• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One sells one million+ (sell through to consumers) in all territories worldwide

Impressive numbers considering it's weaker and more expensive.

For both to do this it's crazy! What's the next big market for the bone?

$h@d0w

Hey, any reason in particular for under shipping free sale stock to the UK, London? Can't find a reasonably priced one anywhere and that's just not cool...

It was like this for the 360 launch too, there was nothing but a handful of non hard drive core units available for weeks in London.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Console sales are just now heatin' up!

Qi95joE.png

Something I've been wondering about PS4 sales....Before the system came out they mentioned they had 1 million preorders and then on launch day they said they sold 1 million units but was the 1 million preorders referring to NA or Worldwide? If it was just NA that isn't impressive because that means all the extra units didn't sell and/or people cancelled preorders.

Im also interested in knowing how many people preordered xbox but the number must have been low since MS isn't sharing.

Pretty sure the 1 million per orders were worldwide not just NA.

Manufacturing sure has come a long way since the last launches. A million consoles in stores the first day is impressive on its own.

Gonna be interesting to see how next week goes. Stocking shelves is the biggest problem ether company have right now.

Sony has to do the EU launch and Black Friday so thats going to be fun to watch.

What is the definition of sold-through? I'm not sales age so I don't know much about these terms.

I just pulled up my old text book:
"sell-through refers to the percentage of units sold in a period."

I think the term itself is confusing and means different things depending on what you learned.

Ps4 was North America only

XboxOne was Worldwide

I for one think the Xbox numbers are rather weak.

Posts like this are so damn entertaining. The amount pf people downplaying these numbers which were released before evening on the West Coast is awesome.

Keep up the good fight.

Wii U is at 1.39 I think in the US.

WHOA... I didn't realize it was so low. WOW!

All in all I'm just glad all the "mobile is the future" people are eating some crow... for now. I hope these sales figures continues. Hopefully more on the PS4 side though! :D

Skilletor

Before the PS4 launch, everybody would think these are great numbers.

I, personally, am not purchasing an XB1 for the forseeable future, but competition is great. It'll keep both companies on their toes and in the end will only benefit gamers.

Edit: lol @ already starting the "Wait for X" meme. :p

Carl

Good numbers, well done MS

Will be interesting to see what PS4 does next week in EU. I think people are overestimating though seeing as UK is the biggest market and the best selling system was PSP with something like 180,000 units on opening weekend. But then, the 1,000,000 in 24 hours number came out of nowhere too so i may be surprised. I like surprises.

lol at people who think console game crash is coming.

This. Blows my mind people thought consoles were done just because PS3/360 were old and getting long in the tooth. This generation was much needed and I really think a 6-7 year console lifecycle is better than 7-10 years. Hardware just can't take it towards the end.

Dukey

Banned
Posts like this are so damn entertaining. The amount pf people downplaying these numbers which were released before evening on the West Coast is awesome.

Keep up the good fight.

Shhhh don't chase them away. It's what makes this thread funny to read.

Racer1977

For MS to suggest their WW launch is "just as good" as Sony's NA launch is simply disingenuous of them (and not for the first time).

Sony sold every machine available in NA and has months of pent up demand, this will be followed by an equally large, if not larger, European launch. Once again, demand is so great every console is accounted for well into the new year.

MS went with a WW launch, some territories received little stock, and I know from my experience today, consoles are still available in stores local to me (UK). By all accounts, it's a similar situation in the US.

Of course, this will become quite clear in the coming weeks and months, but MS were always going to put out a PR, claiming some record or other.

Edit, of course, no ones even mentioned Japan and the Asian market..............

Slashlen

The tough thing about the supply comparison is actually what Sony's doing, not MS. MS launched in 13 countries all at once. Their initial launch is pretty much done now, it's not like they're launching in Europe in 2 weeks. We don't know how much or how little Sony sent to Europe. Sony could have another million+ waiting in the wings for Europe, or they may have shafted Europe with a really small supply to boost the US numbers.

Who knows. Still interesting.

Piggus

Something I've been wondering about PS4 sales....Before the system came out they mentioned they had 1 million preorders and then on launch day they said they sold 1 million units but was the 1 million preorders referring to NA or Worldwide? If it was just NA that isn't impressive because that means all the extra units didn't sell and/or people cancelled preorders.

Im also interested in knowing how many people preordered xbox but the number must have been low since MS isn't sharing.

Worldwide.

And we know the extra units sold because it's very difficult to find a PS4 in stores right now. It sold out pretty much everywhere.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Keep up the good fight.
Why do people keep saying this? I assume that if they thought those were relevant they would have waited to release a PR statement tomorrow morning. I don't understand why they would undercut their own numbers just because.

Edit:
maybe they wanted friday news cycle possibly?

It was like this for the 360 launch too, there was nothing but a handful of non hard drive core units available for weeks in London.

I remember it well. Got to the point where even those started to become hard to come by. I had hoped MS would make more of an effort to have free sale stock, especially with there being fewer tier 1 regions and with there reportedly being no yield issues...

Grimsen

Ps4 was North America only

XboxOne was Worldwide

I for one think the Xbox numbers are rather weak.

