• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Jeez, Lotus and Ferrari are hopeless in cold weather. Want to see the mercedes stop Vettel tomorrow, championship is basically over

Yeah it's a pretty grim outlook for what started out as looking like a very competitive season. Sadly it seems Red Bull can just coast to both titles again as they're being handed them on a plate.

Ce-Lin

Jeez, Lotus and Ferrari are hopeless in cold weather. Want to see the mercedes stop Vettel tomorrow, championship is basically over

if the 1000 Km test can't prevent it... yeah, RBR and Vettel again, now is everyone having fun with the new *fixed* tyres ? this is real racing alright, ZzZzz....

edit: Alonso on Spanish TV "the upgrades we brought here, I'm sending them myself back to Italy right this Monday" lol !!!! a bit salty, but I understand.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
As I said, it is too cool for Ferrari and Lotus to be a thread to RBR. And austrian team seems to bridge their tyre problems. Meanwhile it looks like that Ferrari probably 'upgraded' their windtunnel. In wrong direction.

And this 'summer' in Europe is only helping them.

It will be a least interesting start for Fernando, with his best friend in front of him

John_B

Even if Rosberg could hold up Vettel in the first stint, I'm pretty certain Vettel will take the win. The Mercedes is just poor performing in the actual race.

Where did Raikkonen and Alonso go? Vettel is steadily building a championship gap without much effort.

that and cold temps, not even Ferrari is losing the development race but the weather is also against them, it's going to be Merc on Saturdays and Vettel-Lewis on Sundays from now on, guess somewhat entertaining but not as much as when the season started.

Well this is british weather lol. In theory it could be pretty warm next weekend in Germany...but yeah it's hard to compete against Redbull if your car is so depended on the weather. Lotus even more than Ferrari I would say.

cmr-94

GP2 showing that DRS isn't needed. What a great race with some fantastic battles that lasted more than 2 laps.

The tires are enough to aid good battles and overtaking

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Also quite interesting that FI, who like softer tyre compounds (like Ferrari/Lotus) is not having problems with harder compounds.

Addnan

crash06sjt.gif

Scuderia

Was sat in the stand for P2 yesterday and there was a slight wet patch at the end of Becketts that kept catching people out, was funny to watch. Kimi went over it every single lap and had to rescue the car.

One of the Force Indias hit it and had to go over the grass.

Now i'm back home in Yorkshire :(

DrM

Redmond's Baby
There are rumors that Mclaren is abandoning this year's disaster and it is moving with full force on 2014 car

It will be awesome car for smoke signalling.

Juicy Bob

Paul Di Resta is a grumpy sod, but I can't blame him at all if he is currently screaming obscenities at his team.

Third race in a row that the team have fucked up qualifying for him...

Alonso wasted his prime years at Ferrari. It's not the team that Schumacher had put together. They're back to their pre Schumacher days; all mystique, no technique.

Hell of a lap by Lewis. Vettel will very likely secure his 4th straight championship this year. An amazing feat.

Addnan

Apparently he weighed less than what was expected after quali. Now he's at a normal weight again, guess he did piss himself.

RukusProvider: maybe Vettel will be their next Schumacher from 2016 onwards?

Possible. One of the things Schumacher was best at was building and keeping a top team around him.

If Newey and others follow Vettel to Ferrari, then I'd say yes, there's as strong possibility but if he goes on his own, his career might get Alonso'd.

Adamm

Alonso wasted his prime years at Ferrari. It's not the team that Schumacher had put together. They're back to their pre Schumacher days; all mystique, no technique.

They started this year well, isn't this the first race of the season where they have looked so far off the pace?
And if Alonso didnt drive over his front wing in Malaysia and had the DRS problem (twice) in Bahrain he would probably be coming into the race ahead of Vettel in the championship.
I know you could have say similar things about anyones season, but those were two races where Ferrari were looking really strong.

So although Ferrari have been awful for a few season, it did look like they had a great car this season, and probably still do for the warmer races.

Addnan

Think I can get a decent amount of points. Although I don't think Mercedes will drop of that much now and no way Di Resta gets 4th.

ZRIEyE7.png

moojito

If it wasn't for some pretty random bad luck in '10 and '12, we'd be talking about 4 time champ Alonso, though. I don't think he would have had any better luck with any of the other teams except red bull.

If it wasn't for some pretty random bad luck in '10 and '12, we'd be talking about 4 time champ Alonso, though. I don't think he would have had any better luck with any of the other teams except red bull.

If he didn't fuck over McLaren, it would have served him better (outside of this year).

Lol, I forgot about the predictor again this week. Monaco, Canada and Britain with the same predictions!

Really impressed by the Toro Rosso boys this week as well of FI, both cars seem very slippery in a straight line. This is probably a function of their simpler aero designs and wide fast corners, while the highly complex Ferrari and Lotus are clearly not comfortable in these conditions. The Mcclaren is still useless though!

Shaneus

Lol, I forgot about the predictor again this week. Monaco, Canada and Britain with the same predictions!

Really impressed by the Toro Rosso boys this week as well of FI, both cars seem very slippery in a straight line. This is probably a function of their simpler aero designs and wide fast corners, while the highly complex Ferrari and Lotus are clearly not comfortable in these conditions. The Mcclaren is still useless though!
I haven't looked at the standings as they sit currently, but I'd love to know what the difference in constructors points is between STR and MCL. I'd say there's every chance MCL will be lower by the end of the season, if not now.

Edit: STR fair way behind MCL, but FI a surprising margin ahead.

Sauber even further back lolz

I haven't looked at the standings as they sit currently, but I'd love to know what the difference in constructors points is between STR and MCL. I'd say there's every chance MCL will be lower by the end of the season, if not now.

Edit: STR fair way behind MCL, but FI a surprising margin ahead.

Sauber even further back lolz

Then look at Williams and have a sad. :(

Leunam

oTDTQLL.png

dubc35 said:
I have to think Webbah will have a strong weekend. He has nothing to lose. I hope McL has a strong weekend on the their home turf but I don't see it happening. I think it will be a battle between ALO, VET and RAI for the win.

Big Takeover said:
It's not too often you have a legitimate sentimental favorite to win a Grand Prix, but this weekend we do, and Mark Webber has a real shot at it. This is one of his best tracks, and one that he has shown to have a slight edge over his highly celebrated teammate. The weight's off his back. Paddock, and fan support are riding incredibly high. He's got all the motivation in the world to make himself a triple British Grand Prix winner. The stars are aligned for a great story come Sunday afternoon.

2012 Race Summary

An engine failure on Vitaly Petrov's Caterham on his way round to the grid meant he had to return to the pits and retire the car before the race had even begun. When it did, however, it was polesitter Fernando Alonso who maintained his lead into the first corner. Webber and Schumacher followed him round in their same positions, but Vettel fell prey to Massa and Räikkönen, before quickly getting back past the Finn. Paul di Resta, in tenth place at the time, suffered a puncture as a result of his right rear tyre coming into contact with Romain Grosjean's front wing at the start of the Wellington straight. di Resta spun and retired from the damage on the following lap whilst Grosjean pitted on the third lap to replace his front wing and change tyres after his impaired front wing was costing him places. Later on in the race, Sergio Pérez and Pastor Maldonado had an incident at Brooklands which is at the end of the Wellington Straight. Maldonado tried to overtake Pérez on the inside of the corner under braking, whilst Pérez was defending on the inside line Maldonado's front wing clipped Pérez's car and sent both of them into a spin, the result of this would be Sergio Pérez retiring from the race and Maldonado had to make an unscheduled pit stop to repair damage to his front wing. This would be a disaster for his strategy in the race because a lap earlier he pitted for new tyres, Maldonado would later finish 16th in the race. At the start of lap 50, Mark Webber was closing in on race leader Fernando Alonso, with Sebastian Vettel shortly behind his team mate in 3rd place. Webber was faster than Alonso due to his tyres being worn more than Webber's, but then with 3 laps to go Webber was within a second of Alonso's car, this would mean he was eligible to use DRS in the allocated DRS zone which was on the Wellington straight, this would give him extra speed. Alonso knew he was slower than Webber so he took the inside line as Webber passed Alonso for the lead of the race, Alonso tried to attack on him in the next few corners. Now Vettel would try and close up on Alonso. When the chequered flag fell Mark Webber won his second British Grand Prix, just like he did in 2010. Alonso was 2nd but Vettel didn't have the pace to catch Alonso, but at least Sebastian Vettel got another podium finish. Felipe Massa finished 5 seconds behind Vettel, Romain Grosjean recovered from the first lap incident to finish sixth, behind his team mate Kimi Räikkönen. The other points scorers were Schumacher, Hamilton, Senna and Jenson Button in 10th.

8g1XTWV.png

Circuit Info

[Click for Onboard]

XR8gX.png

Laps
52​
Circuit length
5.901 km (3.667 mi)​
Race length
306.747 km (190.604 mi)​
Lap Record
Kimi Raikkonen - Lotus - 2012 - 1:34.661​
Most Wins (Drivers)
Jim Clark & Alain Prost (5)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
Ferrari (15)​

Previous Winners & Pole Positions

2012 - Winner: Mark Webber - Red Bull Renault
Pole: Fernando Alonso - Ferrari - 1:51.746​
2011 - Winner: Fernando Alonso - Ferrari
Pole: Mark Webber - Red Bull Renault - 1:30.399​
2010 - Winner: Mark Webber - Red Bull Renault
Pole: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault - 1:29.615​
2009 - Winner: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault
Pole: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault - 1:19.509​
2008 - Winner: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Heikki Kovalainen - McLaren Mercedes - 1:21.049​
2007 - Winner: Kimi Räikkönen - Ferrari
Pole: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes - 1:19.997​
2006 - Winner: Fernando Alonso - Renault
Pole: Fernando Alonso - Renault - 1:20.253​
2005 - Winner: Juan Pablo Montoya - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Fernando Alonso - Renault - 1:19.905​

Video Highlights

Highlights from the 2008 British Grand Prix

Highlights from the 1978 British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch

Highlights from the 1969 British Grand Prix

Highlights from the 2010 British Grand Prix

Jim Clark documentary: Part 1/Part 2/Part 3/Part 4/Part 5/Part 6

Changes from 2012

-A number of new drains have been installed in verges around the circuit in order to improve drainage in areas where water has accumulated in the past.

-The tyre barrier on the driver’s right at the exit of Turn 14 will be extended by 50 metres.

GP Facts

-Jim Clark and Alain Prost have the most British GP wins with five apiece. One of Clark’s was scored at Aintree (1962) and one at Brands Hatch (1964). All five of Prost’s were at Silverstone (1983, ’85, ’89, ’90, ’93). Prost’s best finish from attempts at Brands Hatch was third in 1986.

-McLaren - in their 50th Anniversary year - are just two wins away from Ferrari’s total, while another British constructor, Williams - at Silverstone celebrating their 600th GP - are third on the list of most successful teams at the event with 10 wins. McLaren’s most recent victory came courtesy of Hamilton in 2008, while Williams have not won here since Jacques Villeneuve stood on the top step in his championship-winning year of 1997.

-Of the current drivers, the most successful here are Alonso and Mark Webber. Both drivers have two wins to their credit. Alonso won here with Renault in 2006 and with Ferrari in 2011. Both Webber’s victories have been with Red Bull Racing, in 2010 and last year.

-Jenson Button has more British GPs under his belt than any other driver on the grid, with 13. Despite the total he’s never appeared on the F1 podium here. The closest he’s come was fourth place in 2004 for BAR and in 2010 for McLaren. His last Silverstone podium appearance was in 1999 when he won round 15 of the British F3 championship.

-Pole position isn’t of great benefit. The race has been won from the front of the grid just three times since the turn of the century (Rubens Barrichello ’03, Alonso in ’06 and Sebastian Vettel in ’09).

-It certainly doesn’t hurt to be at the sharp end of the grid however. Since 2000 every winner has started from fourth or better. The last time the race was won from further back was in 1995 when Johnny Herbert started fifth. The race has never been won by anyone starting outside the top 10.

rsZnnTD.png

Drivers Championship Standings

VhN0dD3.png

Constructors Championship Standings

vzhnHyO.png

Fantasy Championship Standings

qwfvjVn.png

DBT85

Really hope Hamilton or Rosberg can take the win today. Part because they are my favourite team (Lewis is in it) part for the rivers of salty tears that shall be my bidet.

Will watch the Jim Clark documentary too, thanks Leunam.

Omiee

Excited for today. Mercedes had decent race pace yesterday so im not counting them out of the win today. Depending on the weather they should make life very difficult for RBR.

Alonso as always will find someway to score a lot of points with grosjean or massa likely to crash in to someone :p

Top Bottom