• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: GTA 4 delayed till April 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
People can scream the "Halo 3/Mass Effect" combo until they're blue in the face but it doesn't have anywhere near the impact that Halo 3/GTA 4 would have. I'm not saying that Mass Effect isn't going to be a great game, but it carries neither the name nor the track record that GTA does.

With that said, Nintendo will dominate holiday 2007 with relative ease. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Brothers Brawl outsell Mass Effect and Halo 3. It's going to be close, that's for sure. The GTA 4 delay benefits Nintendo the most.

As for the people that are saying Sony doesn't have anything to offer this fall/winter: are you insane? Unreal, Heavenly Sword, GT Prologue, and Ratchet and Clank all seem pretty damn relevant to me. The pendulum has swung in Sony's way because they're going to have an enormous March 08 if nothing is delayed. Microsoft will beat Sony during the holiday, but Sony seems to have a better 2008, in my opinion.

Pachael

Absinthe said:
People can scream the "Halo 3/Mass Effect" combo until they're blue in the face but it doesn't have anywhere near the impact that Halo 3/GTA 4 would have. I'm not saying that Mass Effect isn't going to be a great game, but it carries neither the name nor the track record that GTA does.

With that said, Nintendo will dominate holiday 2007 with relative ease. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Brothers Brawl outsell Mass Effect and Halo 3. It's going to be close, that's for sure. The GTA 4 delay benefits Nintendo the most.

As for the people that are saying Sony doesn't have anything to offer this fall/winter: are you insane? Unreal, Heavenly Sword, GT Prologue, and Ratchet and Clank all seem pretty damn relevant to me. The pendulum has swung in Sony's way because they're going to have an enormous March 08 if nothing is delayed. Microsoft will beat Sony during the holiday, but Sony seems to have a better 2008, in my opinion.

I agree with most of that - except the Sony doing better bit. Nintendo will wipe the floor off everybody else regardless if GTA4 came out this year or next - it wouldn't really affect them one bit. Hey guess what's in 2008? Wii FIT!

milanbaros

Member?
Absinthe said:

They will sell more in March than they would'veif it hadn't been delayed but their xmas lineup has been weakened considerably.

Big Nov/Dec >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Big March

Wollan

milanbaros said:
their xmas lineup has been weakened considerably.

Sony doesn't have anything to worry about software wise this fall.

PS3Lineup800px.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is bad news for the PS3 first and foremost. The lineup in 08 might be good, but missing the holiday boat with a GTA4 kick-start is going to hurt them more than MS (imo). Don't see this news effecting Nintendo much, unless the delay is for a port. :lol

USD

What the hell, how did I miss this thread. Well, at least it frees up a game to buy for the crowded fall lineup.

8-bit

Banned
Thats what i call good news !
Now i can still wait buying a PS3 until 2008, then i will get an PS3.1 anyway, with DVB-T, DVR, 80 or more GB, pads with Rumble.
Until then its Wii Fit :)

Wollan

Mefisutoferesu said:
Wooo, thanks wollan. Any chance you'd be willing to make a 360, wii, 3rd party graph, too?

That would making me seem like I was hating. ;) A third party one would be too insane though, many multiplatform games coming.

Yup bad news for the PS3,but terrible news for Microsoft whose only hope to revive european Xbox 360 sales was built around PES&GTA&considerably cheaper 360.

Now,it´s safe to bet that the PS3 will outsell the 360 in Japan&Europe(2007 holiday season) and it´s bad because I don´t see any way the 360 can compete with the PS3 next year in Europe,the biggest market for videogames now.

Parmenides said:
Yup bad news for the PS3,but terrible news for Microsoft whose only hope to revive european Xbox 360 sales was built around PES&GTA&considerably cheaper 360.

Now,it´s safe to bet that the PS3 will outsell the 360 in Japan&Europe(2007 holiday season) and it´s bad because I don´t see any way the 360 can compete with the PS3 next year in Europe,the biggest market for videogames now.
I agree, but in the US we will now see a total halo domination with full scale damage to the ps3.

