• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One specs from Hot Chips session (8GB Flash, 1.31TFlops, 204GB/s peak BW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ESRAM is still essentially its own thing, memory read/writes to it can be 109 gbs right through to 204gb/s, but it's now a two way communication, not just a framebuffer cache like it was on the 360.

What that really means is post processing/defferred rendering is slick. Hellishly slick. Rendering is again, a one way traffic system, but any post processing can happen soon as the frame is created in the ESRAM. No GPU to DDR3 read/writes. All win win stuff (like last gen).

Clock speed increase means it has a throughput advantage (over PS4)in terms of the rate at which it process data, with almost zero stall pipeline in place. Very slick. OP/s still low compared to the opposition, but there is enough here to suggest that it will run efficiently enough.

Outside of the raw compute advantage on the GPU (for PS4), the Xbox one has a faster HSA bus, running at 30gb/s compared to "nearly 20gb/s).
It's all half a dozen of one and 6 of the other, someplace's XBO has advantages, others it doesn't.

Raw rendering, hell I wouldn't be at all concerned, it appears there's more than enough caches, and with the esram, and the dedicated swizzle hardware, this will hold it's own.

A good solid piece of kit that shows what a closed box customized system can do to beef up individual components.

Color me far more impressed with the dedicated silicon than I would have been if they had just taped the GPU and CPU together.
There is some smart stuff in here, wherever they know the CPU or GPU are gong to be bogged down doing mundane stuff, they have added silicon to alleviate it.

It's still limited by the number of available shaders and you'll have to fetch textures and stuff from DDR3.

test_account

XP-39C²
How does the speed of the RAM works actually? If you have 2 different types of RAM, and one RAM type is slower than the other, how can you utilize the faster RAM?

vpance

Semi-knowledge and implications from that:
Afaik you have to use a whole CU because you can't give multiple different instructions to different cores in one CU. So you are not able to get just 10gflops processing power from one CU while the rest of it does other stuff at the same time. You can switch context but that probably wastes cycles. You probably can use one CU for applying DSP effects to more than one channel by switching contexts though.

The beauty of having 8 ACE, it's magic. Cerny has said it several times, they can perform GPGPU tasks (such as audio) without taking away from graphics performance.

Sounddeli

Banned
More info on the Audio Chips DPUs

More info on Tensilica here: http://tensilica.com/

"Cadence's Tensilica processor cores excel in the SOC dataplane. That's where the hardest data-intensive work must be done to create the low-power, high-speed electronic devices consumers want today. We call these cores DPUs (dataplane processing units).

Because they're optimized for the power, performance, and area requirements, DPUs deliver 10-100x more performance than standard CPUs and DSPs. Other benefits include:
Easy customization with our patented automated tools.
Product differentiation – each DPU can be unique, making it almost impossible to copy.
Reduced time to market – dramatically less verification time.
Flexibility – Because it's programmable you can make changes after tape-out.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
2 Compute command and 2 graphics command. This is not GCN 1.0????

Well, it's not like the GPU really has the spare grunt for general compute use anyway, so not really much point in refining the granularity of the compute functions.

IN&OUT

Banned
I like how audio processing has suddenly become some non-trivial thing all of a sudden thanks to the xbone mouth pieces. Are we going to go back to having seperate 2D and 3D graphics processors so people can feel like they're getting more power than they are?

So true, funny thing is that PS4 has a dedicated Audio chip just like X1 but the other party tend to ignore it at all.

Cuth

A better pic of the GPU diagram from TechHive (from here):

gqyaZAM.png

Unfortunately it seems to be the only big slide they have online.

Melchiah

Your taste offends.

Heh. Never really liked Sisko, or DS9 for that matter. Seemed too much of a plagiarism of B5 to me. I think Janeway was more likeable and humane than the usual Stark Trek commanders, who tended to be stiff like wood.

PSGames

From the need for speed dev:-

“What we’re seeing with the consoles are actually that they are a little bit more powerful than we thought for a really long time – especially one of them, but I’m not going to tell you which one," Nilsson told VideoGamer.com at Gamescom earlier today.

“And that makes me really happy. But in reality, I think we’re going to have both those consoles pretty much on parity – maybe one sticking up a little bit
Are you working on any of these systems yourself?

I wouldn't use this as proof of anything, especially not some vast gulf in power between the two systems.

Without him naming systems he could easily be refering to the Xbox One in these statements. Just saying.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I still think that the Xbone will have the bigger number of Flops in the end. Some tech folks are retarded.

You nearly had me, I really need to work on my parody detection. :p

pixlexic

Banned
Have not read through the thread but the 8 gig of flash memory is a big deal.

That is for paging memory and not only is flash ram faster than a mechanical hdd having the page memory cache to a separate source than the hhd makes it faster.

Oppo

Have not read through the thread but the 8 gig of flash memory is a big deal.

That is for paging memory and not only is flash ram faster than a mechanical hdd having the page memory cache to a separate source than the hhd makes it faster.

I think it's too slow for working memory? More like suspend states and OS stuff I would think.

demolitio

Yes, I was being sarcastic. I'll try to sharpen my irony/sarcasm skills. :p

Unfortunately sarcasm is a lot harder to detect during the console wars simply because we've all seen comments that were 100% serious that made us question people's sanity on here.

Thank God it was sarcasm for I feared we lost another brave warrior in this endless console war. :D

Osiris

I think it's too slow for working memory? More like suspend states and OS stuff I would think.

Given that's connected to the southbridge via eMMC rather than a bus direct to the SoC guarantees that, it's long-term storage of some type, probably firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom