• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Closer look at the Xbox One from a user who got the console early

Pavaloo

Remind me of Zune Originals:

mWkxTnX.jpg

All of MS' best stuff has been reminding me of the Zune team :(

eso76

Dunno, very curious what CBOAT his point was for pointing out the obvious. I don't want to discredit him, his leaks are great. But the last just seemed to me like he was trying to scare people away.

that was all a bit strange, in general he doesn't have a problem sharing insider info, but he wouldn't spill the beans on what these issues were..

No joke, this guy is a better promoter of the UI then Microsoft right now. He is making me want to go out and get this system. If all these impressions hold up come launch day, consider me interested. Also he talked about the snap feature more in-depth which I was most interested in on the Xbox One.

I was already interested because of Dead Rising 3, D4, and Killer Instinct. The UI just looks so good, and that snap feature would help me out a ton.

Rey

Anybody know why he stopped with all the info leaks? I know he is banned but he can still play offline right?

Spawnling

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/the-xbox-ones-ui-may-have-sold-me-on-the-kinect-pack-in

So when I say “Xbox, show me my stuff,” it matches the voice, but also my relative size in the room. My son can walk in and give the same command, and it will match the voice and his size and bring up his content. If he does so and tries to play an M-rated game and his account is locked down, he won’t be able to play.

So what happens if my son walks in the room and unplugs the kinect and grabs the controller?

All the recent positive reactions to UI demos should be a proof that kinect is an important part of the experience, and one on which MS would bet to convince people to buy their product. Without it, you basically have the same ergonomy as the 360 OS.

I think you're interpreting some of that praise as praise for voice control. I like the style and feature set of the OS, but if I still believe I'll control it with the cobtroller the vast majority of the time.

Cynn

The voice features are neat and snapping apps seems like it would be less of a hassle than picking up your smartphone for the same functions but once the games started I could never get over playing inferior software as a trade. (ports not exclusives naturally)

How many people will really use snapping and heavy voice navigation past the first week of ownership? It reminds me of Siri on iphone. It seems really neat and it's fun for a while then it gets old and you never use it again. Unfortunately, once you get back to a singular focus you realize what you traded for that week of "magic" features was a generation of lesser core experiences.

I hope MS invests heavily in first party and exclusive content this generation. Things coded to the metal and lacking nothing. (Like Forza)

I could snap being very useful for RPG games and the like. Video guides, text guides, etc. Not particularly revolutionary and chances are I'd probably default to using my tablet/phone, but it's nice to have options...

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
The voice features are neat and snapping apps seems like it would be less of a hassle than picking up your smartphone for the same functions but once the games started I could never get over playing inferior software as a trade. (ports not exclusives naturally)

How many people will really use snapping and heavy voice navigation past the first week of ownership? It reminds me of Siri on iphone. It seems really neat and it's fun for a while then it gets old and you never use it again. Unfortunately, once you get back to a singular focus you realize what you traded for that week of "magic" features was a generation of lesser core experiences.

I hope MS invests heavily in first party and exclusive content this generation. Things coded to the metal and lacking nothing. (Like Forza)

Actually, I use Siri for Weather, Maps, and NFL scores on a daily basis. It's much quicker than typing it in. Also, if I don't know how to spell a certain places name, siri usually knows.

I feel like once I get used to Kinect navigation(and if it works consistently, I won't likely want to move 20 places on screen to get where I want to go. If I can just say "Xbox go to indie game, ______".

weevles

Looking good. If MS is smart, they'll leave all this alone and let these early leak guys be the best marketing for XBO they've had so far.

if that wasn't the plan all along

Cynn

Actually, I use Siri for Weather, Maps, and NFL scores on a daily basis. It's much quicker than typing it in. Also, if I don't know how to spell a certain places name, siri usually knows.

I feel like once I get used to Kinect navigation(and if it works consistently, I won't likely want to move 20 places on screen to get where I want to go. If I can just say "Xbox go to indie game, ______".

I can dig that. I use Siri when I need hands free stuff. But if pins work as well as they do on Xbox 360, nothing of interest will be 20 places away. My girlfriend is going to love just telling the Xbox to open Netflix. I would have preferred power vs smartphonish apps being the focus though. In fact, a set top box for $99 that did all of this would have been great. Then allow people who wanted the fluff features to hdmi it into an Xbox mega-beast console for an uncompromised experience.

KnuckaWut

man this console is a monster, too bad for the res issues, but those 720 screens look glorious. 1080 for games and this thing would've been godlike.

Rey

man this console is a monster, too bad for the res issues, but those 720 screens look glorious. 1080 for games and this thing would've been godlike.

Yeah pretty much my feelings. Still disappointed with the power of both next gen consoles. let's hope for a 5 year cycle.

Oemenia

Banned
MS can never fail at one thing and thats their UIs, give them that credit at least before we started talking about how crap the Xbox One (and anything MS related) is.

I dont know, the CPU is good enough, loads of RAM but the GPUs are disappointments compared to the XBOX, 360 and even the PS3. Lets not forget that the 7800 GTX wasnt even announced when the RSX was detailed at E3 05. Then again the Xenos wasn't exactly a beast but just elegantly designed, excluding the eDRAM it wasn't all that in raw power.

zinder

Is there any chance of this guy being some kind of Microsoft employee? Otherwise, this actually looks great. Might consider getting Xbox One next year.

TUROK

What happened to all the rumors from "insiders" of doom and gloom for the Xbox OS and such? Pure bullshit?

What happened to all the rumors from "insiders" of doom and gloom for the Xbox OS and such? Pure bullshit?

Insiders relayed old information? MS have been updating the OS pretty regularly based on what we've heard. The latest update, released late Oct seems to have stabilised snap.

Now we're waiting to see if the reports of XBL being broken and being broken for potentially months are still accurate...

I know people will just call me fanboyish......but the new UI just seems really cluttered to me. I've always like my XMB because of how simple it is, and it looks like Sony is keeping that basic feel, but the more I see the XBone UI, I just can't seem to like the tile format.

I don't know, maybe I'm just being nitpicky. The UI has some awesome features, just from an aesthetic standpoint, not my cup of tea.

I know people will just call me fanboyish......but the new UI just seems really cluttered to me. I've always like my XMB because of how simple it is, and it looks like Sony is keeping that basic feel, but the more I see the XBone UI, I just can't seem to like the tile format.

I don't know, maybe I'm just being nitpicky. The UI has some awesome features, just from an aesthetic standpoint, not my cup of tea.

Sony is using tiles though.

Both dashes have a similar look to them.

REV 09

people getting all worked up about a console that has always been a work in progress. typical fud and jumping to conclusions.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Does anyone know if we can keep our current gamerpicture? If possible I'd like to keep my brute chieftain as my gamerpic. New ones look neat though, way better than what the Xbox 360 offered us.

I don't think they're going to stop you from doing this, but from various looks at the dash it seems like 360 gamerpics don't fill up the entire square which to me is a deal breaker. I like my Alucard pic. ;_;

Top Bottom