MaX_PL

Banned
Absinthe said:

you smokin crack if you think those mario games will outsell halo and mass erect.

Tr4nce

I'm working alot lately, so I missed this topic, but all I can say is 'holy shit'.

Another reason not to buy a PS3 anytime soon.

:(

MaX_PL

Banned
Parmenides said:

can someone post total numbers of ps3s sold last month versus the 98k or so sold in the US?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Ok, so the delay of GTA = Death for both the PS3 and X360?

Christ, some of you people need to take a break. Next you will be screaming that its also doomed the DS to failure.

Taurus

MaX_PL said:
you smokin crack if you think those mario games will outsell halo and mass erect.
How about a bet? I say Wii duet (Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros Brawl combined) outsells MS duet (Halo 3 and Mass Effect combined). You disagree?

Mr YuYu

Taurus said:
How about a bet? I say Wii duet (Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros Brawl combined) outsells MS duet (Halo 3 and Mass Effect combined). You disagree?

hmmmm, difficult choice.But if i had to chose one, i think i'd put my money on the 360 games.

J-Rzez

People are saying there's no reason to buy a PS3 or 360 now? Cause of this? :lol There's a lot of other games coming out on these consoles that will hold their own, some surpass GTA...

milanbaros

Member?
Taurus said:

I wouldn't bet my account but WW I think SSBB and SMG will outsell Halo3 and Mass Effect. In Japan alone the two Nintendo games will probably give them a 2m cushion, possibly more.

Nolan.

Are games like Half-life 2, Ace combat 6 and Flatout still 2007 games.?

: Oh and does anyone know whats happening with kingdom under fire.

Prine

Banned
this thread is amazing ammo for halo crow thread keep it up guys

mario sunshine and smash bros brawl will outsell halo :lol

Haunted

J-Rzez said:
People are saying there's no reason to buy a PS3 or 360 now? Cause of this? :lol There's a lot of other games coming out on these consoles that will hold their own, some surpass GTA...
sales-wise? I can't think of anything other than Halo 3 that is even close to GTA numbers.

pswii60

Prine said:

I'd laugh with you, but even Brain Training has outsold Halo. Halo fans stand no chance against the soccer moms.

Burai said:
It's like Microsoft's launch window which doesn't finish until May 2023.

I was going to say that, but forgot the terminology they used. So 2008 is still part of Sony's 2007 'fall window'.

Mr YuYu

Kafel said:
"Free hands" for Nintendo this Fall.

I wouldn't bet my account but WW I think SSBB and SMG will outsell Halo3 and Mass Effect. In Japan alone the two Nintendo games will probably give them a 2m cushion, possibly more.

Looks like i chose the wrong horse to bet on :)

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Well, I've decided to make a text version of what Wollan did for 360 and PS3 to see how the lack of GTA would influence them (aka: what their lineups look like when you factor out GTA...and all the other 3rd party multiplatform titles)

1st Party (published by console manufacturer; I included that for those who were going to say "darr, some 'uh dose are sekund partee")

Blue Dragon
PGR4
Halo 3
Viva Pinata Party Animals
Mass Effect
Lost Odyssey

3rd Party Exclusives (360 and PC/360)
Beautiful Katamari
Ace Combat 6
Eternal Sonata
Bioshock
Naruto: Rise of a Ninja
Left 4 Dead

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS3

1st Party

Lair
Eye of Judgement
Hot Shots Golf 5
Heavenly Sword
Warhawk
Singstar
Folklore
GT5 Prologue
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Socom: Confrontation
Wipeout

3rd Party Exclusives
Unreal Tournament 3
Haze

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sony's first party support, for this year alone, is amazing. Wow. Wish I could afford a PS3.

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
So the real loser here is Take Two right? I mean, they can't be expecting as many people to be looking to buy games in April as they would have leading up to Xmas.

nofi

dirtmonkey37 said:
Sony's first party support, for this year alone, is amazing. Wow. Wish I could afford a PS3.

Yes, it is, but from that list both machines look about the game, gamewise. Well, apart from Wipeout, which seals the deal, Frank.

Edit: And LBP, MGS4, Killzone 2 early next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom