• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 46, 2007 (Assassins > CoD 4 > Galaxy)

spwolf

Lightning said:
I don't think the Ratchet market own PS3's yet, that is really disappointing as I am having a blast with my copy of the game.

Even PES08 is dropping fast in the UK.

Overall quite strong for all platforms but damn, I only exception is Ratchet bombing...

as in USA (where Ratchet starts slow, sells better during holidays), RC is not title that will rule the list. It never did, it never will.

RC 3 for PS2 debuted on 17th place on Nov/2004 in UK (RCF at 21, with 5x less base)...

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
It's more damning that a game in it's second week (CoD4) outsold Mario than a game in it's first week (AC) doing it.

spwolf

Lightning said:
What you are seeing is a clear difference in userbase size. The PS3 only has 1/3 the userbase of the 360 in UK therefore only gets 1/3 the sales. The same applies to the US, 1/3 or 1/4 the userbase = 1/4 the sales as well. .

You are actually wrong - PS3 has 1/4th of the userbase and sold 1/3 of the AC in the UK... so PS3 version had better attach rate :D

Great AC sales.... as they should be... and kick ass COD4 sales still. 33% drop is VERY small drop.

Acosta

Super Mario Galaxy is going to sell a ton and CoD 4 is going too, so I wouldn´t worry too much about them. For me, Assasin's Creed is the new thing, something different and very attractive to me. I personally love it but I understand and share some of the main criticism, however I feel it does more for videogames than Super Mario Galaxy and CoD 4.

You could say that Super Mario Galaxy is unique as well, but is too unique, is not going to create school. It´s a perfect platformer full of clever designs and charm, but is not going to influence anyone to do things based on it because you can´t export the polish and the talent. And CoD 4 is another shooter with an ok campaign and a MMO as multiplayer, apart of superb technical talent, polish... which is neat but not revolutionary.

Assasin´s Creed is a first step of something I have been waiting for a lot of time in videogames, so I want it suceeds and I think it deserves it for the bravery of the team (not its producer, I don´t share the fascination for Ms Raymond).

I feel bad for Ratchet, I hope sales goes up.

ksamedi said:
Mario Galaxy has the best Wii debut ever people, don't say it bombed or underperformed. Its the best selling Wii game. Multiplatform releases naturally sell better the first few weeks. I think Mario will pass them eventually though.

It hasn't bombed but not being no. 1 is poor for what is one of the best games of all time and is a flagship first party title which stars the platforms most recognised mascot!

I know there has been shortages in some places in the UK, but when i got it on Thursday night at my local GAME they had absolutely loads.

Hopefully it will just keep on selling. Every Wii owner should have a copy of this game.

spwolf

Rowsdower said:
Makes you happy, huh.

not really... hate WWF games and EA needs to be pubished for Simpsons game.. would like to pick up Wii for holidays if I can find SMG here... still lots of fun, fun!

Grecco

Kamakazie! said:
It hasn't bombed but not being no. 1 is poor for what is one of the best games of all time and is a flagship first party title which stars the platforms most recognised mascot!.

Reviews dont equal sales.

Ronok

I was kind of dreading this when I went in and got the game on Friday... Game still had so many copies left and it just didn't feel like it had as much attention as you would expect... I mean the game was at the front of the store, but, I didn't see anyone else buying it. :-/ After playing it I'm actually really dissapointed, the two games I've played this year and really thought "this deserves to have amazing sales" are Portal and SMG. Simply amazing games....

Oh well I expect it to keep on selling, but, if it doesn't fair better then in Japan I'll be really quite upset... :-/

MMaRsu

Banned
Yazan said:
No, no, no, no

Assassin came out the 14th (15th in Sweden). But I don't think that it would change anything.

What? No.

AC's official releasedate was the 16th. I know because on the 14th I searched the city trying to find a copy.

Glad I got one, but that was 2 days before the official release date.

ksamedi

Kamakazie! said:
It hasn't bombed but not being no. 1 is poor for what is one of the best games of all time and is a flagship first party title which stars the platforms most recognised mascot!

I know there has been shortages in some places in the UK, but when i got it on Thursday night at my local GAME they had absolutely loads.

Hopefully it will just keep on selling. Every Wii owner should have a copy of this game.

Well it will probably have a very high attach rate. More than Zelda I think. But not being number one doesn't really mean anything, we also don't get to see the numbers. It could have sold a couple of thousand less than Assasins and Cod 4 which sells on 2 platforms. Also, Cod 4 deserves every single one of those sales, its a great multiplayer game.

justjohn

Ronok said:
I was kind of dreading this when I went in and got the game on Friday... Game still had so many copies left and it just didn't feel like it had as much attention as you would expect... I mean the game was at the front of the store, but, I didn't see anyone else buying it. :-/ After playing it I'm actually really dissapointed, the two games I've played this year and really thought "this deserves to have amazing sales" are Portal and SMG. Simply amazing games....

Oh well I expect it to keep on selling, but, if it doesn't fair better then in Japan I'll be really quite upset... :-/
well i work at game and it was actually selling quite well this weekend, actually more than AC and cod4, but still wasnt a sellout. we still had quite a lot of copies left after sunday evening.

ksamedi said:
It could have sold a couple of thousand less than Assasins and Cod 4 which sells on 2 platforms. Also, Cod 4 deserves every single one of those sales, its a great multiplayer game.

It sold less than the 360 versions of AC and Cod 4. Games are listed for individual formats now.
So the difference between total AC sales and SMG sales is greater than the total AC PS3 sales.

not that I care about these things.

surprised mario's not got number 1, however highest wii debut should mean its sold over 70,000 (what i think zelda sold week 1, sorry if i'm wrong) have there been stock problems though as i see amazon have been sold out however i walked into game today and bought whats the situation been elsewhere? also wii games dont seem as front loaded as games on other systems and often they do better 2nd week than 1st (though it has no chance at number 1 next week with guitar hero) so i'd expect it to carry on selling well over the next few months and years (especially as nintendo advertise their games for months on end)

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7995&Itemid=2

Spain:

01. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS2)
02. WWE Smackdown! vs. RAW 2008 (PS2)
03. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3)
04. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (360)
05. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (PS2)
06. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS3)
07. WWE Smackdown! vs. RAW 2008 (PS3)
08. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC)
09. WWE Smackdown! vs. RAW 2008 (PSP)
10. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)

ksamedi

Graphics Horse said:
It sold less than the 360 versions of AC and Cod 4. Games are listed for individual formats now.
So the difference between total AC sales and SMG sales is greater than the total AC PS3 sales.

not that I care about these things.

Oops you are right, I forgot about that. Still though, not seeing numbers doesn't put any perspective into this. Its still the best Wii debut and thats promising for next week where I think it will be no 1.

Elios83

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Spain:

Two weeks ago chart, I'm really interested to see AC and R&C performance in non UK european contries.

Mar

spwolf said:
yeah, WWF game outsold SMG.... :D

homer_beer.png

ksamedi said:
Well it will probably have a very high attach rate. More than Zelda I think. But not being number one doesn't really mean anything, we also don't get to see the numbers. It could have sold a couple of thousand less than Assasins and Cod 4 which sells on 2 platforms. Also, Cod 4 deserves every single one of those sales, its a great multiplayer game.

Didn't Zelda sell almost 1:1 (or at least 1:2) with the Wii at launch last year? If SMG had anywhere close to that kind of attach rate it would far and away be the best selling game of the year.

As someone noted above, you were mistaken about the relative sales to COD4 and AC. The 360 versions of these games both outsold SMG, the overall sales are likely much higher. While this is not impossible, since PC + 360 + PS3 overall userbase is > Wii, it is somewhat unexpected that a single platform with a smaller userbase could have 2 games post bigger openings than Nintendo's #1 Wii opening ever, 4 in the past year if you consider that Gears and Halo were larger as well.

Its still to early to jump to conclusions, but this seems like a similar situation to Japan where expectations for SMG are way too high when they should've been more grounded after the success of Super Mario Sunshine.

It will still sell very well, and a number 3 debut is nothing to sneeze at, but it does seem like we've seen the peak of what Mario can sell as a 3D platformer.

Frillen

Disappointing Galaxy performance. Wii is back with lots of titles in the top 40 though. God for them. I hope Galaxy will pick up in sales, even though it will be hard to climb 'cause of Guitar Hero this week.

I think a lot of people may have missed that Galaxy is Wii's fastest selling Wii entry to date (ahead of Zelda).

That is not only good for Mario, but it puts the success of CoD4 and Assassins Creed into an even more positive light.

Mario is sure to have great word of mouth, it certainly does here and in the mainstream press. I'm sure it will continue to sell at whatever pace throughout Wii's lifetime, and no doubt beat SMS. If Wii wasn't practically guaranteed to be sold out through Christmas, I'd of said Mario retailer bundles would be a dead cert.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Didn't Zelda sell almost 1:1 (or at least 1:2) with the Wii at launch last year? If SMG had anywhere close to that kind of attach rate it would far and away be the best selling game of the year.

As someone noted above, you were mistaken about the relative sales to COD4 and AC. The 360 versions of these games both outsold SMG, the overall sales are likely much higher. While this is not impossible, since PC + 360 + PS3 overall userbase is > Wii, it is somewhat unexpected that a single platform with a smaller userbase could have 2 games post bigger openings than Nintendo's #1 Wii opening ever, 4 in the past year if you consider that Gears and Halo were larger as well.

Its still to early to jump to conclusions, but this seems like a similar situation to Japan where expectations for SMG are way too high when they should've been more grounded after the success of Super Mario Sunshine.

It will still sell very well, and a number 3 debut is nothing to sneeze at, but it does seem like we've seen the peak of what Mario can sell as a 3D platformer.

Can we make a educated guess on how many units AC sold on the 360 and PS3 based on Halo and GEARS first week sales?

mckmas8808 said:
Can we make a educated guess on how many units AC sold on the 360 and PS3 based on Halo and GEARS first week sales?

Halo 3 sold roughly 460k its first week in the UK, based on Chart Track's comment on it selling to 1/3 of the userbase. Every other game mentioned in this thread (and every game in UK history other than one of the GTA games) is less than that. Not really that informative. :(

So for first week:

Halo 3 @ 460k > COD4 360 > Assassin's Creed 360 > Gears of War >= Super Mario Galaxy > Twilight Princess

is a rough guesstimate of the situation since Gears' first week was > TP's last year afaik.

Gears was the #3 fastest selling game of 2006 overall (behind FIFA and Pro Evo), though it was heavily outsold by NFS Carbon in the weeks after launch:

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=389&s=1111

Zelda sold to 2/3 of Wii owners at launch:

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=395&s=1111

apotema

mckmas8808 said:

AC = Animal Crossing or After Christ

Can we say A. Creed or something else??

Good start for Galaxy, it will have a great performance this Christmas, next week we will have GHIII numbers and Mario & Sonic

I am simply gobsmaked at the buying power of 360 owners!

I was certain everyone would be too busy playing COD4 to buy any other game and could only see SMg being #1 in all honesty.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Holy shit at poor R&C sales. How could something so good could bomb so hard. I hope the full month sales in US with all the advertising + console price drop will make it sell at least decently.

Lightning

Banned
Marconelly said:
Holy shit at poor R&C sales. How could something so good could bomb so hard. I hope the full month sales in US with all the advertising + console price drop will make it sell at least decently.
So do I.... I am unhappy that the Ratchet fanbase haven't jumped on board to the PS3.

i get the feeling ratchet would probably have bombed on the 360 as well

It would have for sure. It would sell the best on the Wii.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Marconelly said:

I think Sony needs to bundle this game with the PS3. And I also believe they started advertising this game too late.

spwolf

Elios83 said:
Two weeks ago chart, I'm really interested to see AC and R&C performance in non UK european contries.

it will be very similar, except for Spain probably.
Again, last RC on PS2 debuted at 17th in UK.

Lightning said:
So do I.... I am unhappy that the Ratchet fanbase haven't jumped on board to the PS3.

i get the feeling ratchet would probably have bombed on the 360 as well

It would have for sure. It would sell the best on the Wii.

With the money put into advertising R&C and its demo, i'm sure it would have done much better on 360 but unfortunately we'll never know. 360 owners seem to be more aware of what games are the ones to get and a demo on XBL would have meant 300k uk sales easy!

Superfrog

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Spain:

And Germany:

01. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC)
02. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (360)
04. Hellgate: London (PC)
05. WWE Smackdown! vs. Raw 2008 (PS2)
06. Fussball Manager 2008 (PC)
07. Singstar: Apres Ski (PS2)
08. Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training (DS)
09. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
10. SingStar: Rock Ballads (PS2)

Neomoto

I have yet to see a Galaxy commercial (Netherlands). Where as I've seen a lot of Zelda: PH commercials for instance lately. Is Nintendo advertising the game in the UK or relying on brand / word of mouth?

Edit: Have seen multiple Ratchet commercials though, very nice ads at that. Shame it didn't seem to help much.

Zozz

Banned
OMG I'm laughing so much at people trying to defend Mario's honor.

Seriously, all of you by now should know how Mario sales work. Just because it's Mario doesn't mean that it has to be number one and thats good that AC sold better in that time frame. Mario will have good sales but more as in the long run, learn to chill.

Neomoto said:
I have yet to see a Galaxy commercial (Netherlands). Where as I've seen a lot of Zelda: PH commercials for instance lately. Is Nintendo advertising the game in the UK or relying on brand / word of mouth?
Don't know about UK, but in Germany Mario Galaxy is the first major Wii release with a proper advertisment push since Super Paper Mario. Even though they screwed up on the initial shipment and re-stocking, they got at least that right.

Zozz said:
OMG I'm laughing so much at people trying to defend Mario's honor.

Seriously, all of you by now should know how Mario sales work. Just because it's Mario doesn't mean that it has to be number one and thats good that AC sold better in that time frame. Mario will have good sales but more as in the long run, learn to chill.

Who's "defending Mario's honor"? The only things people have been saying is it done good, which it did. You're making a big deal out of nothing, you need to chill.

Ratchet :(.

Oxx said:
Are Nintendo having problems with Mario Galaxy?

I haven't picked it up yet and I was pretty surprised to see it out of stock on Amazon/Play/Virgin etc.

What's the situation like in game stores?
It's the same for me as with MP3 (no store around has it and they don't know exactly when they'll get new stock). I could probably find it if I make another drive around but got no time for that. Mario will have to wait :(. Nintendo needs to get their act together with first party software. First MP3 and now SMG - it's DVDs ffs. And it'll only hurt sales.

El-Suave said:
The Collector's edition is 79 Euros currently on Amazon.de (only available for 360 at the moment and with 2-3 weeks wait). It's not just Ratchet that they overpriced though. Happend to Heavenly Sword for quite some time as well. Also 70 Euros on Amazon. Kind of defeats the purpose of first party games being a bit more affordable. To be fair though it must be said that pricing is a bit more reasonable in other stores but Amazon must get their prices somewhere.
72 € is the RRP for those games (Lair, R&C, HS). So if it's 70 € at Amazon you're actually saving 2 € of the RRP.

Superfrog said:
And Germany:...
Kurosagi left that out for a reason. We'll get the official german charts later this week.

Superfrog said:
And Germany:

01. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC)
02. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (360)
04. Hellgate: London (PC)
05. WWE Smackdown! vs. Raw 2008 (PS2)
06. Fussball Manager 2008 (PC)
07. Singstar: Apres Ski (PS2)
08. Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training (DS)
09. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)
10. SingStar: Rock Ballads (PS2)

I know it has been said thousand times, but again: these next-gen.biz charts are either old or wrong (or both).

Top Bottom