• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full length trailer for Hayao Miyazaki's Kaze Tachinu (The Wind has Risen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3AekHQy6lc

The trailer itself starts about a minute in. It's about 4 minutes long. Really awesome animation. Great direction. But goddamn, the male lead sounds BAD. Lol. That's what you get for casting the director of Evangelion who sounds like the 50 year old Japanese guy he is, as a young man. Wtf Miyazaki!? >_<

javac

Beautiful. The animation, the music, even the voice all looked and sounded perfect to me. This is going to be fantastic as always.

mxgt

Banned
Cautious about this, watched Ponyo recently for the first time and it was easily the weakest Miyazaki film I've seen

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Glad to see him returning to a film that is more serious in tone without a lot of fantasy elements (I mean, I love his fantasy movies! It's just good for a change of pace).

Also I love that it's set in the 1920s. I adore that era of Japanese history.

Cwarrior

Amazing visuals & shocking surprise 2d planes in 2013, I expect no less form miyazaki.

The main character, the young man's voice sounds like an old man reading a paper.

Daft_Cat

Well, that looks pretty fucking great.

Personally, I didn't bump on the voice actor at all, but I don't speak Japanese so it's hard for me to gauge performance.

That said, part of me definitely feels like if it wasn't a controversial casting choice to begin with, there wouldn't be as much complaining at the final result.

so1337

Miyazaki + Planes = Win. Porco Rosso is proof.

I still haven't seen Goro's latest joint. Both of those movies seem to share a more restrained tone.

/XX/

The plane animation is making me long for that rumored Porco Rosso sequel - looks great!
There was a mistranslation about that, as Mr. Miyazaki only commented (on that interview for the CUT magazine volume released for September, 2010) that the concept of a continuation for his graphical novel set at the Spanish Civil War would be "interesting" to realize, as in some form it would be a "Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie". Nothing was said about a film, sorry!

subrock

Wow that was a badly edited trailer. Huge fan of his films but that really sucked.

Edit: also, I don't speak Japanese but the voice stuck out as being really whiny and milquetoast.

was hoping for a fantasy setting....

A realistic setting is better for Miyazaki at this point, as it'll keep him from piling on elements until the whole narrative collapses into goop as in Howl's Moving Castle. Kaze Tachinu looks to be focused narrowly on Jiro's love for planes and for a woman, and I think that'll make a strong film. (Aside from Anno's voice, anyway.)

/XX/

A realistic setting is better for Miyazaki at this point, as it'll keep him from piling on elements until the whole narrative collapses into goop as in Howl's Moving Castle. Kaze Tachinu looks to be focused narrowly on Jiro's love for planes and for a woman, and I think that'll make a strong film. (Aside from Anno's voice, anyway.)
Come on, man... both the possibilities of constructing a strongly tied storytelling and a fantasy-world setting aren't mutually exclusive. Even on his particular case when he has tackled similar themes continuously, I don't think we can completely judge that inability without knowing what type of material to adapt or original story he could work on, less so using only one work as indicative (and knowing the problems that film's production had).

Looks lovely. And isn't it possible that the main character is narrating from a later age?

Can't be, because you see him talking at the end of Anno's speech.

Come on, man... both the possibilities of constructing a strongly tied storytelling and a fantasy-world setting aren't mutually exclusive. Even on his particular case when he has tackled similar themes continuously, I don't think we can completely judge that without knowing what type of material to adapt or original story he could work on, less so using only one work as indicative (and the problems that film's production had).

They certainly aren't exclusive, but after both Howl's and Ponyo I don't trust Miyazaki's ability to deliver a clearly realized fantasy story.

/XX/

They certainly aren't exclusive, but after both Howl's and Ponyo I don't trust Miyazaki's ability to deliver a clearly realized fantasy story.
We can trust together, man... if he gets the chance of doing another feature film. As Mr. Oshii commented, this keeps looking like an old man's farewell. :-(

Also, I see comments about Hideaki Anno's performance, but no one mentions the sound FX, specially evident during those earthquake cuts and all?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Hmmm a story about the Japanese guy who designed the Zero fighter used in World War 2 ? I don't know how I feel about this.

duckroll

Yeah... Disney aint localizing this.

Looking forward to it. Miyazaki's last bow?

Considering how GKids moved in for From Up On Poppy Hill, A Letter To Momo, and Wolf Children within a year or so, I would think they're definitely more likely to distribute this than Disney.

_dazed

I think if the movie is a older gentleman speaking in past tense about his life, I think using Anno was a good call. If he going to be using current tense, its going to be really strange having a 20 year old sound like an old man haha.

TheRancor

Anno's voice wasn't as bad as i thought but it's still fairly jarring nonetheless. I also still can't get over how good it looks visually. Hand drawn 2D planes and trains are such a rarity in anime nowadays.

TheOddOne

Dat scenery.

i8zFMw2WDLqpc.gif

ipRbE6LnSbjJE.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom