• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

I always owned a gamecube ,but now I'm expanding my collection.
For example: Bought some gamecube games at a local flea market.

Star Fox Adventures
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Sonic Mega Collection
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Need for Speed: Underground 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Sonic Heroes
Mario Party 5

It's easy to buy 8 games if they only cost 1,- per game.

I set up Devolution + USB Loader GX on my Wii recently, and I am in Gamecube heaven. All my Cube (and Wii) discs are ripped to Hdd and run perfectly. You can even force widescreen on them. It might not be the original hardware, but seeing as how it brings my library out of storage and to the press of a button, it's a Cube renaissance in my house right now.

Same for me, seeing all the cubes classics over HDMI is delicious.

danclarke

Neo Member
Happy to announce that Ray Barnholt (@rdbaaa) of 1-UP/Retronauts/Scroll.vg will be one of the writers contributing to Project Dolphin / DOL001

D-e-f-

Banned
Happy to announce that Ray Barnholt (@rdbaaa) of 1-UP/Retronauts/Scroll.vg will be one of the writers contributing to Project Dolphin / DOL001

Okay, now I just need to know what Project Dolphin/DOL001 actually is. :)

edit: oh this one?

I'd be very grateful if you would follow @DOL001 on twitter - I'm working on a new print project that I think Gamecube/Dolphin fans will really like - its the 'spiritual successor' to MD001 -

http://cargocollective.com/Wolfsburg/Megadrive-me-MD001-Print-Project

If you follow on twitter ill be keeping the project updated and ill be giving away one of the first set of prints to a follower.

^that link is 404'ing btw.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I have no GC any more but I still have my GC RE collection. Wouldn't give it away for anything.

I may rebuy the GC at one point since Nintendo seems to be unwilling to release HD versions of the Metroid Prime series...

Is Ebay still the best place to pick up Wavebirds in the UK or is there a better source? Still have an original one that works but would like to get a second one.

danclarke

Neo Member
Okay, now I just need to know what Project Dolphin/DOL001 actually is. :)

edit: oh this one?

^that link is 404'ing btw.

Cheers I'll fix the link -

The Project is a set of graphic posters like these:

DOL-indigo-print_900.png

DOL-spice-print_2_900.png

DOL-black-print_900.png

Each one folds down to fit in a sleeve like this:

DOL-001-open-02_16_900.png

Which has been designed to be the same size as one of these boxes:

cameogame_warioware_mpg_4.jpg

Dizzy-4U

Hey guys, does the gamecube version of Crazy Taxi have The Offspings songs? How's the port by the way?

I have the chance of buying it for cheap, but Crazy Taxi ain't Crazy Taxi without The Offspings.

Hey guys, does the gamecube version of Crazy Taxi have The Offspings songs? How's the port by the way?

I have the chance of buying it for cheap, but Crazy Taxi ain't Crazy Taxi without The Offspings.

The Offspring and Bad Religion songs as well as the real-world store franchise licenses are all still in. Acclaim handled the port, so I don't know how close the Arcade/DC quality it is though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Went ahead and bought both Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2. I had VJ1 before, but I didn't beat it because I wasn't enough of a man at the time. However, I am considerably more of a man now. I intend to seek the glory.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The Offspring and Bad Religion songs as well as the real-world store franchise licenses are all still in. Acclaim handled the port, so I don't know how close the Arcade/DC quality it is though.
Someone once told me it actually has superior draw distance to the DC version.

Anth0ny

Went ahead and bought both Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2. I had VJ1 before, but I didn't beat it because I wasn't enough of a man at the time. However, I am considerably more of a man now. I intend to seek the glory.

I have the PS2 version of VJ1 for some reason? Haven't played it yet but I'd like to.

Is it any good or should I seek out the GC version?

Danny Dudekisser

I have the PS2 version of VJ1 for some reason? Haven't played it yet but I'd like to.

It's fine -- has Dante as an extra playable character, though the GC version's supposed to run better/have more detail.

At least, that's my recollection from 2005 or so.

Seik

Banned
Me and a friend just finished Mario Golf Toadstool Tour. That last level was intense. O_O

It's one chance we were doing the trick of quick saving and going back at the beginning of the hole when things were going to hell. D:

oatmeal

Banned
Was trolling CL last night and found some disk-only copies of:

Zelda: Ocarina/Master Quest - $2.50
Super Mario Sunshine - $10 (Never find this one anywhere locally so I jumped on it)
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes Disk 2 (lol...whoops) - $2.50

Pretty solid.

Novocaine

Yeah as said before you get Dante as an unlockable in the PS2 version, which almost makes it preferable. Either way it's an amazing game.

IrishNinja

Was trolling CL last night and found some disk-only copies of:

Zelda: Ocarina/Master Quest - $2.50
Super Mario Sunshine - $10 (Never find this one anywhere locally so I jumped on it)
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes Disk 2 (lol...whoops) - $2.50

Pretty solid.

given the recent inflate on GC stuff, these prices are stupid-cheap...congrats man!

oatmeal

Banned
given the recent inflate on GC stuff, these prices are stupid-cheap...congrats man!

Thanks, I'm trying to rebuild my GC collection. SNES games are hard to find here in VEGAS unless you want to pay stupid high prices...but GC seems to be sitting fairly cheap still. NES and N64 games are just...they didn't age as well as GC/SNES.

I wish these had cases, but what can ya do?

Me and a friend just finished Mario Golf Toadstool Tour. That last level was intense. O_O

It's one chance we were doing the trick of quick saving and going back at the beginning of the hole when things were going to hell. D:

It's not something many associate with a golf game, but man that game was BRUTAL.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Cover project is wonderful. I use them for my loose Genesis carts.

Yep. I've contributed a few things on their forum, but never actually submitted them to the site. Posted an updated Valkyria Chronicles cover with the "new" box art style, and cleaned up a Star Ocean Second Evolution cover for printing.

Also had to make my own cover for Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance for GCN, because I couldn't find that anywhere. Edited an Xbox cover to make it, I think.

For Gameboy Player owners there are several covers for the start-up disc on there too, which helps it fit in with your game collection better than that little clear plastic case.

That's really clever. The GBP start up disc still blends in with JP GCN imports though, especially if you still have the slip cover. Regardless, I think I'll look into printing a replacement cover for my GBP disc.

Danny Dudekisser

So, the only GC game I'd had a chance to use component cables with was Twilight Princess, and while it looked good, it didn't look night and day better than a PS2 game in terms of video quality. That's probably due to TP using a ton of bloom and other nonsense that keeps it from looking super-sharp.

Been playing F-Zero GX the last couple of days, and holy shit. I had no idea a standard def system could look this good. Like... what? The clarity is just astounding.

So it took almost a year, but I feel like investing in component cables was worth it. And I'm glad I bought them a year ago, because they have skyrocketed in price since.

Tripon

I visited Games for Less in Fullerton, and it was a huge store filled with retro games. But this is a place that knew their prices and priced it accordingly. Outside of a few rare exceptions, like Metroid Prime Trilogy for $25 used. Unfortunately, they were out by the time I visited.

Anyway, I was interested in the GC version of Ikaruga, still sealed for $30.I didn't pick it up, but is that a good price? I will probably go back in a month or two and feel fairly confident it will still be there, so there's no hurry.

Yuterald

Curious about something. How much of a difference is there in playing Gamecube games using component cables through the Wii on an HDTV as opposed to the official GC component cables on a SDTV with component inputs?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Curious about something. How much of a difference is there in playing Gamecube games using component cables through the Wii on an HDTV as opposed to the official GC component cables on a SDTV with component inputs?

Big difference for two reasons.

First, playing SD content on a SDTV means no scaling (or in some sub-native res cases, less scaling). So unless the TV is just a piece of crap, all other things equal the SDTV is going to give you a better picture.

Second, the Wii has worse video output. So even on the same TV with the same type of cable and signal the Gamecube will look better.

So better video output + better TV for an SD signal means that option will look a lot better.

Nice tip for any of the Aus Gaf'ers. I called up Nintendo of Australia and they had Gamecube component cables available for $46.

Apparently they're almost out though, they're also limited to 1 per customer.

Nice tip for any of the Aus Gaf'ers. I called up Nintendo of Australia and they had Gamecube component cables available for $46.

Apparently they're almost out though, they're also limited to 1 per customer.

Yeah, I remember quite a few pages back, a guy mentioned this and we all went nuts trying to buy them. When I called the guy asked which forum this was discovered on, since they suddenly had heaps of calls out of nowhere for them!

Definitely worth doing though, if you haven't already. They let me get 2 :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Are those cables region free? I'd kill to buy one but I'm all the way up in Canada... :(

It's a cable, so yes.

I'd be interested in getting one if someone order it for me and ship it to the US, but chances are anyone buying it would rather use it for themselves or sell it for a whole lot more.

You could always call nintendo of australia and just give it a try. Who knows they might be happy to ship international. Ive heard of nintendo japan doing it.

pikablu

So I know this isnt a huge update but I finally got a hold of NFL Street 2 for GC for $5 at a goodwill. All I could find it for was $9.99 and I refused to bite at that price. I got it a couple of weeks ago and still haven't tried it though lol.

Yuterald

Big difference for two reasons.

First, playing SD content on a SDTV means no scaling (or in some sub-native res cases, less scaling). So unless the TV is just a piece of crap, all other things equal the SDTV is going to give you a better picture.

Second, the Wii has worse video output. So even on the same TV with the same type of cable and signal the Gamecube will look better.

So better video output + better TV for an SD signal means that option will look a lot better.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Those cables are tempting. I've got a component to VGA converter from a couple years ago lying around, I'm considering hooking the gamecube up to it with a 4:3 LCD monitor.

I'm still a little parinoid about having 4:3 content on my Plasma TV.

Since I'm lucky enough to have access to both a GameCube and a Wii, each with their own official component cables, I figured I'd do a bit of a comparison. We only really have that one image to go by that was posted some pages back so I wanted to check it's validity.

I hooked up the GameCube and Wii to my Hauppauge Colossus HD Capture card, recorded footage at maximum quality (24000kbps constant bit rate) and took screen captures from the resulting footage. Here's what I came up with.
Each set is GameCube on the left, Wii on the right.
Feel free to let me know if you think my testing methods are terrible, by the way. Happy to re-do things or test some other games/methods if people are interested.

Also, it's all in 480i since I only have PAL GC games, however for stills it should still at least give an indication of differences, though you might notice interlacing in the scrolling text for example.I tried to take shots of relatively motionless sections so that the interlacing wouldn't greatly affect the comparison.

Well since I hadn't yet, I thought I'd post my modest collection so far.

Top of my wishlist at the moment are:

Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros Melee
Wind Waker
Eternal Darkness

I also need another controller, one of my analogue sticks is a bit messed up (came with the console when I bought it)

Buying all this again really makes me regret selling my 50+ game collection 5 years ago when I needed rent money :(

Well since I hadn't yet, I thought I'd post my modest collection so far.

Top of my wishlist at the moment are:

Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros Melee
Wind Waker
Eternal Darkness

I also need another controller, one of my analogue sticks is a bit messed up (came with the console when I bought it)

Buying all this again really makes me regret selling my 50+ game collection 5 years ago when I needed rent money :(

A good start, to be sure!
Australian, or just happen to have a couple of AU copies?

Also, I have a spare copy of Eternal Darkness lying around, was actually just taking photos to eventually put it up on eBay. PM me if you're interested...

A good start, to be sure!
Australian, or just happen to have a couple of AU copies?

Also, I have a spare copy of Eternal Darkness lying around, was actually just taking photos to eventually put it up on eBay. PM me if you're interested...

Yep I'm an Aussie. Got a few of the games from the UK though. And I think I will PM you :)

Dave Long

Banned
Since I'm lucky enough to have access to both a GameCube and a Wii, each with their own official component cables, I figured I'd do a bit of a comparison. We only really have that one image to go by that was posted some pages back so I wanted to check it's validity.

I hooked up the GameCube and Wii to my Hauppauge Colossus HD Capture card, recorded footage at maximum quality (24000kbps constant bit rate) and took screen captures from the resulting footage. Here's what I came up with.
Each set is GameCube on the left, Wii on the right.
Feel free to let me know if you think my testing methods are terrible, by the way. Happy to re-do things or test some other games/methods if people are interested.

Also, it's all in 480i since I only have PAL GC games, however for stills it should still at least give an indication of differences, though you might notice interlacing in the scrolling text for example.I tried to take shots of relatively motionless sections so that the interlacing wouldn't greatly affect the comparison.
Those sure do look similar. I'm hard pressed to see any differences?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Those sure do look similar. I'm hard pressed to see any differences?

A comparison at 480p would probably make the difference more noticeable. But even in those you can tell the Gamecube has better color and is slightly more clear. Look at Captain Falcon's arm/hand, the difference there is pretty obvious to me.

Top Bottom