• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII: Known bug with library game count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
So I took a peek in the X Rebirth thread and apparently the game is awful? I didn't see that coming. Seems like this is the year of extremely disappointing PC releases between that, Rome TW2 and Company of Heroes 2.

Freezard

Oh my god I just bought Doom 3 BFG. They took away the muzzle flashes? The entire game you are walking through poorly lit rooms with about a dozen guns and a 1000 rounds of ammunition and id said "You know what, let's take away the muzzle flashes." I haven't played Doom 3 since it came in 2004 and literally the first time I started shooting a gun I noticed it. It was the primary light source in Doom 3.

Actually they added a manual flashlight.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I took a peek in the X Rebirth thread and apparently the game is awful? I didn't see that coming. Seems like this is the year of extremely disappointing PC releases between that, Rome TW2 and Company of Heroes 2.

Don't forget all the awful exclusive to PC indie games that were farted out.

Faabulous

I fully expected that. Egosoft games are always broken on release. Just look at Reunion.

Derrick01

Banned
Don't forget all the awful exclusive to PC indie games that were farted out.

You know they don't count to me no matter how they turn out :)

Faabulous said:
I fully expected that. Egosoft games are always broken on release. Just look at Reunion.

This seems more serious though. People are calling it a failed console port that was just tossed out on PC. I guess it's too streamlined.

Hawkie

Will post in the relevant threads in due course (if necessary) but wanted to offer my last Payday2 slot to the regular Steam GAF'fers first - $10.

The_Monk

Here are some impressions for Expeditions Conquistador

Thanks for your impressions and for sending me a PM so I won't miss it fellow GAFfer.

Seems good so far, how's the difficulty? Hoping for not too hard. Can't wait to get it later on on another sale, the Quest/Storyline part got me interested too and it's good to know that the writing is also decent.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Thanks Stump for making me hungry.

Really trying to make myself get into X: Rebirth but it's not clicking. I might wait for a few patches before trying again. It's not as pretty as I thought it'd be either.

The_Monk

Really trying to make myself get into X: Rebirth but it's not clicking. I might wait for a few patches before trying again. It's not as pretty as I thought it'd be either.

If it helps, there has been reports of some GAFfers having a breaking mission bug in the game, making it impossible to proceed any further so I would wait too. The Discussions on Steam Community are not pretty either.

JakeD

i wanted to do something a little different for a giveaway, so i figured it would be cool to include my favorite games of the past few months. i won RL here in a giveaway so i have to return the favor.. All steam keys except RL is a humble gift

ModBot said:
Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Anodyne -- MB-175BB1BFE89B8AA0 - Taken by intheinbetween. 3 entrants total.
Rogue Legacy -- MB-AC54047AD392B9F1 - Taken by Copons. 67 entrants total.
Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed -- MB-F840440B49A48824 - Taken by kulapik. 1 entrants total. - Taken by bloke. 23 entrants total.

t1384782366z1.png

Also, i wanted to include Legend Of Grimrock and System Shock 2. Except because of Humbles slightly crappy new gifting system (and slooow customer service), they have to go to the same person. so instead of going through modbot, i will give them to the first person to link me to their steam profile showing that they don't have either game already (probably not many people!) edit- taken by gwynplaine!

good luck

After playing Skullgirls with an X360 cont I'm even more baffled by the reactions in the Steam controller reveal thread. Granted, I haven't played a fighting game since MK4 on PC (and that with kb), but this sure didn't feel right. So, what did people expect again? There's a specialized controller for this genre for a reason I guess.

There's a really good article on Information Week about Valve's SteamOS and its potential for disruption. Could a full GAF member make a new thread about this?

http://www.informationweek.com/mobile/mobile-applications/why-valves-steamos-could-be-revolutionary/d/d-id/899846?page_number=1

people would just dismiss it. Also lots of speculation, at this point we're better off waiting for CES or when the beta start.

MNC

I'm salty at X Rebirth. Hope they patch it up well.

In the meantime I'll still have X3 in which I never got further than the first mission! Space games are too pretty.

i wanted to do something a little different for a giveaway, so i figured it would be cool to include my favorite games of the past few months. i won RL here in a giveaway so i have to return the favor.. All steam keys except RL is a humble gift

Also, i wanted to include Legend Of Grimrock and System Shock 2. Except because of Humbles slightly crappy new gifting system (and slooow customer service), they have to go to the same person. so instead of going through modbot, i will give them to the first person to link me to their steam profile showing that they don't have either game already (probably not many people!)

good luck

here's my profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/farsicle/games/

been looking for grimrock. doesn't show up in giveaways much either

EDIT: Thanks got it.

The Cowboy

Also, i wanted to include Legend Of Grimrock and System Shock 2. Except because of Humbles slightly crappy new gifting system (and slooow customer service), they have to go to the same person. so instead of going through modbot, i will give them to the first person to link me to their steam profile showing that they don't have either game already (probably not many people!)

good luck
Very nice, many thankies.

Deques

I am probably not gonna win the raffle for RL, but thanks anyway :)

SparkTR

What's wrong with X: Rebirth? My friend said he enjoyed it a lot.

