• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM: Why splitting Xbox One's OS RAM allocation is good for developers

I2amza

I think he is saying that MS did some research and from the results cancelled something. We will be amazed when we find out what got cancelled.

So there is a possibility something is getting cancelled due to low interest. BUT not verified or confirmed yet. It's just word coming across at MS atm.

nib95

Banned
leaks are fun. But if MS is cancelling more design elements, I gotta shake my head.

Meh, let em change stuff based on what us gamers want. Nothing wrong with that. So far following the core gamer vocal internet brigade has improved the system, so I'm all for it.

Can't be the Kinect requirement because without the Kinect requirement what you get is basically a shittier PS4. The Xbox One's defining element at this point is the Kinect.

JJD

You're not the only one, according to Microsoft's internal metrics into existing applications 360. More details will appear in the middle of September. Big News in a cancellation, so once you get the check. You will be amazed.

He said he is trying to get confirmation before posting anything about the cancellation on GAF. I wonder what it could be...something regarding Xbox One apps ecosystem going by what CBOAT said.

Barzul

Cancellation? Might be no Kinect, he/she said it'd make us say wow. Can't think of much that would do that since DRM got ditched.

Microsoft is aware that not everyone is interested in apps etc. More details of the apps and digital ecosystem will appear in September, but there could also be a potentially big cancellation of some kind, which if Cboat confirms, will surprise and amaze us.

Halo 5 cancelled, it is known

jk

Big cancellation incoming? We will say wow?

The Xbox One failtrain appears to be the gift that keeps on giving.

For the record, after they did their 180 I don't want them to fail completely, because competition is good for the industry, but almost everything related to the the Xbox One has just been so embarrassing and bad you can't help laughing at it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Can't be the Kinect requirement because without the Kinect requirement what you get is basically a shittier PS4. The Xbox One's defining element at this point is the Kinect.

i'd be willing to bet that one will have a better online and app experience then ps4.

hawk2025

Perhaps the NFL negotiations were simply too expensive and fell apart, based on MS's read of the demand for the feature and how much it would cost?

But that was demoed at E3, right? hhmmmm...

nib95

Banned
Big things related to OS functionality that could make us go wow...

1. No mandatory or included Kinect (Cboat has implied that this is unlikely previously).
2. No more DVR or TV functionality.
3. No more multi-tasking functionality.

Less wow.

3. Dropped NFL partnership.
4. Cancelled Halo TV series.
5. Cancelled game or title.

cchum

Halo tv was probably the thing axed (if anything was cancelled). Cross media things like that rarely work well.

Same here, unless one of the announced games or apps is going really badly behind the scenes.

Wasn't there news that a non-faked presentation behind the scenes at the May reveal showed some of the multitasking to be in extremely bad shape, yielding embarrassingly poor frame-rate for the game being showed. Maybe their internal market research finally clued them into the fact that not a lot of people will pay $500 for a box that lets you watch tv on your tv, so they went ahead and canceled some of that stuff because they are having trouble getting it to work?

Since they focused so much time on that during their reveal, it would certainly make us say wow.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Big things related to OS functionality that could make us go wow...

1. No mandatory or included Kinect (Cboat has implied that this is unlikely previously).
2. No more DVR or TV functionality.
3. No more multi-tasking functionality.

Less wow.

3. Dropped NFL partnership.
4. Cancelled Halo TV series.
5. Cancelled game or title.
Oh shit, it may be the Halo series. Nothing has been filmed yet.

Chobel

clos

Usted no es el único, de acuerdo a las métricas internas de Microsoft en aplicaciones existentes 360. Más detalles aparecerán en la mitad de septiembre. Noticia grande en una cancelación, así, una vez que obtenga la verificación. Usted se sorprenderá.

I just love being a GAFer.
What's being canceled??

prwxv3

Wasn't there news that a non-faked presentation behind the scenes at the May reveal showed some of the multitasking to be in extremely bad shape, yielding embarrassingly poor frame-rate for the game being showed. Maybe their internal market research finally clued them into the fact that not a lot of people will pay $500 for a box that lets you watch tv on your tv, so they went ahead and canceled some of that stuff because they are having trouble getting it to work?

Since they focused so much time on that during their reveal, it would certainly make us say wow.

This makes sense.

hawk2025

Yeah, there's video of that.

But then it was demoed again at E3 (I haven't watched this second video myself, however) and apparently it was much snappier at that point.

op_ivy

you will be amazed --- you will say wow makes me think the cancellation would be seen as a positive. kinect required is the only cancellation that would be seen by most as a good thing.

LifEndz

So now I'm using an in-game app(s) while playing a game in addition to my smart glass functionality? I'd really like to see something that justifies the added cost of Kinect.

you will be amazed --- you will say wow makes me think the cancellation would be seen as a positive. kinect required is the only cancellation that would be seen by most as a good thing.

I wouldn't be happy if they cancelled the mandatory kinect. Kinect is awesome but undeveloped technology. I would love to see the concept be fully fleshed out but it never will if it's not standard.

i'd be willing to bet that one will have a better online and app experience then ps4.

The PS4 has all of the current features that are missing from Steam or the current Xbox 360 so that's a wash. Perhaps the Xbox One might have better app selection like HBO or whatever but who gives a fuck about this when every modern smart device basically does non-cable bullshit better than any console will ever do because touch screens are so intuitive and fast to use.

Which is probably what CBOAT was getting at. I can't see people reacting well to app and app multitasking because this isn't 2005/2006 anymore. We've moved a million miles in terms of usability and ease of content consumption. Currently, tablets not only have much better developed app stores but have far better experiences than consoles. Unless the Kinect can literally mind-read with 100% accuracy and process natural text like nothing before, there's nothing the Xbox One can do better than existing devices on the market. In fact, Sony's implementation with (presumably) the touchpad is probably a better idea because the idea is known to work extremely well.

op_ivy

I wouldn't be happy if they cancelled the mandatory kinect. Kinect is awesome but undeveloped technology. I would love to see the concept be fully fleshed out but it never will if it's not standard.

i think i agree. i'm interested in what 2.0 could do, but only if its supported and to be truly supported i think every system needs it.

but i think you and i are rare, hence why i said most would see it as a good move.

that said, if removing it drops the price by 100+, i wont lose sleep of it missing and i'd pick up the kinect-less version day 1

JJD

Gold for online gaming???

LOL that will never be cancelled.

That would be really a huge, huge megaton! Haha!

It all comes down to how much money MS is willing to lose.

In the long run it would be better for MS to eat the losses now and sell the One with Kinect for 399 than make Live free.

Top Bottom