• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 Forge Brainstorm-a-thon (post your ideas here)

Brannon

Forge is said to be a lot of random fun, limited only by your imagination (and system restraints). We know of Jenga and Magic Carpet Ride, now let's really go out there!

--Chess--

And let's bring it back in! Setting up blocks efficiently on a relatively flat surface can yield a pretty impressive chessboard. Then you can spawn other objects to act as chess pieces. Hell, if there are more than 6 people you can even use other players as the more powerful chess pieces, if they're game. Imagine being a monitor and telling one of the players to capture the pawn, and they blast it off the map with a Spartan Laser and move to its spot... Imagine en passant with a Gravity Hammer... Imagine checkmate with the Fourth Grenade...

Would probably take a little time to set up.

--Deal or No Deal--

Hide small objects of increasing value behind Fuel Cells and have the player participate in the almost greatest game of all time (not rly). You can have another monitor float around and verify items or you can just shoot the Fuel Cells from your vantage point to expose the prize. The biggest prize being a Spartan hidden behind the Fuel Cell, so if you shoot it and you didn't pick that 'briefcase'... oops.

This could totally work!

Proelite

Dota Halo mode without the creeps. Sort of. Players get a supply of cash, and can use it to purchase weapons via their forge form. Players also have maximum health, and maximum shields that supercharges. A kill gives more cash..

Halo golf.

Wollan

Someone really need to explain Jenga to me. I've seen that term been thrown left and right lately. Is it a anime? Is it a mech?

Btw, my Forge contribution would be to have Spartans defending, warthogs circled with the vicious Elite tribesmen attacking with Ghosts.

Wollan said:
Someone really need to explain Jenga to me. I've seen that term been thrown left and right lately. Is it a anime? Is it a mech?

Btw, my Forge contribution would be to have Spartans defending, warthogs circled with the vicious Elite tribesmen attacking with Ghosts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenga
I imagine its played in forge by stacking boxes and then having people remove them one by one.

I'm not creative enough so I'll probably use it mostly to edit maps in crazy ways by throwing around boxes :p

LukeSmith

We just recorded an entire special edition podcast on The Forge for release as soon as the online embargo is up (later this month). Tyson Green and Lars Bakken sat in with Stinkles and myself.

GhaleonEB

I think it would help if you included a detailed description of how Forge works, and it's relationship to custom games and file sharing. :p

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'll brainstorm for forge later, but i did want to post an idea i had for saved films here.

i demand that someone with some sort of creative ability and know how create a halo 3 movie using saved films. i would LOVE to have a HD video of the entire games story to watch whenever i wanted. i imagine this film to have all the cutscenes from the game, with choreographed saved films of awesome level bits in between to make it all flow together. the in game dialogue for ai chatter or story bits could be cut and added into the saved film as needed.

Odysseus

Banned
so is forge some type of customization / modding tool or something? i'm guessing it doesn't apply to a single player setting, though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
while i'm talking about saved films, frankie or luke, can you tell me if we'll be able to completely remove the hud from a saved film while viewing from the gameplay first person view?

Odysseus said:
so is forge some type of customization / modding tool or something? i'm guessing it doesn't apply to a single player setting, though.
Basically, you have the option to go into a multiplayer map, turn into a monitor, and place all sorts of objects/modify weapon spawns, etc. At least, that's my understanding of it. Oh, and any "gametypes" to be played with it would have to be done using the honor system (think Zombies in Halo 2).

watership

LukeSmith said:
We just recorded an entire special edition podcast on The Forge for release as soon as the online embargo is up (later this month). Tyson Green and Lars Bakken sat in with Stinkles and myself.

Awesome. Thanks Luke.

LukeSmith

op_ivy said:
while i'm talking about saved films, frankie or luke, can you tell me if we'll be able to completely remove the hud from a saved film while viewing from the gameplay first person view?

Yes you can.

GhaleonEB

Odysseus said:
Forge allows you to customize everything about a multiplayer map except the geometry. So drop fusion cores, tanks and crates in. Change weapon and player spawn points and timers, the amount of ammo each weapon has. Change object attributes (infinite gravity lift is one Stinkles used), build barricades, change locations of objectives - everything.

While tinkering you play as a monitor, such as Guilty Spark, then can toggle instantly to a Spartan to run around the map playing. Everyone on the map can be doing this at once, resulting in the meta games people are talking aobut.

But the real kicker I think is combining Forge with custom game options. You can save Forge creations, then use that map as a basis for custom games, including player traits and such. One simple example Stinkles used was building barricades of stuff outside of a base in a game of Infection, with the humans trapped in the inside.

Forge and custom game creations can be sent to Friends via file sharing, and the publicly shared creations are brows-able on Bungie.net, where you can flag the ones you are interested in. They'll download automatically the next time you turn your 360 on.

It is in short one part of a set of community tools from the gods. :D

GhaleonEB said:
Forge allows you to customize everything about a multiplayer map except the geometry. So drop fusion cores, tanks and crates in. Change weapon and player spawn points and timers, the amount of ammo each weapon has. Change object attributes (infinite gravity lift is one Stinkles used), build barricades, change locations of objectives - everything.

While tinkering you play as a monitor, such as Guilty Spark, then can toggle instantly to a Spartan to run around the map playing. Everyone on the map can be doing this at once, resulting in some fun meta games.

But the best thing is combining Forge with custom game options. You can save Forge creations, then use that map as a basis for custom games, including player traits and such. One simple example Stinkles used was building barricades of stuff outside of a base in a game of Infection, with the humans trapped in the inside.

Forge and custom game creations can be sent to Friends via file sharing, and the publicly shared creations are brows-able on Bungie.net, where you can flag the ones you are interested in. They'll download automatically the next time you turn your 360 on.

Nice summary Ghaleon!

Never knew you could change object attributes, should make it even more interesting.

Odysseus

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

While tinkering you play as a monitor, such as Guilty Spark, then can toggle instantly to a Spartan to run around the map playing. Everyone on the map can be doing this at once, resulting in some fun meta games.

But the best thing is combining Forge with custom game options. You can save Forge creations, then use that map as a basis for custom games, including player traits and such. One simple example Stinkles used was building barricades of stuff outside of a base in a game of Infection, with the humans trapped in the inside.

eh, sounds cool to try out. not sure i'd be heavily into it, but that's probably because i'm primarily interested in the campaign. well, that, and not having live. or, you know...

GhaleonEB said:

While tinkering you play as a monitor, such as Guilty Spark, then can toggle instantly to a Spartan to run around the map playing. Everyone on the map can be doing this at once, resulting in the meta games people are talking aobut.

But the real kicker I think is combining Forge with custom game options. You can save Forge creations, then use that map as a basis for custom games, including player traits and such. One simple example Stinkles used was building barricades of stuff outside of a base in a game of Infection, with the humans trapped in the inside.

Dayumm

I just hope its accessible and people use it.

armubaba

Once you actually think about it, the possibilities for Forge itself are endless. Different weapon sets, playing in creative ways (Jenga, DoND), dropping in objects, everything just seems so awesome. I think that once Halo 3 is released, it's only a matter of time until somebody thinks up the next "Zombies," puts it online, and everybody is playing it. The community aspect of Halo 3 is what I'm really excited for. GAF games with Forge? Count me in, muthafuckers. I cannot wait for the 25th. :D

GhaleonEB said:

Did you mention though that you can't add infinite amounts of items? You can only "buy" certain amounts says EGM. One wonders how limited it really is...

GhaleonEB

CreepingDea7h said:
Nice summary Ghaleon!

Never knew you could change object attributes, should make it even more interesting.
Just to be careful, I kind of inferred that from a post Stinkles made, where he used the infinate gravity lift as an example. I fully expect to be owned by him any second now.

stinkles said:
With 8 people simultaneously building a map, it's incredible - blocking all the entrances to High Ground with junk, then barricading humans in the fort for a game of Infection is about the simplest possible idea.

The possibilities with teleporters, weapons, objects, vehicles, game rules, player traits, spawn points, special custom items (a grav lift that never expires) are literally infinite.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7326165&postcount=3958

Firestorm

GhaleonEB said:

Holy crap, that sounds pretty awesome. I don't even know when this was revealed, was it during that co-op thread?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ghaleon, how can you play maps in a more public setting? Say you messaged me and said, "let's play this forge creation I just made." And maybe you could send it individually to me, but say 12 other people were going to play to. Would it function like CS/DoD and just download that map for everybody before loading or does everything have to be privately sent?

Either way, this sounds pretty neat.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
I think we need to be realistic about how much we can do in forge. For every object engine needs to track its location and state. And then it has to handle the physics and how it interacts with other objects.

Ideas that assume you can drop an infinite (or too many) number of objects on the map will not fly.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, this is pretty much amazing.

To expand on the Infection idea, you could easily barricade in the fort on High Ground and then set up your weapon spawn so that you have a practically infinite supply of respawning human weapons - however, all the weapons have less rounds before needing to be reloaded, calling for you to constantly be without firing capability. The infected players could spawn with swords and possibly limited shields, but set on instant respawn when they die. So you end up with a massive amount of infected players trying to get inside the base, and when they're killed they instantly respawn and are on the attack, again. What was fun about Zombie games was that it's really, really easy to kill the first zombie player, but eventually he gets lucky and gets someone, and then eventually they get lucky and get someone. The games take a long time, but that's part of the fun. I can only imagine the epic-ness of standing inside the base, firing down on a huge amount of zombies instantly respawning, clawing to get inside the base.

Gadfly said:
I think we need to be realistic about how much we can do in forge. For every object engine needs to track its location and state. And then it has to handle the physics and how it interacts with other objects.

Ideas that assume you can drop an infinite (or too many) number of objects on the map will not fly.
It's been announced that you have a limited amount of "points" to spend on objects.

Gadfly said:
Cocopjojo said:
It's been announced that you have a limited amount of "points" to spend on objects.
True, and I believe Stinkles said recently that the number of props/objects was map restricted so its certainly not infinite.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, I predict this thread will be awesome and full of win.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Forge makes me wonder how Bungie used their poly budget and ram budget. For allowing things to be thrown in on the fly by various people and the unpredictability that it brings, they are undershooting what their engine can really do in regular matchmaking. Forge should allow us to see just how impressive it really is. I can't wait to ticker with it.

RumFore

Banned
Got damn don't you people get tired of all these Halo 3 threads? Halo 3 box art, 20 pages. Halo 3 4 player coop, 90 pages. Halo 3 screen shot with clouds in the background 50 pages. My gosh.

GhaleonEB

Y2Kev said:
Ghaleon, how can you play maps in a more public setting? Say you messaged me and said, "let's play this forge creation I just made." And maybe you could send it individually to me, but say 12 other people were going to play to. Would it function like CS/DoD and just download that map for everybody before loading or does everything have to be privately sent?

Either way, this sounds pretty neat.
If I place the game on my shared files, I can tell everyone to download "Massive Pile of Crates" from my list. (The beta had six files you could share publicly at once. Not sure how many the final game will have.)

I'm not sure if you can send the files to multiple friends at once.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
stinkles said:
The possibilities with teleporters, weapons, objects, vehicles, game rules, player traits, spawn points, special custom items (a grav lift that never expires) are literally infinite.
stinkles said:
The possibilities with teleporters
lol wut
stinkles said:
The possibilities with vehicles
Could you at least give an example of this, Stinkles (or Luke)? Can you change characteristics/properties of vehicles?

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
RumpledForeskin said:
Got damn don't you people get tired of all these Halo 3 threads? Halo 3 box art, 20 pages. Halo 3 4 player coop, 90 pages. Halo 3 screen shot with clouds in the background 50 pages. My gosh.

We need a thread to socialize. That's all.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
The films that we saved in the beta, will we be able to access those with the final game?

LukeSmith

Agent Icebeezy said:
The films that we saved in the beta, will we be able to access those with the final game?

No, those are gone forever. They live on only in your hearts and on places where they were uploaded to the tubes and tunnels that make up the Internet.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Scarecrow said:
Luke, can you limit max clip size for guns in forge?

EGM says you can modify "ammo count." So, I'd say yes.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Cocopjojo said:
EGM says you can modify "ammo count." So, I'd say yes.

think when you pick up a gun and how much bullets are in the clip

or...

how much of the battery has been used

(i think)

RumpledForeskin said:

Halo has a huge fanbase -- large enough to fuel this many threads. Is it really that much of a surprise?

LukeSmith said:
No, those are gone forever. They live on only in your hearts and on places where they were uploaded to the tubes and tunnels that make up the Internet.

This is not true. My videos are still up -- LET ME PLAY THEM, DAMMIT!

Brannon

Joe said:
wtf is halo 3 forge?

It's the Halo 3 mode that will let you create

--Fuel Cell Clay Pigeon Shootout!--

On the Valhalla map, station Monitors at each Man-cannon ready to drop Fuel cells. One Spartan with overmaxxed shields will be trying to shoot the Cells while stationed on one of the cliffs. He'll be with a Monitor who'll keep count of how many you shot and will give you prizes if you get a certain amount. On the opposite cliff, other Spartans will be dicks and toss weak grenades and rockets at you trying to disrupt your aiming...

You'll have to decide what the scores shall be.

The monitor can also drop things that aren't Fuel Cells, or maybe force a Spartan to become a projectile. Shooting the Spartan yields bonus points!

Scarecrow

DopeyFish said:
think when you pick up a gun and how much bullets are in the clip

or...

how much of the battery has been used

(i think)

Yeah, but let's say that I don't want them to be able to pick up any ammo. Ex: Say you want a Sniper Rifle to have only one shot, and not be able to have any more bullets to it. You wouldn't be able to pick up any more ammo for it even if you run accross another rifle. Could I do that?

GhaleonEB

RiskyChris said:
Halo has a huge fanbase -- large enough to fuel this many threads. Is it really that much of a surprise?
And more to the point, Forge hasn't received much discussion as of yet.

I simply want to use Escort to make a fun race track with the plot points forming a circuit. Lots of fusion cores, gravity lifts and piles crates along the sides of the "track". I'm currently think of Valhalla.

An example of a custom game in the new EGM is "Hammer Time". It's King of the Hill with the Gravity Hammer as the only weapon. Gravity is set low, and players are invincible when inside the hill. So you swat'em out with the hammer and they go flying thanks to the low gravity.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Brannon said:
It's the Halo 3 mode that will let you create

--Fuel Cell Clay Pigeon Shootout!--

On the Valhalla map, station Monitors at each Man-cannon ready to drop Fuel cells. One Spartan with overmaxxed shields will be trying to shoot the Cells while stationed on one of the cliffs. He'll be with a Monitor who'll keep count of how many you shot and will give you prizes if you get a certain amount. .
During the Beta, we did this with the land mine and snipers. It was awesome.

MaX_PL

Banned
i'm not really sure what this thread is about, but i just wanna say that i'd like a map editor in Halo 3.

please Bungie.

SpudBud

MaX_PL said:
i'm not really sure what this thread is about, but i just wanna say that i'd like a map editor in Halo 3.

please Bungie.
Not happening, but forge is the next best thing.

Top Bottom