• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So season 1 of RWBY ended...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Edit: Since people seemed really confused about what it is, I'm posting the trailers so people get an idea.

Ruby, Weiss, Blake, Yang

*sigh*

Walking dead is the worst thing I watch, but this is probably the worst thing I watch that I actually like. The story feels like it's the writers first attempt at one with the truly ridiculous pacing issues it has. I'll say that it has some decent humor, and the action scenes are Monty Oum, so you can expect greatness when there is a fight (especially episode 8). The characters can be really fun to watch, especially Yang and I love the stylized fairy tale mythology. If you like those things and have a high tolerance for anime-isms and high pitched voice actors and some abrasive characters, you might enjoy it.

(Spoilers from here on)

That said, I can't shut off my critical faculties and I have to confront the fact that this is really badly written in most areas, with the most problematic area being pacing. It has WAY too damn many ongoing plotlines. We have the foreshadowed Grimm Apocalypse in the beginning, Ruby's social issues, the criminal conspiracy going on, trying to pass tests in school, Weiss' attitude, Jaune's insecurities, Yang's protectiveness over her hair, Blake trust issues, the faunus racism, Juane's bullying, and the finale introduced a goddamn robot with a secret purpose of all things. The show makes better progress with the personal issues of the characters, but the results vary. Ruby's social issues have a nice progression to them. However, Weiss was abrasive for 8 episodes before she finally managed to chill out over stupid shit. Then in Episode 9 and 10, she regressed back until she was given a pep talk and finally agreed to be a teammate. And then in episodes 15 and 16, she's a problem again with Blake. I don't mind bitchy characters as much as most, but she can't constantly be the problem in every group conflict. Then there is Jaune, who is given entire episodes to himself, when he was already taking up a large chunk of screentime before. Episodes 11-14 are all dedicated to him, a quarter of the entire series, when he's not even on RWBY.

By my rough count, there are a total of 13 plotlines (probably more) going on in a sixteen 5-15 minute per episodes series. Look, I am all for ambitious storytelling with grand worlds and a huge cast, but you don't want to start the story with them. It's overwhelming and makes progress difficult. Case in point, we essentially know nothing about the criminal conspiracy Roman is behind and there has been no progress made on the Grimm apocalypse they opened the show with. They only touched upon the faunus racism and never even went into the tournament had foreshadowed for the past 4 episodes.

Which isn't getting into the fact that a lot of what does progress isn't doing so very well. Some of the arcs the characters go through are so generic. Weiss has to be nicer. Jaune has to stand up to his bully. Racism is wrong. These are all things worth exploring, but they ought to go into more depth than they did if they don't want to bore the audience with this onslaught of cliches. Cardin, the school bully, is particularly bad. He isn't given any characterization other than being a colossal asshole for no apparent reason. As a result of this, I enjoy Yang's character the most. She is badass and gives no shits. She basically has no plotline other than filling in the 4th spot on team RWBY, but she steals the show for me every time she does something, because she seems to be having so much fun and does audatious shit in fight scenes. And that's RWBY at it's best, not when it's trying to do drama it's simply not measured up to do.

It's disappointing, because the people at Roosterteeth are capable of good writing, but apparently they didn't work on this project. There is definitely more bad about it than good, but if you can tune out the bad, you can enjoy it for the humor, fights, and music can definitely be fun.

mclem

It might have helped to have expanded the acronym once. Since you haven't, I'm going to assume this is of course referring to the classic series, "Rambling with Boris Yeltsin"

Mook1e

It might have helped to have expanded the acronym once. Since you haven't, I'm going to assume this is of course referring to the classic series, "Rambling with Boris Yeltsin"

No shit. This is getting ridiculous on GAF.

Veelk

Banned

It's the title of the show. And expanded, the acronym wouldn't make much sense, since it's just the names of the 4 allegedly main characters.

Mook1e

*sigh*

Walking dead is the worst thing I watch, but this is probably the worst thing I watch that I actually like. The story feels like it's the writers first attempt at one with the truly ridiculous pacing issues it has. I'll say that it has some decent humor, and the action scenes are Monty Oum, so you can expect greatness when there is a fight (especially episode 8). The characters can be really fun to watch, especially Yang and I love the stylized fairy tale mythology. If you like those things and have a high tolerance for anime-isms and high pitched voice actors and some abrasive characters, you might enjoy it.

(Spoilers from here on)

That said, I can't shut off my critical faculties and I have to confront the fact that this is really badly written in most areas, with the most problematic area being pacing. It has WAY too damn many ongoing plotlines. We have the foreshadowed Grimm Apocalypse in the beginning, Ruby's social issues, the criminal conspiracy going on, trying to pass tests in school, Weiss' attitude, Jaune's insecurities, Yang's protectiveness over her hair, Blake trust issues, the faunus racism, Juane's bullying, and the finale introduced a goddamn robot with a secret purpose of all things. The show makes better progress with the personal issues of the characters, but the results vary. Ruby's social issues have a nice progression to them. However, Weiss was abrasive for 8 episodes before she finally managed to chill out over stupid shit. Then in Episode 9 and 10, she regressed back until she was given a pep talk and finally agreed to be a teammate. And then in episodes 15 and 16, she's a problem again with Blake. I don't mind bitchy characters as much as most, but she can't constantly be the problem in every group conflict. Then there is Jaune, who is given entire episodes to himself, when he was already taking up a large chunk of screentime before. Episodes 11-14 are all dedicated to him, a quarter of the entire series, when he's not even on RWBY.

By my rough count, there are a total of 13 plotlines (probably more) going on in a sixteen 5-15 minute per episodes series. Look, I am all for ambitious storytelling with grand worlds and a huge cast, but you don't want to start the story with them. It's overwhelming and makes progress difficult. Case in point, we essentially know nothing about the criminal conspiracy Roman is behind and there has been no progress made on the Grimm apocalypse they opened the show with. They only touched upon the faunus racism and never even went into the tournament had foreshadowed for the past 4 episodes.

Which isn't getting into the fact that a lot of what does progress isn't doing so very well. Some of the arcs the characters go through are so generic. Weiss has to be nicer. Jaune has to stand up to his bully. Racism is wrong. These are all things worth exploring, but they ought to go into more depth than they did if they don't want to bore the audience with this onslaught of cliches. Cardin, the school bully, is particularly bad. He isn't given any characterization other than being a colossal asshole for no apparent reason. As a result of this, I enjoy Yang's character the most. She is badass and gives no shits. She basically has no plotline other than filling in the 4th spot on team RWBY, but she steals the show for me every time she does something, because she seems to be having so much fun and does audatious shit in fight scenes. And that's RWBY at it's best, not when it's trying to do drama it's simply not measured up to do.

It's disappointing, because the people at Roosterteeth are capable of good writing, but apparently they didn't work on this project. There is definitely more bad about it than good, but if you can tune out the bad, you can enjoy it for the humor, fights, and music can definitely be fun.
At least explain what it is since the only way to figure it out would be to read spoilers, but who wants to do that?

Moaradin

This is the Rooster Teeth thing right? I saw a little bit of episode one. The CG looked really bad and the voice acting was horrible, so I couldn't get into it. A shame since I really liked Red vs. Blue.

I have a buddy that keeps trying to get me to watch this show. I could hardly get through the previews; a lot of the animations are reeaally stiff, and the VO is horrible. I might give it another go at some point.

Veelk

Banned
I have a buddy that keeps trying to get me to watch this show. I could hardly get through the previews; a lot of the animations are reeaally stiff, and the VO is horrible. I might give it another go at some point.

Well, nows the best time. The season is finished and you can blaze through the eps pretty fast.

Kinyou

I want to like it because I love MontyOum but the writing is just so atrocious. The look of the protagonists isn't helping either. Couldn't watch more than one episode

When it first came out, I tried to like it, but my god the characters just grated on me. (Such as that really incompetent guy with the hoodie, how did he get into the school with barely any knowledge of supposedly basic mechanics of the world besides to be a way to communicate stuff to the audience?) Every time people weren't fighting, they were being annoying/"funny," and non-action scenes were a far more common occurrence than I had been hoping.

I dropped this not long after they were launched into the forest to go do something. From what you have described, I don't feel the need or desire to watch any more of it.

I don't know if I outgrew Rooster Teeth or what, but I feel like the quality of their content has dropped. I don't find anything they do entertaining anymore.

Alphahawk

Like most people I came in here just to see what RWBY stands for.

Apparently according to wiki, it's pronounced "ruby".

Ember128

I haven't seen something this bad in a long time. It's like when someone gets a project and it just turns out awful when they should stick to something they're good at.

Like Two Broke Girls.

-Horizon-

Like most people I came in here just to see what RWBY stands for.

Apparently according to wiki, it's pronounced "ruby".

Yes, that is how you pronounce it. The meaning behind why it's called RWBY is explained in one of the eps. And like someone else said before, explaining what the acronym stood for wouldn't make sense either.

It might be better to rename the thread like "season 1 of animated web series RWBY just ended" just to avoid confusion.

RetroMG

btw. will Monty ever return to Dead Fantasy or is that completely off the table?

He works full time for the Rooster Teeth crew as an animator/fight scene coordinator, working first on Red vs Blue, and now he's the showrunner for RWBY. So I imagine he's a bit busy.

On the topic of the show name, it's pronounced Ruby, and it's an acronym for the four main characters' names, as well as the colors that identify them.

I like it, but I only got about halfway through the season. Now that it's over, I'll go and finish it out. My best friend refers to it as "My Little Anime: Friendship is Bullets."

TasTokyo

I don't know if I outgrew Rooster Teeth or what, but I feel like the quality of their content has dropped. I don't find anything they do entertaining anymore.

I think the problem is that a lot of the time they have hired new people without really any consideration if those people are good at writing or being on camera etc, just that they like them.

It's very noticeable if you watch the Let's Plays that Achievement Hunter do. Some of the "newer" staff are great (Ryan, Michael etc) but every time they have Caleb, Lindsay or Kerry on a Let's Play I will often just skip it.

On topic with RWBY it is shockingly bad. Bad animation, bad voice acting, bad writing. It's like watching a low budget JRPG with poor localization.

Veelk

Banned
I updated it so that people could be more informed.

No one seems to have seen the full season except me, so all that I wrote up seems to be for naught :(

Kinyou

He works full time for the Rooster Teeth crew as an animator/fight scene coordinator, working first on Red vs Blue, and now he's the showrunner for RWBY. So I imagine he's a bit busy.

On the topic of the show name, it's pronounced Ruby, and it's an acronym for the four main characters' names, as well as the colors that identify them.

I like it, but I only got about halfway through the season. Now that it's over, I'll go and finish it out. My best friend refers to it as "My Little Anime: Friendship is Bullets."
It surprises me that Rooster Teeth hasn't jumped onto it and sponsored some episodes. But I guess handling the copyright stuff would be a nightmare

RetroMG

It surprises me that Rooster Teeth hasn't jumped onto it and sponsored some episodes. But I guess handling the copyright stuff would be a nightmare

Wait, sponsored what? If you are referring to RWBY, they are sponsoring it. It's their show. It's on their site, their Youtube channel, and they sell RWBY merch on their store including the DVD/Bluray.

From what I understand, Monty Oum went to Burnie Burns (creator of Red vs Blue and former CEO of Rooster Teeth) and said "I have this idea for an Anime show." and Burnie said something to the effect of "If you get Red vs Blue Season 10 out on time, we'll give you whatever you need to do your show."

Zyphos

Neo Member
I saw the whole season. It's okay, short and enjoyable but admittedly pretty low quality overall. The whole things seems really hit and miss, sometimes it's pretty good, and then it just drops the ball with a cringe worthy scene of some kind.

Most frustrating thing is the ~3-5 minute episodes that all end of cliffhangers. Nearly every episode does this, and if you're gonna watch it I recommend rolling through the whole season (45 minutes total, maybe?) in one go.

Veelk

Banned
I saw the whole season. It's okay, short and enjoyable but admittedly pretty low quality overall. The whole things seems really hit and miss, sometimes it's pretty good, and then it just drops the ball with a cringe worthy scene of some kind.

Most frustrating thing is the ~3-5 minute episodes that all end of cliffhangers. Nearly every episode does this, and if you're gonna watch it I recommend rolling through the whole season (45 minutes total, maybe?) in one go.

Yeah, that's a good way to describe it. It's actually a total time of around 2 hours, so like a full movie, but like you said, there are some good moments, but a lot of the time it plunges into cringe territory.

Kinyou

Wait, sponsored what? If you are referring to RWBY, they are sponsoring it. It's their show. It's on their site, their Youtube channel, and they sell RWBY merch on their store including the DVD/Bluray.

From what I understand, Monty Oum went to Burnie Burns (creator of Red vs Blue and former CEO of Rooster Teeth) and said "I have this idea for an Anime show." and Burnie said something to the effect of "If you get Red vs Blue Season 10 out on time, we'll give you whatever you need to do your show."
Sorry, I meant sponsoring some Dead Fantasy episodes

-Horizon-

I updated it so that people could be more informed.

No one seems to have seen the full season except me, so all that I wrote up seems to be for naught :(

I've seen it. There are definitely problems in pacing and the way the characters are handled (I really dislike Jaune). Though I've never really expected something deep, I've seen some of Roosterteeth's work with Red vs Blue up to...season 7 or 8 I think, I lost interest with that show as they became more serious with the plot.
Animation is wonky but that's expected and I forgive them for it because the fights make up for it.
Overall it's alright. Weiss, as annoying as she is sometimes, is still my favorite.

I put the blame squarely at the feet of Monty oum. Dude went off on the deep end.

He basically is living his fantasy out as a anime character now.

I was amazingly hyped for RWBY. I watched halfway through the first episode and haven't returned to it since.

WTF is this shit?

EdIt: Has anyone done a compilation of all the fight scenes at least? Hopefully they are still passable.

Veelk

Banned
I put the blame squarely at the feet of Monty oum. Dude went off on the deep end.

He basically is living his fantasy out as a anime character now.

I was amazingly hyped for RWBY. I watched halfway through the first episode and haven't returned to it since.

WTF is this shit?

EdIt: Has anyone done a compilation of all the fight scenes at least? Hopefully they are still passable.

Just watch Episode 8. It's basically the best episode in the series. There aren't actually that many fights as you'd expect.

I've seen it. There are definitely problems in pacing and the way the characters are handled (I really dislike Jaune). Though I've never really expected something deep, I've seen some of Roosterteeth's work with Red vs Blue up to...season 7 or 8 I think, I lost interest with that show as they became more serious with the plot.
Animation is wonky but that's expected and I forgive them for it because the fights make up for it.
Overall it's alright. Weiss, as annoying as she is sometimes, is still my favorite.

Monty Oum says they correct some stuff when they put the episodes up on youtube. I expect they'll all be corrected by the time the DVD releases.

And, really, Weiss? Yang's the top dog on the show, by far.

Just watch Episode 8. It's basically the best episode in the series. There aren't actually that many fights as you'd expect.

Monty Oum says they correct some stuff when they put the episodes up on youtube. I expect they'll all be corrected by the time the DVD releases.

And, really, Weiss? Yang's the top dog on the show, by far.

Just skimmed through it.

Never give this dude a budget again RoosterTeeth

What utter Shite.

Veelk

Banned
Just skimmed through it.

Never give this dude a budget again RoosterTeeth

What utter Shite.

He just needs a good editor to tell him when to fucking stop with the plotlines. The potential in the universe and characters are there, and nothing has been irreversibly damaged yet. The show has it's good points, they just need to plan things out better.

Only two episodes have worthwhile fight scenes, the rest of the series has horrible pacing. However I keep watching it as I like watching the japanese reactions to each episode on niconico...(yeah I'm crazy)

I'm curious. What are they?

It built up a small following in Japan. There's even one fandub of one of the episodes. As far as I can tell, the series resonates better over there, a lot less hate and more respect over how something like RWBY came from the US. It's actually a very different reaction which is interesting to watch. Many people there like the voice work and is genuinely surprised that it's all staff that does the voices. Of course there are negative reactions as well. People saying it's using MikuMikuDance as well as it overusing a lot of the typical anime stereotypes. Some even wondering if Japan is losing it's creative status to the US because something like RWBY wasn't made in Japan lol. The fun ones are people seeing how the west sees anime, that hits the whole emotional spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom