• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Sony has yet to show anything running on PS4, using PCs [actually Dev-kits]

DougB541

Banned
I did forget that NFS was running on PC at E3. There's no point in arguing since both of us agree that this particular piece of info is non news.

Ultimately this....i don't understand why people here and those responding to him on twitter are like literally...sony defense forcing it right now lol.

its a non story....something he just mentioned as a bit worrisome...but as long as they make launch who cares? Hell, even if something crazy like a slightly bigger piece of hardware...would anyone REALLY care?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You're dealing with 140 characters at a time. reading it i surmised games were shown on PCs (like the Need for Speed PS4 demo) as well as dev kits.
We have screencaps of what he said. His claim before correcting himself 11 hours later was that at the Sony booth, games were shown on PCs.

11 hours later after several replies on twitter, he used the word PS4 devkit. Not the first time. In the time he had several posts on twitter where he had more than enough space of the 140 character limit to use "PS4 devkit" over "PC."

Blaming it on the twitter character limit is laughable, as is the appeal to false authority.

Ultimately this....i don't understand why people here and those responding to him on twitter are like literally...sony defense forcing it right now lol.
The tech editor for the biggest gaming website in the world doesn't understand why the case for the PS4 can be so "unbelievable small" even after interviewing Mark Cerny and asking him that very question.

Skeff

You're dealing with 140 characters at a time. reading it i surmised games were shown on PCs (like the Need for Speed PS4 demo) as well as dev kits.

Trying to claim his lack of understanding on the subject is a huge stretch for someone who again, works in the game industry and is a tech editor. People are overreacting in such a defensive posture right now.

140 characters?

EoBT9vi.png

AZhsP5E.png

Check the OP, he said they were PC's.

He specifically states that the situation is the same at 3rd party booths as what Sony are showing, when we know PC builds are shown at 3rd party.

He was entirely disingenuous and/or lacks understanding.

DougB541

Banned
The sad thing is, I actually enjoy IGN for the most part. Not for hard hitting news or anything, but they do some fun stuff.

But this. Ugh.

He simply posted a tweet. Not sure why everyone is trying to act like he wrote a news pieces on IGN.

I've noticed its tough for the public to unattach someone who works in media to a personal thought tweet vs. that specific website. If he wrote a news piece...you have a point.

he didn't.

Everyone just relax.

EvB

I've noticed its tough for the public to unattach someone who works in media to a personal thought tweet vs. that specific website. If he wrote a news piece...you have a point.

he didn't.

Everyone just relax.

That's certainly a creative way to deny him of credability.

DougB541

Banned
140 characters?

EoBT9vi.png

AZhsP5E.png

Check the OP, he said they were PC's.

He specifically states that the situation is the same at 3rd party booths as what Sony are showing, when we know PC builds are shown at 3rd party.

He was entirely disingenuous and/or lacks understanding.

You are being absolutely ridiculous right now and making something out to fit an argument.

I ask again, you REALLY think he doesn't know the difference between a PC and a Dev Kit?

Its already proven games were being demoed on both..stop being ridiculous.

Skeff

When asked if they were the same as at third party booths, (PC's running PC builds of games) he said it was exactly the case.

This is black and white, right and wrong and he's wrong.

About whether or not he knows the difference, i don't know if he does or not, hence why I said he's being disingenuous or doesn't know, If he knows the difference then calling them PC's is definitely disingenuous, No question of it.

DougB541

Banned
lol, thug?

lol yup.

When asked if they were the same as at third party booths, (PC's running PC builds of games) he said it was exactly the case.

This is black and white, right and wrong and he's wrong.

About whether or not he knows the difference, i don't know if he does or not, hence why I said he's being disingenuous or doesn't know, If he knows the difference then calling them PC's is definitely disingenuous, No question of it.

k.

ymmv

Banned
Only the PS4 has passed FCC certification. We haven't heard anything on the Xbox1, yet.

Really, this is the only rebuttal needed. The box is finished, it's ready for manufacturing and ready to be sold to consumerl, no ifs and buts.

If I was to guess I reckon that white toblerone thing at the back is to vent any hot air coming out the back outside of the clear box that the PS4 is in otherwise it might overheat given people playing games on it for a while.

The wholes on the top and bottom are right where the PS4 has its intake vents.

I'm not saying that it isn't a mock up PS4 in every box but that setup would make sense if it was a working machine.

Cat Party

The small form factor definitely concerns me after what we went through last gen. I don't think it's silly to be concerned that real units aren't out there yet. Of course there's still time to get everything ready and get units out for hands-on time. I look forward to those impressions when they happen.

IGN - Fair and Balanced

IGN still refuses to look at factual tech specs, and continue to inform their audience that both systems are identical power wise. The lead up to this new console generation has shown an incredible level of incompetence in the mainstream games media. It is all quite disturbing. IGN is little more than a PR dumping ground.

It's up to sony to show games that shows their advantage, not the press to fall into what might be a empty hype (see Ps3).

That was E3.

I think he is referring to Comic-Con, Gamescom & PAX.

I feel like it is page 2 again, where it was confirmed that Xbox One Dev Kits look extremely similar to Retail versions for PR purposes. The only difference is an extra port on the back.

He was saying at Gamescom games were being shown on retail and dev kits which are about the same size as the retail units.

You cannot show an unfinished game on a retail console. It is not signed code.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I feel like it is page 2 again, where it was confirmed that Xbox One Dev Kits look extremely similar to Retail versions for PR purposes. The only difference is an extra port on the back.
Welcome to hell. It's this in perpetuity!

But yes, you are right. Hence the claim by anybody that it was running on retail Xbox One seems very suspect. At most I would believe DigitalFoundry to ask a developer if they can have a look at the actual hardware a demo was run at.

Which they either wouldn't ask because what's the point or would be denied because the people demoing the games don't want to unnecessarily reboot and want to continue with their next appointment.

Vol5

The small form factor definitely concerns me after what we went through last gen. I don't think it's silly to be concerned that real units aren't out there yet. Of course there's still time to get everything ready and get units out for hands-on time. I look forward to those impressions when they happen.

I wouldn't be too concerned. The APU + cooling alone saves an enormous amount of real estate compared to GPU + CPU + cooling. Plus the BR drive is likely a laptop derivative.

I wouldn't be too concerned. The APU + cooling alone saves an enormous amount of real estate compared to GPU + CPU + cooling. Plus the BR drive is likely a laptop derivative.

Mark Cerny has stated that the power consumption has been known within the company since April

Rapstah

I'm not sure if you know the history this place has with Gies, but somewhere around the launch of SimCity we ended up in a situation where he stopped posting on here and people stopped wanting him to post on here.

He also owes someone ten bucks because he bet the guy that he hadn't said "secret sauce" ever and the dude found a post of him saying it.

Top Bottom