

Tieno

Halo didn't invent armor customization, why are you people so excited about this?

lolololololololololololololololol

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
squicken said:
You have no idea what you are getting into. Urk is even more Urk-like on XBL. :lol

Is this why you never invite me to play anymore?

:(

squicken

urk said:
Is this why you never invite me to play anymore?

:(

Certainly not. You're a laugh riot online. I just usually have a full party waiting for me when I login. But send me messages on XBL. We'll cyber.

Mojovonio

Banned
giga said:
I think Frankie said that Brutes won't be playable. Can't find the quote right now though.

Monkey will be playable though.

He's quick, but he can only wield the smaller weapons, as his paws aren't big enough to wield a RL.

XSamu

Banned
siii2.jpg

These are actually the Spartan III models from the books I've read on another board. They're lighter, faster and have cloaking. Although I think in the MP it'll only be a different look. BTW: I'm disappointed in the fact that no one understood the suspicious smiley in my post :(

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
WickedLaharl said:
this is not a cool thing to do bungie. in fact i'm really pissed off right now about this.

wtf bungie no wai

is thiss true?

why are they alwais ruining everything?

nubz

GhaleonEB

Are scans of newspapers okay, if the paper is no longer on sale? The whole article with some great pictures and other information is up at HBO.

cluto

XSamu said:
siii2.jpg

These are actually the Spartan III models from the books I've read on another board. They're lighter, faster and have cloaking. Although I think in the MP it'll only be a different look. BTW: I'm disappointed in the fact that no one understood the suspicious smiley in my post :(
Apparently it's an EVA (Extra Vehicular Activity) armor variation. Other than the similarities in the helmet, the Spartan III armor looks very different.

150px-SpartanIII.jpg

Tieno

GhaleonEB said:
Are scans of newspapers okay, if the paper is no longer on sale? The whole article with some great pictures and other information is up at HBO.
HAWT!!!
!!!!

It's from the sunday newspaper from the Toronto Sun, no langer on stands.

Damn I was hoping the Brute Chopper will actually be a chopper (helicopter) but instead it looks something that belongs in Unreal Tournament universe :(

TDG

Banned
The character customization sounds cool, but the only way I'd use it would be if the different kinds of Spartans have different HUDs. I've never been very into womanly things like customizing my outfits. I prefer manly things like shootin' people, and shootin' people.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
the disgruntled gamer said:
The character customization sounds cool, but the only way I'd use it would be if the different kinds of Spartans have different HUDs. I've never been very into womanly things like customizing my outfits. I prefer manly things like shootin' people, and shootin' people.

Viva Piñata
Cynical Grump Last Played Online: 2/16/2007

Busted!

GhaleonEB

That's why it's optional. :p

I usually don't get into stuff like the customization, but if the ODST is in there....I don't even want to think about it.

MrDaravon

urk said:
Lemon Party!

:lol

Squicken: I've played w/Urk before, loads of fun. Playing random people on Halo 3 has already gotten to the point where half of the time I get owned, so it's gone back to Halo 2-style playing for me (where I play mostly w/friends), and most of the fun is playing with people you know. My friend did start a totally random conversation with a dude in a pre-game lobby that lead to buddy invites though. I can't remember if my friend was drunk or not.

Friend: I'll make it explode like a ripe melon. (there's no context here)
Random dude: Melon?
Friend: Melon.
Random dude: Melon.
Friend: MELLLON.
Random dude: Grape.
Friend: Graaaaaape.

And this went on for like 2 minutes into the match w/teamchat :lol

hay i liek shootan gamez 2!

i liek shootan the womaenz who customize the outfitz lolz :lol

Top Bottom