• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness: Jonathan Blow on his PS4 Open-World Puzzle Game - Adam Sessler Interview

Gaz_RB

Youtube

No new footage but definitely interesting. I'm looking forward to it. I like what he says about no arbitrary puzzles, and I always like to hear Jon Blow talk about the industry.

StuBurns

Banned
I think the shit he got for the picture frame puzzle has scarred him for life.

I think the game is going to be stunning, but I really want to know how you keep track of your progression if it's as open as he suggests, and how the audiolog interface works. So many questions.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Didn't check out the interview since I'm playing PoE, but I'm glad he abandoned the iOS version to perfect the PS4/PC versions.

Empty

i loved braid and love the look and concept of the game and blow is such a compelling speaker

but gosh every puzzle i've seen in the witness just baffles me completely. i think i might be too stupid for this game.

Gaz_RB

i loved braid and love the look and concept of the game and blow is such a compelling speaker

but gosh every puzzle i've seen in the witness just baffles me completely. i think i might be too stupid for this game.

I feel the same way. That's why I'm so interested in playing it.

sublimit

Banned
Really looking forward for this.It's been a while since i played a good puzzle game.I also love the art direction.

2San

I didn't like braid, but this looks really good. I really like the art style. I still have no idea how the puzzles work though.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Looks great but I hope its more than just a Myst style puzzler. Gotta be some kind of pretentious story behind the game right? :)

StuBurns

Banned
I bet the protagonist is a witness to something
The original ending to The Prisoner was going to be that he, himself, was the person responsible for running the town, and got himself caught to test it himself.

That's how The Witness ends.

viveks86

Broken link! :(

But man! There are so many screens on that website that I haven't seen before! Leaving them here for those who may have missed it

shot_2013.09.18__time_14_11_n09.png

shot_2013.09.12__time_09_59_n02-512x288.png

shot_2013.09.12__time_11_10_n04-512x288.png

shot_2013.09.12__time_11_09_n03-512x288.png

rocksImg-07.jpg

rocksImg-06.jpg

rocksImg-09.jpg

rocksImg-11.jpg

rocksImg-13.jpg

rocksImg-15.jpg

rocksImg-17.jpg

rocksImg-18.jpg

rocksImg-19.jpg

shot_2013.08.05__time_12_03_n19.png

tunnel_desktop_final.png

I could listen to Blow talk all day. The Witness is one of my most anticipated games. It's looking better and better every time I see it. Take your time Jonathan!

Adam Sessler... I wish he investigated Blow's answers a bit more, rather than jarringly steering the conversation other directions. But I trust Blow's vision.

My guess on the puzzles.
Looking at the puzzles, I'm guessing that you start at X and want to get to Y. Along the way there's black nodes and white nodes. As you traverse between two nodes, you increment your black point or white points; at the end you want to hit a sweet spot number of points of each.

Castef

Banned
Youtube

No new footage but definitely interesting. I'm looking forward to it. I like what he says about no arbitrary puzzles, and I always like to hear Jon Blow talk about the industry.

Funny note.

Titanfall is coming out for Xbox One and PC. People get in queues in order to be able to say "I'll play it on PC!"

The Witness is coming out for PS4 and PC. It magically becomes "a PS4 puzzle game".

NeoGaf... :D

Atrophis

But man! There are so many screens on that website that I haven't seen before! Leaving them here for those who may have missed it

Yup. Went to the site for the first time today and couldn't believe how many new screenies were there. Lots of interesting posts detailing the development of the game too.

tensuke

I think the shit he got for the picture frame puzzle has scarred him for life.

What shit did he get for that?

Game looks incredible to me, I love puzzles and this sort of intuitive free-roam schtick sounds like it'll be a great experience. 600 puzzles too?!? :O

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
God this is such a sexy game. And Blow is such a confident speaker about his passions for this product (and not in that hokey Randy Pitchford style, either), I think we're really going to be in for something when this finally hits.

All those screens and all these puzzles mean jack squat to me. I've never been bombarded with so much information about a game and had no idea what any of it means.

This is gonna be awesome!

StuBurns

Banned
What shit did he get for that?
It's not so much the puzzle itself, I think everyone agrees it was pretty genius, but he got a ton of criticism because the game presents puzzles in a linear way, but that specific puzzle can't be solved until you've got more of the pieces in that first world.

0xCA2

I didn't expect Blow to be so interested in making puzzles that can be intuitively grasped, or focusing on how difficulty is distributed throughout the game, etc. This makes me even more excited for The Witness.

Can't wait for this to come out so Blow can tell us how we're not liking it the correct way.

Well... from what I remember, he was anti-targeting specific people. He said that these game "reviewers" and the like, who do this for a living and are paid to do it, didn't GET the game like others who get less coverage and do this for the love of it (I imagine these are people on message boards just as this one).

Funny note.

Titanfall is coming out for Xbox One and PC. People get in queues in order to be able to say "I'll play it on PC!"

The Witness is coming out for PS4 and PC. It magically becomes "a PS4 puzzle game".

NeoGaf... :D

Makes sense to me. Mouse+KB controls are better than analog sticks for FPS. Besides, Microsoft's garnered a lot of ill-will and people will look elsewhere in that case.

Can't wait for this to come out so Blow can tell us how we're not liking it the correct way.

I think he was more annoyed that reviews just took Braid on its superficial level of pretty graphics, cool mechanics, but not focusing as much on the storytelling. That's just a guess, I never checked those reviews so could have been something more fundamental.

StuBurns

Banned
He was disappointed his intent wasn't communicated, what's wrong with that? Art debate aside, you spend years of your life, and all of your savings, lovingly crafting this thing, and people love it, but not at all for what you believe makes it special. Seems like a totally fair thing to be disheartened by.

inm8num2

Someone needs to put Blow on this poster.

I cannot wait for this game. It's going to be completely immersive. I love the idea of exploring and solving puzzles at your leisure and desired pace. Stuck? Take a break, wander, find something else. I really hope this game accomplishes what it sets out to do.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What's in there? I must know...

More importantly, if that's the PS4 build, 60fps? Sexy times.
It definitely looked 60FPS when he was demoing it some days ago on that Sony presentation where they were showing a few other games too. He was demoing it with DS4, so I'm guessing/hoping it was PS4 build.

StuBurns

Banned
It definitely looked 60FPS when he was demoing it some days ago on that Sony presentation where they were showing a few other games too. He was demoing it with DS4, so I'm guessing/hoping it was PS4 build.
Excellent, I was hoping it would be, it's kind of silly, but when line drawing is such a focus, I want an immensely satisfying interaction with it, even if it means the pretty world has to take a heavy hit in IQ.

Top Bottom