The game has severe technical issues (that will be patched no doubt), but the hardcore fans are angry that it's more dumbed down compared to X3, and that the UI is terrible. Think of all the complaining Morrowind fans did when Oblivion came out, it's the same sort of thing.

A ton of people still enjoyed Oblivion though, so I imagine the same will happen with this. If you want an ambient, accessible space game it will probably be worth checking out.

Holy crap, I didn't realize Rayman Legends was the Daily Deal.

I've been playing it since launch, if anyone buys it and wants some Uplay friends feel free to add me.

Steam/Uplay ID: MadrugadorDG

Copons

I've just finished The Swapper
for the second time, to obtain all achievs and both endings
, and I must reaffirm how much I'm impressed by it.

Storywise it's really intriguing and gives a lot of philosophical and ethical cues to think about.
There could be some plot holes - and they're all pointed out on Steam Community in somewhat unpleasant ways, as they're mostly sci-fi/gaming tropes and in this case one should look more to the main message this game is trying to convey than small details that could seem a little off. Well, I was saying, there could be plot holes, but they won't bother most of players, except super picky ones, but who cares about them.

Gameplaywise we're talking about puzzles, and this may ward off someone (like me :D ), but they're the great kind of puzzles.
There is no tutorial at all (except for the basic commands) but the learning curve of the puzzle mechanics isn't really steep and almost always you immediatly figure out what you need to do, and spend most of the time finding out how you're supposed to do that.
Sometimes are required platforming skills, but one of the mechanics of the game
clicking right mouse button basically slows down everything
makes jumping and landing extremely easy.

Personally, as a non-puzzle-lover, I really liked this approach and it always felt really good solving stuff.

The only one thing that I loathed was the achievements.
(It isn't a spoiler, just an explanation of how to get them, but maybe somebody doesn't like it, so I'm gonna hide it anyway)
You unlock each one of them finding hidden rooms, and this could be fine, if when I say "hidden" I actually mean you have absolutely ZERO clues to how to find them. The only practical way is check guides (on Steam Community there are a couple very well done) and just looking those you notice that they're absolutely impossible to find.
I honestly don't know what's the point of this kind of stuff. Meh.

The game has severe technical issues (that will be patched no doubt), but the hardcore fans are angry that it's more dumbed down compared to X3, and that the UI is terrible. Think of all the complaining Morrowind fans did when Oblivion came out, it's the same sort of thing.

A ton of people still enjoyed Oblivion though, so I imagine the same will happen with this. If you want an ambient, accessible space game it will probably be worth checking out.
I see.

Derrick01

Banned

While comparing the situation to Morrowind-->Oblivion is terrifying to me, I don't think I would mind a little simplification here. The space sim genre is the only one that is too much even for me. I've never been able to figure them out and not for lack of trying, I put over 20 hours into X3 and made virtually 0 progress.

Also, i wanted to include Legend Of Grimrock and System Shock 2. Except because of Humbles slightly crappy new gifting system (and slooow customer service), they have to go to the same person. so instead of going through modbot, i will give them to the first person to link me to their steam profile showing that they don't have either game already (probably not many people!) edit- taken by gwynplaine!

good luck

Nicely done :). Thanks, entered for RL. I know it's grindy but FTL has re-iterated to me that I don't mind that if I'm enjoying the gameplay.

epmode

Let's not get crazy now. Oblivion really did dumb down the Elder Scrolls formula but it was a working game with a design that made sense.

Rebirth seems like it will still be a broken game even when the technical stuff is fixed. There are fundamental design problems, the biggest one being the station landing system.

It seems that the only reason landing on stations is there is because Egosoft spent all that time building a "working" first person mode and station assets. It's detrimental to the game in every way and I can't see them salvaging it. Stripping it out entirely might work though.

sibarraz

Banned
How is the AVGN game?

Pro player Fanatiq does and basically the whole casual fanbase for fighting games on 360. Otherwise the 360 pad is a terrible controller for fighters.

Fanatiq has an special 360 pad from his spoonsor though

Before buying a Stick 1 played with one and overall I could pull lots of hard things, but after using stick, I couldn't play well with it

Jawmuncher

How is the AVGN game?

I've heard that it's pretty good but moreso for the fans and something that would be better bought at 4.99

Totally OT, but just finished up Breaking Bad last night
at 2AM
and holy shit. Incredible show.

Im on Season 5 myself and man this show has been a roller coaster. But not necessarily in a good way. There's times where I love, times where i'm bored, times where it's tense, and times I don't give a shit. Just about every feeling I have had with the show. So i'm hoping that seaosn 5 pushes it into it being a good show for me rather than just a decent show.

HOWEVER Saul is a awesome character

erila

Neo Member
Thanks for Worms Pinball, Mairu!

So I guess wait to buy X: Rebirth?

I'd recommend waiting. It has some serious stability problems and flight stick support is flaky (I have one friend who has zero issues, but others who have given up and use a controller instead). Even with a controller the UI is an absolute mess.

It'll probably be OK in a few months, but if I'd bought it day one (I didn't, I've been watching a friend play, they pre-ordered it and they're livid) I'd be annoyed.

Seanspeed

Banned
I've just finished The Swapper
for the second time, to obtain all achievs and both endings
, and I must reaffirm how much I'm impressed by it.

Storywise it's really intriguing and gives a lot of philosophical and ethical cues to think about.
There could be some plot holes - and they're all pointed out on Steam Community in somewhat unpleasant ways, as they're mostly sci-fi/gaming tropes and in this case one should look more to the main message this game is trying to convey than small details that could seem a little off. Well, I was saying, there could be plot holes, but they won't bother most of players, except super picky ones, but who cares about them.

Gameplaywise we're talking about puzzles, and this may ward off someone (like me :D ), but they're the great kind of puzzles.
There is no tutorial at all (except for the basic commands) but the learning curve of the puzzle mechanics isn't really steep and almost always you immediatly figure out what you need to do, and spend most of the time finding out how you're supposed to do that.
Sometimes are required platforming skills, but one of the mechanics of the game
clicking right mouse button basically slows down everything
makes jumping and landing extremely easy.

Personally, as a non-puzzle-lover, I really liked this approach and it always felt really good solving stuff.

The only one thing that I loathed was the achievements.
(It isn't a spoiler, just an explanation of how to get them, but maybe somebody doesn't like it, so I'm gonna hide it anyway)
You unlock each one of them finding hidden rooms, and this could be fine, if when I say "hidden" I actually mean you have absolutely ZERO clues to how to find them. The only practical way is check guides (on Steam Community there are a couple very well done) and just looking those you notice that they're absolutely impossible to find.
I honestly don't know what's the point of this kind of stuff. Meh.
I like puzzle games, but I'm not hugely into them. I typically just hold out til something comes along that is quite special. I thought Limbo was pretty mediocre from a 'puzzle game' standpoint and its atmosphere and art style really carried it more than anything, for example. An alright game, but nothing I'm going to fawn over or recommend people need to play or anything.

But The Swapper. So good. It has the great art style and atmosphere, but its also a very fresh, mechanically interesting and clever puzzle game, most important of all. I'm nearly done with it and it is definitely one of those special games that I would highly recommend anybody to play.

The whole premise of the story isn't quite as 'thought-provoking' as I was expecting, though. Its an interesting topic and all, but it all felt fairly surface level in terms of the depth of the philosophical reasoning and questioning it provides. Still better than most games, I suppose, but I was hoping for a bit more.

at 2AM

Yes, amazing throughout the series, definetly my favourite tv series ever. I watched the first four seasons on Netflix in one week, I just kept on watching the episodes because you just couldn't stop after some episodes, no chance to fall asleep. Brilliant acting from Bryan Cranston and other cast too, after the show ended I haven't watched any other tv shows, just can't motivate to start one at the moment because I think nothing or very few shows can suck me in like BrBa again. I haven't seen many great series like Sopranos or The Wire so I'll probably be for a treat when I get to watch those. Anyways Breaking Bad amazing series and I recommend it to everyone, watch it..

On gaming side XCOM Enemy Unknown has hooked me almost all day long. Today my colonel sniper died.. but I stay strong and won't load a save even if its my first playthrough. It's now troubling as I have it on console (ps plus) but really want to get that Enemy Within on steam - but it requires the base game.. so probably easiest way would be buying that for console as it is standalone there. But will be having enough to do for the basegame until autumn/winter sale so maybe XCOM EU+EW pack is cheap enough to get it on steam.

Played Skullgirls story mode today also and a few online matches with my Parasoul. Really really good fighter I think, especially when you think that the budget probably wasn't close what it is for Street Fighter or Tekken or any other big fighting series. Ran very well on my laptop, it has a very solid artstyle and music style to go with, which is very important to this game have a unique style - it would be much worse if it was just a cheap copy from other fighters.

Even though I'm just a casual in fighting games, really can't get to myself getting better in those but Skullgirls implements really good tutorial, which was actually pleasant to playthrough. Very solid game, it has pretty few characters though but I think they are well designed. Even though I played it some this free weekend, it still intrigued me enough to buy it down the road.

And thanks NIngenJanai for Expeditions Conquistador writeup! I thought I'd only get Humble weekly for a dollar but that writeup got me interested for getting the BTA tier too.

Tecl0n

I finished Lords Of Shadow UE. What a great game, and considering i don't have a ps3 i was missing a GOW-esque game. (Also, the DLC is mostly terrible, i feel bad for those who paid full price for them)

at 2AM

You'll spend all day listening
to baby blue.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
How is the AVGN game?

Fanatiq has an special 360 pad from his spoonsor though

Before buying a Stick 1 played with one and overall I could pull lots of hard things, but after using stick, I couldn't play well with it

Before he got sponsored though he was on the vanilla stock 360 controller. Also his new pad ain't special at all. It's those terrible shoddy PDP Afterglow Elite pads.

I've had poutine in LA before. You just gotta know where to look.

Will keep this in mind when I goto LA in 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom