• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/15 - 10/21 2007

Xellos said:
Nail --> Head

Obviously I don't know how the game was marketed in Japan, but if it's anything like Z&W's US marketing then this should come as no surprise. Over here, Matt Cassamassina has done more to promote Z&W than Capcom's marketing department. That says it all, really.

Yeah, I have to agree that Casamassina has done really a great job. But it was not his task: Capcom should have marketed the game, but they did almost nothing, either in Japan and USA.

lo zaffo

RamzaIsCool said:
:lol Japan has done it now, they successfully pissed of the Sony, Microsoft and nintendo fans. Good thing I suppose that Japanese developers are looking to the west for sales these days.
Indeed, I agree. Eastern developers need western market more than ever. I think that Zack & WIKI will find in Europe more than a promise land, and Nintendo is distributing it.

ksamedi

Stumpokapow said:
Why do people keep saying "good for FFTA2"? I think that's ambiguous at best. FFTA sold 225k first week for a total 450k. Presumably people want FFTA2 to improve on FFTA and I'm not sure these numbers really indicate that. Obviously it's not a megabomba and I'm sure it'll do at least 180-220k first week, but I doubt it'll improve on FFTA.

Its practically the same game so I guess that its a good thing that people havn't lost interest in the title.

Fun weeks ahead. Long post too.

11/01
NDS San Goku Shi DS 2 - 6,600
PS2 Super Robot Taisen Scramble Commander the 2nd - 10,000
PS2 G1 Jockey 4 2007 - 5,900
PS3 G1 Jockey 4 2007 - 4,500
WII Opoona - 3,000
WII Super Mario Galaxy - 256,000
360 Ace Combat 6: Kaihou e no Senka - 67,000

11/08
NDS Katei no Igaku: DS de Kitaeru Shokuzai Kenkou Training - ¿¿??
NDS Mario Party DS - 242,000
NDS Yosumin DS - 4,200
PSP Akumajou Dracula X Chronicle - 20,000
(11/11) PS3 Shin Sangoku Musou 5 - 176,000
(11/11) PS3 Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction - 11,000
(11/11) 360 Shin Sangoku Musou 5 - 27,000

11/15
NDS Famista DS - 45,000
NDS Game Center CX: Arino no Chousenjou - 46,000
PS3 Heavenly Sword - 16,000
PSP Anata o Yurusanai - 7,500
WII Biohazard Umbrella Chronicles - 105,000

11/22
NDS Dragon Quest IV: Michibikareshi Monotachi - 602,000
NDS Ryuusei no RockMan 2 - 84,000
PS2 Final Fantasy XI: Altana no Kamihei - 83,000
PS2 World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 - 305,000
PS3 World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 - 145,000
WII Mario & Sonic at Bejing Olympics - 67,000
360 Final Fantasy XI: Altana no Kamihei - 13,000
360 World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 - 12,000

11/29
NDS Layton Kyouju to Akuma no Hako - 308,000
PS2 Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes - 94,000
PS2 SD Gundam G Generation Spirits - 231,000
PSP Makai Senki Disgaea Portable: Tsuushin Taisen Hajime Mashita - 17,000
WII Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX2 - 20,000
WII Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes (Double Pack) - 8,600
WII Swing Golf Pangya 2nd Shot! - 6,500
360 Assassin's Creed - 34,000
360 Guilty Gear 2 Overture - 5,300
(12/01) WII Wii Fit - 254,000

12/6
NDS Gintama: Gin-Oh Quest - 31,000
NDS Power Pro Kun Pocket 10 - 47,000
NDS Tales of Innocence - 108,000
PS2 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories - 13,000
PS3 Uncharted: El Dorado no Hihou - 17,000
PSP Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories - 15,000
PSP Minna no Golf Portable 2 - 86,000
PSP Silent Hill Zero - 20,000
WII Minna de Asobou de! Namco Carnival - 1,700
WII No More Heroes - 13,000
WII Tamagotchi no Furifuri Kagekidan - 1,500
360 Atsumare! Viva Pinata - Let's Party - ???
360 Lost Odyssey - 60,000
360 Momotarou Dentetsu 16 Gold - 1,400
360 Virtua Fighter 5 Live Arena - 13,000

12/13
PS3 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
PSP Talkman Travel
WII Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon: Toki Wasure No Meikyuu
WII NiGHTS: Hoshi Furu Yoru no Monogatari
WII Soulcalibur Legends
WII We Love Golf!
360 Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
360 Smash Court Tennis 3

12/20
NDS Final Fantasy IV
NDS Kousoku Card Battle: Card Hero
PS2 Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Matsuri: Kakera Asobi
PS2 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 14 Ketteiban
PS2 Lucky * Star
PS2 Naruto Shippuuden: Narutimate Accel 2
PS3 Time Crisis 4
PSP Hajime no Ippo Portable: Victorious Spirits
PSP Maplus: Portable Navi 2
PSP Patapon
PSP Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku
WII Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Wii Ketteiban

12/27
PS2 Super Robot Taisen Original Generation Gaiden
PS3 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
PSP Star Ocean: The First Departure
WII Nodame Cantabile: Dream * Orchestra
360 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
360 Gundam Musou International

Really fun weeks ahead. Would be twice the fun if a tracker gave us numbers for top50.

Billias

Thanks for the report Vinnk!!
I found these 2 points very interesting:

4. The game and electronics stores are really putting the PS3 front and center, and are making a big deal out of the price cut. Seems they are trying to move units before the new model arrives. I was surprised to see several brand new 20gig models. I thought they were all sold out long ago, seems they were just being kept in back rooms.
8. This week the local Otaku are, of course, talking about Mario, but more than that they seem particularly interested in the new Nights game. This one girl was telling me about her fondness for the Saturn version and said she was buying a Wii for this game alone. I wonder if she will sell it right away once she beats it?

Also, when a gamer sells a used console back to a store, how much of what they spent to buy it in the first place, do they get back(approximately)?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Well Zack and Wiki bombed, plain and simple. Guess it could have been worse and done like Dewey did.

Don't know if its a reflection of the Wii userbase as much as a reflection on bad marketing, but it is what it is.

RE:UC and NiGHTS need to do well this Holiday to show 3rd parties that Wii is a viable platform.

schuelma said:
RE:UC and NiGHTS need to do well this Holiday to show 3rd parties that Wii is a viable platform.
These frequently get brought up, but the new Chocobo's Dungeon could be pretty big, too. Not that S-E is one of the third parties who has failed to find success.

Jetku

Yes, Zack and Wiki sold poorly, but it still seems to have sold a good percentage of what it shipped. Maybe an advertising budget would have helped to create more demand.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
JoshuaJSlone said:
These frequently get brought up, but the new Chocobo's Dungeon could be pretty big, too. Not that S-E is one of the third parties who has failed to find success.

Yeah forgot about that one. Those are 3 big 3rd party games that need to sell this Holiday.

test_account

XP-39C²
jarrod said:
Er, U.N. Squadron was a licensed property.

Well.. i know that Area 88 isnt an original Capcom IP, its original some anime stuff. I also know that it says (c) Daipro 1989/1992 on the title screen of the game (its running on my SNES as i write actually). Many sites mention that Capcom is the developer, but some also mention Daipro, so i dunno whats right, but i think its Daipro.

Anyway, my skilled Google searching (hehe :p) found that Capcom got the rights to the name Area 88, so i dont see why they couldnt release a sequel, do you? :p Capcom also made some cool beat em' up games back in the days that never got sequels too, unfortunatly.

ksamedi

Just look here at GAF, a thread about Metroid, Bioshock or Halo gets thousands of pages long, the official Z&W thread will never be that big here. Even here on GAF the game is not popular, it just means that people don't give a shit about puzzle/advanture games.

Vinnk said:
9. Longtime “Vinnk’s Village” readers might remember “Old Reliable” the Playstation 3 at Famicom Dojo that I became kind of attached to. It was a constant fixture in Hiro’s shop from launch until someone bought it last May. Well, it’s back! The man who bought the system has sold it back to Hiro. He also sold back the 2 Gundam games he bought with it as well as FolksSoul and Minna no Golf. Hiro told me that at first he didn’t want to take it back because he had such a hard time getting rid of it in the first place, but the guy eventually sold it to him for a fraction of what he paid for it.

lol

thats made my day

noonche

ksamedi said:
Just look here at GAF, a thread about Metroid, Bioshock or Halo gets thousands of pages long, the official Z&W thread will never be that big here. Even here on GAF the game is not popular, it just means that people don't give a shit about puzzle/advanture games.

I'd buy it if I had a Wii. I'd buy a Wii if I didn't have to hunt for one. Just sayin...

schuelma said:
Yeah forgot about that one. Those are 3 big 3rd party games that need to sell this Holiday.
I would expect something moderatly big from We Love Golf, too. The japanese are really into their golf games and the Wii is an awesome fit for them. And it's developed by Camelot, so it's guaranteed to be a quality game. Not saying it will do Mario Golf or Minna no Golf (in it's good times) numbers, but with the right marketing (hear that Capcom?) this could be one of the better selling 3rd party games.

stewacide

ksamedi said:

face-sad.gif
face-sad.gif
face-sad.gif
face-sad.gif
face-sad.gif
face-sad.gif
face-sad.gif
face-sad.gif
face-sad.gif
face-sad.gif
face-sad.gif
face-sad.gif

jarrod

Banned
test_account said:
Well.. i know that Area 88 isnt an original Capcom IP, its original some anime stuff. I also know that it says (c) Daipro 1989/1992 on the title screen of the game (its running on my SNES as i write actually). Many sites mention that Capcom is the developer, but some also mention Daipro, so i dunno whats right, but i think its Daipro.

Anyway, my skilled Google searching (hehe :p) found that Capcom got the rights to the name Area 88, so i dont see why they couldnt release a sequel, do you? :p Capcom also made some cool beat em' up games back in the days that never got sequels too, unfortunatly.
Capcom doesn't own the rights to Area 88. They've also never included the original on any of their classics compilations or rereleases.... probably because it's not their property. Pretty simple.

I can't think of any (original) Capcom brawlers that didn't get some form of sequel either, except Captain Commando and later Battle Circuit... and I've heard cases made for BC actually being CC's spiritual sequel. :/

Tron 2.0

PhoenixDark said:
So what's the spin on Z&W's poor performance?
Well, it doesn't seem like Capcom shipped very many copies of the game to begin with. So while the game isn't selling well (6,000 copies? Ouch.), Capcom wasn't really counting on it performing well.

It's a niche title with next to zero marketing and few copies shipped. Who could expect it to sell well?

Tron 2.0 said:
Well, it doesn't seem like Capcom shipped very many copies of the game to begin with. So while the game isn't selling well (6,000 copies? Ouch.), Capcom wasn't really counting on it performing well.

It's a niche title with next to zero marketing and few copies shipped. Who could expect it to sell well?

How many copies were shipped?

01./00. [PS2] Seaman 2 (Sega) - 32,798 / NEW

Damn thats awesome I remember I was going to get Seaman for the Dreamcast but I never did for some reason.

What are the chances of Seaman 2 being a top seller in the U.S. of A. :p

test_account

XP-39C²
jarrod said:
Capcom doesn't own the rights to Area 88. They've also never included the original on any of their classics compilations or rereleases.... probably because it's not their property. Pretty simple.

I can't think of any (original) Capcom brawlers that didn't get some form of sequel either, except Captain Commando and later Battle Circuit... and I've heard cases made for BC actually being CC's spiritual sequel. :/

According to this site it does. But nevertheless, a sequel didnt come. Capcom could have funded it :p Afaik Cadillacs & Dinosaurs (not counting that Sega CD release), Magic Sword (not exactly a beat em' up, but still) and Knights of the Round never got sequels.

InterMoniker said:
Damn thats awesome I remember I was going to get Seaman for the Dreamcast but I never did for some reason.

What are the chances of Seaman 2 being a top seller in the U.S. of A. :p
About as good as its chances of coming out here, fuzzy.

Jiggy

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

11/01
WII Super Mario Galaxy

11/22
NDS Dragon Quest IV: Michibikareshi Monotachi

11/29
NDS Layton Kyouju to Akuma no Hako

(12/01) WII Wii Fit

12/6
NDS Tales of Innocence
PSP Minna no Golf Portable 2
You ain't kidding. Some guts are going to fly sales-wise. And probably for more games than this, but I haven't closely followed news on everything...

Segata Sanshiro said:
Vinnk, this girl interested in NiGHTS, was she cute?

Maybe it is time for Segata to settle down after all
You'll have to fight me for her first!

Put up your dukes for a round of fisticuffs my good man.

*swings impishly*

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
7. Takarajima Z can’t be found at several stores but I don’t believe it is because they sold out. Rather I believe some of the stores never ordered any to begin with. I can confirm that at least 2 stores never ordered it. Also, Famicom Dojo would not have had it at all if not for my pre-order.
:(

yoopoo

Banned
A demo would've helped the sales of Wiki. Nintendo is doing a disservice to 3rd parties by not having a demo channel.

iidesuyo

With these low sales, don't the publishers actually make deficits?

Btw, Wikipedia says that in Japan Wii is outselling PS3 by 3:1 to 6:1 every week, it's not editable :lol

Takuhi

yoopoo said:
A demo would've helped the sales of Wiki. Nintendo is doing a disservice to 3rd parties by not having a demo channel.

A demo was available for Wiki--as a free rental from Tsutaya (sort of the Blockbuster of Japan). Kind of an anachronism in this day and age, but maybe it will sell unusually well at Tsutaya's 400+ stores (which may not be in the official estimates) because of it?

iidesuyo said:
With these low sales, don't the publishers actually make deficits?

Btw, Wikipedia says that in Japan Wii is outselling PS3 by 3:1 to 6:1 every week, it's not editable :lol
Problematic. If we can't change the Wiki, we'll have to change the reality.

Anything coming that might get the sales back to that ratio?

Anything at all?

Lobster

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Problematic. If we can't change the Wiki, we'll have to change the reality.

Anything coming that might get the sales back to that ratio?

Anything at all?

Anything? Don't think so.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

11/01
NDS San Goku Shi DS 2
PS2 Super Robot Taisen Scramble Commander the 2nd
PS2 G1 Jockey 4 2007
PS3 G1 Jockey 4 2007
WII Opoona
WII Super Mario Galaxy
360 Ace Combat 6: Kaihou e no Senka

Opoona sent to die? or is it...

Opoona Matata! What a wonderful phrase

Opoona Matata! Ain't no passing craze

It means no worries for the rest of your days

It's our problem-free philosophy

Opoona Matata!

Opoona Matata?

Yeah. It's our motto!

What's a motto?

Nothing. What's a-motto with you?

Those two words will solve all your problems

That's right. Take Pumbaa here
Why, when he was a young warthog...

When I was a young wart hog

Very nice

Thanks

He found his aroma lacked a certain appeal
He could clear the savannah after every meal

I'm a sensitive soul though I seem thick-skinned
And it hurt that my friends never stood downwind
And oh, the shame
He was ashamed
Thought of changin' my name
What's in a name?
And I got downhearted
How did ya feel?
Everytime that I...

Hey! Pumbaa! Not in front of the kids!
Oh. Sorry

Opoona Matata! What a wonderful phrase
Opoona Matata! Ain't no passing craze

Opoona Matata!
Opoona Matata! Opoona matata!
Opoona Matata! Opoona--

Opoona Matata!

Opoona Matata!

Opoona Matata!

I say "Opoona"

I say "Matata"

ccbfan

Thats one thing MS is great at. They take care of their third party partners. They do everything that's reasonable to help them succeed. From money hats, to demos, to advertising, to live, to Achievements, Japanese third parties must be upset that the 360 never got off in Japan.

Even Sony was good during the PS days. Anyone still remember the FF7 marketing blitz?

lupin23rd

7 / 9 weeks have a PS3 game coming out? Unheard of!

Oddly enough, almost all of those games are buyable (except G-1 Jockey).

Daipro developed Area 88 / UN Squadron but Capcom published it, based on my research. It's from an anime, so like MvC, we won't be seeing a remake or sequel anytime soon.

Actually Carrier Airwing was the sequel - I don't think that was related to the anime was it? They could do a remake / sequel to that one... wish they did!

JoshuaJSlone said:
Blame Nintendo for ASH's lack of success, sure, but can't Capcom take credit for this one?

Nope, not given the effort Sony and Microsoft have both put historically into pushing third party titles, and (more importantly) building up frameworks that support them. The demo thing is a great example: both other current consoles can deliver playable previews of upcoming games to potential buyers, something that's almost certainly done a lot to improve sales of good games. Nintendo don't have a similar structure in place, nor any other obvious support for the companies who've thrown their hat (however tentatively) into their ring.

Lobster

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
Super mario galaxy sent to die?

Some interesting weeks coming up.

More like Opoona gets reinforcements. When people buy Galaxy, they will see Opoona as the new release next to it. 2 games for waiting a long time in line..seems great.

Top Bottom