• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

jOLsgzwdNk2UI.png

Expected. :/

Keyouta

Well that sucks. However, keep the campaign going and rack up more noise.

Declining to comment isn't fun though, region locking only worsens their relationship with their consumers, present and future install-base.

Jomjom

Banned
Should be Gon Baku Baku Baku Baku Adventure I think.
(<----- And I should know)

Great list otherwise. Apart from Gon, I look forward to the new Slime Quest game, though a localized version would probably be a far more enjoyable option for me.

This reminds me: should we be afraid that a possible reversal on region blocking from Nintendo might actually destroy the already slim chance of some titles getting localized? Why would Nintendo bother with doing that effort if all the fans simply buy the Japanese version? Or is it realistic to think that those fans would buy the localized versions too?

I don't want to spoil the fun of this campaign by defending Nintendo, but it does seem like a legitimate issue if you look at it from Nintendo's viewpoint and the viewpoint of those who can't read Japanese (not that I particularly enjoy being completely at Nintendo's mercy to be able to even buy / play any version of a game mind you.)

Short answer: No. If there was any possibility of this, Playstation consoles basically would never have gotten any localizations because everything's region free.

L Thammy

I don't think we should take a "no comment" from Nintendo to mean that we are being ignored. The company likes to be very careful about their responses, even when they ultimately end up responding poorly. Note how their reactions to Operation Rainfall, the 60 hz Virtual Console campaign, and EarthBound fans on Miiverse all came rather suddenly. Their Operation Rainfall response in particular had them doing what the people wanted while denying it at the same time.

Old Starmen.net followers should know that Nintendo had been speaking about the Mother series in hushed tones for a long time, silently releasing test games and that sort of thing.

What we should be looking for now are signs that they are aware. When the dust has cleared, when our Cheesy friend can play all the Adventure Time games he wants, no one will care about how quickly Nintendo responded.

That's a bummer. However, keep it up! Even if they say they don't comment, they should be aware by now. Is the campaign still going, though, or is it already dying out?

Doczu

So i got drunk and a buddy told me to post a comment on neogaf. I did it, and now when i'm sober i'm quite embarrased i did it. Nothing to see, move along!

Honestly, a Nintendo rep refusing to answer the question isn't exactly a setback. If Iwata said anything in the interview with Rich that's still not been posted, they're not going to want to preempt it. For that matter, a PR rep probably won't be up to commenting yet on something that will likely take a while to be discussed and decided quite a few rungs up the chain from them.

Linkhero1

As others have stated, Nintendo declining to comment doesn't mean they aren't aware of what's going on. Iwata would most likely be the one to comment about the outcry to end region locking. Keep up the good work guys!

Statement via Barrel Roll Gaming:

Nintendo of America said:
Nintendo has no plans to remove region locking from our systems. By taking this approach, Nintendo is able to include parental controls and ensure compliance with regional standards and rating systems.

This holds absolutely ZERO water, as I'm an adult and don't need ratings systems. Even when parental controls do come into play, it would be extremely simple for there to be a setting to block games from unfamiliar ratings systems by default. Even parents should have the option to allow foreign games.

The campaign continues!

Sendou

Maybe they should call Sony and ask how they managed to do it with Vita and are doing it with PS4. Or even Microsoft. That's bullshit to be blunt.

Domstercool

PS3 has parental controlling... and it's not done on rating systems, but by what number the game fits into. It's from a selection of 1 - 11 I think.

Lame excuse...

This holds absolutely ZERO water, as I'm an adult and don't need ratings systems. Even when parental controls do come into play, it would be extremely simple for there to be a setting to block games from unfamiliar ratings systems by default. Even parents should have the option to allow foreign games.

The campaign continues!

This makes no sense. First and foremost, why does Nintendo tell us "this game might potentially in a worst-case scenario be rated just ever so slightly not quite the same as your local rating, so you can't play it"? Isn't that what parental controls are for?
Secondly, what parent allows their child (as we are talking about ratings, I am assuming children at an age of 10 or lower) to import random games from overseas? It is not something a kid could do on their own. Heck, I'll even have trouble importing. Let alone someone less than half my age. Conclusion: the parent needs to help importing the game. If the game is potentially unsafe, the parent won't buy it. Problem solved.

Edit: The third problem is that the "person" responding to it is Nintendo of America and not Nintendo of Japan (forgot the official name). I don't think the American branch can make decisions like this, so they can only echo what they would have said before the campaign started.

sakipon

Secondly, what parent allows their child (as we are talking about ratings, I am assuming children at an age of 10 or lower) to import random games from overseas? It is not something a kid could do on their own. Heck, I'll even have trouble importing. Let alone someone less than half my age. Conclusion: the parent needs to help importing the game. If the game is potentially unsafe, the parent won't buy it. Problem solved.

I disagree a bit. Atleast in Europe there are some US PS3 games floating in the second hand stores and online auctions. Since they work fine and not everyone looks at the ESRB/PEGI label, sometimes people realize the version only after they bought it. Still, I do like the idea that one could simply restrict foreign rated versions in parental settings.

Keyouta

The campaign continues!

Eh, Nintendo of America has little say in the region locking anyway, I presume. I hope Iwata makes a statement soon, and Riches interview is posted.

It's kind of funny how this is the excuse that's given though, as the other console manufacturers seem to be getting along greatly without region locking. Also, most people who are importing aren't children and shouldn't be treated like one. The parental controls on the console should have a region locking setting for parents to fool with to block foreign titles completely, or only allow games with xyz ratings playable.

PhantomR

Banned

The campaign continues!

Um....can we get more context on this "response"? Was this a customer service email reply? An executive? A press release? Context is ridiculously important here.

The campaign continues!

Plus this means even less with regards to a PAL 3DS system. I often import games from the UK to play on my Australian 3DS. Whoops, they don't follow the local rating system!

GamerJM

Banned
This makes no sense. First and foremost, why does Nintendo tell us "this game might potentially in a worst-case scenario be rated just ever so slightly not quite the same as your local rating, so you can't play it"? Isn't that what parental controls are for?

Edit: The third problem is that the "person" responding to it is Nintendo of America and not Nintendo of Japan (forgot the official name). I don't think the American branch can make decisions like this, so they can only echo what they would have said before the campaign started.

My parents let me import games from Japan when I was pretty young. Not quite 10 or younger, but young enough that they still paid attention to ratings. Also, I would assume that some children belong to families that travel, so they could move from one region to another and pick up games from different regions.

Plus this means even less with regards to a PAL 3DS system. I often import games from the UK to play on my Australian 3DS. Whoops, they don't follow the local rating system!

Wow. The person who gave the statement really overlooked something.
zlCfzRB126sAk1lT-B

(Credits to Sadist.)

(1)My parents let me import games from Japan when I was pretty young. Not quite 10 or younger, but young enough that they still paid attention to ratings.

(2)Also, I would assume that some children belong to families that travel, so they could move from one region to another and pick up games from different regions.

(1) Did your parents supervise you while you were ordering the game?
(2) At the moment that would mean those kind of people can't buy Nintendo games at all. I doubt that is what Nintendo wants.

Bittercup

Great thread and amazing how many signed the petition.
Region locking is for me the second most consumer unfriendly thing right after DRM and one reason why I'm still hesitant about buying a Wii U. Not that I will import that many games, probably not even use it much but we are a open and connected world and people should be able to buy the games they want even if they are not available in their country.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I disagree a bit. Atleast in Europe there are some US PS3 games floating in the second hand stores and online auctions. Since they work fine and not everyone looks at the ESRB/PEGI label, sometimes people realize the version only after they bought it. Still, I do like the idea that one could simply restrict foreign rated versions in parental settings.

Well that's their problem. ESRB and PEGI are both crystal clear. CERO can be a bit confusing but I don't imagine Japanese games just randomly being resold around. Can't protect a system against dumb users.

Jeb

Just signed, I'm damn sick and tired of going to overpriced stores to get games, instead of the places that get cheaper, quicker and have a much wider collection.
It was a head ache for both the Wii and 3DS, not buying a Wii U since I'm so sick of it.

Mendoza

It's even more of a problem this generation than any other. The amount of fantastic content releasing on the 3DS in the East is staggering. And considering that today's market is dramatically different from that of the DS generation, it's becoming more and more unlikely that we're going to see some great stuff ever making it to the West.
Where the fuck is Fantasy Life, Dragon Quest VII, Bravely Default, Tomodachi Collection or Slime Mori Mori 3. Where the fuck is my release date or anything regarding Monster Hunter 4.
It's becoming a serious problem, and NoA and other western branches refusal to localize is disheartening to say the least. I miss the DS days when everything ever was localized, and the handful of titles worth importing were available to play on a DS you already own.

Just signed, I'm damn sick and tired of going to overpriced stores to get games, instead of the places that get cheaper, quicker and have a much wider collection.
It was a head ache for both the Wii and 3DS, not buying a Wii U since I'm so sick of it.
Wat?
I don't understand what you're referring too.

PhantomR

Banned
Customer service reply.

LOL. So that essentially means....nothing. Alright, nothing to see here folks. Keep up the pressure, but an email response from a customer service rep who's job it is to reply to emails about this issue with that exact response isn't news.

If Iwata or Reggie comment....or we get a press release, THEN we got a story.

This doesn't make any sense, if Nintendo were worried about that they could just block foregin region games by Parental control by default making it an option without having to force it upon adults.
Of all the lamest excuses....

Well, the customer service reply isn't entirely worthless....

Let's put it in context here. It tells us that customer service have a scripted reply to these issues. If we dug through the depths of the internet, I imagine we'd fine that's the reply they've given to many consumers who've asked the exact same question from them for years.

So, why is this interesting? Well....why the hell did a Nintendo PR rep "decline to comment" to a journalist about region locking? Why would they not simply quote from the old standby script? To me, the fact that they didn't stick to the old script there speaks volumes. It suggests that not only are the upper management aware of the campaign, but it's actively being discussed, and that it at least has a chance of succeeding. Because if they've already decided to ignore it, there's no way the PR rep wouldn't have stuck to the script.

The campaign continues!

Bullshit. Sony and Ms are both doing it too and I'm sure they have parental controls too.

GamerJM

Banned
Wow. The person who gave the statement really overlooked something.
zlCfzRB126sAk1lT-B

(Credits to Sadist.)

(1) Did your parents supervise you while you were ordering the game?
(2) At the moment that would mean those kind of people can't buy Nintendo games at all. I doubt that is what Nintendo wants.

1. Kind of. They didn't really look at what the games actually were, but the supervised with the ordering process and obviously inputted all of the personal info. I recognize this is an abnormal case though.
2. Nintendo makes a lot of money, and these people are a relatively small market. They'd probably try to avoid anything that could cause any sort of problems with parental controls. They probably want to avoid any sort of problem that could ever exist whatsoever with parent controls in order to maintain a family friendly image.

Granted I'm just playing devil's advocate at this point. I yeah'd dozens of Miiverse posts, posted a couple of my own, and tweeted about this. I think that it's definitely within Nintendo's best interest. And whoever brought up the Europe/Australia thing had a good point.

So true, hah. Not that it would help you, but by the logic Nintendo provided, Australia should have its own region in terms of hardware and games.

Fuck you, Nintendo. Fuck you.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

The campaign continues!
Complete bullshit indeed. If you import a foreign console and game you'll be avoiding those same "regional standards and rating systems", so saying that's the reason for region lock is basically calling their customers stupid.

I can't believe there's a petition for this but not for a unified wii u account system.
Feel free to start one.

Top Bottom