• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope.. lol. Actual lv47.. hehe. Not a big fan of the "play the game over and over again to level" mechanic, so I'm only on Nightmare Act IV. Playing a monk, by the way.

How exactly does the "life on hit" work? Is it per "attack" (button press) or per actual hit? Because I've got some attacks like Way of the Hundred Fists that hit multiple times during a single button press. And others like Seven-Sided Strike, or the passive damage hits from Sweeping Wind?

Those attacks would proc LOH better. There was a chart one time that showed which ones were the best. I know thunderclap procs really well. Monk specifically does LOH stuff well.

I think u said youre avoiding the AH. If so get a socketed weapon, put a purple gem in.

Insaniac

Nope.. lol. Actual lv47.. hehe. Not a big fan of the "play the game over and over again to level" mechanic, so I'm only on Nightmare Act IV. Playing a monk, by the way.

How exactly does the "life on hit" work? Is it per "attack" (button press) or per actual hit? Because I've got some attacks like Way of the Hundred Fists that hit multiple times during a single button press. And others like Seven-Sided Strike, or the passive damage hits from Sweeping Wind?

The way LoH works versus Life Steal is LoH is based on an attacks proc rate. So say for example Fists of Thunder has a proc rate of 25% (Not the real proc rate just for example) and you have 1000 LoH. You would be proccing 250 health gain per strike.

Life Steal works on the percentage of damage you deal with whatever attack so lets say you dealt 2,000 damage against an enemy and you have 6% life steal, you would gain 120 life per hit.

I don't think LoH gets nerfed based on difficulty, but I know Life Steal does have a penalty as difficulty goes up. You'll have to google the proc rates of skills to see which will be more effective with LoH or Life steal

To answer your other question, LoH generally procs per strike, not per mouse click. For example, Critical mass wizards prefer life on hit because each 'tick' of damage that Wicked Wind does procs a small percentage of Life on Hit

Aww yea, this just happened!

Screenshot005_zps2b46947f.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Gratz on p100!

So who still plays? I have a low level Wizard and also want to start a Barb and Monk before the expansion. My goal is to get one of every class to 60.

Looking more and more that I'll likely start playing D3 again. I stopped playing after I beat it on Inferno with my wizard. Speaking of which, how are wizards now? Still the same mess they were last year?

Well I played D3 for like a month or two and than hit a brick wall with Inferno so I just gave up after a while (used Archon bug to finish Inferno though). Now I haven't played or checked out the game in ages.

My HP is 35k
DPS is 37k

And I used Arcane Orb, Arcane Hydra and Magic Weapon build

Any advice on what to do from now? I see dmg up at 200k and it is insane and so far unattainable for me. I just want to gradually get better and hopefully finish game at MP10 (inferno)

If this is not attainable with Wiz should I try for barb? Oh and I have like a million gold in my stash
I mean where do I go from now? Farm Act 1 Inferno I guess but what should I go for when it comes to updates and such.

Thank you for your time!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Well I played D3 for like a month or two and than hit a brick wall with Inferno so I just gave up after a while (used Archon bug to finish Inferno though). Now I haven't played or checked out the game in ages.

My HP is 35k
DPS is 37k

And I used Arcane Orb, Arcane Hydra and Magic Weapon build

Any advice on what to do from now? I see dmg up at 200k and it is insane and so far unattainable for me. I just want to gradually get better and hopefully finish game at MP10 (inferno)

If this is not attainable with Wiz should I try for barb? Oh and I have like a million gold in my stash
I mean where do I go from now? Farm Act 1 Inferno I guess but what should I go for when it comes to updates and such.

Thank you for your time!

If you see DPS in the 200k range, it's because it's much more attainable now than before, don't worry.

Wiz is essentially the second best class to farm Inferno right now, with two widely different builds : one based on Archon that allows you to melt everything all the time, and one based on Energy Twisters that allows you to pretty much perma-freeze mobs (and people like that in multiplayer games).

The good thing is that your DPS is so low right now that you can afford huge upgrades for cheap. That's what happened when I rerolled a monk and got to lvl 60. Suddenly I could buy very popular legendaries and set items (albeit not the best rolls) and get to 80k DPS in no time. I suspect you'll get to 100k+ DPS very quickly, especially if you go Archon.

For Archon you wanna up your DPS and movement speed first and foremost. Get that 24% movement speed cap (+12% boots coupled with one of the good movement speed legendaries: Lacuni Prawlers, Inna's Temperance...). For DPS there are cheap options. For sheer damage there's a 2H axe called Skorn that can be had for cheap. It's got high damage, high int, always got 130%+ crit dmg and always a socket. Upping your attack speed and crit chance will up your DPS as well, which some legendaries do for cheap (again, Lacuni Prawlers).

For passives you wanna go high DPS again. Glass Cannon is a must. If you got your crit chance above 30-40% (which you should at any rate), Critical Mass will reduce your Archon cooldown as you're using it, allowing for very little downtime. Finally, Evocation for cooldown reduction. You can switch one of those for Galvanazing Ward if you you find your magic armor is not up for long enough.

For active skills, well, obviously Archon, with the cooldown reduction rune at first. Again, go high DPS otherwise: Magic Weapon with Force Weapon (or, for survivability and because LifeSteal is expensive these days, I'd suggest the Blood Magic rune instead), Familiar with Sparkflint. Add Energy Armor with Prismatic Armor to add survivability, but you must invest in All Res a bit for it to be worthwhile. For your no mana spell, eh, whatever, but people usually go with Shock Pulse with Piercing Orb or Living Lightning (for crits). It doesn't matter much.

If you find yourself short on survivability, just farm a lower MP level, where even elites melt before reaching you. Archon is only expensive if you go for damage AND survivability AND high MP. Low MP High dmg Archon is very cheap. BTW your HP is high enough for low MP, only your DPS is lacking.

Oh and Hydras are kinda shit for any Inferno build : they don't proc effects (no Life Steal, Life on Hit...), and I don't think they even crit. So whatever you do get rid of the hydra.

ferr

Guys, I'm thinking about returning to Diablo but I don't know what should I improve.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Victor-1486/hero/1344090

Are DH's items still too expensive or should I try another class?

You can get the i63 crafting plans for Amulet, Shoulders, Bracers, and Gloves on the AH for very cheap and roll some better gear. Your Gloves and Amulets could be improved greatly by this. Witching Hour in your belt slot would be an improvement, but you will need to get a Natalya's ring to keep the set bonus. For comparison here's my char http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ferr-1693/hero/6314719 -- a lot of those are pricey, but you can find cheaper versions for improvement.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So my friends here, he was a massive D2 fan, but doesn't do much pc gaming. Now that D3 is coming to ps3 he's wondering if it's worth it for him to grab it? I warned him of the massive backlash the game received from fans, just telling him to look into it, so my question is, is the backlash warranted? Is it worth it for him to buy D3?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If you don't some troll will make a terrible OT shitting on the game and blizzard!
Yeah I won't troll it, don't worry. I'll try and make it (at least) decent with some collabs.

Jedi2016

I would say the console version is different enough to warrant its own OT, so I'd say go right ahead.

I'm still wondering about the PS4 version myself. What improvements over the PS3 version? Will it include RoS right in the box?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So my friends here, he was a massive D2 fan, but doesn't do much pc gaming. Now that D3 is coming to ps3 he's wondering if it's worth it for him to grab it? I warned him of the massive backlash the game received from fans, just telling him to look into it, so my question is, is the backlash warranted? Is it worth it for him to buy D3?

D3 has incredibly satisfying combat. Like, some of the most fun I've had in an ARPG. There's a certain joy that comes from mowing through the enemies or taking down a crazy affix elite pack.

That being said, the itemization is messy. There is a little more build diversity going on than when the game first dropped, but there are still one or two builds that are ideal for farming (similar to D2, though people still bitch and moan about the D3 system). People complain about the stat points and skill points not being distributable, but if your friend played D2 enough, he'll know that building X class meant you put your stats into Y stat and skill points into Z skills. It was very much the same.

I know some folks disagree with it, but I think the way D3 works is pretty fantastic. No more worrying about 10 vs 15 points in Zombie Dogs. It's just Zombie Dogs. But that being said, I have to go back to saying that itemization is messy (again). It doesn't promote the same diversity that D2 did in terms of building your character off of a set or a special rune or whatever. Now it's just "get more LoH" or "get more IAS" or "get more CHC".

So is it worth it? Sure - the game feels really great. The end-game is a mixed bag, but he can level all the classes to 60 and start farming and preparing for the expansion. I think he can try the game for free now, too. The starter edition would allow him to at least see if he enjoys the way the game feels and plays.

Ashodin

D3 has incredibly satisfying combat. Like, some of the most fun I've had in an ARPG. There's a certain joy that comes from mowing through the enemies or taking down a crazy affix elite pack.

That being said, the itemization is messy. There is a little more build diversity going on than when the game first dropped, but there are still one or two builds that are ideal for farming (similar to D2, though people still bitch and moan about the D3 system). People complain about the stat points and skill points not being distributable, but if your friend played D2 enough, he'll know that building X class meant you put your stats into Y stat and skill points into Z skills. It was very much the same.

I know some folks disagree with it, but I think the way D3 works is pretty fantastic. No more worrying about 10 vs 15 points in Zombie Dogs. It's just Zombie Dogs. But that being said, I have to go back to saying that itemization is messy (again). It doesn't promote the same diversity that D2 did in terms of building your character off of a set or a special rune or whatever. Now it's just "get more LoH" or "get more IAS" or "get more CHC".

So is it worth it? Sure - the game feels really great. The end-game is a mixed bag, but he can level all the classes to 60 and start farming and preparing for the expansion. I think he can try the game for free now, too. The starter edition would allow him to at least see if he enjoys the way the game feels and plays.
Yo nick, well written homie. I am back playing now too! Ashodin1707 (i think)

V_Arnold

So... I had a realization the other day about Diablo III's past-load stuttering issues.

There is a solution without SSD, and I was shocked to see it actually work.

Notice how under Windows 7, if you plug in a proper USB drive, it will give you the option to turn it into a "ReadyBoost" drive ("Speed up my system"). So, if you format your flashdrive (have at least 8gb space on it, I am using a 16gb one) with the ReadyBoost option, plug it into USB3.0, and make it into a ReadyBoost drive, it will act as a cache that is supposedly better than a normal HDD cache. Does it work?

YES! I have an old rig, but I no longer cringe at loading up the game, I no longer have any kind of extended stuttering when changing acts, nothing.

So if you have some problems with the loading, but do not have an SSD, this is a great alternative. And it works.

Skab

So, forgive me if it has been mentioned anywhere already (I haven't payed any attention to the announcement thread), but here are the things you can put paragon points into with paragon 2.0

Stats are separated into Core: Str, Dex, Int, Vit
Attack: Crit Chance, Crit Damage, Attack Speed, Cooldown Reduction
Defense: Health %, Resist All, Armor, Dodge %, Block Chance %
Utility: Run Speed, Magic Find, Gold Pickup Radius

Some of those are pretty major. Attack speed for example. Theyre also apparently upping the cap on movement speed.

FindersKeepers.

Shows XP per hour, XP per map, Time to level.

You can also get stats on rares per hour legedaries per hour

and a popup that tells you when something drops and its customizeable, mine does demonics and legendaries.

Anyone run MP4-5?

I've switched to DH but I can't do much higher efficiently yet.

So I'm liking my build finally. I basically find a pack of people and Gloom up and then Bitter Pill and everything explodes and I gain health hopefully faster then I'm losing it and the explosions with Bitter Pill going and Nightstalker passive keep me perma-gloomed. I also can run over health orbs for hatred/discipline. Multishot is for single enemies and the crits on that keep my discipline replenished too. Evade is for when I get near death and fast travel. Any suggestions or switches?? I was using entangling shot til I realized I want something that generates hatred and discipline at the same time so I went Bitter Pill for my hatred generator.

I know with better gearing I'll be able to get to MP7-8 soon. I have a path of upgrades I'm just waiting on money.

Cipherr

FindersKeepers.

Shows XP per hour, XP per map, Time to level.

You can also get stats on rares per hour legedaries per hour

and a popup that tells you when something drops and its customizeable, mine does demonics and legendaries.

I don't trust any of those. Are they approve or proven to be allowed? Last I checked they were "at your own risk" shit, and a routine client update could cause you to get swept up and banned for 3rd party shit when using those.

So, forgive me if it has been mentioned anywhere already (I haven't payed any attention to the announcement thread), but here are the things you can put paragon points into with paragon 2.0

Some of those are pretty major. Attack speed for example. Theyre also apparently upping the cap on movement speed.

Absolutely huge. Attack Speed? Run Speed? Crit Chance and damage? Freaking Cooldown reduction? Jesus... At high Paragon levels you are going to be able to wreck stuff.

Dahbomb

Nice especially the increased cap on Movement speed.

I am assuming some of these will be capped.

Shifty76

I don't trust any of those. Are they approve or proven to be allowed? Last I checked they were "at your own risk" shit, and a routine client update could cause you to get swept up and banned for 3rd party shit when using those.

Absolutely huge. Attack Speed? Run Speed? Crit Chance and damage? Freaking Cooldown reduction? Jesus... At high Paragon levels you are going to be able to wreck stuff.

Wonder how that cooldown reduction will work. I'm assuming it'll be capped to a certain percentage of the base cooldown, as 4 second cooldown on serenity would be gamebreaking.

Cipherr

Wonder how that cooldown reduction will work. I'm assuming it'll be capped to a certain percentage of the base cooldown, as 4 second cooldown on serenity would be gamebreaking.

This is exactly what I am thinking about. I also play a monk. Stuff like Serenity, Blinding Flash and whatnot could become absurd if you spent your paragon points on cooldown reduction, AND stacked it with legendaries that lower cooldown timers AND Beacon of Ytar that lowers cooldowns by 20%.

It would be a massive investment, but it would make for a hilarious outcome.

Ashodin

Anyone run MP4-5?

So I'm liking my build finally. I basically find a pack of people and Gloom up and then Bitter Pill and everything explodes and I gain health hopefully faster then I'm losing it and the explosions with Bitter Pill going and Nightstalker passive keep me perma-gloomed. I also can run over health orbs for hatred/discipline. Multishot is for single enemies and the crits on that keep my discipline replenished too. Evade is for when I get near death and fast travel. Any suggestions or switches?? I was using entangling shot til I realized I want something that generates hatred and discipline at the same time so I went Bitter Pill for my hatred generator.

I know with better gearing I'll be able to get to MP7-8 soon. I have a path of upgrades I'm just waiting on money.
That's a neat build. Have a link to your profile?

That's a neat build. Have a link to your profile?

Sorry lol I meant to put that in the long post of nonsense I typed.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Juices-1991/hero/6088646

Also anyone who plays a DH can prolly answer. Manticore seems too slow for this build as you dont get as much crits out. Or can you use a manticore? Also my Calamity is bad right now, I know I want to ditch the dex/vit roll for a socket. Is it always better to use a Ruby or Emerald? Or is Ruby only better sometimes or at Marquise level?

My crap geared DH mp1 is only getting 50mil xp/hour and my para 76 mp6 WD is making around 90... but atleast the wd finds a few legendaries every run. =\

alife

Anyone run MP4-5?

Sorry lol I meant to put that in the long post of nonsense I typed.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Juices-1991/hero/6088646

Also anyone who plays a DH can prolly answer. Manticore seems too slow for this build as you dont get as much crits out. Or can you use a manticore? Also my Calamity is bad right now, I know I want to ditch the dex/vit roll for a socket. Is it always better to use a Ruby or Emerald? Or is Ruby only better sometimes or at Marquise level?

Have you tried Hungering Arrow: Spray of Teeth instead of Bola Shot? Gives you a faster AoE shot than Bola. In order to use a Manticore, you'll need at least 50% CC and a decent amount of AS. Emerald only really matters if you are stacking a lot of CD since Archery gives crossbows a 50% CD bonus, so Manticores are usually gem'ed with a ruby and emerald. Calamity, I've only seen with rubies considering your goal is to stack CC, not CD. Having higher DPS also helps set your DH up to be able to use a Manticore. I would switch out Bat Companion with something.. I don't wanna sound rude, but I think it's a worthless skill. Vengeance is nice to have, but if you're using a Calamity with Night Stalker + Hungering Arrow (Or whatever else you use that regenerates Hatred), there is really no point in having a little extra Hatred as long as you're hitting something. I would replace that with Steady Aim for an extra 20% deeps. I use a Manticore, can use my DH as a reference if you ever plan on going that route: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Archer-1731/hero/20804385

I'm also on your buddy list. PM me any time.

Vicros

This is exactly what I am thinking about. I also play a monk. Stuff like Serenity, Blinding Flash and whatnot could become absurd if you spent your paragon points on cooldown reduction, AND stacked it with legendaries that lower cooldown timers AND Beacon of Ytar that lowers cooldowns by 20%.

It would be a massive investment, but it would make for a hilarious outcome.

I can't wait for more info on this. The stat allocation stuff is by far the most interesting thing I've seen about the expansion. If you could get must have stats from the paragon system instead of being forced to buy gear that has it, a giant chunk of equipment suddenly becomes viable.

About this weapon-

I really want to know what those stars are about. There looks to be three stars after the weapon name, and the Dashing Strike stat has a star by it. And also what they did to it to make it account bound. Did they go over this somewhere yet? This thing needs to come out because its got me excited for the game again in a way I didn't think was possible.

MrDaravon

Anyone know how large the current userbase is?

Jay Wilson did a presentation at GDC (?) earlier in the year where he said that at that time they had I believe it was 1 million unique users daily and 3 million per month. I think that's the only concrete numbers we've ever really gotten, other than that huge lifetime chart they put out recently.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So, I've grown tired of playing my wizard like a melee character. I've been a CM wizard for so long now, getting into melee range and mashing all of my buttons as quick as I can. Chucking nados, dropping meteors, popping diamond skin, explosive blasting, yada yada yada, it's not how I ever envisioned nor wanted to play a wizard. Yes I know it's the fastest most efficient way to farm the highest MP levels right now. I don't care, I'm tired of it.

So I spent the weekend trying out new skills and builds. Not reading about them online, just creating my own builds and synergies between skills and trying to find a playstyle that I enjoy but that also works for me.

I really wanted to make a frost wizard, using lightning to regain AP and throwing blizzards, frost novas, and cold hydras around, and using cold passives to boost it all. It played fun but didn't seem to be all that good even down at MP2. It was great on trash but I had difficulty with most elite packs, and even bosses gave me trouble.

Next I worked on an all arcane build. I loved using arcane orb while leveling, so I decided to try to make a build around that. Used seeker magic missile as my main coupled with arcane nova orb, while running with both magic weapon and familiar up. Arcane hydra is on A while teleport is on S to get me out of hot spots. For passives I have glass cannon, illusionist, an temporal flux. Temporal flux slows down all enemies by 60% whenever I do arcane damage, which all of my skills are doing. Since I have 24% run speed, and I have a good amount of LoH and APoC, this build is actually a lot of fun to play. It allows me to kite very well, the hydra slows mobs down if I need to run a bit, and then I turn and chuck orbs that explode into arcane novas on impact. I literally tear up trash packs, and surprisingly it seems decent against most elite packs too. Teleport with illusionist allows me to handle jailers and wallers fairly easily.

It may not be as effecient as the old standard CM build is, but I sure as hell am enjoying it more. And it's really good in groups, as I get to simply sit back and chuck hydras, orbs, and missiles from a distance.

Celegus

I really want to know what those stars are about. There looks to be three stars after the weapon name, and the Dashing Strike stat has a star by it. And also what they did to it to make it account bound. Did they go over this somewhere yet? This thing needs to come out because its got me excited for the game again in a way I didn't think was possible.

I have no clue either, but account bound amazing equipment with crazy modifiers is pretty much the best thing they could possibly do. I wish we at least had an idea of when it was coming, but it's pretty obvious why they haven't said anything yet. But this is already one of my most wanted games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom