• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
StUnNeR H2K said:
Where is this photoshopped image of one body at?
Behold my dark humunculus:
vxeoog.jpg

Animooted:
2z4liwz.gif

DD-11

Stinkles said:
No. They had no idea. When we saw the rough cut we said, WTF. They even had they general terrain if not right, then close enough.

Which ad is this. I've seen the diarama, the old dude talking and that's it. Is there another one because there are no spoilers in there?

GhaleonEB

DD-11 said:
Which ad is this. I've seen the diarama, the old dude talking and that's it. Is there another one?
http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=20471

Also, there's a total of three in the original series, in addition to the one above - Museum, Enemy Weapon, and Hunted. You described the first, the other two are up now. Both excellent.

Edit: and no spoilers in here. The ad agency didn't know the story to the game when they were made.

Haunted

GhaleonEB said:
My single biggest issue with Campaign so far: no three-way battles. Those were some of the most memorable set piece fights in the first two games, and the new enemy AI for both the Covenant and Flood would make for some spectacular ones. I don't understand why they were not included. :([/spoiler]
Totally agreed. There's a tiny scene in the level where you
are on your way to the crash site of the flood-infested Covenant ship - it has some Elites and the Flood fighting (Elites are quickly overwhelmed) but that's it.
Such a missed opportunity. :/

Frenck

Banned
Does anyone know why there weren't any Enforcers or Flood in vehicles? Fighting against Scorpions and Warthogs = ZOMG

Don't get me wrong, I didn't feel like something was missing, but it seems like a weird thing to leave out. Especially since Quarantine Zone is one of the best Halo levels ever, probably my favourite next to Two Betrayals.

An encounter that my sick mind cooked up:

- MC, the Arbiter and Guilty Spark have to defend a Forerunner structure against the Flood

- The main defense is a Scarab, which you can choose to stay on (plasma turrets on the side, close combat versus boarders)

- The other parts of the defense are a couple of Banshees, Prowlers, Wraiths and some Ghosts, either with you or one of the numerous AI Elites as a driver

- The Flood attacks in waves of Hornets, Gauss Warthogs and Scorpions with the occasional Pelican dropping off troops on the Scarab

- Near the end, before the final wave a couple of Enforcers emerge and help you out against the hordes of Flood vehicles

It could have been part of the endgame of level 8 for example.

In theory it wouldn't be bigger than some of the big level 7 and level 8 battles as far as combatants and vehicles on screen go. The exciting part would be that it's the earlier Scarab encounter at the end of level 7 turned on it's head. Human vehicles are attacking a Scarab and you have to defend it with Covenant vehicles. Would've been a blast for fans of Quarantine Zone.

Numbers

ShinAmano said:
Has anyone attempted to play through Legendary with all the Skulls turned on?

All? Solo, it would be impossible.

Iron restarts the level if you die playing solo.

Co-op, definitely possible..

skybaby

Is bungie.net updating again? Those campaign/online matches are gone forever right? :/
(is this supposed to go into the online topic? I'm not sure!)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Stinkles said:
No. They had no idea. When we saw the rough cut we said, WTF. They even had they general terrain if not right, then close enough.
This is what I meant. Its cool though because now the time lines do not seem broken and it all fits in place even if it just a coincidence.

Won

GhaleonEB said:
I've been doing the same. I just got close to the end of mission eight,
"Cortana" last night; I found her and called it a night. It took me an hour and a half to get up to that point in the mission - and I was loving it. The new tactics the Flood exhibit really come into play more and made for a tense, challenging fight through the muck. A few standout moments -
--Climbing the first big ridge, at the crashed Pelican. There was a huge throng of Flood at the top, but they would swarm in and attack in waves - but they pulled back every time I took out a few, trying to lure me in. One of them was an Elite with a Gravity Hammer, the bastard. He took me out a half dozen times. They no longer do the straight rush, but rather fall back and hide, waiting to pounce. Sneaky.

--Pinned down by scads of turret forms, and diving from one point to another, dropping deployable cover and bubble shields along the way grabbing ranged weapons. I've read lots of people having problems with these guys, but they take about one second of plasma or spike fire, or two Brute Shots, and they fold up. Not bad, I just had to be careful as hell.

It sounds like this is going to be Halo 3's Library, the level every one hates, but I actually find it to be one of the best in the game. Very different, challenging (for the right reasons), with a gorgeous-yet-icky visual style and great atmosphere. The Flood are a smart, overwhelming challenge in this game.

Contrary to that I was shocked how easy it was to just run through that damn level, even on legendary. Finished it probably around 20-25 minutes.

ShinAmano said:
Has anyone attempted to play through Legendary with all the Skulls turned on?
Thunderstorm, Tilt and Mythic on normal was already too much for me.

GhaleonEB

Won said:
Contrary to that I was shocked how easy it was to just run through that damn level, even on legendary. Finished it probably around 20-25 minutes.
I did try to get to the other side of a few rooms for advantage, but never made it - always got overwhelmed; you must have better fleeing skills than I. :p

But I never run from fights - I clear out every area before moving on, even when running is an option. (The little infection forms aside.)

TTG

Won said:

That's what I ended up doing. There are only 2 spots where you have to fire a shot on legendary. The rest is run through and cut down whoever is too close. The invisibility helps too.

I was dissapointed that the flamethrower was useless though.

GhaleonEB

TTG said:
That's what I ended up doing. There are only 2 spots where you have to fire a shot on legendary. The rest is run through and cut down whoever is too close. The invisibility helps too.

I was dissapointed that the flamethrower was useless though.
I suppose when you're running from every fight, it might seem so. I emptied both of them by dropping them in some fallback positions, on the far side of a narrow passage. When I got rushed I'd drop a shield for cover, run back to it and roast everyone who came through - worked like a charm. I also did a good Ripley impersonation, destroying all of the infection form "eggs" on the walls, partly for kicks, partly to help my radar stay clear.

ShinAmano

Flesh Into Gear said:
I did the first 5 minutes of level one. It ended in tears.
Awesome...the only one i would not want on is
Blind
...the others I will attempt...

And nothing is impossible :)

Also if anyone needs help finding them and you see me on hit me up I can help you out.

Blader

Story question:

So Cortana's solution
for wiping out the Flood was the Index from Halo 04? Does this mean she already knew the Ark was building a new Halo?

IT'S BACK!!!

Gonna finish it on Legendary by myself tonight. GAWD I hate level 8. If I ever saw the person who created the idea for that level I would punch him in the face.

Blader5489 said:
Story question:

So Cortana's solution
for wiping out the Flood was the Index from Halo 04? Does this mean she already knew the Ark was building a new Halo?

I guess so,
since it was her idea to get MC and company to go to the ark, as a way to stop the flood.

TTG

GhaleonEB said:
I suppose when you're running from every fight, it might seem so. I emptied both of them by dropping them in some fallback positions, on the far side of a narrow passage. When I got rushed I'd drop a shield for cover, run back to it and roast everyone who came through - worked like a charm. I also did a good Ripley impersonation, destroying all of the infection form "eggs" on the walls, partly for kicks, partly to help my radar stay clear.

On legendary? When you move around with the flamethrower you're waayyy to slow. So unless you have like a dead end behind you.... but even then, meh. Everything up to level 8 on legendary works great, then things start to fall apart, IMO. It's as simple as something mildly annoying on a lesser difficulty becoming really frustrating on legendary.

GhaleonEB

Pudding Tame said:
I guess so,
since it was her idea to get MC and company to go to the ark, as a way to stop the flood.
I still don't understand how that would have stopped the Flood - unless her plan was predicated on the assumption that High Charity would follow to the Ark. It's a plot point I've seen debated, but I really wish it was more clear.

While we're on this topic - the fight with the Covenant didn't seem to conclude; was the fleet that went to the Ark and that Half-Jaw wiped out all that remained? And aren't there still Flood on at least five other Halo rings? I found the ending to be generally satisfying, but it was pretty far from making it clear that any of those fights were finished, so to speak.

TTG said:
On legendary? When you move around with the flamethrower you're waayyy to slow. So unless you have like a dead end behind you.... but even then, meh. Everything up to level 8 on legendary works great, then things start to fall apart, IMO. It's as simple as something mildly annoying on a lesser difficulty becoming really frustrating on legendary.
Out in the open, it was useless; that's why I had to stash it near choke points, to take out groups as they came through, up close. On Heroic I could be a lot more brave; it was handy on Legendary because
the Pure Flood forms would die instantly from fire, rather than after a few moments like Combat forms.

ElRenoRaven

You know I actually found Cortana to be easy in legendary. I simply stayed back and let flood come to me. Then for the long rang flood I would stay back and use a long range weapon and once my shields would be almost drained I would duck back behind cover. The only times I died were cause I made stupid mistakes here and there rushing in too far when I shouldn't have before clearing some.

While most skulls just make the game harder, Blackeye really changes the game, so I think the most impressive skull runs will be all gold skulls, minus blackeye.

siamesedreamer said:
IT'S BACK!!!

Gonna finish it on Legendary by myself tonight. GAWD I hate level 8. If I ever saw the person who created the idea for that level I would punch him in the face.

Nononononono

The idea and style of the place is complete awesomeness.

Its just those long-rang spine guys that are such a complete bitch.

Subarushian said:
Nononononono

Yeah the level isn't bad. It just has some very annoying enemies. I don't hate it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
siamesedreamer said:
IT'S BACK!!!

I still do not understand the so-called hate for level 8 - when I finally got there and beat it the first time, solo on Heroic no less, I thought, "man, this is what people were whining about?"

It's not a cake walk, but come on - man up and stop complaining... you knew a level like that would show up...

Subarushian said:
Nononononono

I like the idea of it... but doing it on heroic and then again with a bunch of skulls on for the achievement I ended up wanting to stab someone in the face.

Specifically the creator of those spine throwing monsters.

GhaleonEB said:
I still don't understand how that would have stopped the Flood - unless her plan was predicated on the assumption that High Charity would follow to the Ark. It's a plot point I've seen debated, but I really wish it was more clear.

While we're on this topic - the fight with the Covenant didn't seem to conclude; was the fleet that went to the Ark and that Half-Jaw wiped out all that remained? And aren't there still Flood on at least five other Halo rings? I found the ending to be generally satisfying, but it was pretty far from making it clear that any of those fights were finished, so to speak.

Out in the open, it was useless; that's why I had to stash it near choke points, to take out groups as they came through, up close. On Heroic I could be a lot more brave; it was handy on Legendary because
the Pure Flood forms would die instantly from fire, rather than after a few moments like Combat forms.
my thoughts are that cortana either knew about the replacement for the first halo and that high charity would folow Truth because Gravemind knew that Truth could destroy all flood by doing so

also the Flood on the other Halo's should be contained a la Halo CE

voltron

As much as I knew this feeling was coming Im feeling a little down knowing that Halo3 is done and dusted... nothing to look forward to etc.

I guess thats what makes that lead up to launch reach such fever pitch in the last few weeks.

TTG

GodfatherX said:
my thoughts are that cortana either knew about the replacement for the first halo and that high charity would folow Truth because Gravemind knew that Truth could destroy all flood by doing so

also the Flood on the other Halo's should be contained a la Halo CE

I didn't like the idea of flood traveling to earth or the ark. I expect to encounter them on Halos...but that's it.

I liked the story of Halo 3 just fine, but I would of certainly done it a little differently. First off it seemed like they didn't know what to do with Gravemind. I'm guessing they were regretting introducing that at all in Halo 2. :lol I would def. have fleshed out the brutes vs. elites story more. It seemed like arbiter vs. truth more than anything. I think there are a few levels there, to show that battle.

voltron

Everyone should check out the commentary on Halo and Halo 2 cutscenes if you can. Really great insights and some back story about how certain things end up getting implemented in the Halo games.

Ten-Song

TTG said:
I didn't like the idea of flood traveling to earth or the ark. I expect to encounter them on Halos...but that's it..

Well... the Ark MAKES Halos, so... that's kinda' close?

I actually loved seeing them in Africa, because it seemed so out of left field that I was still on Earth, but going through a Flood level.

TTG

voltron said:
As much as I knew this feeling was coming Im feeling a little down knowing that Halo3 is done and dusted... nothing to look forward to etc.

I guess thats what makes that lead up to launch reach such fever pitch in the last few weeks.

legendary ending hints at another game in the Halo universe. Ofcourse it was about 5 seconds extra so....

TTG

voltron said:
Everyone should check out the commentary on Halo and Halo 2 cutscenes if you can. Really great insights and some back story about how certain things end up getting implemented in the Halo games.

youtube link plz. :lol

Blader

GhaleonEB said:

I think
the Covenant were wiped out by the end of the game. A lot of the Covenant had killed each other in Halo 2, and it seemed that Truth's fleet was all that remained (especially since the "great journey" was the Covenant's goal, I'd be surprised if they didn't follow Truth to the Ark).

Either way, if there are still some Covenant left, they probably disbanded. The prophets are dead, High Charity was destroyed, and the war (apparently) was finished by the end of the game.

TTG said:
I would def. have fleshed out the brutes vs. elites story more. It seemed like arbiter vs. truth more than anything. I think there are a few levels there, to show that battle.

I hadn't even thought of this, but I completely agree. It would have been nice to see the elites get some payback against the brutes. When the elites got "demoted" in Halo 2 I actually felt bad for them

Please please please tell me there is a way to get around the oh so retarded 4:3 split screen?

I'd seriously dock this game a full point on a review for doing something so retarded

GhaleonEB

Blader5489 said:
I think
the Covenant were wiped out by the end of the game. A lot of the Covenant had killed each other in Halo 2, and it seemed that Truth's fleet was all that remained (especially since the "great journey" was the Covenant's goal, I'd be surprised if they didn't follow Truth to the Ark).

Either way, if there are still some Covenant left, they probably disbanded. The prophets are dead, High Charity was destroyed, and the war (apparently) was finished by the end of the game.
Yeah, that makes sense. Would have been nice to have that part of the story told a bit better; we're left to assume a great deal from some brief snippets of action. I appreciate that Bungie cut down on cinematics in Halo 3 in favor of more in-game story telling relative to Halo 2, but I wish some parts of the development (Cortana's plan) and conclusion (the Covenant fleet wiped out, the Covenant dispbanded, etc.) were more fleshed out. In Halo 2, the focus zoomed way out to give us a lot of big-picture details about the Covenant, and in Halo 3 they zoomed way in to focus on the Chief's story. But I think they lost a little bit of the big picture along the way. At least, that's how it's feeling right now.

And to a comment above - it is odd that we never even see Gravemind in this game. Just his voice, and some tenticles in that one scene. Speaking of which - why did they pull back? I thought he was going to grab Arby and the Chief (again), but then the tenticles just bail out and some Flood pour in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom