• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 45, 2013

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
lol, do you even want a new title after Black Ops: Declassified?

I want a new COD made by a good developer in a reasonable amount of time. Not only was Declassified made by shitty dev, but it was also rushed out in a few months. A good developer wouldn't have been able to make a good game in that time. If they would have ported Ghosts to Vita instead of Wii U and had Treyarch do the port, it could have been good. I along with many others may well have bought it.

In any case I guarantee the game would have sold better than how the Wii U version is selling and to me it does seem silly for them to make a Wii U version but not a Vita version.

Taker666

Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics for the Wii U didn't even chart...

..not that I'm surprised as I've barely seen it mentioned anywhere.and it had absolutely zero marketing (it was only when I checked to see when it was released..that I found out it had been).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Actually, we have something which can resemble an estimate for Ghosts.
Unfortunately, Batman: Arkham Origins estimate is not as precise as the others, but it should have sold around 7.507 units (probably, it's more around 8.000-8.500, but let's use that). And it sold lower than COD on PC.
Then

Call of Duty: Ghosts >750.700
Xbox 360 (62%) >465.434
PS3 (34%) >255.238
PS4 (3%) >22.521
PC (1%) > 7.507

Kenka

Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics for the Wii U didn't even chart....

zu51a.gif

Mpl90

..not that I'm surprised as I've barely seen it mentioned anywhere.and it had absolutely zero marketing (it was only when I checked to see when it was released..that I found out it had been).

It's 10th in the Wii U Only top 10. And the sixth (Batman: Arkham Origins) sold around 800 units. It's lower than Sonic: Lost World.

TheZjman

Banned
So the fact that Arkham Origins Wii U didn't chart and sold around 850 copies, means that Mario and Sonic 2014 sold around that number too?

And that means the the NSMB/LU Bundle sold above that, which i guess is not too bad.

Does anyone know how well the previous Mario & Sonic game did?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Should be greatly concerning for Sega. Not too long ago, it was one of the only titles carrying them.

Raist

Banned
Actually, we have something which can resemble an estimate for Ghosts.
Unfortunately, Batman: Arkham Origins estimate is not as precise as the others, but it should have sold around 7.507 units (probably, it's more around 8.000-8.500, but let's use that). And it sold lower than COD on PC.
Then

Call of Duty: Ghosts >750.700
Xbox 360 (62%) >465.434
PS3 (34%) >255.238
PS4 (3%) >22.521
PC (1%) > 7.507

We have fairly accurate higher limits as well (I posted them earlier on), based on FIFA14 first week numbers. So taking everything into account:

CoD: Ghosts
465,434 < 360 < 518,320
255,238 < PS3 < 261,800
22,521 < PS4 < 25,080
7,507 < PC+WiiU < 8,360

750,700 < Total < 836,000

Also, you should use comas to separate thousands otherwise US/UK folks will be confused :p

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I didn't even know it existed. If I didn't know it existed then the general public has no chance.

Haha true that. At the very least it seems like Vita forced sony to create a porting department so at least that might be its legacy. Still ghost should have been at least attempted to be ported. Maybe by the time they had their porting department up it was too late to get it out this year. Maybe Activision screwed SOny over and gave them Spiderman to port instead.

Again do people really think that PS4 and Xbone version of Ghost will bridge that 700k gap?

Oh I agree but to see the actual drop from last year the sales from the launches need to be taken into account. I think it's will be at least 200,000 across both consoles.

Mpl90

Such a horrible debut for Mario & Sonic on Wii U makes me think the 3DS version has to come soon.

But Winter Olympics are coming too soon, so it's impossible

Steroyd

Their newest game did half of last' years CoD's numbers and last year, BO2 did 400k less than MW3. They've lost around a million in the space of 2 years. There's no way the next gen consoles will make up even fraction of that. Activision should be concerned with CoD numbers. Thankfully for them they were smart enough to forsee this and thus we have Destiny.

Wait wait wait, you mean COD sales have actually been declining year on year?

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

*ahem*

X1 + PS4 would have to launch with 700k hardware sales week 1 and 1:1 Ghost attach ratio just to match BLOPS2. Do you think this is even a remote possibility? Also, doesn't Ghost have an upgrade package to next gen in the UK or is that US only?

Yeah Cod Ghosts has the upgrade package but I can't imagine too many people spending a total of £60-£70 when you could just wait a few weeks.

All I know is that COD sells gangbusters in the US and UK and I do expect a high attatch rate, maybe not that high, but Activision was blaming lower sales in the run up to next gen so I'm assuming they're taking the wait and see approach before crying over their millions.

They didn't seriously release it exclusively on Wii U did they? Not even a 3DS version? Never mind a Wii one.

That's gonna cut Sega deep seeing as how huge that series has been for them in the past.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They didn't seriously release it exclusively on Wii U did they? Not even a 3DS version? Never mind a Wii one.

That's gonna cut Sega deep seeing as how huge that series has been for them in the past.

DA6c1Sq.jpg

3rd game should be a quicky Sonic Generations port at this rate rather than another actual investment into oblivion.

Saty

I wonder if jvm can inquire how much a portion do PC exclusives have vs. PC multiplatform in the YTD units at retail.

Raist

Banned
X1 + PS4 would have to launch with 700k hardware sales week 1 and 1:1 Ghost attach ratio just to match BLOPS2. Do you think this is even a remote possibility? Also, doesn't Ghost have an upgrade package to next gen in the UK or is that US only?

Yep, not gonna happen. For reference, the PS3 sold a bit over 165k during its first week, and was the 2nd fastest selling platform ever in the UK (behind the PSP and even ahead of Wii).

DA6c1Sq.jpg

3rd game should be a quicky Sonic Generations port at this rate rather than another actual investment into oblivion.

I guess that depends on who'll be footing the actual development bill on that last title, Sega or Nintendo. If Nintendo are only publishing/paying for exclusivity on the title rather than actually covering the cost of it's creation, then Sega must be in a pretty rough spot right now I imagine :/

That's the last thing they need these days.

Pie and Beans

Could be even Bayonetta Reloaded or a 3ds game, nothing is known.

Its specifically Sonic.

Theoretical futures, and with the "Sonic sells better on Nintendo" argument still in action, giving up a title (Lost World) that could have been around for the family friendly arm of PS4 and Xbone launch and piggy backed sales there seems like yet another poor choice. Just wonder how much Nintendo slung their way at all to make any of this worth it.

Moonstone

Repost, deleted my earlier post, because numbers were incomplete and found more.
Data is from media control and was published in the recent Focus magazine.

We had a europe hardware sales data thread, but I couldn't find it.

Germany LtD hardware sales (in million):
NDS 7,5
PS2 5,9
Wii 4,6
PS3 3,9
360 2,4
PSP 2,0
3DS 1,6
PSV 0,2
WiiU 0,16
Total 28

Germany Q1-Q3 2013 hardware sales :
3DS 347k (343k)
PS3 280k (424k)
360 165k (220k)
Wii 85k (192k)
WiiU 75k
PSP 48k
PSV 48k
NDS 17k
PS2 200 (lol)

Other stuff:
-3DS sold 700k last year. They expect at least a two digit growth(~ >770k)
-PSP and Wii are still selling
-NDS really killed the PS2

WBIE and Activision raking in all that Wii U software monies.

Like I said in the other thread. This all makes a mockery of Iwata's no payola policy. There is absolutely no way Wii U versions of these games would have been greenlit without Nintendo stumping up some cash for porting them. The business case for third parties to port games to the Wii U doesn't exist. Nintendo will have had to incentivise them in some way.

I think Watchdoge is the last major third party game that the Wii U will get at this rate.

Repost, deleted my earlier post, because numbers were incomplete and found more.

NDS 7,5
PS2 5,9
Wii 4,6
PS3 3,9
360 2,4
PSP 2,0
3DS 1,6
PSV 0,2
WiiU 0,16
Total 28

Germany Q1-Q3 hardware sales :
3DS 347k (343k)
PS3 280k (424k)
360 165k (220k)
Wii 85k (192k)
WiiU 75k
PSP 48k
PSV 48k
NDS 17k
PS2 200 (lol)

Other stuff:
Great, thank you. :)

Yep, not gonna happen. For reference, the PS3 sold a bit over 165k during its first week, and was the 2nd fastest selling platform ever in the UK (behind the PSP and even ahead of Wii).

The PS4 and Xbone are going to break UK launch records, and CoD isn't going to stop selling in November. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 version increased the next two weeks.

Oh I just saw, Mario and Sonic on the Wii U top 10...

That was one of the few games I thought could actually sell a reasonable number of units, and it debuted at a measly few hundred.
Like I said in the other thread. This all makes a mockery of Iwata's no payola policy. There is absolutely no way Wii U versions of these games would have been greenlit without Nintendo stumping up some cash for porting them. The business case for third parties to port games to the Wii U doesn't exist. Nintendo will have had to incentivise them in some way.

I think Watchdoge is the last major third party game that the Wii U will get at this rate.
I suppose if COD does decently in the US, it could see another COD. But I don't really see it happening now unless it does at least a few hundred thousand there. And I previously considered COD one of the few "safe" franchises that may still get ported.

Mpl90

NDS 7,5
PS2 5,9
Wii 4,6
PS3 3,9
360 2,4
PSP 2,0
3DS 1,6
PSV 0,2
WiiU 0,16
Total 28

3DS 347k (343k)
PS3 280k (424k)
360 165k (220k)
Wii 85k (192k)
WiiU 75k
PSP 48k
PSV 48k
NDS 17k
PS2 200 (lol)

Other stuff:

Given the German shares for Q1

05l.jpg

And how, across all Europe, the console was still being outsold by PS3 in both April and May, 3DS must have had a great Summers, sales wise. So much to be basically steady YOY despite Q1 sales being lower than Q1 2012. Since it's till Q3, Pokémon sales aren't included.

Yikes, would have expected higher sales for a Layton debut. Think the ship has sailed with that one, even Fire Emblem charted in the Top 10 (admittedly in a much quieter release period)

Mpl90

Yikes, would have expected higher sales for a Layton debut. Think the ship has sailed with that one, even Fire Emblem charted in the Top 10 (admittedly in a much quieter release period)

When Fire Emblem debuted third, there were no COD, no Battlefield, no Assassin's Creed, no GTAV, no FIFA14...heck, so many huge franchises releasing this year indeed, even more than usual.

However, I have a gut feeling Layton will have a great debut (even with all these huge games being in charts) in other European countries.

EDIT: Why do you change Kuzco's scene every time. First, it was Iron Man, now Doctor Who. Why :lol

Raist

Banned
The PS4 and Xbone are going to break UK launch records, and CoD isn't going to stop selling in November. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 version increased the next two weeks.

Sure, but the CoD comparison was for week one sales of the different entries. There's a giant gap that won't ever be closed but yeah, I doubt the LTD sales will show such a difference. It'll likely be lower than other titles, though.

Edit: For reference

Week 1 CoD: BO2 sales
360 - 924,000
PS3 - 585,200

Compared to:

Week 1 CoD: Ghosts
465,434 < 360 < 518,320
255,238 < PS3 < 284,240

That's -406k for 360, -301k for PS3 at the very least. People getting next gen versions instead likely won't cover that. Especially in the context of BF4 and KZ.

I suppose if COD does decently in the US, it could see another COD. But I don't really see it happening now unless it does at least a few hundred thousand there. And I previously considered COD one of the few "safe" franchises that may still get ported.

I don't see COD doing all that well in the US on Wii U either.

Mpl90

I think it's a sign of things to come. Besides, it's not like previous Sony system launch games were so inspiring.

Guys, I think the reason is that COD: Ghosts is the first PS4 title to be released in UK. I think that could have played a role, but it's just my guess.

When Fire Emblem debuted third, there were no COD, no Battlefield, no Assassin's Creed, no GTAV, no FIFA14...heck, so many huge franchises releasing this year indeed, even more than usual.

However, I have a gut feeling Layton will have a great debut (even with all these huge games being in charts) in other European countries.

EDIT: Why do you change Kuzco's scene every time. First, it was Iron Man, now Doctor Who. Why :lol

It might be, along with Pokemon, a game that gets its second wind closer to Christmas too. Oh, and also,
That's why :)

Mpl90

It's actually been more resistant to next gen than the other titles. COD > * in terms of sales in this country. Pronouncements of its death are premature.

Nope, FIFA14 has been the far more resistant both in percentages and in actual numbers (just 24% drop). In actual numbers, COD has been slaughtered. Yep, Assassin's Creed IV and Battlefield lost from 200,000 to 300,000 units compared to last entries, but COD lost around 800,000 units.

Two things that shocked me.

1. The PC version of Ghosts charting so high when it and the Wii U together sold 1% of the total sales. What percentage is the Wii U version exactly?

2. Mario & Sonic charting 10th in the Wii U only Chart. Ghosts charted 4th and that's like 0.2% of the total sales of Ghosts or something. How many copies did M&S sell exactly? This has got to be a MASSIVE bomb. Glad I didn't buy it, should go down in price soon. The M&S series is (was) very popular in the UK and not to mention there was no 3DS version to steal any sales. Wow.

Yeah frankly I'm amazed CoD can still produce these numbers after yearly installments and being at the tail end of the generation.

Nope, FIFA14 has been the far more resistant both in percentages and in actual numbers (just 24% drop). In actual numbers, COD has been slaughtered. Yep, Assassin's Creed IV and Battlefield lost from 200,000 to 300,000 units compared to last entries, but COD lost around 800,000 units.

FIFA is the most resistant of franchises because of roster updates. People are more likely to double dip for it.

The bigger they come the harder they fall. That's always been true. However, I think by next year COD will have recovered and it will be massive on current and next gen.

Mario007

It's actually been more resistant to next gen than the other titles. COD > * in terms of sales in this country. Pronouncements of its death are premature.
Well we can't just go around and thrown the next gen excuse all the time. It definitely can't account for 60% of the sales. All three big franchises have their own reasons for being down. Battlefield 4 is not nearly has hyped as Battlefield 3 was. EA spent insane amount of cash to make sure B3 sold well above 10 million to have its own 'COD killer'. This time around the hype and marketing B4 got was akin to games like Dead Space or Mass Effect and thus the effect on awareness of the title was much lower.

Ubisoft itself acknowledged that it doesn't see AC4 selling more than AC3. The reason for this is probably because AC4 is much more of an AC3 spin-off than a mainline title. It looks and feels much closer to something like Revelations rather than a new numbered entry in the series. Also coming into AC3 there was quite a lot of hype and expectation when it came to the overreaching story that simply isn't there anymore. Lastly AC3 did sour the series for many people.

With COD, looking at the numbers, it simply looks like franchise fatique is setting in. It doesn't help that the creative people from IW are gone or that that IW had to create the game for 6 different platforms, this time without the help of sledgehammer. That led the bad reviews and quite possibly will have an effect on the word of mouth.

Sure the waiting for the next-gen versions does account for some sales being lost but definitelly not those astronimical drops.

Raist

Banned
Well we can't just go around and thrown the next gen excuse all the time. It definitely can't account for 60% of the sales. All three big franchises have their own reasons for being down. Battlefield 4 is not nearly has hyped as Battlefield 3 was. EA spent insane amount of cash to make sure B3 sold well above 10 million to have its own 'COD killer'. This time around the hype and marketing B4 got was akin to games like Dead Space or Mass Effect and thus the effect on awareness of the title was much lower.

Ubisoft itself acknowledged that it doesn't see AC4 selling more than AC3. The reason for this is probably because AC4 is much more of an AC3 spin-off than a mainline title. It looks and feels much closer to something like Revelations rather than a new numbered entry in the series. Also coming into AC3 there was quite a lot of hype and expectation when it came to the overreaching story that simply isn't there anymore. Lastly AC3 did sour the series for many people.

With COD, looking at the numbers, it simply looks like franchise fatique is setting in. It doesn't help that the creative people from IW are gone or that that IW had to create the game for 6 different platforms, this time without the help of sledgehammer. That led the bad reviews and quite possibly will have an effect on the word of mouth.

Sure the waiting for the next-gen versions does account for some sales being lost but definitelly not those astronimical drops.

I think something worth noting is that the past couple of months (and next few weeks) have seen almost simultaneous releases of huge franchises:
GTA
AC
CoD
BF
FIFA
That doesn't happen every year.

There's also next gen consoles around the corner, so people won't spend that much on games, especially with bundles. In this context CoD and BF4 also directly compete with KZ.

TheZjman

Banned
Two things that shocked me.

1. The PC version of Ghosts charting so high when it and the Wii U together sold 1% of the total sales. What percentage is the Wii U version exactly?

2. Mario & Sonic charting 10th in the Wii U only Chart. Ghosts charted 4th and that's like 0.2% of the total sales of Ghosts or something. How many copies did M&S sell exactly? This has got to be a MASSIVE bomb. Glad I didn't buy it, should go down in price soon. The M&S series is (was) very popular in the UK and not to mention there was no 3DS version to steal any sales. Wow.

Looking at below 850 units for M&S. Abysmal.

It's funny that CoD has these sales and is dying whereas every other publisher would love for their games to sell that many units in it's first week!

Road

NDS 7,5
PS2 5,9
Wii 4,6
PS3 3,9
360 2,4
PSP 2,0
3DS 1,6
PSV 0,2
WiiU 0,16
Total 28

Other stuff:

Does it say until when is the LTD? March? October?

Thanks.

Mory Dunz

NDS 7,5
PS2 5,9
Wii 4,6
PS3 3,9
360 2,4
PSP 2,0
3DS 1,6
PSV 0,2
WiiU 0,16
Total 28

3DS 347k (343k)
PS3 280k (424k)
360 165k (220k)
Wii 85k (192k)
WiiU 75k
PSP 48k
PSV 48k
NDS 17k
PS2 200 (lol)

Other stuff:

Wii and PSP still selling better than Wii U and Vita in Germany. Sad.

Surprised the DS did so much better than the PS2 there.

Also surprised the Wii U is selling faster than the Vita there.

What do the numbers in parentheses mean?

Majmun

Damn, makes me wonder how many people have pre-ordered the Ps4 if COD can chart 3 weeks before the console gets released.

Top Bottom