I wonder if MS could have sold 1 mil units in the US alone. I doubt it, but that would have been the only way to compare the launches.

NeoGAF would have assploded though. :)

Biker19

Banned
Joke post?

Both launches couldn't be more even. Both sold 1 mil+ units worldwide. Since both companies confirm selling pretty much all their units, it's impossible to say who did better.

Dude, we're talking about a system that has sold 1 million in 2 countries so far, NA & Canada (which hasn't even been released worldwide as of yet), Vs. a system that has sold 1 million in 13 countries. C'mon.

If you didn't think Wii U was fucked before, this last week or so has to cement it.

but what makes me mad is that they are so smug and insistent nothing is wrong. I get that its part of there job to put on a brave face but they need to take a page out of Sony's playbook and start coming off as more humble like maybe they kinda veered away from gamers and come back strong with some games that will attract people. No matter what anyone says mario in a catsuit in a 3D land sequel is not going to ignite sales. Neither is another Zelda title. They need to go beyond that.

Will be interesting to see what PS4 does next week in EU. I think people are overestimating though seeing as UK is the biggest market and the best selling system was PSP with something like 180,000 units on opening weekend. But then, the 1,000,000 in 24 hours number came out of nowhere too so i may be surprised. I like surprises.

PS4 will breeze past all previous UK records. I expect over 250k sold on Friday and Saturday. Anything less would be a disappointment for Sony IMO.

For MS to suggest their WW launch is "just as good" as Sony's NA launch is simply disingenuous of them (and not for the first time).

Sony sold every machine available in NA and has months of pent up demand, this will be followed by an equally large, if not larger, European launch. Once again, demand is so great every console is accounted for well into the new year.

MS went with a WW launch, some territories received little stock, and I know from my experience today, consoles are still available in stores local to me (UK). By all accounts, it's a similar situation in the US.

Of course, this will become quite clear in the coming weeks and months, but MS were always going to put out a PR, claiming some record or other.

London by any chance?

VillageBC

That's not really all that impressive considering this is 2 countries vs 13 countries. One of which being what is considering MS home territory. I can sort of see the rational why they opted for this approach, trying to get it out first in Europe and maybe wrest some of that control away from Sony.

But I think it will backfire, at least short term. Resupply now will be a trickle while Sony has a shot at launching with another 1m+ sales number next week. If we make somewhat of a leap of faith that Sony's claim of 3m consoles total by year end are indicate the resupply cap of both companies. PS4 install base could double XB1 in all territories, including NA.

Haven't seen much noise in the defective XB1 front though. That's nice for all the early adopters.

Jack_AG

Banned
We need another website to make another "dont read too much into sales" article again. What I am reading is that console gaming is alive and kicking and hot fucking DAMN we waited long enough for both machines to come out. Grats all around.

NHale

With this news, the November NPD numbers are going to be pretty one sided in Sony's favor.

NPD doesn't give numbers. And considering Sony has been hiding from giving out numbers for a while to hide their failure, it would be pathetic if they start now. On the other hand, I fully expect Microsoft to fully reveal the results like they have done in the past.

Portugeezer

Gold Member

So you kind of disprove the point you made... PS4 just broke records. It's like saying we shouldn't have expected 1 million+ PS4 sales in 24 hours because xyz past sales. How wrong we would have been.

PS4 is pretty much sold out, so unless they fucked up on shipping numbers it should outsell PSP. I walked into a store and bought a PSP on day one, no biggie.

Worldwide.

And we know the extra units sold because it's very difficult to find a PS4 in stores right now. It sold out pretty much everywhere.

True even in my area which I think kinda leans more xbox I see people, especially moms checking for there kids, asking best buy and target if they got any new shipments on PS4. I haven't seen a frenzy this crazy since wii/360 or perhaps even PS2 in 2000.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This thread is turning into Android vs iPhone sales debates now. 1 vs many.

I get what those are saying about the PS4 numbers...thats just one country. Its hard to imagine sales being lower world wide, especially in Sony's home town.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
With this news, the November NPD numbers are going to be pretty one sided in Sony's favor.

I think they're going to be pretty even. I think it's going to depend on who has the better manufacturing and distribution chain.

We'll get a better idea of how each console is doing 6 months down the road when those constraints are no longer an issue.

NPD doesn't give numbers. And considering Sony has been hiding from giving out numbers for a while to hide their failure, it would be pathetic if they start now. On the other hand, I fully expect Microsoft to fully reveal the results like they have done in the past.

I'm sure the PS4 figure will get leaked. No way it gets kept a secret. Too many people with itchy trigger fingers.

Grimsen

Dude, we're talking about a system that has sold 1 million in 2 countries so far, NA & Canada (which hasn't even been released worldwide as of yet), Vs. a system that has sold 1 million in 13 countries. C'mon.

Both companies say they're pretty much sold out, or so they say.

I agree that Sony's mindshare is through the roof, but if you only take the numbers into account, both companies sold 1m units worldwide on their first day.

Good people risk life and limb leaking good enough approximations of npd's estimates, I'm sure we'll get the numbers next month of all months.

Top Bottom