• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming will never be taken seriously until it fixes the bs

Cdammen

These driver issues some people are having, I have no idea what kind of config makes them appear because I (anecdotal - yaaay) haven't had any major problems in 12 years. I'm not kidding. Even before Steam when installing something from disc things just worked.

Last time I had a problem was when I wanted to play Outcast on my modern PC. I Google'd and found a patch to make this "ancient game" run on my new PC. But then again, I wanted 16:9, super-sampling, AA, and so forth, stuff that the engine (which uses sweet sweet voxels) wasn't really built for :)

(EDIT) Last time I had a problem was in 1999, that was the last year I had my Windows 98 machine. And it was riddled with shit, hahaha. Good lord that thing was old.

Kinthalis

Banned
Oh, it is, no argument there. My last PC build was much easier this time around, especially the hardware.

But I think there's still plenty of work to do to get PC gaming more accessible to make sure it competes against consoles and such.

Do we really want that? The so called PC gaming "niche" appears to span dozens of millions of people across the world. And it continue to grow!

Do we want average Joe gamer rushing out en mass to get a gaming PC?

Maybe PC gaming just isn't for average Joe Schmoe. Maybe it's for different people. For people who aren't afraid of options, but embrace them.

I'm cool with that. The 60+ million Steam users are cool with that. The hundreds of millions LOL/DOTA/WOW etc, etc player are cool with that.

Why is the holy grail of PC gaming supposed to be entering the console market?

I think that's where PC gaming goes to die.

99% of the time I don't have any issues with games that I buy on Steam. Amazon, Gamersgate and retail copies are a different story, but Steam to me is just awesome in taking all of the trouble out of pc gaming.

I remember gaming on pc's back in the late 80's and early 90's, now that was a pain in the ass...today, we have it made.

Crisco

Banned
PC gaming has always been the superior experience, that has never, and will never change. It will also always require a larger investment of time and money than console gaming. What has changed is that the gap between the PC gaming experience and console gaming, especially since the advent of HD games, has increased while consoles have been saddled with many of the pitfalls of PC gaming while enjoying none of the benefits. Meanwhile comfy couch gaming, the main benefit of consoles, has become incredibly easy to replicate with PCs.The PS4/XBO will both be marred by a myriad of technical problems, especially at launch, while providing a poorer experience to contemporary PCs that don't even have the latest hardware. They also will still not have things like free user content, robust and cheap DD, legacy game support, and will never be upgradeable with new technologies. Console exclusives remain really the only reason to not invest in a PC as your primary gaming machine.

Sarcasm

Interesting just watched a guy playing that be batman game on his Xbox complaining about the poopy fps and it froze on him...he had to restart them it happened to him again.

Was funny watching the guy rage lol.

I think the issue is with this specific batman game. I have about three hundred steam games and some odd number from gog. Haven't had to tinker with anything. I every ran fallout 1 with out any hitches.

Leb

People are ignoring another very real danger of building your own computer -- life-threatening lacerations of the hands and fingers. As someone who's built countless home computers and worked for years in a datacenter, I can't tell you how many times I've sliced my fingers/knuckles/palms and been rushed to the hospital suffering from massive blood loss. I eventually had to quit the datacenter job due to long-term complications from multiple blood transfusions.

So be safe, people, and think twice before building your own PC; it can be extremely hazardous to your health.

Taker34

Banned
That's what I don't like about PC gaming. These drivers and settings... it's annoying. Almost all of my games work fine but just when you planned to spend 2-3 hours playing a game, it just won't work. There's nothing better than trying to make your game work for several hours. Recent example Rainbow Six: Vegas which was free on Amazon. In that time I could put in my PS3 or 360 disc into the console and play the game (with 20fps and crappy textures, but it works).

Wiktor

And your view of the average consumer seems to be dictated by neogaf and living in an internet bubble. Any time I tell someone that I play games on pc, they look at me like I'm some kind of crazy person, or the most hardcore gaming freak on the planet. They either tell me, "oh I didn't know you could play 'real' games on pc, or "pc games look like shit and are garbage" referring to games like The Sims, facebook games, minecraft, etc. The idea that you could play games like Batman, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc on a pc is a totally foreign concept to some people.
You're living in a small bubble and you're making a mistake by assuming your bizzare situation is a common thing. It's not. It's rarity and you just have a severly skewed perspective.

todahawk

Do we really want that? The so called PC gaming "niche" appears to span dozens of millions of people across the world. And it continue to grow!

Maybe PC gaming just isn't for average Joe Schmoe. Maybe it's for different people. For people who aren't afraid of options, but embrace them.

I'm cool with that. The 60+ million Steam users are cool with that. The hundreds of millions LOL/DOTA/WOW etc, etc player are cool with that.

I think you misunderstood... I'm not talking about dumbing down, I'm not talking about removing choice, I'm talking about improving the PC experience. Like it or not there is competition with the consoles and if PC gaming puts it's head in the sand regarding consoles I think it will be a mistake.

I think Steam OS is one response, Valve didn't like Microsoft's direction... I love the openness and flexibility of PCs but I still think there's room to improve, that's all I'm trying to say.

I haven't had to download drivers or really change settings in months for a specific game but continue on with the hyperbole. Its not that hard to just use google and youtube for whatever problem you're having.

Willectro

Banned
I should also add that many of the games I enjoy (and will continue to enjoy) aren't extremely taxing. Understandably, many focus on the latest and greatest but fail to consider the extremely large catalog of games available on the PC (many of which do not require $2000 rigs to enjoy).

riflen

This thread is nuts. Gaming on PC is way, way more viable than it was when I started in the 90s. Updating a driver or changing an ini file to fix an occasional save bug is nothing compared to trying to free up enough higher memory in DOS to run something. And things are becoming easier still, with programs like Geforce Experience and Raptr that set up games for you.

I'm going to have a little chuckle the first time a thread appears about an XBox One update that bricks the console, or whinging that PSN is delivering a firmware update at 80 kb/s.

People are ignoring another very real danger of building your own computer -- life-threatening lacerations of the hands and fingers. As someone who's built countless home computers and worked for years in a datacenter, I can't tell you how many times I've sliced my fingers/knuckles/palms and been rushed to the hospital suffering from massive blood loss. I eventually had to quit the datacenter job due to long-term complications from multiple blood transfusions.

So be safe, people, and think twice before building your own PC; it can be extremely hazardous to your health.

This is the truth. Back when I was installing an aftermarket heatsink on an old Socket A AMD processor (for those who don't remember you had to use a flathead screwdriver to push a latch down and out to hook it over a notch on the motherboard), but my screwdriver slipped, jabbed into the motherboard and the side of my hand sliced open on the case. Got blood all over the mobo. Surprisingly, cleaned it up nice and thoroughly with some alcohol and it worked just fine.

Would the Steam machines address the issues in the OP?

The thing is, I've always wanted to get into PC gaming, but the cost of entry and the intricacies involved to actually get games to run smoothly have always driven me away. Plus, I know my PC is not powerful enough to play a lot of heavy-duty games.

A Steam machine with the SteamOS would be able to streamline that entire process, right?

Faustek

Going to Quote myself...only time I didn't sound as a giant douche so using it for now.

I'm sorry for saying this, I really am.

But let's assume that you have some tech savy but the other person is an nincompoop and has two antivirus progs running which in fact are viruses themselves. Tons of shit installed and never ever formated/defraged or uninstalled a program but just force deleted them so the registry is still cluttered with crap.

Actually I'm sad but this is a reality. Many many youngsters today actually suck donkey droppings when it comes to computers.
Their parents identify them as tech geniuses because they spend so much time on it. But ask them to build a PC? No way, ask them to switch os? Nope. Tell them to format and reinstall? Nope.

Forced my twelve year old niece to install crunchbag and config it before I bought her a rig. And I forced her to assemble and take apart both a laptop and desktop. Sure she needed help translating the English but she managed.

When she was 16 I forced her to unlock a nexus7, install a Cm10 all through adb commands and wrecked it on purpose before I bought her a tablet.
And now, this 17 year old is acting tech support for ALL the "data nerds" in her class. Yeah I call a duck a duck and I call these "data nerds" for lazy gamers.

And no I'm not crazy I just demand that she knows his to fix her toys before I give them to her. Next year we're moving onto cars.

This is the level of many "PC-Gamers" out there. And a lot of our future pc gamers. Apple/Microsoft have made the pc so simple. Especially Apple, the "it just works" creed is actually a two egged sword and sharp edge is always pointing against us.

I've seen some general points that are always made in this thread about "only tech-geeks" know that stuff. No Seriously no. That is basic knowledge. It would do you good to know as much as possible especially these basic things if not I hope you all get a decent job so you can pay people to fix your "problem" or you know spend some time to actually better yourself before we head into Idiocracy.

I think you misunderstood... I'm not talking about dumbing down, I'm not talking about removing choice, I'm talking about improving the PC experience. Like it or not there is competition with the consoles and if PC gaming puts it's head in the sand regarding consoles I think it will be a mistake.

I think Steam OS is one response, Valve didn't like Microsoft's direction... I love the openness and flexibility of PCs but I still think there's room to improve, that's all I'm trying to say.

No there isn't

that's the very definition of a niche
it's its own thing and it's own market

It needs to stay that way
console gaming suffered from trying to become more like a pc (all the downsides but because of a closed platform not a single one of the advantages)
Pc gaming does not need to become 'more accessible' , it's as accissible as you can get without taking things away from the user.

Say bad ports, you'd do what? quality control? you can't have that because it's an open platform
If you had a governing body regulate it for quality control to prevent ubisoft from shitting out crappy ports it would no longer be an open platform.

idiot proof it more? how? you can't unify the whole platform (console only gamers often seem to think pc is steam, when steam is just a limited subset of the platform)
you can't force people into using certain hardware or certain drivers , certain OS, a unified online service or any of that crap for compatibility's sake, because again that would stop pc from being open.

The only thing you can do is have consumers be more discerning and stop supporting developers who don't finish their games.
Open market, open platform, it'll sort itself out because anyone is free to compete
GFWL and live gold fees for pc bombad miserably and dies a sweet glorious death because MS couldn't force anyone to use their stupid paywalled shit.

MS tries to begin turning windows into some Apple style walled garden where they control the authentication for software (baby steps with windows store and tiles, like they always do) and the consumer spat that shit out.
Why? because there is no message saying 'you need to install the update to windows 8 if you want to install this game/software' to force people to go along with it, like there was when you wanted to play a game on ps3 after the firmware update that removed otherOS or the vita update that made it harder to use multiple accounts

I hope you understand why people balk at the slightest hint at turning the pc into some kind of console like device. It's a road we REALLY don't want to go down.

Would the Steam machines address the issues in the OP?

Yes, it's quite likely. Although the Steam Machines will have a variety of specs, SteamOS will be a gaming-oriented OS free of the Windows baggage and much more streamlined and easy to use as a result. Driver and system updates will be handled automatically by the OS so, in theory, a Steam Machine should be just as simple and trouble-free as a console.

Yes, it's quite likely. Although the Steam Machines will have a variety of specs, SteamOS will be a gaming-oriented OS free of the Windows baggage and much more streamlined and easy to use as a result. Driver and system updates will be handled automatically by the OS so, in theory, a Steam Machine should be just as simple and trouble-free as a console.

That's exactly what I want!

A good Steam machine is looking to be a better next-gen purchase for me than a PS4 right now (although, it's not like I'm getting a PS4 this year anyways).

Pakkidis

Don't kid yourself, the fact that steam machines can be upgraded to your liking means their are going to be problems. Unless of course the new steam knows exactly why your game doesn't work/crashes and automatically downloads the appropriate files from the internet for it to work then I would be impressed.

I just got a new pc 2 weeks ago and the first game I downloaded from Steam did not load. I tried a few things and still couldn't get it to work. Finally a few days ago I tried again and had to download some files from nvidia in order to get it to work. Files completely unrelated to the game.

dLMN8R

I think you might want to clarify a bit because this wrong on quite a few levels.

I realize that NeoGAF and the gaming sites everyone follows has a huge North American/Western European bias, but I thought it was fairly common knowledge in enthusiast circles these days just how utterly massive PC games are in Asian and Eastern European areas.

League of Legends alone has enough active players to compete with console gaming.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I realize that NeoGAF and the gaming sites everyone follows has a huge North American/Western European bias, but I thought it was fairly common knowledge in enthusiast circles these days just how utterly massive PC games are in Asian and Eastern European areas.

League of Legends alone has enough active players to compete with console gaming.
Casual gamer numbers don't count if I don't like pc

Opiate

I think you might want to clarify a bit because this wrong on quite a few levels.

Okay, what are those levels? As someone who follows video game financials rather closely, I believe he is correct. I could still be incorrect, of course. If I am, please elaborate.

I never said that PC gaming isn't massive, its just not bigger than console gaming. Considering you're talking revenue?

ElRenoRaven

And this is why I do prefer to console game. I just love being able to put a disc in, start the game, and play. All without having to deal with a crash and then search for possible fixes, etc just to get it to play. I still game on PC but without a doubt I do enjoy gaming on a console a hell of a lot more.

ShowDog

Had a similar problem about 2 hours into Tomb Raider: whatever the second newest one is called. No refund, no help to solve issue, no reselling the game. Feels shitty when it happens.

Still prefer PC for the variety of games and the cost factor.

Don't kid yourself, the fact that steam machines can be upgraded to your liking means their are going to be problems.

I' sure that there will be some sort of component certification or guidelines in order for a living room PC to be classified as a Steam Machine. I doubt that hardware will be a problem, most of the problems in PC gaming can be attributed to software or user error. SteamOS should solve those issues.

StevieP

Banned
And this is why I do prefer to console game. I just love being able to put a disc in, start the game, and play. All without having to deal with a crash and then search for possible fixes, etc just to get it to play. I still game on PC but without a doubt I do enjoy gaming on a console a hell of a lot more.

But it's not really like that anymore. You put in a disc then wait 30 minutes for an update from PSN. Like a PC but slower.

MogCakes

That is mostly a cultural thing more than an issue with the platform itself, given how this situation is quite different in other countries. It'd be a good idea to research more into that before claiming this. Particularly in Europe and Latin America.

These are true. Worldwide, consoles have lost favor with people as the associated costs of PC (everyone needs a PC, consoles not so much) offer a better deal than consoles. Piracy/torrenting is another reason people prefer PC (not necessarily as a negative or a positive; it is what it is), as well as the customization options which are the best of any electronics device. This is as far as 'hardcore' gamers go at least. IPad and other mobile devices are quickly gaining ground.

I think you and crafty are painting a worse picture of Average Joe than reality. The reality is that many people game on both consoles and PC depending on which games come out that they want to play, many normal, average people do this and PC gaming is in no way the ivory tower some people make it out to be. Some titles are better suited for the PC environment, others are more suited to the convenience of consoles should the consumer prefer that. Stop making this into a fucking platform war. PCs and consoles have always competed at the very least as entertainment devices, but that's a competition that doesn't need to enter someone's personal identity as a 'gamer'. It's sales. So fucking what.

And on that note, to Crafty, I'll reiterate I disagree that PC gaming isn't taken seriously, just because it isn't as streamlined as consoles and some pubs treat it like shit doesn't mean it isn't well loved and supported by its community and other devs. And I said it before, but the MMO realm wouldn't exist without the PC, and it is huge.

But it's not really like that anymore. You put in a disc then wait 30 minutes for an update from PSN. Like a PC but slower.
And when it's up to date I can play within a minute. The updates are definitely a pain in the ass and unwelcome though.

Opiate

I think the advantages have been muted but not entirely eliminated. Consoles have indeed gotten more complex/buggier as they have become more PC like, but they're still simpler than PCs. The gap has just narrowed.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
LOL, but now you have to install games on consoles, have day one patches, etc.

I mean, sure, if you had a PS2 I would understand (although those loading times... urgh), but nowadays and on the future, the console situation is worsening, while PC gaming is becoming easier and easier.

That is unless you buy a Nintendo console (2 years after it is released, because they can't get the OS working out of the gate...)

hlhbk

I took a lot of people's advice and just decided to reformat my pc, I had too much junk on there anyway so I hope this alleviate some of the issues. I do still think there is a future where pc gaming is as simple as console gaming, where you can have all the nice bells and whistles, mods, etc and still have a plug and play experience no different than that of consoles. Until that happens however, I stand by my statement that pc gaming will never be a serious option by the mass gaming public. There is simply too much baggage and backend jank for the average consumer to put up with, when all they want to do is play a game.

We've made great strides in bringing costs down, living room experiences, universal controller support, etc. Why too can't the jank be fixed as well? Valve wouldn't be spending millions on a steam os if they didn't feel they needed to fix something, and that there is a hole in the market for potential pc gamers.

There isn't any real reason to become super defensive at the prospect of pc gaming not being as big a thing as console gaming. I love my pc, I spend an overwhelming majority of time on it versus my console, but I'm not naive, it's not taken as seriously as it should be or as much as I want it to.

Since you seem to not anwser my questions this is probably pointless but I will try anyway. Do you want to still have the option to build a PC and put whatever hardware you choose (not mandated by any standard) into your PC? Please anwser this question.

deroli

I'm a PC gamer for now about one and a halve years. Most of my games are on steam, some are part of Humble Bundles, very few are retail games. Here's the list of annoyances that occured to me:

-Two games regularly crashed when I quit them (Dirt2, Thomas was alone)
-Sleeping Dogs crashes with the hi-res texture pack that obviously is incompatible with the game's German version
-Trackmania2 doesn't fully support my controller, I have to use my keyboard to join online races for example
-I *thought* I encountered The Walking Dead's save bug, but it turned out all my choices carried over
-Several games have lackluster support for Nvidia's 3D system
-I had to tweak my Eventghost profile, otherwise it would crash while playing games. I used EG to control several programms with my 360 controller
-Bully had some section with terrible slowdows

...that should be it. So yeah, it's not completely hasslefree. But considering I've played about 30 games, that list is pretty short. I can't remember having to download huge patches before finally being able to start a game (that might be part of the steam magic?). I've never had to tweak ini files or update my drivers because certain games didn't work. Nowadays basically none of my game crash, at least while I'm playing them. Also, I don't spend more than a few minutes in the graphics settings menu. Usually, I choose high settings. When that doesn't work, I reduce effects like shadows or motion blur and that always worked. No AA though.
So, to summarize my last 18 months with my gaming computer: I love pc gaming :)

dLMN8R

I never said that PC gaming isn't massive, its just not bigger than console gaming. Considering you're talking revenue?

I don't really care about revenue. Maybe it's larger, maybe it's not, there's no way to tell without transparency into free to play games.

The thread topic makes a grand statement about being "taken seriously". Quite obviously, PC Gaming doesn't need any help in its ability to be "taken seriously".

Most games come out for it. It has the biggest games in the world. It has the most people playing. It has by far the largest professionally competitive scene.

What I want to know is what the OP means by being "taken seriously", since all the obvious metrics have been ruled out. Is revenue the only thing? That somehow once more people start spending more money on PC games it's "serious" vs. where it is today?

I guess? Seems pretty silly to me though.

MogCakes

Since you seem to not anwser my questions this is probably pointless but I will try anyway. Do you want to still have the option to build a PC and put whatever hardware you choose (not mandated by any standard) into your PC? Please anwser this question.

He's already made his position clear. He enjoys the benefits of PC gaming (customization, performance, freedom) but is chaffed by the hurdles it can sometimes present in usability. He's over exaggerated some of his claims, but that's his position. I don't find it particularly disagreeable.

I do find his claim that PC gaming isn't taken seriously to be disagreeable however.

hlhbk

I like PC gaming OK, but the BS as you put it is the reason I often prefer console/mobile/handheld gaming. I personally don't have the time or patience to deal with MAJOR issues, and minor issues make me feel uneasy. That stuff is WORK. I do WORK on computers. I think PC gaming has a lot of amazing unique games, but I wish stuff just WORKED.

Said like someone who really doesn't understand PC's and is a end user plain and simple. Myself I am on the other end of the spectrum. I started PC gaming in 93 and it led into my interested of troubleshooting PC's, and starting a career in IT.

hlhbk

...for you.

I don't understand the confusion- PC construction, driver issues, OS issues, etc. are a hassle for some people. A hassle some don't want to deal with.

I hope that the PC continues to become less of a hassle but I understand completely that some people don't want to deal with it, especially as they get older and time is at a premium (family/work).

I still build my PC because I like it and enjoy it but god help me when things go bad on PC it's beyond frustrating. Thank goodness for the PC community that exists to help resolve issues or I would've given up long ago (looks sternly at Fallout 3).

If they don't want to deal with it I totally understand. Their alternative is consoles, not to streamline PC gaming.

efeman

Banned
OP seems a bit blown out of proportion. I'm 21, have been PC gaming for a little over a decade. There were plenty of times that I tinkered to get something to work right; but considering how there is no "standard" configuration for a computer, bugs are expected.
That being said, I haven't had to touch much (as in, probably less than ten times) in the last two or three years. Certainly not: "Disabling a keyboard driver to get a game to work, editing ini files and replacing .dll files on a regular basis, certain settings like DX11 or physx breaking a game, windows updates interfering with your game in the middle of a session, limiting certain games to two cores so they don't crash every 10 minutes".

"poor optimization, games being broken at launch": As I said, there's no standard configuration for PCs. Speaking as a budding software developer, it's actually an incredible accomplishment for PC games to do as well as they do on average.

I don't think people understand how much of a clusterfuck it is to develop large software projects, especially on a platform like Windows. The number of variables is mind-blowing, and there is a shit ton of things that are out of the hands of developers. Until you get an understanding of software development, don't bash developers.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is why I don't bother with PC gaming. My gaming time is limited, and the last thing I want to do is fuck around trying to get a game to function.

If they don't want to deal with it I totally understand. Their alternative is consoles, not to streamline PC gaming.

y90HRy0.gif

hlhbk

I sure hope this was a joke post. If it is well played. If it's not you are crazy. I work in a datacenter daily and never had issues.

njean777

Correct, PC Gaming revenue is notably larger than any console and even larger than all consoles combined in revenue generated.

Are we only referring to free to play games on this? I wouldn't be so sure that regular 60$ games on PC make more money then their console counter parts. That more then likely will be fixed this gen as free to play is making its way to consoles.

Dahaka

Uh source? Because most every tangible numbers point otherwise.

He's counting everything. Facebook, Browser Games, AAA, F2P, just EVERYTHING. And he's very right. Those numbers dwarf everything.

AAA games however are a different story. However I wish certain fanatics (not directed at you opiate) who are more (or only) AAA focused and use graphics as their first argument in heated debates often desperate cling onto those total numbers because the reality of AAA sales (on PC) sometimes doesn't look very exciting.

Top Bottom