• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
old on the left, new on the right
1377707578203dusni.png

1377707897827vhsj5.png

murata da gawd

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
He hand draws them.

If it was with a computer, you could tell. Unless Hiroya Oku doesn't know how to properly render and you can actually make good manga art with a computer.
Too bad Oku's legacy is figuring out how to draw nipples on bouncing breasts. I am not kidding.

Going Merry, guys.

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN still hurts the second time around.

I know man... all of the feels.

If it was with a computer, you could tell. Unless Hiroya Oku doesn't know how to properly render and you can actually make good manga art with a computer.
Too bad Oku's legacy is figuring out how to draw nipples on bouncing breasts. I am not kidding.

You make that sound like a bad thing :p

I know man... all of the feels.

Going Merry, guys.

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN still hurts the second time around.

tumblr_lj23v5yPfo1qa5504o1_500.png

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

You can't just say that without providing an example man.

Big One

Banned
You know a lot of people argue about what's the difference between One Piece and Bleach when it comes to how it handles it's continuity. They both have large worlds, but this is a subject I've never really expanded upon as much as I wanted on why I prefer how One Piece handles it's backstory better than Bleach does, even though it's largely doing the same thing.

My main issue with how Kubo handles Bleach, is that when he sets up something he sets it up in a way where it doesn't give us any speculatory indication that it might be this, or might be that, making it seem like Kubo puts plot holes in his manga only to make up a reason for it later. This really hurts how the story is told, and a prime example of this is when there was hints of Hueco Mundo when those dudes were stalking Ichigo on his way into Soul Society. However, like I said, it doesn't quite give us anything to work with, which basically means there's a possibility Kubo makes up stuff on the spot. Like really, what came first, the foreshadowing, or the thing it's foreshadowing? That's the issue here in reality cause there's no real distinguishing of this in Bleach as it leaves so much open in the air then that leaves thousands of possibilities for Kubo to write.

Then you got One Piece, which pretty much every example of foreshadowing is pretty blatant. When Robin was established as having a bad childhood/life, it was established as so, but it also gave us her large bounty as a child right off the bat. This leaves intrigue and actual speculation on what could've happened. Then throughout the story you get hints of it, very slowly; unlike in Bleach, you get the foreshadowing, then when it's introduced in the story that's it. This builds a lot of character to stories that wouldn't otherwise have had if they were transitioned like Bleach.

Then there's the little details that may not matter to most, but matters when it comes to the structure of continuity. All the characters in One Piece have stayed largely the same, while characters like Rukia changed drastically different from her original incarnation in personality that still lingers on today even though a lot of her character change was more rooted in her backstory aka she should've been brooding and emo in the first place rather than humorous. To me, things like that make no sense. That isn't to say a character should not develop, but rather they shouldn't just lose personality traits associated with them just because people look at them in a different way than initially.

Bleach is more about what's best for the fans rather than what's best for the story. A character like Spandam for example, a major focal point of the CP9 arc, got a buttload of screen time for a non-popular character, because he was an important character in the story. While in Bleach's case, characters get screen time because they're popular, which is why fights with non-popular characters take less time than others rather than a largely even amount of time spent. You could point out that Luffy fighting all the time when the other Strawhats aren't proves my point wrong, but you have to remember that if Luffy is fighting, the Strawhats always get screen-time doing other things too which is why a lot of people get confused at wtf is even going on half the time in One Piece.

Theonik

Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai! - Usagi no Mark
SummaryBot said:
The younger of three sisters, Hina Takanashi, is an energetic and good-natured 3 year old. The three sisters lost their parents in a plane accident. They now live with their 19-year old uncle, who is struggling to keep the family united and happy... and little Hina brings her happy mood to brighten the darker days. This spin-off story is parallel to the main series.
This was some good stuff. There is also a main series to read as this is a parallel works sort of deal but given I haven't read that either and still enjoyed this I'd think you'd be pretty safe either way.
Some dangerously cute stuff and unbelievably heart-warming. It also does some other kind of character arcs right but I'll let you discover that yourself.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Ippo 1026

Go Imai!!!! Break that fuckers ribs all the way in!!!! Honestly this fight has been so satisfying, I have wanted for Itagaki to get his big humble pie beating for a while now. This is just too good.

Gintamen

Do murata does his drawings hand-drawn or with PC ala Gantz?
Effects scream PC, maybe a mix.

The second pic is really better and doesn't let us think he can punch lasers now.

Beelzebub 218
Eye poking dicks, jump thiefs, heavinly lasers and Oga looking a an adult. How could I have missed that ass on the last page. <3
Isn't it impossible for a 3 y/o to have hair that long?
As long as it's possible to be that cute. :D Could work when it was never cut before.

You know a lot of people argue about what's the difference between One Piece and Bleach when it comes to how it handles it's continuity. They both have large worlds, but this is a subject I've never really expanded upon as much as I wanted on why I prefer how One Piece handles it's backstory better than Bleach does, even though it's largely doing the same thing.

My main issue with how Kubo handles Bleach, is that when he sets up something he sets it up in a way where it doesn't give us any speculatory indication that it might be this, or might be that, making it seem like Kubo puts plot holes in his manga only to make up a reason for it later. This really hurts how the story is told, and a prime example of this is when there was hints of Hueco Mundo when those dudes were stalking Ichigo on his way into Soul Society. However, like I said, it doesn't quite give us anything to work with, which basically means there's a possibility Kubo makes up stuff on the spot. Like really, what came first, the foreshadowing, or the thing it's foreshadowing? That's the issue here in reality cause there's no real distinguishing of this in Bleach as it leaves so much open in the air then that leaves thousands of possibilities for Kubo to write.

That´s false. Kubo has a 4 level of secrets in Bleach which Bleach community is well familiar with. That means that Kubo leaves bread crumbs throughout the manga before the actual reveal, so then when the reveal actually happens it all make sense. You can take Zangetsu being fake for instance. there were plenty of evidence prior to the reveal throughout the manga that shows that Hollow Ichigo is really Zangetsu. He actually said that on different occasions. Some of the Bleach community even said that Zangetsu was actually Juha Bach, or he is a descendant of Juha Back, and they used hollow Ichigo as evidence to back it up. Same can be said about Chad´s powers which were hollow related. That was revealed in like chapter 240 or something, yet it was elaborated on it in chapter 430 or somewhere close.

That´s how Kubo writes Bleach. He leaves small hints along the way so when the reveal happen it all makes sense. Besides Kubo´s hints are straight in your face, it´s very subtle, most of the time. He gives plenty to work with like when people knew that Masaki is Ichigo´s mom before the reveal, and that Gin will betray Aizen at some point. I like Kubo´s style of foreshadowing and subtlety, much more than in your face straight out saying it.

Then you got One Piece, which pretty much every example of foreshadowing is pretty blatant. When Robin was established as having a bad childhood/life, it was established as so, but it also gave us her large bounty as a child right off the bat. This leaves intrigue and actual speculation on what could've happened. Then throughout the story you get hints of it, very slowly; unlike in Bleach, you get the foreshadowing, then when it's introduced in the story that's it. This builds a lot of character to stories that wouldn't otherwise have had if they were transitioned like Bleach.

Except the power ups that the SH get, that BB gets to steal other DF even though it was established that one man per DF, and the fact that there are artificial DF, that was never foreshadowed or hinted at anywhere IIRC, Cesear was never foreshadowed etc....
Unlike one piece, Bleach´s foreshadowing is to build up and establish things that will happen in the story, unlike one piece that stuff happens just because.

Besides Oda always tries to cram as much stories as possible within an arc that make it long, badly paced, just boring.

Then there's the little details that may not matter to most, but matters when it comes to the structure of continuity. All the characters in One Piece have stayed largely the same, while characters like Rukia changed drastically different from her original incarnation in personality that still lingers on today even though a lot of her character change was more rooted in her backstory aka she should've been brooding and emo in the first place rather than humorous. To me, things like that make no sense. That isn't to say a character should not develop, but rather they shouldn't just lose personality traits associated with them just because people look at them in a different way than initially.

Static character that stay the same is in no way, shape or form a positive thing. It´s horrible writing pure and simple.

No, Rukia is written very well. Rukia changed because the events that happen to her effected her character, personality, and thought process. She blamed herself for killing Kaien, and got over it. She should not be emo whatsoever, because a huge burden was removed off her shoulders. That burden that made her doubt herself, and be miserable. Now, her character fits perfectly with her development. Same with Ichigo, Byakuya, Renji, Orihime.

Bleach is more about what's best for the fans rather than what's best for the story. A character like Spandam for example, a major focal point of the CP9 arc, got a buttload of screen time for a non-popular character, because he was an important character in the story. While in Bleach's case, characters get screen time because they're popular, which is why fights with non-popular characters take less time than others rather than a largely even amount of time spent. You could point out that Luffy fighting all the time when the other Strawhats aren't proves my point wrong, but you have to remember that if Luffy is fighting, the Strawhats always get screen-time doing other things too which is why a lot of people get confused at wtf is even going on half the time in One Piece.

And here you were doing well. That´s just straight up false. Ichigo and Rukia are the top 2 most popular characters in Bleach, yet they were not seen in Fake Karakura town arc. Ichigo showed up after like 40 chapters of just side characters fighting. While is why Bleach is great. It gives time to side characters to shine instead focus on 4-5 characters.

Soi Fong, Shunsui, Yamamoto, Ukitake, WW, etc... are in no way more popular than Ichigo and Rukia yet they participating heavily in Fake Karakura Town arc.

The way Oda treats female characters in one piece is disgusting. They are largely useless, and need male protection. That was very evident last arc, when Tashigi was fighting Snow harpy, and needed Zorro to one shot the harpy.

Luffy was fighting alone in Impel Down and the war. The SH were not seen for over a year, so yeah, there was zero concentration about them. Hell, the SH reunion was so damn jarring. After 2 years off not seeing each other they react like nothing has happened, and they were the same people from before. That´s bad writing about characters and their development.

T'Zariah

Banned
Got to agree with the above last point. I might not like Bleach at all, but damn if Kubo doesn't have the best female cast in Shounen.

Though I'm not sure if FMA:Brotherhood counts in the comparison.

Got to agree with the above last point. I might not like Bleach at all, but damn if Kubo doesn't have the best female cast in Shounen.

Though I'm not sure if FMA:Brotherhood counts in the comparison.

Full Metal Alchemist has a better cast then pretty much everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom