• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shining Force on Virtual Console: Time to Appreciate a Classic

bengraven

God, Sega is sitting on a ****ing goldmine and they don't even realize it.

Sure, the non-Force Shining games didn't do as well as they had hoped, but with SRPGs being much more common these days, they could be snapping on this quickly. I want to see SFII and a remake of Shining Force III as soon as possible (DS).

That said, SFII was one of the first games I played that simply shocked me. I expected to hate it and fell madly in love. After picking the game up, my Genesis was like the town whore...I didn't know where it was spending the night. Every friend I had just HAD to borrow it. And erase, re-erase, etc...

TheJollyCorner said:
so only Camelot can make a Shining Force in the mold of the first three?
Like Silent Hill 5's situation, I'm really starting to hate that excuse.
Aren't the newer games more sucessefull for Sega than the last true Shining Force was? Maybe they just don't wan't to embark into another epic RPG like III was just yet.

A game I think it inspired: anyone here ever play FEDA? Was it indeed very inspired by Shining Force? How was it overall? I remember a preview of it in EGM, but as it was never localized, I've never played through it. One of those titles that have stuck around in the back of your mind for years and years, remembered very rarely, but you'd still like to get around to.

feda-ii.jpg
feda-i.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I played the first 2 battles of FEDA, all in Japanese, as a ROM a while back... don't remember too much about it, aside from its stark similarities to the Shining Force games (except without the charm). Wonder if any translators are working on it?

bengraven

That does kind of look like a blander SF clone. Only with very similar art styles in the character art. And furries.

ethelred

TheJollyCorner said:

Agreed. Even with Camelot being gone, Sega really owes it to the franchise to try to make a new Shining Force game in the style they established and popularized. It's just such a shame to let it dwindle off like this.

I love love love love love this series... but sadly I haven't gotten to play the Saturn games. Sega, give me a compilation with all three games translated (extras disc included) and I will gladly give you my money.

I probably won't buy this since I have both the original cart and the awesome GBA remake, but it's nice to see some true Shining Force games getting love.

KyanMehwulfe said:
A game I think it inspired: anyone here ever play FEDA? Was it indeed very inspired by Shining Force? How was it overall? I remember a preview of it in EGM, but as it was never localized, I've never played through it. One of those titles that have stuck around in the back of your mind for years and years, remembered very rarely, but you'd still like to get around to.

FEDA, from what I've played of it, is more than slightly inspired by Shining Force. It's a fairly solid game but, as others have said, it's missing the kind of charm that the SF had. In particular the soundtrack is absolutely terrible compared to those of SF1 and 2. Good animation though.

sega4ever

TheJollyCorner said:

no, but camelot were the only ones to make a shining ANYTHING that was worth playing

MaddenNFL64 said:
Shining Force 2 is the king. Sorry, just had to say that. SF1, I never played :(.

Get the GBA remake if you can find it. If not, the original is still a fine game.

And you're right, SF2 is godly. I'm listening to the Symphonic Suite album now (a must-listen for SF fans) and hoping it gets a re-release.

CurseoftheGods said:
Shining series now : Shining Force :: Mana games now : Secret of Mana.

It's true :(

jay

KyanMehwulfe said:

feda-ii.jpg
feda-i.jpg

FEDA was made by Climax. Shining Force was made by Sonic and Climax because Sonic (Camelot) were only the Takahashi brothers and they needed more man power. Climax also worked on Shining in the Darkness and made Landstalker. Also, the character artist from SitD and SF1 did the character art for FEDA. From what I've read, Climax coded the SF battle system and decided to use it to make their own SRPG on the SNES, which was FEDA. I've played a few battles on the Saturn port but it doesn't seem as awesome as SF.

jay said:
FEDA was made by Climax. Shining Force was made by Sonic and Climax because Sonic (Camelot) were only the Takahashi brothers and they needed more man power. Climax also worked on Shining in the Darkness and made Landstalker. Also, the character artist from SitD and SF1 did the character art for FEDA. From what I've read, Climax coded the SF battle system and decided to use it to make their own SRPG on the SNES, which was FEDA. I've played a few battles on the Saturn port but it doesn't seem as awesome as SF.

4v7j9ck.jpg

Wow, it all makes sense now. Thanks for the info.

Javaman

I played through half of this game years ago on the Genesis but this thread inspired me to start playing the GBA release. I can't believe how ahead of the competition SF was. It's what, 15 years old? Truly a fun game without too much stressing required on how to complete the battles. I recommend the GBA version if you can find it cheaply since the graphics and control has been greatly improved. There are also 3 extra characters and some kind of card collectable sidequest that can help you out in battle. (or so I've read)

Link1110

john tv said:
Shining Force rocked. So did Shining Force II. And Shining Force III. And Shining Force CD, even!

BTW, did Shining in the Darkness ever come out on the US VC? It's been out in Japan for a while now...
Final Conflict, too.

I've been playing SF3 for the first time recently. Great game, also the Japanese version has the most hilariously engrishy name ever. A girl named Masculine. :D

jay

Link1110 said:
Final Conflict, too.

I've been playing SF3 for the first time recently. Great game, also the Japanese version has the most hilariously engrishy name ever. A girl named Masculine. :D

If you weren't already planning on it, I recommend playing the other two parts of the game, too. The fan translations aren't always great (or coherent English) but they make the titles much more playable. Finishing part 1 only is similar to playing only Shenmue 1 and 2. Oh, wait...

Man, I really want to buy this game, but here's the thing: I've got 600 Wii points sitting on my Wii and I'm not about to plunk down the ridiculous $10 minimum just to get 200 points. Why Nintendo gotta be like that?

ethelred

Link1110 said:

Very, very great game. I've always had a hard time decided between Shining Force 3 and 2 as my favorites in the series... they're both so much fun. SF2 has more of a nostalgic draw, and I like the more open-ended nature of some segments in it, and the branching promotions. But I like the improvements SF3 brought to the gameplay, and I love the scope of the story (especially how it ties into Shining the Holy Ark).

Charlatanized said:
Man, I really want to buy this game, but here's the thing: I've got 600 Wii points sitting on my Wii and I'm not about to plunk down the ridiculous $10 minimum just to get 200 points. Why Nintendo gotta be like that?

Hot dogs and buns.

Night_Trekker said:
Damn it, you people get into this thread right now and start showing this love-starved series some affection :(

I keep hoping someday the fanbase will prove to Sega that it really is worth it to revive this series properly, but... :(

traveler

Not Wario
Never touched this series in my life. Loved the first Fire Emblem though. Should I buy this now or wait for another version/superior sequel?

traveler said:
Never touched this series in my life. Loved the first Fire Emblem though. Should I buy this now or wait for another version/superior sequel?

I was in the same boat as you. There seems to be a lot of praise towards Shining Force, but I couldn't bring myself to play beyond the first battle on VC.

I think I would've appreciated this game a hundred times more if I started it back in the early 90's, instead of after playing through several Fire Emblems.

Johnkers

Funny this game just coming out, I've been playing the GBA remake and I have to say, this game seems to get pretty damn hard, especially compared to the two Fire Emblem games on GBA.

And the sequels being better? Awesome :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Haha, there's no way in hell that Shining Force 1 (Genny or GBA) is tougher than Fire Emblem.

Unless maybe you've beaten the GBA game a dozen times or so. (It gets a bit tougher with every replay).

traveler said:

If you're only going to play one of the Genesis games, wait for 2.

Johnkers

Mejilan said:
Haha, there's no way in hell that Shining Force 1 (Genny or GBA) is tougher than Fire Emblem.

Unless maybe you've beaten the GBA game a dozen times or so. (It gets a bit tougher with every replay).

Really? Maybe i'm playing it wrong or something. Half my team now die in one or two hits and can only do 1/2 damage in return. I never had this problem in Fire Emblem games which as much as I enjoyed, pretty much played through without losing a single character (although I did have to restart a few of the missions a couple of times)

Either way I'm enjoying and have enjoyed both series so far.

apujanata

Since it is released in US, I think it will be an english version. Can anyone confirm that it is in English ? I will buy this game if it is in English.

If only Nintendo release an English version of FE 1 - 5.

Mejilan

Shining Force just came out on the VC here in the US, so clearly it's the English version of the game.

Johnkers said:
Really? Maybe i'm playing it wrong or something. Half my team now die in one or two hits and can only do 1/2 damage in return. I never had this problem in Fire Emblem games which as much as I enjoyed, pretty much played through without losing a single character (although I did have to restart a few of the missions a couple of times)

Either way I'm enjoying and have enjoyed both series so far.

FE has a better balance, for certain. Put a couple of levels into your party (by replaying the first mission or two a few times) and you'll pretty much never lose a guy again. SF is CRAZY-exploitable too, whereas FE is typically a lot stingier in how much gold and exp you can earn. FE typically limits both. SF limits neither, since you can farm and grind to your heart's content.

That said, even if you don't farm and grind in SF, the game is STILL way easier than an FE I've played, though perhaps not initially, in SF's very beginning

ethelred

traveler said:

I think it's absolutely worth a try, yeah. The only sequel we're likely to get on Virtual Console is Shining Force II, which is a better game... but I don't think there's any point in waiting for that when: a) it's not confirmed for release yet, and b) there's a perfectly acceptable & playable game in the series here now. So play 1 to try things out, and if you like that, then you'll know you'll like 2 when it comes out (since 2 is a lot better).

AdmiralViscen said:
I will try this game because of you.

Excellent! Hope you enjoy.

Teddman

Mejilan said:
That said, even if you don't farm and grind in SF, the game is STILL way easier than an FE I've played, though perhaps not initially, in SF's very beginning
I don't know, I'm on chapter 8 of the GBA remake, and a lot of times I resort to sending my main character out like an angel of death, because he's the only one who deals out great damage to every enemy while usually taking very little.

If you don't intentionally level your characters and fight "practice battles" in SF: Resurrection, they often die in one hit by the time you get into the later chapters.

Mejilan

Still hoping for Shining in the Darkness though. Double Dungeons is like the worst kind of cock-tease. SitD is 1000000000x better. :(

firex

This game was my second SRPG after the original Ogre Battle, and I didn't know what to expect. But it's great. I don't mind that it's kind of Fire Emblem Light, with more focus on the RPG elements, because I think it's still balanced pretty well and still gets tough enough later on to make it challenging without being way too hard to figure out.

Also, it has such a huge variety of secret characters... most of them are really cool ones, too. I mean, granted, I still like Shining Force 2 more, but the first game is excellent. I kind of wish Camelot would do another game like this today, on any system (even if it was download-only on a console) because I bet they haven't lost their touch at all.

Shining Force is kind of like the FFT to Fire Emblem's Tactics Ogre. The only real difference is Shining Force doesn't copy nearly everything plot and character-wise from FE. Well, ok, and Shining Force doesn't overload you with a bunch of skills and classes that are hard to figure out - but it's very much like an easier, more RPG-focused version of FE. They even have multiple difficulties for Shining Force 2, with the top one being genuinely challenging on the level of most FE games (at least, a typical FE game on normal) despite lacking permadeath or item breaking.

sega4ever

i thought it had something to do with sega announcing the dreamcast or having everyone shift development to that before the 2nd or 3rd parts to part three were out yet.

i could be wrong and would also like to know more about what happened

Teddman said:
I don't know, I'm on chapter 8 of the GBA remake, and a lot of times I resort to sending my main character out like an angel of death, because he's the only one who deals out great damage to every enemy while usually taking very little.

It's tempting to overuse the strong characters, but don't do it. Later on you'll be left with weak party members who are close to useless.

Just keep a few weaker characters in the rear but close enough that they can run up and kill an enemy if it should happen to have a few hit points left. Make it a priority to keep everyone at around the same level, if possible. Characters that seem weak early on generally get much stronger after they promote (Gong especially, don't neglect him).

And if you have an insanely strong character, keep him/her slightly out of range and in reserve, allowing the lower level characters get the experience. If one of them gets in trouble, you can always bring that strong character in to save the day. I've even gone so far as to unequip strong characters so they do minimal damage with counterattacks and are less likely to make kills, while also absorbing enemy attacks.

If you don't intentionally level your characters and fight "practice battles" in SF: Resurrection, they often die in one hit by the time you get into the later chapters.

The only time I ever set out to level grind was in Shining Force 2, and that was because I did an uneven job leveling my characters. I haven't noticed that problem in RotDD.

MoxManiac

Why the **** does sega whore SF1 and completely neglect SF2? SF2 is the best of the series (I wasn't too thrilled with 3)

farnham

Banned
so i downloaded it and i like it very much.. its just like fire emblem in many ways...

i have some questions

do you need items to promote the characters..?
is there a way to revive the characters (there was in FE gaiden but most FE games dont allow that)..? or are they returning in the next battle like in Super Robot wars or FFT..?
how do you save..?

I lost several units on the first go.. just because i wanted to test how the game fares.. so im going to start over now... i usually want to clear the game without any units lost if its a FE style game

farnham said:
so i downloaded it and i like it very much.. its just like fire emblem in many ways...

i have some questions

No. You only have to be a certain level(10 I think..though I'm just going by the remake)
(However in Shining Force 2 there are certain hidden items that you can use to promote your party members to awesome classes)

You save and revive characters by visiting the priest.

farnham said:

i have some questions

do you need items to promote the characters..?

Not in Shining Force 1. A character has to be at level 10 or above to be promoted.

is there a way to revive the characters (there was in FE gaiden but most FE games dont allow that)..? or are they returning in the next battle like in Super Robot wars or FFT..?

Any characters killed in battle can be resurrected by speaking to a priest, but it can get expensive.

how do you save..?

Talk to any priest.

I lost several units on the first go.. just because i wanted to test how the game fares.. so im going to start over now... i usually want to clear the game without any units lost if its a FE style game

I don't remember if the original game records how many times you've lost each unit, but it has no effect on the game either way. It just costs you loads of gold to revive them.

ethelred

Night_Trekker said:
Not in Shining Force 1. A character has to be at level 10 or above to be promoted.

Right. You can promote as early as level 10, though you can also level a character up to 20 (the maximum) and promote him at that point.

I've just finished getting Arthur and Khris up to level 20 and promoted them to Paladin and Vicar respectively... now to work on the rest of the team. A fully-leveled promoted Arthur is truly a force to be reckoned with.

Night_Trekker said:
I don't remember if the original game records how many times you've lost each unit, but it has no effect on the game either way.

Nope. While the later Shining Force games record how many enemies each character has killed and how many times each character has been exhausted, Shining Force does not.

Teddman

Night_Trekker said:
I don't remember if the original game records how many times you've lost each unit, but it has no effect on the game either way. It just costs you loads of gold to revive them.
In the GBA remake, it does have a minor effect... Resurrected characters will no longer tell you their stories in the HQ, or they will speak to you far less often there.

Jiggy

Night_Trekker said:
The only time I ever set out to level grind was in Shining Force 2, and that was because I did an uneven job leveling my characters.
While we're kind of on the topic, does SF2 handle grinding in the same way as SF1? e.g. Fighting the same battle repeatedly, as opposed to something like FFT or Fire Emblem 8 where there are random battles.

I'm not sure I mind either way, just wondering.

ethelred

Jiggy37 said:
While we're kind of on the topic, does SF2 handle grinding in the same way as SF1? e.g. Fighting the same battle repeatedly, as opposed to something like FFT or Fire Emblem 8 where there are random battles.

I'm not sure I mind either way, just wondering.

Bit of the latter, bit of the former.

Whereas Shining Force and Shining Force III both follow a chapter structure where you have world map movement and fixed battles within a limited area before progressing to the next area, Shining Force II has a wide-open, fully explorable world map. No chapters -- you just wander across the world map at will, with the ability to revisit past areas and in some cases to get to areas earlier than intended. You do have random encounters in certain segments of the world map... but you can also refight specific battles repeatedly, same as Shining Force.

farnham

Banned
thanx for the answers

I really like the style.. its certainly not like the FE battle animations.. but stylish in their own right.. funny how few games have adopted that view (from comparable 2D RPGs)

Teddman said:
In the GBA remake, it does have a minor effect... Resurrected characters will no longer tell you their stories in the HQ, or they will speak to you far less often there.

Whoa, really? I didn't notice that. I'll have to be more careful.

Bog said:
Gort is the damn man.

You goddamn right he is.

Top Bottom