• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

If we see that someone is attempting to abuse the system then Stump should be able to add that person to a global block list.
Not everyone will add those rotten apples to their personal block list.

If we see that person has become a positive contribution to the community than we can remove that person from the list.
We had too many bad experiences during the summer sale.

Xanathus

I don't think so unless I'm reading it wrong:

It doesn't make any sense if the permablock PM automatically blocks a user from *all* giveaways because it would be easily abusable. There's probably 2 block lists, a personal one which uses the list of people you've sent permablocks for plus the ones you manually add via the BLOCK line, and a forum-wide block list which only Stump should be able to modify.

It doesn't make any sense if the permablock PM automatically blocks a user from *all* giveaways because it would be easily abusable. There's probably 2 block lists, a personal one which uses the list of people you've sent permablocks for plus the ones you manually add via the BLOCK line, and a forum-wide block list which only Stump should be able to modify.

I edited my previous post to clarify how I read it. I think it's quite straight forward but am happy for Stump to correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT - I understand Xanathus and Grief but that's not what the ModBot instructions actually say.

The global block of users that are on other's permablock list only applies if the gifter uses the "BLACKLIST" option.

Xanathus

I edited my previous post to clarify how I read it. I think it's quite straight forward but am happy for Stump to correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT - I understand Xanathus and Grief but that's not what the ModBot instructions actually say.

Ah yes I think you're right, so as long as givers make sure to use the BLACKLIST option then it should be fine. However I can think of one easy way to abuse this which is for one person to say add a ton of users on their own permablock list. This would make BLACKLIST a completely useless option since a huge number of people would then be blacklisted.

How was Of Orcs and Men? It seems like a nice game, and I know it has a beautiful soundtrack filled with symphony music (Boston Cello Quartet).

It's by the same guys who made the Game of Thrones RPG and the story is from the point of view of the Orcs and Goblins instead of the humans. It's up to the two main characters to unite the Goblin and Orc tribes against the humans.

Anyone have any experience with the gameplay?

I've played a small portion of it [so these are only really first impressions] but I can't say that the opening couple of hours fill me with any confidence. It's a slightly better looking, more polished title than Game of Thrones, but lacks the engaging narrative. Instead of being endearing, a budget game stretching to be an epic, the games flaws are emphasized because it hasn't got anything to fall back on; it's very much a small scale title [extremely linear thus far, and I hear that doesn't alter] with limited narrative depth. Combat is extremely similar [but faster paced and more difficult, partially due to less visual feedback] to Game of Thrones, with a greater emphasis placed on it throughout due to the games linear nature.

I wouldn't recommend it based on my early impressions, but then again Game of Thrones also featured a slow start.

Hey, if anyone's interested, got these coupons to giveaway here:
4ljvE.png

EDIT: oops, forgot to add the link to my profile, so i can send it to whoever wants it :p
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Dio141/

Ah yes I think you're right, so as long as givers make sure to use the BLACKLIST option then it should be fine. However I can think of one easy way to abuse this which is for one person to say add a ton of users on their own permablock list. This would make BLACKLIST a completely useless option since a huge number of people would then be blacklisted.

Yes well it's a pretty nuclear option and why I've never used it. If I had qualms about a particular user I would send a PM to ModBot to permablock them from my gifts or do a manual block in that particular gift. The idea of blocking users that are on other GAFer's permablock lists is enticing in theory but I would be too worried that some would be included in that out of spite to use that option frankly.

This is all academic anyway as ModBot is self aware and polices all this stuff under the hood.

Crisis averted.

I've been playing Endless Space, I bought the game during the summer sale and it was money well spent. According to Steam I did spend 61 hours with the game but only completed one game in which I lost, also rage quitting a campaign doesn't help. xD

I think now I'm starting to get the pace of the game, what improvements to research and build, what exploitation to choose in certain planets etc. I never thought that I could have so much fun in this genre, it's time demading but it's worth your time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ModBot and abusive users:

- There is a global throttle that impacts all users. The throttle becomes gradually more restrictive the more you've won in a short period of time. This prevents one person from winning every giveaway. In addition, all of the throttle rules (NOWINNERSDAILY, NOWINNERSWEEKLY, NOWINNERSMONTHLY) help prevent abuse.

- You can manually block an individual from an individual giveaway using the BLOCK rule.

- You can manually block an individual from all future giveaways you make using the PERMABLOCK pm.

- If multiple users (I'll leave this intentionally vague) use the PERMABLOCK to block someone, they are flagged as a troublesome user. It would be theoretically be possible for me to manually flag someone as well, but I don't plan on doing so because I believe in democracy. The BLACKLIST rule will automatically block any such user from your giveaways without even knowing who they are. There's really no reason not to use the BLACKLIST rule with every giveaway.

- The only person who has ever really been abusive and rude ended up getting himself banned so I'm not sure worried about long-term abuse potential there.

Acccent

- If multiple users (I'll leave this intentionally vague) use the PERMABLOCK to block someone, they are flagged as a troublesome user. It would be theoretically be possible for me to manually flag someone as well, but I don't plan on doing so because I believe in democracy. The BLACKLIST rule will automatically block any such user from your giveaways without even knowing who they are. There's really no reason not to use the BLACKLIST rule with every giveaway.

tear.gif

Thanks for the clarification Stump.

I hereby award myself an internet cookie.

Talking about all this has got my gifting juices flowing. Time to ModBot some Origin Humble Bundle crap that no-one wants AWESOME GAEMS!!!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just read this by Deques:

Not sure if he means Shadow Warrior though, thats why I am asking.

The Shadow Warrior coupon can be used on top of the pre-existing discount, if that's what you're wondering. It knocks the US/AU/etc. price down to $30.59/$38.24, depending on which edition you choose.

Oh. Too bad. Thought they would stack up to 90%. Would have been too good.

Then I will wait for a sale. Gotta still finish the Games I bought during the summer sale.

Kifimbo

Too much negativity.

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

The Showdown Effect -- MB-5CA80C721CC9823A - Taken by drizzle

Have at it ladies and gents.

I am giving away 8 Steam/Origin keys.

To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line.

In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box STEAM Key -- MB-E746B0545F03F147 - Taken by animlboogy
Dead Space STEAM Key -- MB-5CC009227A4E7087 - Taken by kennah
Mirror's Edge STEAM Key -- MB-64FBD4038D7C2E31 - Taken by sibarraz

Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box ORIGIN Key -- MB-FF0205E26F18FBA0 NUKED!
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition ORIGIN Key -- MB-4AAB1012E45BF034 NUKED! & given away via PM
Dead Space ORIGIN Key -- MB-1E02511CF170942B NUKED! & given away via PM
Medal of Honor ORIGIN Key -- MB-BB8F304E5365BA43 NUKED!
Mirror's Edge ORIGIN Key -- MB-F0672FEC315CE328 NUKED!

My first manual block. Bwahaha!

Kifimbo

Doing this again, because the previous winner already had the game.

ModBot said:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

The Showdown Effect -- MB-5CA80C721CC9823A - Taken by Terra_Ex

Retne

Was going over some old posts and noticed no one had taken the Mirror's Edge key I was trying to give away so I figured I would repost it in case anyone wanted to snag it.
ModBot said:

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

header_292x136.jpg

Mirror's Edge -- MB-4B2CC091A3831747

Finished DMC4 (again, already done it on my 360 when it came out). I gotta say it's still a great game despite the lame "reverse mode", both characters are really fun to play and the gameplay really has a lot of depth (especially Dante, Nero's arm really makes a lot of enemies and bosses easier). You really got to earn the SSS ranks and the game is actually challenging.
I've been having a blast just playing Bloody Palace and I get shredded to pieces, but the feeling of getting an SSS rank without getting hit on a floor, taunting the enemies and doing insane combos, it's just so good.

By the way I might pick up DmC when if it's really cheap this winter but how is the game ? I'm only really interested in gameplay. I've seen a youtube vid back when it came out of a dude just throwing a scythe at three enemies and getting an SSS rank, it was really weird.

Any Zafehouse impressions? I've heard some pretty good things about the game but I can't find any reviews of the most recent version with all the content updates

Worth $9.99?

Thorodin

Neo Member
Random question: If I delete local content on a game in my library and it greys out the name, is there a way to remove it completely from my library list or do I just have to filter the list forever?

Atruvius

I've played only played half an hour of AvP's marine campaign but it seems pretty good. I like the way the environments look, dark corridors with light shafts and red pipes on the walls.

What I don't like is the voice acting. Aquilas', who orders you around, VA is absolutely awful, it's like she's reading off a paper. And then there horribly narrow fov, it's like from a console game. And you cant change it, at least I didn't find a way.

Worth 4€? Absolutely.

JDHarbs

Random question: If I delete local content on a game in my library and it greys out the name, is there a way to remove it completely from my library list or do I just have to filter the list forever?
I just put those games in a "games I dont like" category and collapse it. Maybe even add some z's to the beginning so it appears at the bottom of my library.

I just put those games in a "games I dont like" category and collapse it. Maybe even add some z's to the beginning so it appears at the bottom of my library.

That's what my Do Not Want category is for. Well, that and the stupid Mac duplicates (Civ IV, GTA 3/VC/SA).

Thorodin

Neo Member
Thanks JDHarbs, yeah I've got a few games from the early humble bundles when they just gave you one steam code for the whole bundle. Glad they changed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom